• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Jeber

• Scot

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Scot informed all the mods that SectorLink, his hosting provider, did an unscheduled server maintenance this morning. Everything seems like it's getting back to normal. As for Firebird, the Mozilla.org ftp site was a bit slow logging in, but I downloaded it and am using it 0.7 now. No problems to report yet. :lol:

This morning Scot’s host (SectorLink), performed unscheduled maintenance on the Linux server that the forum is on. Everything appears to have returned to normal.

Can't connect to the Security and Networking threads in the forum, this is the error message I got:Warning: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'scotsnewsletter.com' (111) in /home/websites/forums.scotsnewsletter.com/sources/Drivers/mySQL.php on line 64Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'scotsnewsletter.com' (111) in /home/websites/forums.scotsnewsletter.com/sources/Drivers/mySQL.php on line 64Warning: mysql_select_db(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/websites/forums.scotsnewsletter.com/sources/Drivers/mySQL.php on line 67ERROR: Cannot find database scotsnewsletterWarning: mysql_query(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/websites/forums.scotsnewsletter.com/sources/Drivers/mySQL.php on line 100 There appears to be an error with the Scot's Newsletter Forums database.You can try to refresh the page by clicking here, if this does not fix the error, you can contact the board administrator by clicking here Error ReturnedmySQL query error: SELECT id, member_id, running_time, location FROM ipb111_sessions WHERE id='6a2236db5df04aa82d13770a20e16ef6' and ip_address='212.238.142.188'mySQL error: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'scotsnewsletter.com' (111)mySQL error code: 2003Date: Wednesday 15th of October 2003 06:31:06 PM

Guest LilBambi

You might want to try again ... it must have been one of those weird timeout type things.I am having no problems getting to the Security and Networking Forum.But I will let Scot and Josh know about the problem you were having.

Dunno what's wrong today, now I'm trying again to connect and there she goes ... no problem. Earlier this day I had the feeling the forum was dying , very slowly till no more speed was in it. Maybe the kid has some hick ups?

I have let Scot and Josh know about it. Was this sending an email, PM or a posting on the board?
Just regular board posts and replies. I got the same error message again today at 8:25 EST.

To offer a little reassurance, Scot and Arena2045 are aware of the problem, feel they know what the cause may be, and are at work trying to find a fix. It may not be immediate, but bear with them. They know how frustrating all this can be.

It may not be immediate, but bear with them. They know how frustrating all this can be.
No problem. It's really not that big a deal. I understand how frustrating and time consuming figuring out these problems must be.

All--This is an open note to everyone about problems with performance or error messages on these forums. I have a day job, a night job, and a personal life. So I may not be able to respond as quickly as we'd all like when the forums encounter problems. But I do respond, and the senior moderators and admins have channels to reach me. They have access to the Admin tools for the forums, in most cases the problems we've had in recent months have had nothing to do with configuration.Our recent move to a Linux server for the forum software has fixed many of the problems we've had before, but as I warned, there were some configurational issues still to work out. And we've had a few extra bumps.But recently, during the second full week of October, we encountered some severe new problems. It turns out the Linux server we were moved to had a giant issue that it took our webhost several days to work out. New error messages, profound performance slow-downs, and some other symptoms were felt by all of us. By Thursday, these problems seemed to have disappeared. We also made a change to the way the Forums use email around that time that may have helped.Long and short, I can't promise you that everything is perfectly fixed forever now. I can promise you this: When we encounter problems, we *will* fix them. Arena2045 and I are both making regular backups of the Forums database. If we ever run into a severe problem with no resolution, I will move the entire Forums to a new webhost if I have to, or do whatever I have to in order to fix them.So, whenever we have problems ... please, post your error messages right here. Striker's message was extremely helpful earlier in this thread. As soon as I saw it I filed a trouble ticket and learned immediately that the problem wasn't with our database, but with our server (and the database files aren't even on our forums server).Also, please be patient. Thanks to everyone for putting up with the inconveniences and error messages of the last month or two. I am now hopeful that we're through the worst.-- Scot