Mandriva 2007 update question

Dense

Hi GrogerWhen exactly does it ask you to install lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 ??The libxine.so.1 file is part of the libxine1 package . . . you can see if it is installed with: "rpm -qi libxine1" and you can see what source has the libxine1 package with the command "urpmf -m libxine1"Next, to change the "label" of a source . . . go in the sources manager, highlight the source and click on "edit" . . . then change the name and "save' ;)Finally, the faad 64bit, seeing that this is a codec for the music player it has to be the same arch as the player ( and not the same as the browser ) ;):D Bruno

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grogerf

• Bruno

• striker

• V.T. Eric Layton

On the DVD:32 bits:libxine1-1.1.2-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm is in i586/media/mainOr on CD 2:libxine1-1.1.2-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm is in i586/media/main2 :D

Hi GrogerWhen exactly does it ask you to install lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 ??The libxine.so.1 file is part of the libxine1 package . . . you can see if it is installed with: "rpm -qi libxine1" and you can see what source has the libxine1 package with the command "urpmf -m libxine1"Next, to change the "label" of a source . . . go in the sources manager, highlight the source and click on "edit" . . . then change the name and "save' ;)Finally, the faad 64bit, seeing that this is a codec for the music player it has to be the same arch as the player ( and not the same as the browser ) ;)B) Bruno
Hallo again Bruno :hmm: ,The message is shown when I go into MCC and select "Look at installable software and install software packages", I then get a pause as the desktop shows the Software Management screen and the 'please wait examining packages' sign, when the examination of software is completed the 'Additional packages needed" message comes up with "To satisfy dependencies, the following package(s) also needto be installed:lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0" Next, "rpm -qi libxine1" showed that libxine.so.1 is not installed. "urpmf -m libxine1" did not come up with a source at all. (I only had the usual 64 bit sources enabled when I tried this - Main, Contrib, Contrib Updates & update_source)I'm having difficulty with editing the names of the sources - I go into MCC Media Manager and click on the source and then 'edit', but the options it gives are to alter the URL or the relative path to the synthesis/hdlist, left these options alone! (I'd tried this option before I asked you the question and it came up with the same result on that occasion.)Thanks for the sage word on Faad!Looking forward to your next lesson ;) Grogerf

On the DVD:32 bits:libxine1-1.1.2-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm is in i586/media/mainOr on CD 2:libxine1-1.1.2-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm is in i586/media/main2 :hmm:
Hallo Stricker B) ,Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I have Mandriva Linux 2007.0 official-Powerpack-x86_64- 20060929 11:36 DVD (bought from a distributor in Melbourne) and the media main 32 folder shows libxi6-static-devel....rpm, and the next entry is libxinerama1-1.01-3......rpm with no sign of libxine1-1.1.2-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpmI don't think that libxine1-1.1.2-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm is on my DVD at all! Thanks for the suggestion - it was definitely worth looking ;) Grogerf

The message is shown when I go into MCC and select "Look at installable software and install software packages", I then get a pause as the desktop shows the Software Management screen and the 'please wait examining packages' sign, when the examination of software is completed the 'Additional packages needed" message comes up with "To satisfy dependencies, the following package(s) also needto be installed:lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0"
Well if it absolutely want to install that package . . . . better give in to the request :hmm:
Next, "rpm -qi libxine1" showed that libxine.so.1 is not installed. "urpmf -m libxine1" did not come up with a source at all. (I only had the usual 64 bit sources enabled when I tried this - Main, Contrib, Contrib Updates & update_source)
Try with the 32 bits Main source enabled ;)
I'm having difficulty with editing the names of the sources - I go into MCC Media Manager and click on the source and then 'edit', but the options it gives are to alter the URL or the relative path to the synthesis/hdlist, left these options alone! (I'd tried this option before I asked you the question and it came up with the same result on that occasion.)
We can edit the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg directly . . . . BUT wait before you do so, there are a few things you should know: NO spaces are allowed in the names or use the "\" escapesign !!!!!If you are unsure, please make a backup first:
# cp /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg-BACKUP

and then post the file on the forum and I will show you what can ( and can not ) be changed.B) Bruno

