Slack is back!!!

SueD

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I'm just impressed that you're a girl using Slack. That's like a girl who can hammer nails and tighten bolts, you know. Always impressive. :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Urmas

• mlangdn

Well, I'm just impressed that you're a girl using Slack. That's like a girl who can hammer nails and tighten bolts, you know. Always impressive. :)
Hammering nails and tightening bolts are nothing. I can tape drywall, change a faucet and snake out a toilet without building up a sweat. :)

Got my Firefox issues fixed and properly configured to my liking and my nvidia driver installed. Everything looks good. But I still can't figure out how to install. Let's say I wanted to install pysolfc from SlackBuilds. Do I opt for the tar.gz or tar.bz2? I've gone through their How To's over and over and over again and I just don't get it.I'm so frustrated and am close to giving up on Slackware. :(

I use "slackpkg" to install packages in slackware . . . but these are .txz packages. ( most of them from the Slack repositories ) :( Bruno

V.T. Eric Layton

Sue, if you download something from SlackBuilds, you have to actually "build" the SlackBuild before you can install it. It's really easy, though... http://slackbuilds.org/howto/ Once you have your SlackBuild built, you just install it using the old "#installpkg" command. Easy-peasy! :(

Bruno, how do you see what's available in the repositories?Eric, not so easy peasy for me. I've tried that before with 11 or 12 but gave up. Spent 2 hours trying to figure it out...I totally give up.

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, here's a step by step for you...1) Go to SlackBuilds website using your favorite browser.2) Enter the name of the application you want into the search window, making sure that the version of Slack is set to your version.- In your case, you want to search for pysolfc.- Oooh, looky! There's a pysolfc SlackBuild available for Slack 13. Outstanding!3) Click on the pysolfc search result. The page will change to the pysolfc SlackBuild page.4) Scroll down a little to where you see "Download SlackBuild:" - OK, now click on the pysolfc.tar.gz link to download the SlackBuild to a directory of your choice on your system.5) Extract the SlackBuild:

$ Sue@Slack13:~$ tar -xvf pysolfc.tar.gz

- This will create a nice new pysolfc.tar directory there for you.6) Go back to the pysolfc SlackBuild page in your browser and scroll down a little to where it says "Source Downloads"- Click on PySolFC-1.1.tar.bz2 (56aca8101b3534aaf3564c40ed6824f1

Sue_is_ROOT@Slack13: # cd /home/sue/downloads(<-- just an example)/pysolfc

8) Once Sue_ROOT is in there, make the SlackBuild script executable by doing this:

Sue_is_ROOT@Slack13: # chmod +x pysolfc.SlackBuild

*NOTE - Check to make sure the script is called what I posted here. I haven't built pysolfc in a while.9) Now run the SlackBuild script:

Sue_is_ROOT@Slack13: # ./pysolfc.SlackBuild

*NOTE - Check to make sure the script is called what I posted here. I haven't built pysolfc in a while.- It will do funky Linux kind of stuff in the terminal window for a bit.10) If all went well, you can now navigate to your /tmp directory:

Sue_is_ROOT@Slack13: # cd /tmp

- and install the new application that you see there:

Sue_is_ROOT@Slack13: # installpkg pysofc_SlackBuild.txz

All done. Your games should be in your KDE menu under "Games - Card Games". :)See! Easy-peasy pumpkin pie! By the way, the man who created and maintains that SlackBuild, Matthew Fillpot, is a pal o' mine from Linux.com. :(

Ohmygosh it worked!!! Thank you thank you thank you! :( I'm going to print off your instructions. They were the clearest I have ever seen. You really should think about being a How To writer...you're really good at it!Thanks again Eric, it is very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Bruno, how do you see what's available in the repositories?
I used to look them up here: http://packages.slackware.it it had a read good search engine for the packages but the site is broken for the moment.Next good thing would be ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/sla....0/FILELIST.TXT . . . it is harder to search but it's the best I can come up with for the moment.:( Bruno

Thanks Bruno. :)I used to go to that first site you linked but noticed it's been down for a bit now. And I think the second one is beyond my understanding.I just found another problem...no printer. I ran hp-set up and got

No protocol specifiedhp-setup: cannot connect to X server :0.0
I don't think 13.0 likes me very much. *sigh*

V.T. Eric Layton

To find out what's in the repos, you can just navigate to the server that you use for SwareT or Slackpgk and manually search it using your browser. However, both SwareT and Slackpkg have a search tool...# swaret --search Example:

# swaret --search gimpswaret 1.6.3-2Listing available Packages matching Keyword: gimp...gimp-2.4.7-i486-1 (15691 kB) [Status: INSTALLED]gimp-help-2-0.8-noarch-1 (17365 kB) [Status: INSTALLED]

Or...

