New kid in the Red Hat

Jeber

OK, boss, here's what I've got:fstab.txt... / ext2 defaults 1 1none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0mtab.txt.../dev/hda5 / ext2 rw 0 0none /proc proc rw 0 0usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0I've got my thinking cap on (I just can't see anything) and I'm all ready for my next tutorial. This is fun! :lol: Oh, no...look it...I've got kudzu growing in my system. <_<

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Jeber

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Brunno that is Knoppix I am running -- they probably say they are mounted because I manually mount them?? -- I just have the 2 cdroms 1 cdrom and 1 burner -- knoppix access my NTFS partition with no problemsSo I can just uncomment those lines and all will be ok?

"uncomment"Oh, lordy, now I've got to get me a Linux dictionary. Now I know why they call it a "language". :)

Just like in html you can comment lines <!-- --> tags -- well programming has same types of comments but with different symbols such as // or #removing those symbols uncomments the line(s) and makes it active -- (hopefully that makes sense)

Hi JeberIt does look like RedHat still has problems seeing your NTFS partition . . . because if it would have been Fat32 it should have been listed in the fstab . . . . . Because I´m not familiar with NTFS we´ll have to wait what other members think of this.Mandrake handles this better, if anyone has Mandrake and XP in dualboot . . please post your fstab so we can try to force RedHat to have a second look.:) BrunoPS: look 3 posts down . . found an easy way . . .

KellyThat is exact, just un-comment them, reboot and rightclick on your dektop, choose ¨ceate new ¨ --> ¨harddisk¨, on the first tab you put the name of that partition, on the 3rd tab you select in the drop down list the hda where that partition lives.Then you can just double-click the icon and see the contents of that partition. :) Bruno

sweet I will do that - I had the icons already on the desktop, but first thing I would do is start up terminal and arrow up till I got the mount commands to mount the other partitions. I save a lot of my downloads on my fat32 partition to save space on my linux one --- looking at getting a bigger hard drive to expand my linux partition. I would than partition it the correct way instead of just a root and swap partition.

Hi Jeber Just thought of a trick, but it requires minimal commandline work, but just copy and paste it in a console/terminal ( dos-window ): < su > ( without the > < ) ( it will ask you for your root-password ) < mkdir /mnt/windows > < mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows > ( there are 2 spaces there, after mount and after 1 ) Then close the console with: Ctrl+d ( 2x ) Now rightclick on an empty space on the desktop and choose ¨ceate new ¨ --> ¨harddisk¨, on the first tab you put the name of that partition ( Windows ), on the 3rd tab put ¨/mnt/windows¨ Now if all is well ( we hope ) you can doubleclick the shortcut you just made and see your Windows partition. :) Bruno

Just discovered something; Red Hat doesn't support NTFS in its default kernel distribution. You need to recompile the kernel and add the NTFS filesystem module. :D

Jeber, you´re in trouble here . . . . . . . . . . get yourself downloading Mandrake 9.1 on the double . . . . they have full support on NTFS . . . and a nicer GUI . . and has a easier learning curve. :D :DMandrake ISOs and checksum ( fast mirror ):lol: Bruno

JeberDude in the Red Hat Where are you? We have not had a status report for a while. How is it going? Did you get your video card/display problems worked out? Don't give up on us.... Come back Jeber - Come back! B)

We have to get him a smaller hat, Julia ! The poor guy can´t see a thing this way . . :) B)( and you suggested a brick on his head, maybe that gave him a real headache. :) ):) Bruno

Yes but he did not have a brick so I suggested a kid's ball. Figured that would give him the "lift" he needed. I think he must be out looking for something to hold that hat up? Will we ever see his face again? If so, what will it look like after all that time with the hat! I bet he has a really bad case of hat hair! B)

I feel like a midget cowboy! Did cowboys ever wear tuxedos? Didn't cowboys have to see?UPDATE: I stll haven't licked the monitor problem. I have a copy of new nVidia drivers for RH linux (sorry, Bruno, I had to go back to RH...it was the only one that easily recognized my PCMCIA card modem and made initializing it simple) but I don't know what to do with them. I've checked the screensaver options, but have determined that isn't the problem. My monitor refresh rates are set to exactly what Toshiba requires for an LCD screen. It happens everytime I'm idle (typing, downloading, etc.) for more than about 15 minutes. The screen goes blank, but if I tap any key, the image comes up HUGE (I mean, it's as if I had the res set to 30x30...well off the screen in every direction) and it's unclickable. I can tab around and use the enter key, but it's hard to see what I'm entering. If I log off then back on, it's ok 'till the next time. ?????And I'm not going to worry about seeing my other drives for now. So currently I'm trying to learn more about terminal commands (thank you for the explanation, teacher) and other basic commands. I'm trying not to get frustrated, and I know there is a learning curve to any new and complex system...maybe I just picked the wrong week to start learning Linux (picture Lloyd Bridges in the control tower..."Airplane"). :)

JeberYour screen/sleep problem has to do with APM . . I´m looking into this right now and will come back to you !:) Bruno

Don't know if this will help or not, but I had a similar problem with NVidia drivers when I tried SuSE 8.2 Pro. During installation a message was displayed indicating that because of licensing [nothing specific] NVidia drivers were no longer included in this distro. [Yet 8.1 Personal included the drivers.]System worked fine. But after updating the NVidia drivers via YaST update, things got ugly. Sometimes I got nothing - blank screen during boot or I would boot OK but the screen resolution was HUGE [320x320 as a guess-ta-ment at 16 colors] for lack of a better description. I could reset the resolutions and color but at the next boot everything would revert back to ugly. Video: NVidia 32MB TnT2 M64 - works fine with XP :) 2nd problem I had with SuSE 8.2 Pro was that it would not recognize the Pro Savage DDR 32MB video display adapter which is integrated on the MSI mobo. So I disabled the onboard video and installed the NVidia hoping this would correct the problem - which it did - until I updated the drivers to get 3D support. Oh, I forgot, Mandrake 9.1 did not have any of these problems. :D

JeberTo begin with will you try this:In a terminal ( you know what that is by now . . :D )< su > ( without the > < )( rootpassword )< vi /etc/rc.d/rc.modules >< i > (to put the vi editor in insert mode )Look for the APM section and comment the line ¨/sbin/modprobe apm¨ ( put a # in the beginning of that line, so it will be ¨# /sbin/modprobe apm¨ )Then save the file:Esc ( puts vi in command mode )ZZ ( saves the file, two capital Z´s )< reboot >Hope this worksB) Bruno

Uh, allright...can I wait until after breakfast? I think better on a full stomach. It might also prevent the headache I may get otherwise.One great thing about a new OS. If you hose (i.e. screw up) the whole thing, just reinstall. :D

One great thing about a new OS.  If you hose (i.e. screw up) the whole thing, just reinstall.  :D
That´s the spirit Jeber ! Bravo !!:) Bruno

Forgot to tell you: Reboot after doing this . . . . . . :) or the APM will still be running.Another thing: if by any chance the line is commeted, un-comment it . . we just want a change to the actual situation to see what the difference is . . :D:) BrunoPS: any APM settings in the BIOS ??

Had some food, fed the animals, too...got my coffee...followed your instructions and everything seemed tp go well...but didn't reboot because I just got back here and read this. Ooops. I'll go do that now.

Another thing: if by any chance the line is commeted, un-comment it .
I thought penguins couldn't fly. :) You're about 2' over my head with this one. "Comment"? "...this line..."?Think, "Jeber is really, really, stupid". Trust me, that mindset will help. :D

Jeber is really smart. Jeber is not stupid. Jeber just has not learned Linux Talk yet. It is so hard to switch from MS langauge to Linux Language. I have had fun with that myself. Pretty soon you will think mv for move and ls for list and all those commands will be replaced with new ones. If a line starts with # and finishes with # then it is a comment. Just remove those and you should be fine! You might want to pick up a good book like Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition by Paul Sheer. All the online giants can order it for you and you can pick it up at Barnes and Noble and other mainstream book stores (but not Waldenbook). You can do it. Think positive. Animals fed and Jeber fed make for a good start. Plenty of sleep first works as well! :D

Sorry Jeber :

comment the line ¨/sbin/modprobe apm¨ ( put a # in the beginning of that line, so it will be ¨# /sbin/modprobe apm¨ )
Thought the explanation was clear . . . ;)I will do better:# /sbin/modprobe apm = commented/sbin/modprobe apm = un-commented:DB) Bruno

I'm bbbaaaccckkk...During bootup, I saw "Starting APM daemon...ok". Is this relevent to what you had me do? I'm going to conduct a test. I'm going to go water the garden...should take about 30 minutes. I've got the screen saver set to 120 minutes, so it shouldn't interfere. After posting this, I'm going to leave the computer on-line and logged into the forum. Let's see if the screen goes all kablooey (sorry for the technical terms) or not. I'll report back.

