Mandriva 2007 update question

Dense

Hi GrogerTo start the konqueror filebrowser as root you can give the command ( as user !! )
$ kdesu konqueror

OR, even better

$ kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement

( Note: it will open in the /root "home" directory :rolleyes: )As for the troubles with the static IP address . . . . . I wonder what went wrong, but in any case the default values the wizard proposes are not correct, you have to change them to the correct values. Maybe try again ? Do you have a software firewall running ?:'( Bruno

Hallo Bruno :'( After a longer shutdown without power the 'old' system I used su then konqueror worked again :w00t: :thumbsup: The first command you gave throws up the password box, then a few worrying error messages and then there was konqueror in root mode. ;) The second command put up the password box and then put me back at the prompt without konqueror appearing. The dialog in the terminal looked like this:-[roger@grandpa ~]$ kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement[roger@grandpa ~]$How do I check if there is a firewall running?I'll try the changes again and let you know what happens this time! (I did force the correct values last time.) Grogerf

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grogerf

• Bruno

• striker

• V.T. Eric Layton

I would stop fiddling around with the static IP stuff now because there seems to be a bug/glitch in Mandriva 2007. :rolleyes: All distros I'm running on the machine were reconfigured to have a static IP instead of DHCP, they all work except Mandriva 2007; It just doesn't want to connect with the IP I give it while all other distros connect without problem whatsoever.Deleting the connection (eth0) and rebooting immediately in hope Mandy would detect the network and offer to set it up didn't work either. :w00t: , that is it just takes the network, throws up a connection in which it succeeds (!) but uses another IP than I want it to be.It should have been something like this:xxx.xxx.x.103 , like I said all other distros work with it, but stubborn Mandy gives me this:xxx.xxx.x.101 on which it connects successfully to the internet.Changing it to the 103 octet above ends up in no connection at all :D ,deleting the network and rebooting ends up in an automatically set up network connection/interface eth0 with a 101 last octet in the IP address.Manually reconfiguring the interface doesn't solve the problem either. ;) I left it as is for now, this way I can connect, otherwise I can't. doh !Found the culprit:I went into the router itself and checked its settings. It was serving IPs through DHCP, changed it to 'static' ,restarted the router and here we are : Mandy has the right IP after once again deleting and setting up the network with a reboot afterwards. :'( Now on to checking out the other distros to see if they behave ... :thumbsup:edit: They do ! :'(

Hallo Bruno ;) After a longer shutdown without power the 'old' system I used su then konqueror worked again :w00t: :'( The first command you gave throws up the password box, then a few worrying error messages and then there was konqueror in root mode. B) The second command put up the password box and then put me back at the prompt without konqueror appearing. The dialog in the terminal looked like this:-[roger@grandpa ~]$ kdesu kfmclient openProfile filemanagement[roger@grandpa ~]$How do I check if there is a firewall running?I'll try the changes again and let you know what happens this time! (I did force the correct values last time.) Grogerf
Hallo again :D ,This time the static settings worked! I found that the Gateway addres I had was for the 'other provider'. I found this by hovering the mouse over the connection applet with DHCP and noting the addresses. When I put in the correct gateway for theprovider it worked as advertised :( - well almost :'( I noticed that the 'lookup" times were noticably longer than previously with DHCP. Not yet sure about the throughput rates - we'll see how it goes :thumbsup: Maybe I've just been looking up sites that are slow just now - but they seemed to be much faster an hour or so ago. :rolleyes: Whilst in the MCC I noticed that there is the posibility of defining the hostname with DHCP as well. If this perceived slow response persists I might try that method - what are your views on this?Looking forward to the next step on the learning curve! :D Grogerf

I would stop fiddling around with the static IP stuff now because there seems to be a bug/glitch in Mandriva 2007. :'( All distros I'm running on the machine were reconfigured to have a static IP instead of DHCP, they all work except Mandriva 2007; It just doesn't want to connect with the IP I give it while all other distros connect without problem whatsoever.Deleting the connection (eth0) and rebooting immediately in hope Mandy would detect the network and offer to set it up didn't work either. :w00t: , that is it just takes the network, throws up a connection in which it succeeds (!) but uses another IP than I want it to be.It should have been something like this:xxx.xxx.x.103 , like I said all other distros work with it, but stubborn Mandy gives me this:xxx.xxx.x.101 on which it connects successfully to the internet.Changing it to the 103 octet above ends up in no connection at all :( ,deleting the network and rebooting ends up in an automatically set up network connection/interface eth0 with a 101 last octet in the IP address.Manually reconfiguring the interface doesn't solve the problem either. :D I left it as is for now, this way I can connect, otherwise I can't. doh !Found the culprit:I went into the router itself and checked its settings. It was serving IPs through DHCP, changed it to 'static' ,restarted the router and here we are : Mandy has the right IP after once again deleting and setting up the network with a reboot afterwards. ;) Now on to checking out the other distros to se if they behave ... :thumbsup:
Hallo Stricker :D ,I'd really like to give it a go - but I need some education first :rolleyes: I've got an ADSL modem connected to an ethernet port and no separate router as such. How do I check the router settings?Looking forward to another step on the curve B) :'( Grogerf

