Moose Goes Penguin

Acadia

Puppy is actually quite amazing. One of the fastest distros on the planet as it runs completely from RAM. But I wouldn't recommend it to start either. It does nearly everything different from any other OS, so takes a little learning.It's main developer is an Aussie though. :hysterical:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Acadia

• Urmas

• V.T. Eric Layton

• sunrat

Bill, keep with Ubuntu and stay away from Mandriva. I just installed it on my system . The install did not go smoothly (several times) and repeatedly results in an install that gives fatal gconf errors and the inability to start gnome apps as root. I don't know how anybody can say Mandrivia is a starter distro. I'm no newcomer to linux but these issues with Mandriva have me stumped.This could only give a newcomer a bad taste.

V.T. Eric Layton

You may be biased. But I'm not from "down under" and I think Puppy is a fabulous distro... for what it's intended for, anyway. I was using it and SLAX on USB sticks; both running 100% from RAM. Amazingly fast! :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Mandriva might just not like your system, Frank. It installed easy-breezy on my system. No tribbles at all.Er... by the way, Bill... you'll come to find, just as in the MS Windows community, that there are a WIDE VARIETY of opinions on Linux distributions and other topics. :)

Er... by the way, Bill... you'll come to find, just as in the MS Windows community, that there are a WIDE VARIETY of opinions on Linux distributions and other topics. ;)
LOL! I was actually starting to come to that opinion ... not sure what to do now but with my system of backups I just might just play for the heck of it knowing that I can do no harm and who knows, I just might discover something useful. In the mean time I have come to the conclusion that the Linux folks are computing more securely than the MS folks ... but are more confusing! :) Acadia

V.T. Eric Layton

Confusion is indirectly proportional to knowledge, my friend. The more you learn about GNU/LInux, the less you'll be confused. ;)

Hey, Urmas, I am posting this from Firefox which is being run from Mandriva which is running inside of VirtualBox; your step-by-step tutorial was perfect. I did not understand all the step that I did and why I was doing some of them but it worked! I will have some more questions but first I gotta play a little bit. THANK YOU.Acadia

Ok, questions, probably the first of many for you, Urmas, or anyone else who can answer:1. During the install, the step where Urmas says, "...time for coffee", what exactly was installing there? It appears to me that something downloaded from Mandriva, but I thought that I already had the program, the 702mb .iso file that I downloaded the other day. Did it need a second download of some sort?2. The ad, splash screen, or whatever it is, that remains on the desktop, that says "Join Mandriva" and "Upgrade to PowerPack", any way to get rid of that big thing in the darn middle of my desktop?3. The install used up 2.87 gig of my hard drive, that certainly was expected. Now, using VirtualBox, if I add bookmarks and add extensions to Firefox, and save another Snapshot, would that be another 2.87 gig, or would that new Snapshot simply build upon the old one, sort of like a backup program that uses increments?4. Do I need to install a Firewall inside of this Virtual Operating System for surfing the net? Would my present software firewall be enough or would it not be working since it is based in host XP and I am surfing in virtual Mandriva? I am behind a router anyway so this is not too big of a deal, just that I've always been behind two firewalls and I'd still like one that checks the outgoing signals.Thank you,Acadia

Edited by Acadia

1. Probably auto updates.2.There should be a close button somewhere.3.Yep, snapshots take a lot of space.4.Linux distros generally have iptables ( or Netfilter). it's probably not necessary to have a separate firewall unless you run a server. A router will give protection too. In VBox using NAT its like having an internal router. If you want to configure iptables, there are a few gui programs to help, eg. Guarddog. I run Shorewall, but it takes a little learning as its based on text config files, but is extremely configurable and flexible.

Edited by sunrat

3.Yep, snapshots take a lot of space.
Ok, so let's say I make another Snapshot which eats up another 2.87gig, can I delete the first one that I made in order to regain that space without damaging the second, newer Snapshot? Thanks for answering, I did found an answer to the ad thingie.Acadia Edited by Acadia

What Sunrat said...1. Many installers do install/update stuff - such as language packs - from repositories provided there is a net connection during the install.2. Erm... right click --> move to trash?3.1 ;) Yes, you can delete unncessary snapshots... there is a "manage snapshots section" in VirtualBox.4. If you want, you can tweak the firewall settings in Mandriva's Control Center:kuvakaappaus12wf2.th.pngkuvakaappaus11ya9.th.png B)

Thanks, everyone -- Urmas, from carefully following your instructions for Mandriva, I can see a couple of things that I did incorrectly with my last week's attempt with Ubuntu. Gonna try Ubuntu again, maybe New Years Day or next weekend, but gonna have your instructions up this time.Acadia

Ok, two more questions:1. In the second picture on Urmas's post #75, which one of those boxes do I tick on to protect surfing with the built-in Firefox?2. If I make changes to my Current and only Snapshot, for example adding bookmarks and installing Firefox extensions, how do I save them, that is, how do I add them to my Current Snapshot and then Save them so they are not lost?Thanks again.Acadia

Oh, THANKS for those Slackware links, guys, I almost for sure will be using them. Steve, what's the difference between those two links that you provided, the second link does not work at the pc that I am presently at but this is not my home pc.Acadia

Edited by Acadia