New kid in the Red Hat

Jeber

Nathan is quite correct in explaining how GoBack works. From what I can gather, dual booting with GoBack is only possible if you are using Windows operating systems and Microsoft's bootloader. You also have to install GoBack in each operating system. Not having ever used GoBack myself I can't describe how this would be done, although this Googled item explains somewhat. By the way, I knew that Symantec was shipping GoBack in SystemWorks, but as of June 16, 2003, Symantec now completely owns GoBack as an asset and provides support for it, not Roxio.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Jeber

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

nlinecomputers
Thanks nline!!! :)  I really appreciate that clarification!!  Like it when I learn something new :)
Not a problem.Best to learn it that way then the way I first encountered GoBack. On a dead Gateway. The boot sector developed a bad spot and the user, thinking her data was "SAFE" *giggle*cough*gag* never backed up her quickbooks. We had to send it off to a hard drive lab. $600GoBack!=safe data.GoBack=snake oil."The opinions expressed here are totally mine and not the management of this forum. However that doesn't stop it from being the correct opinion."

OK, folks, you're way ahead of me again, but here's the latest...1) I'm going to take Go Back off this system entirely, since this may at some point (far, far away) become a strictly Linux laptop. My Mom, who has Win98, can have it. I only used it 'cause I had it...and paid for it. :) 2) I've searched through as much of this forum, and my books, as I can today...and I can't find any reference to "how to activate a downloaded program". I DL'd Firebird to it's own folder in /home and expanded it, but how do I introduce it to the system so it will be an "internet" option like Moz? Please...small words, simple directions... :wacko:Oh, and Quint...love the image. Copied it, but it may be a bit before you see it as my avatar. First, I've got to explore FTP with this. Was using WS_FTP on Win.

Edited by Jeber

OK, folks, you're way ahead of me again, but here's the latest...1) I'm going to take Go Back off this system entirely, since this may at some point (far, far away) become a strictly Linux laptop.  My Mom, who has Win98, can have it.  I only used it 'cause I had it...and paid for it.  :) 2)  I've searched through as much of this forum, and my books, as I can today...and I can't find any reference to "how to activate a downloaded program".  I DL'd Firebird to it's own folder in /home and expanded it, but how do I introduce it to the system so it will be an "internet" option like Moz?  Please...small words, simple directions... :wacko:Oh, and Quint...love the image.  Copied it, but it may be a bit before you see it as my avatar.  First, I've got to explore FTP with this.  Was using WS_FTP on Win.
Hi Jeber,Here is the first place to go:Firebird InstallAfter trying this, any further questions, we will gladly try to help...congrats, again! :) :)

JeberHope you unzipped the package in your /home/jeberThe simple way is: click right on your desktop and choose ¨ceate new¨ --> ¨ link to application¨ in the 1st tab you fill in Firebird, on the 3rd tab you have to fill in the PATH: ¨/home/jeber/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird¨ . . . that is all . . I will post a link here later for a more official HowTo . . . . . see Quint was there before me :) :) :DB) BrunoPS: Firebird is the ONLY program that installs this ( easy ) way . . . . !!

Edited by Bruno

I knew you'll switch eventually.I saw early potential in you and I know you are secret admirer of penguins :D Congratulations! :) By the way, tehre is nothing wrong with dual-boot.I am dual booting with my XP and still hadn't converted 100 %.

I saw early potential in you
I was wondering why you were staring at me that way.
I know you are secret admirer of penguins
Uh, you haven't been hearing anything about sheep, have you?
nothing wrong with dual-boot.
I suspect that I'll always be dual-booting, on this laptop, anyway. I want more toys, not just new toys. :D

OK, I'm starting to get "the hang" of this new avatar...but I do have one little complaint. I can't see anything!!

Just put a brick on top of your head, but under the hat. That way you will be able to see out. Or, just cut some eye holes in the hat..... :D

Then just get a brick! If that is too heavy, just steal some kid's ball and put up there! Not that you would be that mean to a little kid..... :D

JeberHee hee...ya know you can do both,,Dual boot...AND...get more Toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks my method anyway :lol:

Jeber,What happened to Firebird . . . did it work allright ? Are you browsing with it now or are there more questions ?:lol: Bruno

Let's see...I managed to get my disk partitioned with Partition Magic 8 without a hitch...so all of you who have said negative things about P.M. should know that, while I'm not saying you're wrong, at least in this case it worked as advertised.Got R.H.9 installed without difficulties, using GIMP (GRUMP, GRAMPS??? whatever installed by default, not LILO) to allow me to dual-boot. Again, all went as smooth as silk.Downloaded all the updates indicated as required, including the kernal. Also DL Firebird and it works great (using it as I write this). I do wish there was a way to get the icon for Firebird onto the desktop, or anywhere closer than 3 levels deep in my files. Oh poop, never mind. I just now dragged it to the desktop and created a link there. :) I think I understand the file system, but I haven't used it enough just yet to feel totally comfortable. I'm sure with regular use, it will become familiar.In between helping my neighbor reinstall WinXP on his machine ( :D ), I pulled Opera 7 off a disk and managed to get it installed. Already this is getting easier.All in all, I'm very pleased with this install. I'm using the KDE desktop, which I do like better than the other options. I figured out how to work with preferences so I can do my usual GUI tweaking. I do miss StyleXP, though. And CurserXP.I still haven't figured out how to be able to "see" the files on my Windows partition. Shouldn't I be able to do this? I recall SuSE showed them. Maybe not. :P So that brings you all up to date with my day with the Tux. Time to get some sleep (must be properly rested for my last two days on the job), with more exploration planned for tomorrow night.Thanx for asking...I'll keep you posted and be back with all my questions later...Nighty-night. ;)