The router might be build into the ADSL modem. So the question is howto get into the modem/routers web interface, if it has any. Therefore it might be the quickest to get yourself the modem/routers manual, in which a description might be found if there is a router build in and howto get into the modem/router, probably with something like opening up FF and typing in the address bar something like 192.168.x.x ;it should be in the manual of the modem/router. :w00t:

The first command you gave throws up the password box, then a few worrying error messages and then there was konqueror in root mode. :rolleyes:
That is good . . . don't worry about the messages, as long as konq starts in root mode you're fine.Forget about the second command . . . the first one worked and that is all we need.
This time the static settings worked! I found that the Gateway addres I had was for the 'other provider'.
Perfect !!
I noticed that the 'lookup" times were noticably longer than previously with DHCP. Not yet sure about the throughput rates - we'll see how it goes :w00t:
I am using static IPs myself and do not notice any slow loading of sites . . . . If however this is a persisting problem we will need to look at it again.What is the modem you are using ?? ( have a link to the brand/model ? )You only have a firewall running if you explicitly asked for it in the MCC . . but if you have a router you are better of without a software firewall !:thumbsup: Bruno

The router might be build into the ADSL modem. So the question is howto get into the modem/routers web interface, if it has any. Therefore it might be the quickest to get yourself the modem/routers manual, in which a description might be found if there is a router build in and howto get into the modem/router, probably with something like opening up FF and typing in the address bar something like 192.168.x.x ;it should be in the manual of the modem/router. ;)
Hallo Stricker :D ,Thank you for giving some help on the router/modem.I've been tied up for a couple of days and couldn't get to the PC :P The modem is a Speedtouch 536v6 made by Thompson. The CD that comes with it has automatic set up arrangements for Windows and Mac. I've found the manual in amongst a load of stuff B) - it's a .pdf file and I've saved it to the hard drive so that I can easily locate it :) I'll get back to you in a couple of days when i've had a chance to wade through the 100+ pages :thumbsup: Grogerf

That is good . . . don't worry about the messages, as long as konq starts in root mode you're fine.Forget about the second command . . . the first one worked and that is all we need. Perfect !! I am using static IPs myself and do not notice any slow loading of sites . . . . If however this is a persisting problem we will need to look at it again.What is the modem you are using ?? ( have a link to the brand/model ? )You only have a firewall running if you explicitly asked for it in the MCC . . but if you have a router you are better of without a software firewall !B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D ,Thanks for your three replies in one :thumbsup: I've been tied up for a couple of days & couldn't get to the PC :) Glad to only have to remember one command line B) - hope that all the command line stuff will start making sense to me soon :D - just now it's a tad incomprehensible.The slow loading of sites is very niticable and annoying :P . The modem supplied by the ISP is a Speedtouch 536v6 and the web site is here http://whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=h_view&model_id=280I didn't ask for a firewall- however I guess I'd better check in the MCc to see if it comes up activated.Thanks again for your help ;) Grogerf

If it's this one:http://www.thomson.net/TMS/Minisites/BAP/T...ry=DSL%20ModemsThen, according to its (quick) manual:To get to it's web entry page type this in the address bar of a browser: 192.168.1.254It comes with a default user name which is ‘Administrator’ and a default password which is blank.I would start immediately with changing that to something not obvious and using a not blank password.In the left pane, choose Toolbox > User Management.In the 'Pick a task' list, click Change my password.Enter a new password and confirm.To give the host computer a fixed IP address (static), it should be in the same subnet asyour Thomson Gateway (If the Thomson Gateway is in its default settings, that is an addressbetween 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.253).If you use fixed IP addresses, the Thomson Gateway has to be configured as DNS server (default).The link you provided above in your post @Bruno I was just perusing that one, that means their forums: nice ! Here's that one:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threa...m?f=82&g=53 B) :P There's a DSL-Modem Tool (DMT) for the536v6 (for Windows) which reveals some hidden settings, analyzes DSL quality and that sort of things here:http://dmt.mhilfe.de/A linux version is available here: :thumbsup: http://www.spida.net/projects/dmt-ux/

