Moose Goes Penguin

Acadia

Bill why don't you get an external HDD and install a linux distro there. I have 4 distros installed on an external drive and use the Grub menu on my main drive to boot em. But you could, during install place the bootloader entirely on the external drive therebyavoiding messing with the MBR on your system drive.Or cheaper yet just get a spare drive and swap it out with your system drive when you want to run linux or slave it to your system drive and install the linux bootloader to it.All this depends on you machine's/BIOS's ability to boot from an external HDD or boot from a slave drive.I'm fortunate in that my notebook has a setting in the BIOS that when enabled allows me to choose the boot medium without entering the BIOS proper.I just have to press f12 before the POST is done and I'm presented with a menu showing the available drives. Of course the USB drive has to be attached before this point.
Hi Frank, Good to talk to you again!! This post really got my attention. I too wanted to install a distro (to a flashdrive) but now I prefer your suggestion of using an external hard drive and I would opt to 'place the bootloader entirely on the external drive'. Then I could access the linux distro at bootup instead (by using the F12). I don't know if my bios has the capability of booting from the external drive but I'd still like to try, just in case. Do you happen to know if there is a step by step written method (ie link to website) of installing the distro onto the external drive, with wording written for no-experience linux users. I prefer to call myself newbie only to let folks know that I cannot understand the linux terminology like a regular linux user does. Otherwise, I'm an oldie wanting to flip OS's at will. Is there such a step-by-step recipe to install to external drive, written for a newbie? Thanks so much for any ideas!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Acadia

• Urmas

• V.T. Eric Layton

• sunrat

Frank Golden
Hi Frank, Good to talk to you again!! This post really got my attention. I too wanted to install a distro (to a flashdrive) but now I prefer your suggestion of using an external hard drive and I would opt to 'place the bootloader entirely on the external drive'. Then I could access the linux distro at bootup instead (by using the F12). I don't know if my bios has the capability of booting from the external drive but I'd still like to try, just in case. Do you happen to know if there is a step by step written method (ie link to website) of installing the distro onto the external drive, with wording written for no-experience linux users. I prefer to call myself newbie only to let folks know that I cannot understand the linux terminology like a regular linux user does. Otherwise, I'm an oldie wanting to flip OS's at will. Is there such a step-by-step recipe to install to external drive, written for a newbie? Thanks so much for any ideas!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Hi Katy, First determine if your machine can boot from a usb external drive. Second what OS is on your machine now?

Hi Katy, First determine if your machine can boot from a usb external drive. Second what OS is on your machine now?
Ok, I checked the Phoenix Bios, on the advanced tab there is an option for External Drive Boot currently set to [Disabled]. I am using Vista Ultimate on this laptop that I would connect the WD external drive to. This WD will never have a vista driver available but it works enough for monthly vista manual backups. I have 180gb free on the WD, 33gb free on the internal drive.

Frank Golden
Ok, I checked the Phoenix Bios, on the advanced tab there is an option for External Drive Boot currently set to [Disabled]. I am using Vista Ultimate on this laptop that I would connect the WD external drive to. This WD will never have a vista driver available but it works enough for monthly vista manual backups. I have 180gb free on the WD, 33gb free on the internal drive.
Hi Katy, Check this out.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331994I would provide a small ext3 partition (10-12 GB) on your external drive.I suggest Ubuntu 8.10 and obtain the liveCD .iso and either burn the image to cd or using this windows programhttp://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/create a live USB flash from the .iso.The liveUSB is much quicker to load and use than the liveCD.Use either to make sure your hardware will function with Ubuntu.

Mandriva had a built-in firewall which was easy to setup. I've been looking for a firewall in Ibex but I cannot find one (I'm probably looking right at it). Is there a built-in firewall in Ibex and, if so, where is it? Thanks.Acadia

Whenever I close VirtualBox I receive this message. Where do I find these settings that this message is mentioning? I receive this message when using both Mandriva and Ubuntu, but currently just interested in adjusting Ubuntu.24color.pngThank you!,Acadia

Edited by Acadia

I would tick the box "don't show this message again" and press "OK" ;)The difference from 16 to 32 bits will not/hardly be visible in the VB window . . . . and In Linux most distros do behave correctly at 24 but not at 32. 16 is a safe value that every Linux will be happy with.B) Bruno

I would tick the box "don't show this message again" and press "OK" ;)B) Bruno
Thanks, Bruno, that makes sense because everything looks just fine.Acadia

I would tick the box "don't show this message again" and press "OK" ;)
Yup. Besides, no matter what the message says, the virtual machines ARE running @24 bits; here's what Mandriva says (MCC --> Hardware --> Set up the graphical server):kuvakaappaus23lt3.png :thumbsup: Ubuntu and firewall, then; Ubuntu comes with a thingy called "ufw" [uncomplicated FireWall]; it's a command line tool. There is a GUI tool called "Gufw" ( http://gufw.tuxfamily.org/index.html ) available, however (GUI Penguin strikes again! B) ); you can install it with Synaptic, but if you prefer the latest version, you can download and install it here (direct download link):http://gufw.tuxfamily.org/latest-ufw-deb.htmlDownload the package (onto your Desktop, for example), and double click on it. Easy as that. Once installed, you can find it in System --> Admin --> Firewall configuration:kuvakaappaus21ke9.png :)

LOL!! Ok, so the Firefox that came with Mandriva was 3.0.3. I noticed at the Mozilla website that 3.0.5 was available. So I downloaded it. Now ... where the heck did it go and how do I install it.THANKS,Acadia

...and how do I install it.THANKS,Acadia
Don't. It'll come among other updates eventually. (As for "where did it go...": probably into your home directory - depending on where your Firefox is downloading stuff into,) B) EDIT: I checked my Mandy... Firefox IS 3.0.5. Have you done the updates? A red circle with an exclamation point on the bottom panel?

A couple of observations:-- First, how would the Mods prefer for me to ask my many probably future questions, by adding to this thread, or creating new threads as I post new questions?-- I think I see what I did the other day when I thought that my post had been deleted because I almost just did it again; I Previewed my post and thinking that I had posted it, I almost closed down my browser. All that I said the other day, while in the middle of frustration, was some off-the-cuff remark to the effect "No Microsoft installation ever took me any way near this long" or something like that.-- Good grief, 382 updates for Mandriva but Firefox must have been among them because it is now 3.0.5. I suppose that you folks who are constantly playing with this stuff are used to this many updates.-- Having this many updates kind of makes me concerned for my future with Linux. You see, once GG and I retire and move to the island, I don't know what our Broadband situation will be. Broadband has just come to the island and where we will be living I don't know, plus it is not nearly as fast as Comast.-- I think that I am going to have to delete the Ubuntu Snapshot in VB because drive space is really starting to get kind of tight, and I appear to like the look and feel of Mandriva a bit better. Probably means that I won't be playing with any other flavors of Linux either. But hey, this could give me the excuse that I've been waiting for to finally purchase a new system!Thanks to all, again.Acadia

