Error messages

Jeber

The error returned was:Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.
Good timing, RB. I just got this one, new for me, when trying to reply to a post that was neither moved or deleted. At least we're getting a little variety in our errors, now. :whistling:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SonicDragon

• Jeber

• Scot

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LilBambi

I have found that when I have a timeout situation, generally the message was actually sent and does appears in the Forum.Since this is what's happening, it appears that it is actually timing out on the return to the board after the message is posted. (Hope that makes sense :whistling: )I have started using control A (select all) then control C (copy), in the message box prior to posting my messages, just in case this happens. That way I can easily recreate the message (from the clipboard) if it doesn't turn up in the Forum. (It always has shown up in my case so far, this was just a precaution).I also have found that, at least in my case, it is best to not hit refresh, back, or "go" in the browser to submit it again after receiving the error message, but to cut off the address in the address bar to the main http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/ and navigate to the Forum to see if my topic or message is already there. It usually is.If not, then you can click Reply, use control V (paste) to put your message (that was saved to the clipboard when you copied the text) into a new message and post it again. It should work more reliably by doing this, or at least it has for me.Hope this helps. It may not be the case for everyone or every browser, but it appears to be true for me using IE.Scot is working on the problem, it appears to have something to do with the hosting server for the Forums.

Yes, the message posted always appears for me in the target forum, even with the timeout message. When the message appears, clcik the dropdown for the back arrow on your browser and go back 2 steps instead of 1. This should get you back to the forum. Then hit F5 for refresh. Doing this will make sure you don't post duplicates.

I have found that when I have a timeout situation, generally the message was actually sent and does appears in the Forum.
Yea, it usually works that way for me too.

Just a quick note: I still have an open trouble ticket with SectorLink and they are looking at all these error messages. Please keep 'em coming if you get anything different.-- Scot

CGI Error The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:
With no text aftter the " : "04:02 New YorkB) Bruno

Folks, I just want you to know that I am working on this. I have a feeling there isn't going to be a quick fix. Moving the forums elsewhere is a distinct possibility. I'm working on this a couple different levels. Hang in there, and feel free to tell me if it's getting better or worse. I could use the feedback.-- Scot

Here's a new one

Sorry, an error occured. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.The error returned was: You do not have permission to view this topic Useful Links: • Forgotten Password Recovery• Register a new account• Our help documentation• Contact the forums administrator
I keep getting this in the water cooler when I try to view the first or third page of the 3 page thread Censorship?At Google?I haven't tried the 2nd page yet. But clicking either the title, the 1 or the 3 gives the above error.

zlim... that's because the thread was moved due to an inappropriate (and off topic post)... We're dealing with the issue as I speak. B)

Folks, I just want you to know that I am working on this...I could use the feedback.
No problem Scot! Thanks for taking the time to figure this out :thumbsup:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:\scotsnewsletter.com\forums\sources\lib\emailer.php on line 386
Sending a PM to Sunrat who had problems posting, his post was there 4x, just wanted to re-assure him and link him to this thread to file his complaint.Hope he did get the PM :o:( Bruno

All -- In case you weren't aware, I moved the Scot's Newsletter Forums over to a Linux server late Friday 10/3. My webhost permitted me a dual-server arrangement. The newsletter's website is still hosted on Windows 2000. The Forums -- which make heavy use of PHP, and which were developed for Linux -- are now running on a Linux server.This change has necessitated a change to the URL of the forums. Any link to the old forum redirects to the top of the new URL, which is:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/So far, I have had no reports of the kind of server errors that we were experiencing before this transition.But if you receive any sort of error message, please report it here! And please copy and paste the error message into your post.There are some issues that have resulted from the migration to the new server:1. Early on there were problems with Forum time as listed in message posts. I think that's resolved, though I'm not positive it is. Let me know if you see that.2. Smileys and some other images displayed in posts may appear to be broken. My experience has been that if you simply click the Edit button for any message with this problem and without doing anything, re-submit it, the error goes away. We have had this exact problem before with this forum software. My take: Don't sweat the smileys. Fix any ones that matter. We have the words. If I can find a way to fix them, I will though.3. The most serious issue is that hypertext links in posts that link to a Forum, Topic, or specific Post are broken in many places throughout the forums. The fix to this problem is not altogether simple. I am looking into it, but I am not rushing into it. We have two choices, manual editing of each post (a big deal) or performing query replaces on the database (also a big deal). While this is being considered, if you come across one that's important, please edit it or report it to a moderator.For the record, the migration went extremely well. And only took me about an hour. And most of that was just FTPing files down and back up to the new location. But there are bound to be a few more bugs popping up. Let us know if you see anything.While I don't know for sure, my gut tells me that this changeover is going to fix the annoying and chronic server error messages of the last several weeks. I've been wanting to move the Forums to a Linux server for a long time. So even though it's been a little trying, this is a good thing. And I hope we'll enjoy a more reliable board from here on in.-- Scot

Thanks Scot.Except for the Links-issues, the forum responds fine and snappy, no error messages up till now, nor having to wait very long till the post is accepted and placed. Same goes for the PM system.Very pleased with the move to Linux ;).B) Bruno

Early this morning I did a time check, and the forum was 3 minutes ahead. Just now I checked, and the times match. Looking good.

I can't believe it only took an hour including FTPing. That is amazing. I would have thought with the size of the database it would have been larger. Thanks for all the planning and work that went into the changeover. It is nice to be done with all those annoying post error messages!

I got this error:

Mail Error!SMTP protocol failure!Host: mail.scotsnewsletter.comReturn Code: Return Msg: Invision Power Board Error: Could not open a socket to the SMTP serverCheck your SMTP settings from the admin control panel
When posting on 10/13/03 at 9:05 EST.

Very erratic ping times... 10:42 pm PSTPinging forums.scotsnewsletter.com [216.89.218.122] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=330ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=180ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=131ms TTL=52Ping statistics for 216.89.218.122: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 110ms, Maximum = 330ms, Average = 187msC:\>ping forums.scotsnewsletter.comPinging forums.scotsnewsletter.com [216.89.218.122] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=140ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=52Ping statistics for 216.89.218.122: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 90ms, Maximum = 140ms, Average = 102msC:\>ping forums.scotsnewsletter.comPinging forums.scotsnewsletter.com [216.89.218.122] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=200ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=971ms TTL=52Reply from 216.89.218.122: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=52Ping statistics for 216.89.218.122: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 110ms, Maximum = 971ms, Average = 368ms

Never saw something that slow. What happened?There must be definitely something wrong.Feels like the forum is dying very slowly under my mouse button, it's getting slower after every click of the mouse. It even times out every 3rd connection attempt. :thumbsup:

anyone else having issues this morning with the forum? i'm getting extremely slow page loads, many timeouts after which i have to hit reload again and again before it worksso much for the windows vs linux hosting arguements. :thumbsup:

same here. I finally got Firebird to work and thought it might be the browser but I'm on IE and I'm getting lots of cannot find server errors or very slow loading.