Just a short remark:Looking at that modem we can conclude that it indeed has a build in hardware firewall . . . . so you do not need the MCC software firewall.When setting up a static IP addess you could take:IP: 192.168.1.1Gatweway: 192.168.1.254Netmask: The default that the MCC presents you.:P Bruno

Just a short remark:Looking at that modem we can conclude that it indeed has a build in hardware firewall . . . . so you do not need the MCC software firewall.When setting up a static IP addess you could take:IP: 192.168.1.1Gatweway: 192.168.1.254Netmask: The default that the MCC presents you.B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D ,Thank you for you for decyphering the modem spec :devil: Those addresses are what I came up with to make it all work using static adressing (apart from the netmask which came from # ifconfig eth1). I'll check to see that the netmask is the same as the one used - and change it to the default if different. :) Is there a simple but good explanation of the IP, Gateway and Netmask functions that you know of? I obviously need to educate myself on how the internet works :hmm: GrogerfHallo again Bruno :D I've just done some updates and came across a response I can't understand. The MCC told me that System > Libraries gnome-libs-1.4.2-18mdv2007.0 was available for update. I selected it and the system advised :-To satisfy dependencies, the following 3 packages are going to be installed:gnome-libs-1.4.2-18mdv2007.0.x86_64lib64gnome32-1.4.2-18mdv2007.0.x86_64timezone-2007c-1.1mdv2007.0.x86_64OK selected then the download took place , next this message :-There was a problem during the installation: file/etc/mime-magic.dat from install of gnome-libs-1.4.2-18mdv2007.0 conflicts with file from package gnome-libs-1.4.2-18mdv2007.0 :D I'm confused - it seems that the package is already on the system, yet it was available for update. Is this a 32 bit / 64 bit problem? :( Only the usual 64 bit sources were enabled when I did the update.Looking forward to an explanation of what to do :) Grogerf Edited by Grogerf

eth1 ????? :devil: Am I missing something ? I thought it should be eth0.Grogerf, do you have more than one NIC in the machine ?Obviously yes when I reread post# 89 ...

If it's this one:http://www.thomson.net/TMS/Minisites/BAP/T...ry=DSL%20ModemsThen, according to its (quick) manual:To get to it's web entry page type this in the address bar of a browser: 192.168.1.254It comes with a default user name which is ‘Administrator’ and a default password which is blank.I would start immediately with changing that to something not obvious and using a not blank password.In the left pane, choose Toolbox > User Management.In the 'Pick a task' list, click Change my password.Enter a new password and confirm.To give the host computer a fixed IP address (static), it should be in the same subnet asyour Thomson Gateway (If the Thomson Gateway is in its default settings, that is an addressbetween 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.253).If you use fixed IP addresses, the Thomson Gateway has to be configured as DNS server (default).The link you provided above in your post @Bruno I was just perusing that one, that means their forums: nice ! Here's that one:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threa...m?f=82&g=53 :D :) There's a DSL-Modem Tool (DMT) for the536v6 (for Windows) which reveals some hidden settings, analyzes DSL quality and that sort of things here:http://dmt.mhilfe.de/A linux version is available here: :) http://www.spida.net/projects/dmt-ux/
Hallo stricker :D ,Thank you for your reply. Looks like I've got a bit of reading to do on the modem. It's been a very long while since I was involved in the details of data transfer - way before DSL :) Thanks again for finding the links :D Grogerf

• 2 weeks later...
You're welcome. :medic:
Hallo Folks :P Not sure if i should condinue this post witha question about Mandriva One 32 bit updates :D , but here goes!I'm getting my old & slow machine back into working order, I've installed an ethernet card and Mandriva One. (Maybe I should have chosen another distro for this machine, but as I'm getting used to Mandriva, I decided to stick to it.)I tired to do the updates as Bruno indicated in New Update thread for Mandriva 2007, however it didn't matter whether I chose Official updates or Distribution source the MCC only added the update source which was the same source for both ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/updatesThen I updated rpmdrake as Bruno indicated to longgone using the code# urpmi ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...2007.0.i586.rpmNow when I went into the media Manager I got the additional sourcesMain (Official2007.0-1) which is http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...ia/main/releaseMain Updates (Official2007.0-2) which is http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...ia/main/updates and I've de-selected completely.Contrib (Official2007.0-3) which is http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...contrib/releaseContrib Updates(Official2007.0-4) which ishttp://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...contrib/updatesand finaly update_source2 (when I started the media manager the second time and chose 'Official Updates") which is ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/updatesUpdate source and update source 2 seem to be identical do I need both? :D For the time being I've removed the ticks from update source 2 (as well as from Main Updates (Official2007.0-2), and the update source is the only update source I've left ticked for updates.When I tried to update there was a box giving about four updates which also needed to be added, one of these libgtk-linux-fb-2.0_0-2.4.14-6mdk.i586 came up with a bad signature warning. I repeated the update and got the same results. So far this has stopped the update process. :thumbsup: A couple of questions from all of this:-Do I now have the correct sources available (ignoring backports & PLF for the moment)?Do I need two update sources?Should I worry about the bad signature or just install anyway :hysterical: Looking forward to clearing the scene a little ;) Grogerf

Update source and update source 2 seem to be identical do I need both? :hysterical: For the time being I've removed the ticks from update source 2 (as well as from Main Updates (Official2007.0-2), and the update source is the only update source I've left ticked for updates.
That was indeed the right thing to do . . . you only need the first update source :)Now for the bad signature of the libgtk-linux-fb-2.0_0-2.4.14-6mdk.i586, you can safely ignore the waring and install it anyway.You do have the correct sources, you can delete the 2nd update source . . . and make sure that only one box is marked for all sources except for the 1st update_source who needs both boxes marked.:thumbsup: Bruno

That was indeed the right thing to do . . . you only need the first update source :)Now for the bad signature of the libgtk-linux-fb-2.0_0-2.4.14-6mdk.i586, you can safely ignore the waring and install it anyway.You do have the correct sources, you can delete the 2nd update source . . . and make sure that only one box is marked for all sources except for the 1st update_source who needs both boxes marked.:w00t: Bruno
Hallo Bruno :w00t: Great :w00t: I must be getting somewhere - would never have been able to do that before I joined this forum :w00t: I'll delete the second update source, do the updates and then install PLF etc. sources.The old machine died with a dead hard drive a while back - it was due for replacement anyway so a new motherboard, processor, ram & case were bought. Recently I came across a 20G drive which was looking for a home - took it home & fired up the old machine. That's how the Mandriva One question came up.Thanks again Bruno :D Grogerf

• 1 month later...
I would stop fiddling around with the static IP stuff now because there seems to be a bug/glitch in Mandriva 2007. :'( All distros I'm running on the machine were reconfigured to have a static IP instead of DHCP, they all work except Mandriva 2007; It just doesn't want to connect with the IP I give it while all other distros connect without problem whatsoever.Deleting the connection (eth0) and rebooting immediately in hope Mandy would detect the network and offer to set it up didn't work either. :( , that is it just takes the network, throws up a connection in which it succeeds (!) but uses another IP than I want it to be.It should have been something like this:xxx.xxx.x.103 , like I said all other distros work with it, but stubborn Mandy gives me this:xxx.xxx.x.101 on which it connects successfully to the internet.Changing it to the 103 octet above ends up in no connection at all :( ,deleting the network and rebooting ends up in an automatically set up network connection/interface eth0 with a 101 last octet in the IP address.Manually reconfiguring the interface doesn't solve the problem either. :D I left it as is for now, this way I can connect, otherwise I can't. doh !Found the culprit:I went into the router itself and checked its settings. It was serving IPs through DHCP, changed it to 'static' ,restarted the router and here we are : Mandy has the right IP after once again deleting and setting up the network with a reboot afterwards. :'( Now on to checking out the other distros to see if they behave ... :thumbsup:edit: They do ! :'(
Hallo Striker :D ,Finally got round to trying the Static settings with Mandriva 2007.1 and found that the lookup time was very slow again :thumbsdown: This time I'll have to sort it out because I need to have static settings to make the local network operate properly. :D I'll have a look at the modem/router manual and see if I can work out how to set it to use static addresses. The new set up looking from the DSL line connection is combined modem/server(single port), 8 port generic Ethernet switch, and finally two PC's off the switch. As there wasn't much documentation with the switch (only very basic), do you think that I'll need to alter any switch settings?GrogerfHallo again Stricker :hmm: :D Seems to be working properly now. I reconfigured the modem to always give the same addresses to the two desktops. However the modem set up still shows DHCP even after the PC's have both been reconfigured to use static protocol and rebooted :) This is a bit of a concern - but don't know if I should be worried :hmm: I also set the primary DNS of the machines to what the modem told me is the providers DNSAt least things are working now with the static protocol; and there is no noticeable delay on site lookup :D Thank you for identifying the source of the problem - without that advice I would have been totally in the dark!Grogerf Edited by Grogerf