A couple of observations:-- First, how would the Mods prefer for me to ask my many probably future questions, by adding to this thread, or creating new threads as I post new questions?
Up to you, really; of course, it would be more logical to use the one-question-per-thread approach, but on the other hand you're taking your first steps with this stuff and you're bound to have LOTS of questions, so... ;)
-- I think I see what I did the other day when I thought that my post had been deleted because I almost just did it again; I Previewed my post and thinking that I had posted it, I almost closed down my browser. All that I said the other day, while in the middle of frustration, was some off-the-cuff remark to the effect "No Microsoft installation ever took me any way near this long" or something like that.
Has happened to me as well... ahem... MORE than once. B) :rant: :) :thumbsup: As for comparing the time is takes; the "base install" of a Linux distro is much faster than that of Windows... no reboots in the middle of the process etc. The amount of time you'll spend "pimping" your install varies from one distro to another; for example, with Ubuntu and Mandriva FREE etc., you're gonna have to install Flash, Java, non free multimedia codecs etc "afterwards", whereas with Mandriva ONE, Linux Mint etc. they are included in the base install.
-- Good grief, 382 updates for Mandriva but Firefox must have been among them because it is now 3.0.5. I suppose that you folks who are constantly playing with this stuff are used to this many updates.-- Having this many updates kind of makes me concerned for my future with Linux. You see, once GG and I retire and move to the island, I don't know what our Broadband situation will be. Broadband has just come to the island and where we will be living I don't know, plus it is not nearly as fast as Comast.
382 updates SINCE IT (Mandy One 2009) WAS RELEASED in 2008/10/09. Remember that this includes all the software [aka "program] updates as well. As a rule, the first couple of months are the "worst"... I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS [Long Term Support]. as my "main distro" [released in April], and nowadays it gets MUCH less updates than Ubuntu 8.10 [released in October]. Furthermore, you can "filter" your updates, so that - for example - if bandwith is an issue, you'll get notifications for security updates only.
-- I think that I am going to have to delete the Ubuntu Snapshot in VB because drive space is really starting to get kind of tight, and I appear to like the look and feel of Mandriva a bit better. Probably means that I won't be playing with any other flavors of Linux either. But hey, this could give me the excuse that I've been waiting for to finally purchase a new system!
An excuse for a new system is always welcome... so far, my solution is to use an external HDD; I run my virtual machines "from" there. :)

LOL!! Ok, so the Firefox that came with Mandriva was 3.0.3. I noticed at the Mozilla website that 3.0.5 was available. So I downloaded it. Now ... where the heck did it go and how do I install it.
Usually - with all distros - we wait for the maintainer of the distro to upload updates for packages that come with the distro. That way you get no conflicting versions and you only need one button to do the updates for ALL programs installed ( that is why there often are that many updates: the distro you install come with 100's of programs, programs you usually have to install additionally if you run Windows )Also . . . sometimes you will see an update for FF in the package manager that seems of a lower version number then posted on the Mozilla FF site. Also in this case you should not worry because some additional security features of the next version could already have been backported in the version you are getting from the distro-update-tool.So . . . long story short: do not get updates directly from the website of the programs you run . . . but wait for the distro to make updates available.B) Bruno

Wishes.png

Thanks, guys. I must admit, I am having a real blast with this stuff ... gotta have the state of mind to keep it that way, keep it fun! Shame I'm running out of space and my RAM and processor (at least I think) are struggling but making do. I'm drooling at the idea of getting a new system but Urmas' idea of getting an external hard drive would be financially much more realistic: $150 vs. $1000. Still, would be nice to have a modern dual or quad core processor and tons of RAM.Acadia

Still, would be nice to have a modern dual or quad core processor and tons of RAM.
Sure, speaking as someone who, since the last 10 or 11 months, actually has a Q6600 with 4G of RAM I can tell you that it is B) . . abolutely :thumbsup: ;) . . mind-blowing ! See it like this: if you do upgrade your current you need to add 1 G or RAM to that P3/P4 before even tnhinking of adding an external HD ( which BTW is slow )So the expense will go up from that $100 in any case !And I am sure you should be able to build a quadcore with 4G RAM and a decent Nvidia *) graphics card for around $700 if you do not take the very latest model **) CPU ( the Q6600 actually is really good and not that pricey anymore )Think about it this way: You will be set for another 4 years to come !:) Bruno

Wishes.png

*) In Linux, Nvidia is far better supported then ATI !!**) Buying hardware that is released more then 6 months ago makes sense if you are running Linux . . . it takes longer to get Linux drivers ready for your distribution because HW vendors do not care that much about Linux.

Hi Katy, Check this out.http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331994I would provide a small ext3 partition (10-12 GB) on your external drive.I suggest Ubuntu 8.10 and obtain the liveCD .iso and either burn the image to cd or using this windows programhttp://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/create a live USB flash from the .iso.The liveUSB is much quicker to load and use than the liveCD.Use either to make sure your hardware will function with Ubuntu.
Thanks Frank for the links! This should give me a good start, for either the LiveUSB or external drive. I like the idea of either of them, as long as I can put Grub on the USB or external drive. If I have probs, I'll start a new thread. Thanks Again!! Edited by katy98