Well if it absolutely want to install that package . . . . better give in to the request B) Try with the 32 bits Main source enabled :hmm: We can edit the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg directly . . . . BUT wait before you do so, there are a few things you should know: NO spaces are allowed in the names or use the "\" escapesign !!!!!If you are unsure, please make a backup first:

and then post the file on the forum and I will show you what can ( and can not ) be changed.:hysterical: Bruno

Hallo Bruno B) ,Starting at the beginning I tried allowing the lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 and got the following error message "Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:openoffice.org-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgstreamer-0.10.so.0)openoffice.org-gnome-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied openoffice.org[== 2.0.4])openoffice.org-l10n-en_GB-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied openoffice.org[== 2.0.4])"I'll do a search for them in the morning and let you know how it went (It's a bit late in the land of Oz).Sucess with libxine when the 32 bit main source was enabled (this is where I'll try for the open office files above). Then more sucess - was able to download & install gxine and gxine_mozilla ;) Didn't have sucess with the making of the backup file - do I have to su to root? This is the result I got with two attempts "[roger@localhost ~]$ cp /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg-BACKUPcp: cannot create regular file `/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg-BACKUP': Permission denied[roger@localhost ~]$ # cp /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg-BACKUP[roger@localhost ~]$"I did a search for "*.cfg-BACKUP" and nothing was found.Looking forward to your reply :hysterical: I'll be up early to beat the heat (36+ forcast) and then try a few more things.Grogerf

This was the command Bruno gave you:

See the # at the beginning of that command ? That means you will be or have to be user with root privileges, in other words being su -d.If the command would have started with a $ you would have been a normal user.That's the difference.Now back to the back up command, first get root privileges for that command:

$ su$ <password>

Now try the command Bruno gave you and you'll see it commences without problems.After that just type exit in the console which will put you back with user privileges, and type exit again to bail out of the console. :DYou may find the backup in the /etc/urpmi directory.

Starting at the beginning I tried allowing the lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 and got the following error message "Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:openoffice.org-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgstreamer-0.10.so.0)openoffice.org-gnome-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied openoffice.org[== 2.0.4])openoffice.org-l10n-en_GB-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied openoffice.org[== 2.0.4])"
That is funny . . . apparently the 32bits version of OpenOffice is selected ( or the updates for it ) and the lib64mozilla-firefox - that you actually do NOT need because you have the 32bits Firefox - conflicts with it. Well, sure it does !! So you will need to find a way to avoid the lib64mozilla-firefox . . . because you:1). Don't need it2). You want the 32bits OpenOffice ( because ther is no 64bits version yet )What I wonder: Is the 32bits version of libmozilla-firefox installed ?? ( Have a look in the MCC )B) Bruno

That is funny . . . apparently the 32bits version of OpenOffice is selected ( or the updates for it ) and the lib64mozilla-firefox - that you actually do NOT need because you have the 32bits Firefox - conflicts with it. Well, sure it does !! So you will need to find a way to avoid the lib64mozilla-firefox . . . because you:1). Don't need it2). You want the 32bits OpenOffice ( because ther is no 64bits version yet )What I wonder: Is the 32bits version of libmozilla-firefox installed ?? ( Have a look in the MCC )B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D ,When I go into MCC with only the 64 bit sources active 'look at installable software and ....' first the message appears "To satisfy dependencies, the following package(s) also needto be installed:lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0"When this is cancelled & I type firefox in the blank box, there are five entries, these are two gnash plugins (with blue tick marks), two libmozilla-firefoxs (green ticks 1.5.07.-1.5.07-1mdv2007.0 and 1.5.09-1.5.09-1mdv2007.0), and mozilla-firefox-1.5.09-1mdv2007.0 :( When I go into "look at installed software & remove...." first I get this message "Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0", after this warning there are four entries, all with green ticks one gnash plug in, the same two libmozilla-firefox entries as above and mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 :huh: All of the looking at MCC was done with only the 64 bit sources enabled.When I go into Firefox 'help about' it says Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061220 Mandriva/1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 (2007.0) Firefox/1.5.0.9, but I thought that we removed the 64 bit version way back! :P I'm confused!Looking forward to some light from the Netherlands B) Grogerf

When I go into Firefox 'help about' it says Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686 (x86_64); en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061220 Mandriva/1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 (2007.0) Firefox/1.5.0.9
No worries: This IS the i686 ( =32bits ) version installed on a 64 bits system !!What I wonder about is the "two gnash plugins (with blue tick marks)" . . . . I think you should remove the two blue tick marks because there is non need for the gnash plugins ( you already have the regular flash plugin ) . . . . my guess is that these gnash are 64 bits plugins and since you have 32 bits FF installed it thinks it needs the 64 bits FF to make those plugins work. So remove the gnash plugins and see if that improves the situation.B) Bruno** The gnash plugins are "free software" flash plugins . . . but still in full development, they tend to be buggy and do not work on flash 9 sites.This is why we installed the "regular" adobe/macromedia flash plugins.

