Error messages

Jeber

UPDATE:IPB has rebooted their servers, so we hope the number of errors will decrease or disappear. But in order to help Scot out, if you do continue to get errors when posting, sending PM's, whatever...could you copy/paste a copy of the error page in this thread? It will help in knowing what's causing the errors and perhaps getting rid of them. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Jeber

• Scot

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Jeber, It´s an honor to be the first . . :rolleyes: Posting a new thread in ATL:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 386
Sep 29 2003 . . . 15:18 ( New York Time );) Bruno

I noticed that iajoe has a triple post in the water cooler - Schwarzenegger thread. Looks like it did the hang on posting again. Once again it was a new thread.

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to mail.scotsnewsletter.com:25 in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 459Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 459
At 8:50 EST on September 29.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 386
Me too, trying to post a reply. Thanks for the contributions, folks...these may help. Keep posting them if you keep getting them. With any luck we'll get to the bottom of this weirdness yet.
Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect
You know, Sonic...I guess I'd want to be warned if my fsock was open. :)

I didn't realize that IPB hosted the board.
Sonic, you're absolutely correct and I'm not. :) I was a bit confused, but so that no one else is...IPB is the software we use, but it's hosted elsewhere. Scot had his host reboot the servers, not IPB. Thanks to Arena2045 for the clarification.I would double check my facts better before posting, usually, but, you see, I'm trying to get this job with SCO and... :)

Jeber, just to keep you on the ball:

16:31 New York Time :DThe same one I had before . . gets boring, would like a "fsockopen" too . . . will try harder ! ;)Still, only getting one a day, is much better then before !:thumbsup: Bruno

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 386Just got this. 1:45pm CA time.Can you change the time limit to say 45 or 60 seconds? That might help.

when posting topic at the H2O cooler:

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to mail.scotsnewsletter.com:25 in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 459Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 459
It was able to post the topic (even though I got the above error) but the "View" column said 0!PS. why does the "View" column always say "2" when you first post?PPS. I agree with ibe987654321 about putting a longer delay (time out limit) but I think that may have been increased that just a few weeks ago!I am on a broadband connect if that matters any for this discussion!

Bingo it´s my lucky day:

Time 18:02 :(:thumbsup: Bruno

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to mail.scotsnewsletter.com:25 in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 459Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php
2 minutes ago in "All Linux"I deleted my second post.

why does the "View" column always say "2" when you first post?
Possibly because of the dual posts? I've noticed both 1 view (because I suspect it counts your return to the thread after posting as a view) and 0 views (no idea on that one). But I haven't seen 2 views yet...unless someone snuck in and read it before you could get back there. :rolleyes:

Add another one to the list. 9:02 EST September 30
IPB is the software we use, but it's hosted elsewhere. Scot had his host reboot the servers, not IPB.
I see. Thanks for the clarification :rolleyes:

9:07PM EasternTime when replying to the free AntiVirus thread.It's funny because I was trying something in the Test section and I must have edited my post 4 or 5 times and never saw an error message.I wonder if it only appears in certain sections of the board?

Yup, i just got another one at 9:18 EST September 30

Guest LilBambi

I too have received these timeout errors today ... too many to post times LOL! With probably 60% of my posts/PMs today.I have put through a hot message to Scot about it.

In response to LilBambi's email, I asked SectorLink Support (my webhost) to consider moving me to a different server. I also asked them to reboot the server. At about 10PM Eastern on Sept. 30, I got a message that they had done just that.They've asked me to respond back letting them know whether this helps or not. I have an open trouble ticket; I don't have gobs of faith that this will get resolved quickly or easily, but we have to try.If they aren't able to figure out a solution and they won't move me to another server (which, by the way, will probably cause the forums to be down for at least several hours), then we'll have to start thinking about plan B. Plan B includes these possible scenarios:1. Upgrading to Invision Power Board 1.2 (I'm not real convinced this will solve the problem, but hey, it's worth a shot).2. Switch the entire forum to a separate Linux server at SectorLink. This will nearly double my cost per month, but it may be worth it. Migtrating the board from MySQL for Windows to MySQL to Linux ... ah, we could be in for a rough ride, I don't know.3. Move to a completely new webhost. I can't move the newsletter to a Linux host. The subscribe features -- which work very well -- require Windows.4. Move just the forums to IPB's forum hosting. This is a distinct possibility.Any thoughts anyone has, I'd be open to recommendations.-- Scot

Since other forums using IPB 1.1 don't seem to be having the same problems, or at least at the rate, as we are, I too would doubt the upgrade to 1.2 will solve these issues.I would support whatever change will 1) eliminate or reduce the errors we're getting and 2) result in the smallest cost increase to you. If the costs raise too high, we may have to face the possibility of advertising in the forums (already a reality in some)...and while I don't have a strong objection to that concept, I'd like to avoid it as long as possible. But since this forum doesn't directly generate income for you, increased costs need to be kept at a minimum.Of course, we could always start charging membership fees! :rolleyes:

2. Switch the entire forum to a separate Linux server at SectorLink. This will nearly double my cost per month, but it may be worth it. Migtrating the board from MySQL for Windows to MySQL to Linux ... ah, we could be in for a rough ride, I don't know.3. Move to a completely new webhost. I can't move the newsletter to a Linux host. The subscribe features -- which work very well -- require Windows.4. Move just the forums to IPB's forum hosting. This is a distinct possibility.Any thoughts anyone has, I'd be open to recommendations.-- Scot
Have you seen my post on free web hosting here?http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...&f=10&t=3141&s=

Guest LilBambi

Scot --The server reboot has made a positive affect ... not one timeout since you said it was rebooted ... at least for me and I had quite a few today before they rebooted the server. :thumbsup:

I'm willing to absorb some added costs for the forums. I'm still paying Hostway to host Scotfinnie.com. And SectorLink has a free way to host multiple domains on the same account. So I could move Scotfinnie.com to SectorLink and use that $20 a month to pay for a better Linux-based host for this forum. I do have concerns about that. I use the scotfinnie.com email services that Hostway provides for a variety of things -- including my primary business email. Hostway does a lot of things badly, but email they do well. SectorLink's email is pretty good, but the Control Panel for it is absolutely terrible. And handling redirects and aliases in SectorLink's control panel is hard to do, and not as flexible. You don't need the details; that's really my only concern. That and the fact that maybe SectorLink isn't as reliable as it should be.So, there will be no forum ads here. To tell you the truth, forum ads aren't selling well in most places. Last I heard the PCQ&A.com forum wasn't selling them regularly, for example. Chris Pirillo probably is over at LG, but he's also got a sales staff from what I can tell.Ibe, I'm just not a big fan of free anything like this. I want to be able to call and scream when something goes wrong. I also need mucho bandwidth and disk storage space in order to handle the forums. You don't tend to get either thing with "free." But I appreciate the thought! Very much.I priced out the IBP Forum Hosting solution. Guess what? $20 a month is the plan we need to make it go. When the forum grows, though, it could move up to $45 a month. There's nothing in between, which doesn't please me. They should offer a $30 or $35 service.Anyway, one step at a time.-- Scot

Guest LilBambi

Scot --You are welcome. I know you will find the right niche ... BTW: what kind of bandwidth are you pulling down each month for the forums?

I'm willing to absorb some added costs for the forums. I'm still paying Hostway to host Scotfinnie.com. And SectorLink has a free way to host multiple domains on the same account. So I could move Scotfinnie.com to SectorLink and use that $20 a month to pay for a better Linux-based host for this forum. I do have concerns about that. I use the scotfinnie.com email services that Hostway provides for a variety of things -- including my primary business email. Hostway does a lot of things badly, but email they do well. SectorLink's email is pretty good, but the Control Panel for it is absolutely terrible. And handling redirects and aliases in SectorLink's control panel is hard to do, and not as flexible. You don't need the details; that's really my only concern. That and the fact that maybe SectorLink isn't as reliable as it should be.So, there will be no forum ads here. To tell you the truth, forum ads aren't selling well in most places. Last I heard the PCQ&A.com forum wasn't selling them regularly, for example. Chris Pirillo probably is over at LG, but he's also got a sales staff from what I can tell.Ibe, I'm just not a big fan of free anything like this. I want to be able to call and scream when something goes wrong. I also need mucho bandwidth and disk storage space in order to handle the forums. You don't tend to get either thing with "free." But I appreciate the thought! Very much.I priced out the IBP Forum Hosting solution. Guess what? $20 a month is the plan we need to make it go. When the forum grows, though, it could move up to $45 a month. There's nothing in between, which doesn't please me. They should offer a $30 or $35 service.Anyway, one step at a time.-- Scot
I'm not understanding. If $20 going to $45 a month makes a difference to you, why wouldn't getting something for zero not be a big help? I don't know but these guys sound reputable. They are offering 5BG monthly traffic and $0.99 for each addition GB. Is that in your range or too low? You might check out the features list before skipping this:http://order.1and1.com/xml/static/HostingProfFeatures

04:18 New York Time :w00t::thumbsup: Bruno

Scot-I have a dual Xeon running RH 2.4.20-8smp sitting on a dual OC3 backbone. Apache 1.3.28, MySQL 4.0.15-standard, Perl 5.008, PHP 4.3.2.What is the current Forum storage and what do you see as the monthly burn - storage wise?As you can see from the pic below, this dual Xeon is just twiddling it's iddy biddy thumbs.xeon-status.jpgPM me if this is of interest to you.Marsden

Ok jeber, Time to step up to the podium >> per your request, we all "showed you ours" and now it is time for you to show us ................................. :whistling: