Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

Ah ha a clean living lad then. Not an old reprobate like me. :Laughing:

Not even close.......drunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

I just prefer something a little stronger than Champagne and I am not too familiar with the European slang. ;)

• Like 1

Nice Abarbarian, I know you use Arch, what WM are you using. I think if I walked out of my house and saw a sky like that......I would quickly walk back in and close the door. :hysterical:

E-17 I must say is quite impressive. If I were to ever change from OB (WM) to a (DE) (Which I don't plan on doing LOL) I would definitely go to E-17.

I got a 2nd hand hard drive for the laptop...so I decided to put Arch back on it (now that I have more room to work with).

Compaq CQ62

Arch Linux 2013.02.01

Enlightenment 17

compositor: compton

enlightenment icon theme: oxygen-gtk

enlightenment application-theme: clearlooks-phenix-master

enlightenment theme: A-SkyV2

acfGmoDk.jpg

aczCwqRD.jpg

Compaq CQ62

Porteus Linux 2.0 Standard Edition (64bit)

(running off of an old mp3 player)

adqa3Vut.jpg

aciwBUGI.jpg

And all I did was boot and connect.

Not Bad

securitybreach

Compaq CQ62

Porteus Linux 2.0 Standard Edition (64bit)

(running off of an old mp3 player)

adqa3Vut.jpg

aciwBUGI.jpg

And all I did was boot and connect.

Not Bad

Very cool!! Does the mp3 player have wifi or something?

Looks great Eric :thumbup: So you are still enjoying KDE huh? Love the way a simple edit of the .xinitrc file, exit X and re-enter X can put you into a whole new DE or WM. :thumbsup:

Installed Cinnamon in Arch, still using Openbox 99% of the time, but really neat to see how much different each environment is. :)

I imagine you still have xfce installed?

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I'm rekindling my love for KDE, I think. It's been a while, I've missed it. KDE is the pretty girl you once knew who you let slip away because of some foolishness. Xfce is the steady ol' lady who's always there for you when you quit dreaming about the pretty girl. Gnome is the weird neighbor lady who waves to you all the time. :lol:

Yes, it's easy-peasy to switch back to Xfce. I still have all my Xfce setting saved in my /home, so switching back will look just as it did before the recent crash. No need to switch back any time soon, I don't think. Nice to know ol' dependable is still waiting there for me if I need to go home again. ;)

• Like 2

KDE is the pretty girl you once knew who you let slip away because of some foolishness. Xfce is the steady ol' lady who's always there for you when you quit dreaming about the pretty girl. Gnome is the weird neighbor lady who waves to you all the time. :lol:

:hysterical: That quote belongs on a wall somewhere. :hysterical:

My problem is, I am not a big fan of change. I stick with the "ol' lady" aka OpenBox. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Very cool!! Does the mp3 player have wifi or something?

No, the wireless card is on the laptop.

I'm only using the mp3 player for the 4GB of space.

securitybreach

No, the wireless card is on the laptop.

I'm only using the mp3 player for the 4GB of space.

Ah so you are using it like a thumbdrive.

V.T. Eric Layton

There's nothing at all wrong with Gnome 2. It was my very first Linux WM/DE. I still use it in Debian. :yes:

• Like 1

@tforsman - I look at it this way, a DE or WM is just as much of a "choice" as the flavor of OS running it. Individually we just have things that work for "us". I am impressed with many different DE/WM but Openbox works so well for me that I can't imagine anything replacing it.

Now that I have VBox set up on a laptop that can handle it, I may need to run a Foresight Linux VM and check it out. :thumbup:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

You'll like Foresight, Ian. I was impressed with it from my very first experience with it back at version 1.0. :yes: It's not going to be familiar to you, though, because it's based on rPath Linux, which is a fork of Red Hat. You'll learn quite a bit playing around with it, though. The Conary package management system is very COOL!

Have fun!

http://www.foresightlinux.org/