No worries: This IS the i686 ( =32bits ) version installed on a 64 bits system !!What I wonder about is the "two gnash plugins (with blue tick marks)" . . . . I think you should remove the two blue tick marks because there is non need for the gnash plugins ( you already have the regular flash plugin ) . . . . my guess is that these gnash are 64 bits plugins and since you have 32 bits FF installed it thinks it needs the 64 bits FF to make those plugins work. So remove the gnash plugins and see if that improves the situation.B) Bruno** The gnash plugins are "free software" flash plugins . . . but still in full development, they tend to be buggy and do not work on flash 9 sites.This is why we installed the "regular" adobe/macromedia flash plugins.
Hallo Bruno :hmm: ,Here is the backup file { downloader: curl verify-rpm: 1}Powerpack\ DVD\ x86_64\ (Non\ free\ 32) file://mnt/cdrom { hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD x86_64 (Non free 32).cz ignore list: list.Powerpack DVD x86_64 (Non free 32)}Powerpack\ DVD\ x86_64\ (Non\ free) file://mnt/cdrom { hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD x86_64 (Non free).cz ignore list: list.Powerpack DVD x86_64 (Non free)}Powerpack\ DVD\ x_64\ (Main\ 32) file://mnt/cdrom { hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD x_64 (Main 32).cz ignore list: list.Powerpack DVD x_64 (Main 32)}Powerpack\ DVD\ x_64 file://mnt/cdrom { hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD x_64.cz ignore list: list.Powerpack DVD x_64}Main\ (Official2007.0-1) http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...ia/main/release { hdlist: hdlist.Main (Official2007.0-1).cz key-ids: 70771ff3 synthesis with_hdlist: ../../..//media/media_info/synthesis.hdlist_main.cz}Main\ Updates\ (Official2007.0-2) http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...ia/main/updates { hdlist: hdlist.Main Updates (Official2007.0-2).cz ignore synthesis with_hdlist: ../../..//media/media_info/synthesis.hdlist_main_updates.cz}Contrib\ (Official2007.0-3) http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...contrib/release { hdlist: hdlist.Contrib (Official2007.0-3).cz key-ids: 78d019f5 synthesis with_hdlist: ../../..//media/media_info/synthesis.hdlist_contrib.cz}Contrib\ Updates\ (Official2007.0-4) http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...contrib/updates { hdlist: hdlist.Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-4).cz synthesis with_hdlist: ../../..//media/media_info/synthesis.hdlist_contrib_updates.cz}update_source ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/updates { hdlist: hdlist.update_source.cz key-ids: 22458a98 update with_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_main.backports ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man.../main/backports { hdlist: hdlist.2007_main.backports.cz ignore with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_contrib.backports ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ntrib/backports { hdlist: hdlist.2007_contrib.backports.cz ignore with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_main.testing ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/testing { hdlist: hdlist.2007_main.testing.cz ignore with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_contrib.testing ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...contrib/testing { hdlist: hdlist.2007_contrib.testing.cz ignore with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...e/binary/x86_64 { hdlist: hdlist.plf-free.cz ignore key-ids: caba22ae with_hdlist: hdlist.cz}plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...e/binary/x86_64 { hdlist: hdlist.plf-nonfree.cz ignore key-ids: caba22ae with_hdlist: hdlist.cz}MandrivaClub.NL ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/man...bnl/2007/x86_64 { hdlist: hdlist.MandrivaClub.NL.cz ignore list: list.MandrivaClub.NL with_hdlist: hdlist.cz}2007_main.release ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/release { hdlist: hdlist.2007_main.release.cz ignore key-ids: 70771ff3 with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_contrib.release ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...contrib/release { hdlist: hdlist.2007_contrib.release.cz ignore key-ids: 78d019f5 with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}Updates\ 32BITS ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/updates { hdlist: hdlist.Updates 32BITS.cz ignore key-ids: 22458a98 with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}32BITS-plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ase/binary/i586 { hdlist: hdlist.32BITS-plf-free.cz ignore key-ids: caba22ae with_hdlist: hdlist.cz}32BITS-plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ase/binary/i586 { hdlist: hdlist.32BITS-plf-nonfree.cz ignore key-ids: caba22ae with_hdlist: hdlist.cz}Only four sources are enabled these are Main(Official2007.0-1), Contrib(Official2007.0-3), Contrib Updates(Official2007.0-4) and Update_source.Next I went to MCC select software for removal & searched for gnash - there were three files.The first file selected for removal was "libgnash0-07.1-2mdv2007.0" - which this gave the message"Because of their dependencies, the following package(s) also need to be removed:gnash-0.7.1-2mdv2007.0gnash-firefox-plugin-0.7.1-2mdv2007.0"All three gnash entries were removed.Then I went into "look at installable software ....", the warning "To satisfy dependencies, the following package(s) also needto be installed:lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0" still showed after removing the three gnash files. :devil: I quit at this point to seek further advice!Looking forward to the next stage of cleaning up the mess :thumbsup: Grogerf