# slackpkg search gimp

A wildcard (*) would be like this:

# swaret --search moz*

This would list all available packages beginning with "moz".=====Glad you got the SlackBuild working, Sue! :( All SlackBuilds build the same way, sister. It's easy-peasy. :thumbsup:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Havinzie funzies! Ya! :( By the bye... FAR be it from me to tell anyone here at ATL to RT*M, but...

Sue@Slack13:~$ man slackpkg

Lots of good info in there. :thumbsup:

Oooh, I did read that! Once I learned what RT*F meant a few months ago, I read read read.LOL I'm a tactile learner so unless there are specific instructions on how to do something, it doesn't sink in. So I usually have to learn by wondering "What happens if I do this?". How else do you think I've had to install Slackware over and over and over throughout the past couple of years? :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, Sue knows me better than that. She knows I'd never dump her with a statement like that. However, in this instance the slackpkg manual is really pretty helpful. :(

V.T. Eric Layton

By the way, Sue... whenever you build yourself a SlackBuild, don't forget to save it somewhere. I have a whole directory full of SlackBuilt apps for Slackware 10, 11, and 12. That way, you don't have to go through all that fun to build one the next time you need it. :(

I only found out last winter what that phrase meant. I'd heard it the first week I tried linux. It's a good thing I didn't know what it meant then because that kind of answer would have turned me off for sure. But I've found over the past 3+ years that not all people in the linux community are actually that rude. I do read the man pages...I always have. I also look for answers in google before I finally come in here asking for help. I'm understanding the technical terms a little better since I started but I still have a lot to learn. Knowing what the terms mean doesn't help if you don't have a clear understanding of how to apply them.

By the way, Sue... whenever you build yourself a SlackBuild, don't forget to save it somewhere. I have a whole directory full of SlackBuilt apps for Slackware 10, 11, and 12. That way, you don't have to go through all that fun to build one the next time you need it. ;)
Is that what's in my /tmp folder under SBo?That's a great idea and I will...thanks for the tip! For a while though, I'm going to practice building them so I can get the hang of doing them. What shall I build next? :P

I just found another problem...no printer. I ran hp-set up and got
No protocol specifiedhp-setup: cannot connect to X server :0.0
I don't think 13.0 likes me very much. *sigh*
Is CUPS installed? And is it running?

I just got CUPS up and running. Nothing I tried yesterday worked but it seems fine now. However, I've got an all-in-one and it won't scan. Earlier this morning, I tried running hp-setup again before trying to get CUPS to work. Different message from yesterday...error: No devices found on bus: usb.

Are Sane and xsane installed (and if I'm remembering well ???) libaio ?Added:HP multifunction printer/scanners require that your user account be a member of the "lp" group for hp-toolbox to work properly. I've read that somewhere and it was especially for Slack 13.

sane-1.0.19-i486-3 and xsane-0.996-i486-1 both installed. So is libaio-0.3.106-i486-1.ETA...brb, will check "lp" group.

Edited by SueD

Download this for use with Slackware:http://www.sbopkg.org/This nifty utility will allow you to browse all of SlackBuilds.org, and it will also build and install the package - including downloading everything you need. It will do this for both 32 bit and 64 bit. I think all of the Slackbuild scripts now automatically build to the proper arch. This is very handy.The printer thingy is a permissions problem. Got to /dev/bus/usb/002 and change the permissions on all the character devices to 666:

chmod 666 001

Do this for all the devices in that folder, then rerun hp-setup. This will only last until the next reboot, but your printer will be fine forever. That said, only the scanner portion will fail to work after a reboot. Plus, the hp-toolbox will have an error in communicating with the device,and will not show things like supply levels. That's not a big deal, unless you use the scanner a lot. There is a way to make this permanent somewhere in udev, I think, but I have been too lazy to explore how. :P