Slack is back!!!

SueD

Thanks but I think I'm going to give up on getting the scanner to work. It's not something I use very often and if I need it, I can always boot into Mandriva...it works well there.Thanks for the utility...it should prove helpful. :P

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Urmas

• mlangdn

Now for kde. The kde that ships with stock Slackware is a bit crappy. But there is an alternative that works very well, and is maintained by a Slackware contributor.These packages can be found here:http://cardinal.lizella.net/~vbatts/kde/kde4-packages/4.3.1/An easy way to download these would be to just be in your home directory and issue this command from a terminal as a normal user:

lftp -c "open http://cardinal.lizella.net/~vbatts/kde/kde4-packages/4.3.1/; mirror x86"

If you are running x86_64, then do this one:

lftp -c "open http://cardinal.lizella.net/~vbatts/kde/kde4-packages/4.3.1/; mirror x86_64"

Go into the newly created directory without X running when the download is finished and issue this command as root:

# upgradepkg --reinstall --install-new *.t?z

The last thing to do is to either backup or remove ~/.kdeI prefer to remove it when changing versions of kde.

rm -rf /home/yourname/.kde

You cannot use it anyway for this version, but in case you decide to roll back to the previous version, you will have it. I'm betting you will love KDE-4.3.1. It is light-years ahead of 4.2.4.ATTENTION!!!! I changed the code in this window because I had the wrong version. It has to be 4.3.1, not 4.3.2. The code is now corrected. That was a major boo-boo on my part

Edited by mlangdn

Thanks!KDE4 is growing on me. Ever since I installed my video card, it's been behaving beautifully so I think I'll leave it alone. But I've just printed your directions and if I decide to change it, I will. :P

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. That's them, Sue. You can copy those SlackBuilt packages to someplace or your choosing and store them for later use. They really come in handy when you reinstall Slack and are setting it all up again. Many of those SlackBuilds that you made will still install and work fine on your new installation... unless you do something drastic like going from 32 bit to 64 bit.Oh, and that SlackBuild tool that Sunrat showed you is cool, but it takes all the fun out of making SlackBuilds. :P

Mlangdn...thank you! I've got 4.3.1 up and running and everything looks good. :)Urmas... :P Eric...thanks! I'm going to stick with building packages like you showed me. If I want to continue learning all these neat hands-on things, then that's the way to go. ;)

Fixed it. I had the same problem awhile back and I deleted the .kde folder and started over (how's that for being technical?LOL)Nope, no x86_64 on here yet. It's only got 3GB RAM so I figured what's the use?

V.T. Eric Layton

Yanking that .kde directory can be traumatic if you customize like I do. I had KDE4 crash numerous times on me like that in Slack 13. That's why my current Slack 13 installation is using Xfce.

I didn't have much customization done yet. I prefer to do one thing, let it sit for a while and if it's ok, move on to the next thing, let that sit for a while, etc. That way, if a problem arises, I can usually pick off the culprit right away (I learned to do that with Firefox a long time ago). The crash happened just after I changed the wallpaper. I'll wait and try that again tomorrow.

V.T. Eric Layton

Good luck with that crash tracking method you're using. After my third or fourth crash trying to setup KDE4 in just one evening, I was pretty much finito with that, you know. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, it's a fine method. I'm just being facetious because I don't have a whole lot of faith in KDE4 right about now. :)

Oh I know you had problems with KDE4. I was lucky in that I didn't have too much trouble. My wallpaper's changed (thank you) and tomorrow, I may change my theme. If all goes well, I'll tackle the panel. Look out, I'm on my way!

Do not use any gtk themes! That will crash the system and not allow you back in until you delete .kde again. GTK stuff just don't work yet. Left over Gnome stuff without enough support built in for that.You will really enjoy this version. :)

Edited by mlangdn

Do not use any gtk themes! That will crash the system and not allow you back in until you delete .kde again. GTK stuff just don't work yet. Left over Gnome stuff without enough support built in for that.You will really enjoy this version. :)
Good to know...thanks!

Kde-4.3.3 is now in -current. I upgraded this morning and all seems to be well. The phonon package was removed from -current (read the changelog), so I removed it before the upgrade. The only issue is that Amarok won't play mp3 files without it. This is not much of an issue for me since I'm not a music nut. I only have one mp3 file on this box, and it will play in gxine just fine. Maybe Amarok is the next fix.I've been running -current since Slackware64 first came to life - and on my main production rig. I kinda like the bleeding edge, and I've not lost more than a pint of blood on any upgrade. I can always roll back.