This was the command Bruno gave you:

See the # at the beginning of that command ? That means you will be or have to be user with root privileges, in other words being su -d.If the command would have started with a $ you would have been a normal user.That's the difference.Now back to the back up command, first get root privileges for that command:

$ su$ <password>

Now try the command Bruno gave you and you'll see it commences without problems.After that just type exit in the console which will put you back with user privileges, and type exit again to bail out of the console. :DYou may find the backup in the /etc/urpmi directory.

Hallo Striker :devil: ,Thanks for pointing out that the hash sign indicates root privileges. :thumbsup: I'm on a steep learing curve! Perhaps it's just as well that I've run into so much 'trouble' - if everything goes smoothly you don't learn much! This way something is sinking in.As you will see from my response to Bruno - the command worked as advertised - once I was in the root mode.Thanks again.Grogerf

Okay GrogerLet us first do the edit of the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file:NOTE: You can NOT copy and paste the file as posted on the forum . . . because the forum software messed up the URLs in the file . . . so only look at the RED changes and make the edit in the original file on your computer exactly the same.

{downloader: wgetverify-rpm: 1}Powerpack\ DVD\ x86_64\ (Non\ free\ 32) file://mnt/cdrom {hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD x86_64 (Non free 32).czignorelist: list.Powerpack DVD x86_64 (Non free 32)}Powerpack\ DVD\ x86_64\ (Non\ free) file://mnt/cdrom {hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD x86_64 (Non free).czignorelist: list.Powerpack DVD x86_64 (Non free)}Powerpack\ DVD\ x_64\ (Main\ 32) file://mnt/cdrom {hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD x_64 (Main 32).czignorelist: list.Powerpack DVD x_64 (Main 32)}Powerpack\ DVD\ x_64 file://mnt/cdrom {hdlist: hdlist.Powerpack DVD x_64.czignorelist: list.Powerpack DVD x_64}Main\ (Official2007.0-1) http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...ia/main/release {hdlist: hdlist.Main (Official2007.0-1).czkey-ids: 70771ff3synthesiswith_hdlist: ../../..//media/media_info/synthesis.hdlist_main.cz}Main\ Updates\ (Official2007.0-2) http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...ia/main/updates {hdlist: hdlist.Main Updates (Official2007.0-2).czignoresynthesiswith_hdlist: ../../..//media/media_info/synthesis.hdlist_main_updates.cz}Contrib\ (Official2007.0-3) http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...contrib/release {hdlist: hdlist.Contrib (Official2007.0-3).czkey-ids: 78d019f5synthesiswith_hdlist: ../../..//media/media_info/synthesis.hdlist_contrib.cz}Contrib\ Updates\ (Official2007.0-4) http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr...contrib/updates {hdlist: hdlist.Contrib Updates (Official2007.0-4).czsynthesiswith_hdlist: ../../..//media/media_info/synthesis.hdlist_contrib_updates.cz}update_source ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/updates {hdlist: hdlist.update_source.czkey-ids: 22458a98updatewith_hdlist: media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_main.backports ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man.../main/backports {hdlist: hdlist.2007_main.backports.czignorewith_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_contrib.backports ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ntrib/backports {hdlist: hdlist.2007_contrib.backports.czignorewith_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_main.testing ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/testing {hdlist: hdlist.2007_main.testing.czignorewith_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}2007_contrib.testing ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...contrib/testing {hdlist: hdlist.2007_contrib.testing.czignorewith_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...e/binary/x86_64 {hdlist: hdlist.plf-free.czignorekey-ids: caba22aewith_hdlist: hdlist.cz}plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...e/binary/x86_64 {hdlist: hdlist.plf-nonfree.czignorekey-ids: caba22aewith_hdlist: hdlist.cz}MandrivaClub.NL ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/man...bnl/2007/x86_64 {hdlist: hdlist.MandrivaClub.NL.czignorelist: list.MandrivaClub.NLwith_hdlist: hdlist.cz}32BITS-2007_main.release ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/release {hdlist: hdlist.2007_main.release.czignorekey-ids: 70771ff3with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}32BITS-2007_contrib.release ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...contrib/release {hdlist: hdlist.2007_contrib.release.czignorekey-ids: 78d019f5with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}Updates\ 32BITS ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...ia/main/updates {hdlist: hdlist.Updates 32BITS.czignorekey-ids: 22458a98with_hdlist: ./media_info/hdlist.cz}32BITS-plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ase/binary/i586 {hdlist: hdlist.32BITS-plf-free.czignorekey-ids: caba22aewith_hdlist: hdlist.cz}32BITS-plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux...ase/binary/i586 {hdlist: hdlist.32BITS-plf-nonfree.czignorekey-ids: caba22aewith_hdlist: hdlist.cz}
So again: please do NOT COPY and PASTE the above quote:thumbsup: Bruno

Okay GrogerLet us first do the edit of the /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg file:NOTE: You can NOT copy and paste the file as posted on the forum . . . because the forum software messed up the URLs in the file . . . so only look at the RED changes and make the edit in the original file on your computer exactly the same.So again: please do NOT COPY and PASTE the above quoteB) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D ,First attempt using Kate from the desktop failed - not allowed to save the file with changes.Then I opened a terminal, SU to root, and opened Kate from within the terminal, did the changes and all went well :thumbsup: . Then I opened the MCC from the desktop and the changes were showing - great :) .Looking forward to the next installment!Thanks again for your patience :clap: Grogerf

Great Groger ! . . . Glad there is another issue out of the way :thumbsup: Now, about the stubborn lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 . . . what happens if you simply install it ?? Does it stop complaining and shut up after that ? Or does it want even more packages ?How does FF behave ( even without the lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 ) ?? And if you type "about:plugins" in the addressbar . . does it list all the plugins we installed ?:clap: Bruno

Great Groger ! . . . Glad there is another issue out of the way B) Now, about the stubborn lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 . . . what happens if you simply install it ?? Does it stop complaining and shut up after that ? Or does it want even more packages ?How does FF behave ( even without the lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 ) ?? And if you type "about:plugins" in the addressbar . . does it list all the plugins we installed ?:pirate: Bruno
Hallo Bruno :hysterical: ,Taking your last question first - the plugins listed are:-Shockwave Flash File name: libflashplayer.so Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledapplication/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash swf Yesapplication/futuresplash FutureSplash Player spl YesJava Plug-in Blackdown-1.4.2-03 File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so Blackdown Java-Linux Java Plug-in 1.4.2MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledapplication/x-java-vm Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_01 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_02 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_03 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_04 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_05 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_06 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_07 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_08 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_09 Java Yesapplication/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.2_10 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.3 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.4 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_01 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_02 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_03 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_04 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_05 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_06 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_07 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_08 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_09 Java Yesapplication/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.2_10 Java Yesgxine starter plugin File name: gxineplugin.so will start external gxine media player for embedded media streamsMIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledvideo/mpeg MPEG animation mpeg, mpg, mpe Yesvideo/x-mpeg MPEG animation mpeg, mpg, mpe Yesaudio/mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yesaudio/x-mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yesaudio/mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yesaudio/x-mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yesaudio/mpeg MPEG audio mpa,abs,mpega Yesaudio/x-mpeg MPEG audio mpa,abs,mpega Yesvideo/quicktime Quicktime animation mov,qt Yesvideo/x-quicktime Quicktime animation mov,qt Yesvideo/msvideo AVI animation avi Yesvideo/x-msvideo AVI animation avi Yesapplication/x-mplayer2 mplayer2 asf,asx,asp Yesvideo/x-ms-asf-plugin mms animation asf,asx,asp Yesaudio/x-ogg OGG Media ogg,ogm Yesaudio/x-scpls MPEG audio pls YesGoogle VLC multimedia plugin 1.0 File name: mplayerplug-in-gmp.so mplayerplug-in 3.25 Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 WidgetsMIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledapplication/x-google-vlc-plugin Google Video YesQuickTime Plug-in 6.0 File name: mplayerplug-in-qt.so mplayerplug-in 3.25 Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 WidgetsMIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledvideo/quicktime Quicktime mov Yesvideo/x-quicktime Quicktime mov Yesimage/x-quicktime Quicktime mov Yesvideo/quicktime Quicktime mp4 Yesvideo/quicktime Quicktime - Session Description Protocol sdp Yesapplication/x-quicktimeplayer Quicktime mov Yesapplication/smil SMIL smil YesRealPlayer 9 File name: mplayerplug-in-rm.so mplayerplug-in 3.25 Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 WidgetsMIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledaudio/x-pn-realaudio RealAudio ram,rm Yesapplication/vnd.rn-realmedia RealMedia rm Yesapplication/vnd.rn-realaudio RealAudio ra,ram Yesvideo/vnd.rn-realvideo RealVideo rv Yesaudio/x-realaudio RealAudio ra Yesapplication/smil SMIL smil YesWindows Media Player Plugin File name: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so mplayerplug-in 3.25 Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 WidgetsMIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledapplication/asx Media Files * Yesvideo/x-ms-asf-plugin Media Files * Yesvideo/x-msvideo AVI avi,* Yesvideo/msvideo AVI avi,* Yesapplication/x-mplayer2 Media Files * Yesapplication/x-ms-wmv Microsoft WMV video wmv,* Yesvideo/x-ms-asf Media Files asf,asx,* Yesvideo/x-ms-wm Media Files wm,* Yesvideo/x-ms-wmv Microsoft WMV video wmv,* Yesaudio/x-ms-wmv Windows Media wmv,* Yesvideo/x-ms-wmp Windows Media wmp,* Yesvideo/x-ms-wvx Windows Media wvx,* Yesaudio/x-ms-wax Windows Media wax,* Yesaudio/x-ms-wma Windows Media wma,* Yesapplication/x-drm-v2 Windows Media asx,* Yesaudio/wav Microsoft wave file wav,* Yesaudio/x-wav Microsoft wave file wav,* Yesmplayerplug-in 3.25 File name: mplayerplug-in.so mplayerplug-in 3.25 Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 WidgetsMIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledvideo/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yesaudio/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yesvideo/x-mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yesvideo/x-mpeg2 MPEG2 mpv2,mp2ve Yesaudio/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yesaudio/x-mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yesaudio/mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yesaudio/x-mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yesvideo/mp4 MPEG 4 Video mp4 Yesaudio/mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yesaudio/x-mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yesaudio/x-mpegurl MPEG url m3u Yesaudio/mp3 MPEG audio mp3 Yesapplication/x-ogg Ogg Vorbis Media ogg Yesaudio/ogg Ogg Vorbis Audio ogg Yesapplication/ogg Ogg Vorbis / Ogg Theora ogg Yesvideo/fli FLI animation fli,flc Yesvideo/x-fli FLI animation fli,flc Yesvideo/vnd.vivo VivoActive viv,vivo Yesapplication/x-nsv-vp3-mp3 Nullsoft Streaming Video nsv Yesvideo/divx DivX Media Format divx Yesvideo/vnd.divx DivX Media Format divx Yesaudio/basic Basic Audio File au,snd Yesaudio/x-basic Basic Audio File au,snd YesAdobe Reader 7.0 File name: nppdf.so The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF files from within the browser.MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabledapplication/pdf Portable Document Format pdf Yesapplication/vnd.fdf Acrobat Forms Data Format fdf Yesapplication/vnd.adobe.xfdf XML Version of Acrobat Forms Data Format xfdf Yesapplication/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml Acrobat XML Data Package xdp Yesapplication/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml Adobe FormFlow99 Data File xfd YesSeems like a truckload - surely they're all there!Regarding how Firefox behaves - well there isn't anything obviously wrong with it that's come up recently -and I haven't tried to install that pesky lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 yet. :thumbsup: What should I look for as a result of lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 not being installed? Is there something that would be obvious to a newbie? (New to Linux & new to Firefox).Looking forward to my next installment along the trail of understanding :hmm: .Grogerf

Seems like a truckload - surely they're all there!
Means you did a pretty good job on them Groger :rolleyes:
Regarding how Firefox behaves - well there isn't anything obviously wrong with it that's come up recently -and I haven't tried to install that pesky lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 yet. :)
In that case you can either keep ignoring the message that lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 needs to be installed . . . . or just give in to the pressure and install the #$%@!! file :thumbsup: ( but only that one and not a whole bundle of other packages dep-ending on lib64mozilla-firefox :wacko: )B) Bruno

Means you did a pretty good job on them Groger :hysterical: In that case you can either keep ignoring the message that lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0 needs to be installed . . . . or just give in to the pressure and install the #$%@!! file B) ( but only that one and not a whole bundle of other packages dep-ending on lib64mozilla-firefox ;) )B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D ,I went into MCC "Look at installable software....", and the message comes up "To satisfy dependencies, the following package(s) also needto be installed:lib64mozilla-firefox1.5.0.9-1.5.0.9-1mdv2007.0" Clicked on ok and ths message came up"Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:openoffice.org-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgstreamer-0.10.so.0)openoffice.org-gnome-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied openoffice.org[== 2.0.4])openoffice.org-l10n-en_GB-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied openoffice.org[== 2.0.4])"I cancelled the install of lib64mozilla..... and tried a little investigating. This is what I found:-When I go into Help About in Open Office it tells me it's OpenOffice.org. 2.0.3. Is the 'problem'due to needing to do an update on openoffice? If it is due to needing an update it'll have to wait until the broadband is available again (unless the download is very small).When I only activate the normal 64 bit sources and do a search for 'libgstreamer' there are no results, but when I do the search with only the 32 bit sources there are several hits.Looking forward to your analysis & sugestions :hysterical: GrogerfHallo again Bruno,I've now installed libgstreamer from the 32 bits source), and tried again to intstall THAT file. Again more packages needed for dependancies. This time I ran into the following message using the 64 bit sources only"openoffice.org-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0)"Next I enabled the 32 bit update source, and it came back telling me that there were a total of 477 megs of updates available. The bulk of the update will abviously have to wait! However maybe I could select only the most important updates until I can get back on the braod band.GrogerfHope this adds a little more to the picture.Looking forward to your response Edited by Grogerf

Hi GrogerThe office update is > 200MB and not pressing at all . . . . let it wait for your broadband, don't get it on dial-up. there are better things you can do with the time you lose on it.:hysterical: Bruno

Hi GrogerThe office update is > 200MB and not pressing at all . . . . let it wait for your broadband, don't get it on dial-up. there are better things you can do with the time you lose on it.B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :hysterical: ,Thanks for the advice :hysterical: . You've saved me hours ;) .I have signed up to another provider (using ADSL) with a higher speed and a bigger download limit - should have it running in about 10 days or so. I plan to run the new supplier on an ethernet card (already installed & known to be working) and keep the existing supplier (a point to point radio system) until it runs out on the built in port on the motherboard. I expect that I'll only have one modem or the other switched on at any given time. Do you see any problems with this type of arrangement?Grogerf

You're welcome Groger :hysterical: Indeed getting an ADSL provider with none or a bigger download limit would give you a better chance to keep up with all the new releases and updates B)

Do you see any problems with this type of arrangement?
Nope, looks like a good idea to me.:hysterical: Bruno

You're welcome Groger :thumbsup: Indeed getting an ADSL provider with none or a bigger download limit would give you a better chance to keep up with all the new releases and updates :) Nope, looks like a good idea to me.B) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :D ,Thanks for your confirmation of the idea. B) .I'll be a little bit more quiet than I have been until I get the new provider! :hmm: - then I'll be back getting all those updates to work :) .Grogerf

• 3 weeks later...
Hallo Bruno :D ,Thanks for your confirmation of the idea. B) .I'll be a little bit more quiet than I have been until I get the new provider! :hmm: - then I'll be back getting all those updates to work :) .Grogerf
Hallo Bruno :D ,Back with a new provider and with a new month with the wireless provider :w00t: I did most of the updates - that is apart from Open Office - got the following warning Sorry, the following package(s) can't be selected:openoffice.org-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0)openoffice.org-gnome-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied openoffice.org[== 2.0.4])openoffice.org-l10n-en_GB-2.0.4-2.1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to unsatisfied openoffice.org[== 2.0.4])" :( Had a look around for libgstinterfaces, but it doesn't seem to come up with any of the sources enabled - either 64 bit or 32 bit B) How do I work around this missing file?Looking forward to your advice on this one :D Grogerf

????Whe I do "rpm -qi libgstinterfaces" it tells me:"package libgstinterfaces is not installed" . . . . B) . . . it puzzles me why you would need it and why your OOo is depending on it ( mine is running fine without )Aslo when I search http://fr2.rpmfind.net/ for the package libgstinterfaces it comes up empty. ( Even searching the "club" database I can not find any reference to libgstinterfaces )Could you please have a look what "rpm -qi libgstinterfaces" shows on your system, would like to know what version you you have installed presently.B) Bruno

????Whe I do "rpm -qi libgstinterfaces" it tells me:"package libgstinterfaces is not installed" . . . . B) . . . it puzzles me why you would need it and why your OOo is depending on it ( mine is running fine without )Aslo when I search http://fr2.rpmfind.net/ for the package libgstinterfaces it comes up empty.Could you please have a look what "rpm -qi libgstinterfaces" shows on your system, would like to know what version you you have installed presently.:D Bruno
Hallo Bruno :w00t: ,Talk about a "Speed of Light Response" B) This is what happens when I do the query:-[roger@AAPT ~]$ rpm -qi libgstinterfacespackage libgstinterfaces is not installed[roger@AAPT ~]$Another point comes out of that - now I'm logged on with my new provider "AAPT" - I appear as roger@AAPT in the terminal - is that normal? (to get the new service running I had to install DHCP &do an automatic install - it didn't work with a static manual set up (winows worked automattically with Dynamic addressing - I guess the D in DHCP stands for dynamic)Looking forward to furthering my education in Linux - Mandriva 2007 64 bit PowerPack edition! :hmm: Grogerf

package libgstinterfaces is not installed
We will address this later today and "force" the install of OOo ( I have to go to work now )
Another point comes out of that - now I'm logged on with my new provider "AAPT" - I appear as roger@AAPT in the terminal - is that normal?
This is a hostname issue . . . have a look here how to fix that: Changing HostnameB) Bruno

We will address this later today and "force" the install of OOo ( I have to go to work now ) This is a hostname issue . . . have a look here how to fix that: Changing HostnameB) Bruno
Hallo Bruno :) Thank you for your reply again! Now I'm learning by making mistakes :D I messed that up Royally B) . I think what happened was that I rebooted before I changed the file :D Now I come up as "roger@unknown-00-02-44-ae-a0-07 ~" , when it should be "roger@localhost" which file do I edit now? :D :w00t: Must have been too late at night for me! hope your day at work is/was OK!Grogerf
That libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0 package is here:http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...stem=&arch= :(
Hallo stricker :D ,Thank you - at least we can find it it we need to now :hmm: I'd better get off to sleep - done too much damage already (I'm now an "unknown" - looks bad!) B) Grogerf

That libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0 package is here:http://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...stem=&arch= :D
Woooow . . . kudos for finding it Striker !!!@ Groger ( and Eric ) . . . try this:
# rpm -ihv ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooker/2007.0/x86_64/media/main/release/lib64gstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0.10.9-1mdv2007.0.x86_64.rpm

( Command is ONE line !! )And let us see if it gives any dependency issues installing this lib64gstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 package . . . . In case it installs just fine you can try the OpenOffice updates again and chances are it will be no more problem.

I messed that up Royally B) . I think what happened was that I rebooted before I changed the file :'( Now I come up as "roger@unknown-00-02-44-ae-a0-07 ~" , when it should be "roger@localhost" which file do I edit now? :wacko: :(
No panic . . . . all is well . . . nothing wrong with "unknown" as hostname :teehee: Please tell me first: what would you like the hostname to be ?? ( Use your imagination, anything goes ! :P )B) Bruno