Slack is back!!!

SueD

Woohoo, I've got Slackware 13.0 installed! Long story short, what I ended up doing was replacing my daughter's sata drive with a small one I bought yesterday.Ok, so in the past couple of hours since it was installed, I noticed some different things... KDE 4...not too keen on it but if it behaves better than Mandriva's ever did for me, I'll keep it.Slackpkg...oooh Eric, I understand your trepidations about it! It will take some getting used to but I think it's doable, don't you? And speaking of slackpkg, I guess I have to use it to d/l and install all in one shot eh? No more LinuxPackages. Well, how the heck am I supposed to know what I want if I don't have a list to choose from? :thumbsup: The shell...eeewwww, what's with the ugly grey background?! ;) Gotta change that when I figure out how.Dolphin and Thunar...I'm not impressed. How do I make Konqueror the default file manager?Y'know I'll have more questions later so I'll be back. :P

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Urmas

• mlangdn

Simple problem with a simple solution, I'm sure, but I can't figure it out. If I try opening anything in the menu bar, say Preferences, it's tiny and when I stretch it, it's blank. Help!

Default file manager snafu: Right click on a(ny) folder and then select "Properties". Next, click the settings button button next to “Type: Folder”. Move Konqueror up the list to the top and then apply the changes. C'est tout... but give Thunar a chance; it ain't bad. :thumbsup:EDIT:

I'm sure, but I can't figure it out. If I try opening anything in the menu bar, say Preferences, it's tiny and when I stretch it, it's blank.
Uh... explain this to me again, s'il te plaît. Stretch what? The Preferences window? ;)

Default file manager snafu: Right click on a(ny) folder and then select "Properties". Next, click the settings button button next to "Type: Folder". Move Konqueror up the list to the top and then apply the changes. C'est tout... but give Thunar a chance; it ain't bad. :thumbsup:
Merci! Thunar's not bad but I like konqueror. ;)

Slacker Suester,See the above edit. No comprendo. :thumbsup:
Sorry, I'm in such a hurry to play!Anything in the menu list that requires a window to pop up...Preferences, Page Source, About Mozilla Firefox...anything that uses a window. The window does pop up but it's smaller than minimized. So if I right click and choose Maximize or Resize, it will get bigger but it's also blank.

AHA! Just grab the window border with el moose, hit the left antler and streeeeetch. Or am I missing something here? ;)
Unfortunately, that doesn't work. All I get is a blank window. :thumbsup:

Anything in the menu list that requires a window to pop up...Preferences, Page Source, About Mozilla Firefox...anything that uses a window. The window does pop up but it's smaller than minimized. So if I right click and choose Maximize or Resize, it will get bigger but it's also blank.
Reading this over and over again . . I think I start to understand what you are trying to say . . . but I get the impression this only applies to Firefox, is this indeed the case ?Anyway, congrats on your 13.0 Slack install :thumbsup: ;) Bruno

Reading this over and over again . . I think I start to understand what you are trying to say . . . but I get the impression this only applies to Firefox, is this indeed the case ?Anyway, congrats on your 13.0 Slack install :thumbsup: ;) Bruno
Thanks. :)Yup, it only applies to Firefox. Kinda makes it hard to configure my FF settings if I can't get in there to do so. :(@Urmas...No 3D candy up and running and it doesn't matter what theme I use...but thanks for trying to help. :P

If you click on the top of the window ( where it says "Firefox" in the main window but will have another title in the popup ) you get a menu --> Advanced --> Special wondow settings, there you can try to force the size of the window when it pops up next time.:thumbsup: Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Sue,Yeah... I'll manage with Slackware package management. SwareT didn't seem to be a supported app any longer, anyway. It hasn't had an update in ages. LinuxPackages and SlackBuild are both retooling for the new package management scheme. You should already see some newer packages there for Slack 13.You can choose Konq as your default file manager instead of Dolphin. Try Dolphin for a bit, though. It's pretty cool!I don't know what you're trying to resize. Further explanation please? :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton
 # apt-get install <your proggy>

No. No. That's not it.Ah!

# pacman -S <your proggy>

Uh... no. That's not it either.AHA!

# yum install <your proggy>

Aw phooey! So many Linuxes... I just can't keep them all straight. 44.gif

# apt-get install <your proggy>

No. No. That's not it.Ah!

# pacman -S <your proggy>

Uh... no. That's not it either.AHA!

# yum install <your proggy>

Aw phooey! So many Linuxes... I just can't keep them all straight. 44.gif

:hysterical:

I don't know what you're trying to resize. Further explanation please? :)
Got it... ALL of the... let's call 'em Firefox's config/info/etc. windows (such as View --> Page source, Help --> About FF etc.). So... the problem - methinks - is that they open... ahem... teeny-tiny, and when Sue tries to resize/maximize them, they turn (sic!) blank. Right, Sue?Hey Sue... another FF theme, maybe? Or can you change it?EDIT: Aha... a reboot... sooo Windoze-y. :hysterical:

Yup, THOSE windows.LOLSorry Urmas. I tried just closing and reopening my browser but it was still a no go. Funny how a reboot fixed things, eh? Could it be the ghost of Vista past is still on this machine? :hysterical:

Sonofagun, how do you install just one thing? All I want is to install flash. Every site I read says "Once you have xxxx installed..." yet they don't explain HOW to install. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

A-muddling we will go,A-muddling we will go.Hi-ho the dairioA-muddling we will go.Or...I'm a muddler, she's a muddlerWouldn't you like to be a muddler too?:hysterical:

:hysterical: I have to play around and read some more about 13.0 before I make up my mind. Right now, it's got me more than a little frustrated, but that's not a bad thing. I love the ah-hah! moments when I finally figure out something, even if I need a little hint or some direction on how to do it. But I do like learning something new. :)