YAY - Jeber~whispers Grub for boot loader~ :P Yes, you should be able to mount your windows partitions

MOUNT and UMOUNTIn some distro´s the additional partitions ( Windows or second Linux distro ) are not automatically mounted and thus not visible.From the story yesterday we know about fstab and mtab:cat /etc/fstab ( shows you the available partitions )cat /etc/mtab ( shows you the mounted partitions )If you see partitions in fstab and the same partitions are not in mtab you will have to mount them yourself:su ( password )mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ( as root, if your win. partition is on hda1 )This will mount hda1, usually your Windows partition.cd /mnt/hda1 ( to get in that directory )ls ( to see what is in that directory ) ( ls stands for ¨list¨ )Umount mnt/hda1 ( will un-mount the partition, NOTE: not unmount but umount )
I love my PM 8.0 also - I use it for most partitioning of things

Hi JeberGlad Firedird works as expected and you found a way to create a shortcut on the desktop. :)Like Kelly whispered: Grub is the goofy name of your bootloader.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this install. I'm using the KDE desktop, which I do like better than the other options. I figured out how to work with preferences so I can do my usual GUI tweaking. I do miss StyleXP, though. And CurserXP.
Try another theme, the default look is not my favorite either, you can change theme, color and icon-theme in the ¨look and feel¨ section of the KDE Control Center. ;) For the cursor; we will come back on that subject later.
I still haven't figured out how to be able to "see" the files on my Windows partition. Shouldn't I be able to do this? I recall SuSE showed them. Maybe not.
Those partitions are probably not ¨automounted¨. Here we will work on right now. What I´d like you to do is open a ¨terminal¨ or ¨console¨ ( a kind of dos-window where you get a prompt ) and type ( better even copy and paste one command at a time and hit enter):cat /etc/fstab >fstab.txtcat /etc/mtab >mtab.txtThis will put two textfiles in your /home/jeber directory . . you can simply open them by clicking on them . . . copy and paste what you see in those textfiles in your next post.We will change those files so your Windows partitions will be ¨mounted¨ at boot so you can see them without having to give extra commands each time you want to see them.I can see you´re having fun :):P BrunoPS: Copy and paste: copy = select with left mouse button, paste = press the middle button/scrollwheel ;)PS2: They tell me that the latest versions of Partition Magic do indeed a better job than older versions did.

We will change those files so your Windows partitions will be ¨mounted¨ at boot so you can see them without having to give extra commands each time you want to see them.
This would be sweet - I have to go into terminal and mount mine all the time, I figured there must be a way to add a script file or something to have this done automatically. This is great news

cat /etc/fstab >fstab.txtcat /etc/mtab >mtab.txtThis will put two textfiles in your /home/jeber directory . . you can simply open them by clicking on them . . . copy and paste what you see in those textfiles in your next post.
Bruno,A question: Why are we editing the /etc/mtab file? Isn't that file dynamically changed whenever a devices mount status changes? Doesn't the /etc/mtab file just return the same information as "cat /proc/mounts" ?Here, if I mount/unmount a partition, the mtab file automatically changes, along with /proc/mounts.:)tranquilo

Tranquillo,We´re not editing the mtab file at all, never said we would, I just want to see it to be clear what is mounted and whats not.:) Bruno

Tranquillo,We´re not editing the mtab file at all, never said we would, I just want to see it to be clear what is mounted and whats not.:) Bruno
Thanks for clearing that up... ;)tranquilo

~whispers Grub for boot loader~ :) I love my PM 8.0 also - I use it for most partitioning of things
I got a free copy of PM v4 and use it often from a boot disk. Since it doesn't have a boot manager I use LILO. :)

Brunno here is what my files say:fstab.txt# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.## filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1/dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0proc /proc proc defaults 0 0/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0# partitions found by Knoppix#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0#/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0#/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0#/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0/dev/scd0 /cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0/dev/scd1 /cdrecorder auto ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0mtab.txt/dev/hda5 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0/dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0none /proc proc rw 0 0devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs rw 0 0/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat rw 0 0

KellyFrom what distro is this ??? Debian/knoppix ??Your mtab tells me the XP partition on hda1 and the vfat partition on hda7 are mounted !!Have you 3 CD devices ??I do not think Debian can see NTFS partitions . . but I could be wrong. . . . Where is your /home partition ?<_< Bruno

KellyJust uncomment ( get rid of the # ) these lines:#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0#/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0#/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0#/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0and then you can make shortcuts on your desktop to those harddisks !<_< Bruno