Starting APM daemon...ok
That is vital info !!!Now what exactly did you change in that ¨ /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ¨ ? Did you have to put an # or take away the # ?Just that I know what it looks like now. . . . . . ;)You can check ( to be sure ) with:< cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules > ( cat shows you the file only in read mode, you can not change anything )Have fun in the garden, a bit of fresh air will do you good after your first exercise in ¨vi¨ ! :DB) Bruno

Yup, after 27 minutes (at most) the screen went blank.

Now what exactly did you change in that ¨ /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ¨ ? Did you have to put an # or take away the # ?
I just typed what you said, (# /sbin/modprobe apm) and hit "enter". Then I escaped and ZZ'd. Then I exited.One more clue (?), after the screen went wonkers this time, I noticed, on what portion of the screen I could read, that in the progress bar of Mozzilla it said, "Type Ahead Find Stopped". That disappeared as soon as I touched another key.One more experiment...I'm going to go mow my mom's yard...should take about 60 minutes (she lives next door)...but this time I'm not going to leave Moz running, just the desktop and the internet connection active. Maybe it's Moz, even though one time it happened I was typing in Open Office. BTW, I'd really prefer to have my Star Office instead of O.O. I have the boxed, version 6.0. Maybe later we can talk about how to replace one with the other. Gawd, I'm a demon for punishment.Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to mow I go....... :D

JeberYou´re saying you added the whole line < # /sbin/modprobe apm > . . . . . I was not clear enough . . sorry !There were two possebillities:1) In that file there was already a line that said < # /sbin/modprobe apm > the only thing you had to do was delete the ¨#¨or2) if the line in that file said < sbin/modprobe apm > the only thing you had to do was add the ¨#¨Anyway you´re an ace now with the ¨vi¨-editor . . that is a great thing !!!!So what we do is we do it again :)Only this time I know ( because you have seen the apm starting at boot ) there has to be a line that is ¨not commented¨ that we will ¨commnent ¨ ( we just add a ¨#¨ at the beginning of that line ! )< su > ( without the > < )( rootpassword )< vi /etc/rc.d/rc.modules >< i > (to put the vi editor in insert mode )Look for the APM section and seacrch the line that says ¨¨/sbin/modprobe apm¨ and comment the line: ¨# /sbin/modprobe apm¨ ( put a # in the beginning of that line, so it will be ¨# /sbin/modprobe apm¨ )You can leave the line you made right there, it´s ¨commented¨ what means does not have any effectThen save the file:Esc ( puts vi in command mode )ZZ ( saves the file, two capital Z´s )< reboot >Hope that at reboot you won´t see the APM starting this time :D:) Bruno

JeberYou did not need to add a line. You are trying to make it too hard. Did you read through what was there to see if the line already existed but with a pound sign (#) in front of it? If it was there with the # making it a comment, all you had to do was remove the # to make it an active line. If it was there without the # then we add the #. Whichever it was, it needs to be the opposite. You can easily add your star office. You don't really need to replace one with the other. We will just have to check the directions that came with it to see how it loads (whether or not it is an RPM, a tar, or other type of install package). Linux has multiple ways to install instead of a setup command. Some are tailored to particular distros and some seem to be usable from most any distro. Now, have I totally confused you? Just remember I was sitting on the other side just a couple of months ago. I think I can still talk both languages, and am just a little ahead of you on the Linux side since I have buried myself in it for two months now! You too will talk Linux geek before you know it! We will work through this and get you up and running! :D

nlinecomputers

Jeber,The # sign is the same thing that a REM line is in DOS. REM stands for REMark. A # sign is the same thing. Windows INI files use a ; sign. Also the same thing.They all mean ignore this line from this point on. So a #,REM, or a ; at the begining of the line makes it a comment line.