No sound in free2006 reinstall

albrtijo

Hi albrtijoYou typed "rpm -q database" . . . sorry, but I was looking for "rpm -q kdebase" :blink: . . .LOLAlso: Should look like I assume the update_source is not disabled . . . . is it ?? If so we will have to remove the source and add it in the terminal . . . so let me know the score ;):thumbsup: Bruno
Bruno:[charlie@localhost ~]$ rpm -q kdebasekdebase-3.5.0-11mdk[charlie@localhost ~]$I got carried away with Xs, mine should have been like yours.Where in"L" did I get database?I saw something about update_source being unavailable.albrtijo

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• albrtijo

• Bruno

• teacher

• striker

[charlie@localhost ~]$ rpm -q kdebasekdebase-3.5.0-11mdk[charlie@localhost ~]$
Now I see why you are not getting any updates: You are far ahead of us ! ( we are still at kdebase-3.4.2-55mdk ) ;)To reactivate the update_source: go in the MCC --> "Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system" . . . select the "update_source" and press the "Edit" button. Next copy the next URL in the box that says "URL"
ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates

And this in the box "Relative path to synthesis/hdlist":

media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

Finally press "Save Changes" and you should be okay :DB) Bruno

Now I see why you are not getting any updates: You are far ahead of us ! ( we are still at kdebase-3.4.2-55mdk ) ;)To reactivate the update_source: go in the MCC --> "Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system" . . . select the "update_source" and press the "Edit" button. Next copy the next URL in the box that says "URL"
ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates

And this in the box "Relative path to synthesis/hdlist":

media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz

Finally press "Save Changes" and you should be okay :DB) Bruno

Bruno:After I clicked "Save changes" I got a little window with "Unable to create medium"Then I was told to download a whole mess of programs.I'm really confused.A screen came on and ended saying to install CD2'but when I put in CD2 that screen had disappeared (Note: unlikeother such instructions, this one did not open the CDROM drawer.)Before I messed this up I was trying to print your instructions for "above"and the printer has become inaccessible. The MCC - printer thing says it's installed and enabled but I couldn't print anything.Windows XP, as much as I use it, seems okay (there's sound for one thing) so that would be a hint (not a strong one) that the computer is ok. But why am I (You and I) having all this trouble.I've never experienced a virus, but because I am in and out of the system so much, trying to learn Linux, I don't use passwords. Maybe someone is "toying" with me???And I hate burdening you with such illogical occurrences. albrtijoI've been working on my Income Taxes this week, but I think I'm free of that now.I put in PCLos and it complained that it ewas unable to setup the printer automatically, but with my permission it set it up and printed my test message. Edited by albrtijo

Then I was told to download a whole mess of programs.
Woooow . . . I hope you did not let it do that . . :'(Maybe it is time to switch to PCLos because you seem to have continuos problems with Drake . . . . how is PClos behaving on your system ?:devil: Bruno** Good luck with the taxes :D

Woooow . . . I hope you did not let it do that . . :'(Maybe it is time to switch to PCLos because you seem to have continuos problems with Drake . . . . how is PClos behaving on your system ?:w00tx100: Bruno** Good luck with the taxes :thumbsup:
Bruno:I just tried the "install the printer" in MCC. It shows my HP PSC 2510 is setup and enabled. I tried the "printer test page", it printed fine.I went back to Desktop, clicked a little KWrite file, clicked "Print", the printer page opened with dots only in the "Names" and: after a few seconds, the following appeared:An error occurred while retrieving the printer list:"Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: host not found."And if that isn't enough, I went back to MCC, Software Management, Install: "cups" and the flock of files appeared, ready to be installed:3 apcupsd, 2 bluez-utils-cups, 2cupsddk, 3 cups-serial, 5 fax4cups, a gimpprint-cups, a gnome-cups-manager, 3 libcups2, 2 libgnomecups, 2 libgnomecupssui, and a php-cups.I don't know how to "check that the CUPS server is correctly installed."If you remember, when I tried to install PCLos as a third OS, I didn't notice I was installing it in place of my original free 2006 until it was too late and am now reinstalling free 2006. I have so much Mandrake material on the HD and especially my external HD that I hate to let all of it go to waste. Off the CD, PCLos hasn't been troublesome, but then I really haven't got my genius into it.albrtijo

3 apcupsd, 2 bluez-utils-cups, 2cupsddk, 3 cups-serial, 5 fax4cups, a gimpprint-cups, a gnome-cups-manager, 3 libcups2, 2 libgnomecups, 2 libgnomecupssui, and a php-cups.
Those are packages that have "cups" in their name . . . but some of them are not even for printing and none of them are really needed for basic printing.If you can print a test-page in the MCC you should be able to print a "normal" file too . . . . If you have a HP PSC you should have the "HP Printer Toolbox" in the menu under "System" --> "Monitoring" . . . can you start that program and tell me if on the first page of the "HP Printer Toolbox" you see the printer represented in the left column ??Also have a look in the MCC --> Services --> "Enable or disable the system services" and see if "Cups" is listed and "running' . . . And if "hplip" is listed and set to run at boot.:thumbsup: Bruno

Those are packages that have "cups" in their name . . . but some of them are not even for printing and none of them are really needed for basic printing.If you can print a test-page in the MCC you should be able to print a "normal" file too . . . . If you have a HP PSC you should have the "HP Printer Toolbox" in the menu under "System" --> "Monitoring" . . . can you start that program and tell me if on the first page of the "HP Printer Toolbox" you see the printer represented in the left column ??Also have a look in the MCC --> Services --> "Enable or disable the system services" and see if "Cups" is listed and "running' . . . And if "hplip" is listed and set to run at boot.:thumbsup: Bruno
Bruno,Didn't know about the "HP Printer Toolbox". HP PSC 2500 is in left column.MCC --> Services --> "cups" is running, is X on boot "hplip" is not running, is not X on boot # chkconfig --list shows:hplip 0:off 1:off 2 _ 5:on 6:offalbrtijo Edited by albrtijo

Hi AlbrtijoCan you check that box for hplip so it starts at boot, next reboot and try again if the printer does work ?

HP PSC 2500 is in left column
This is a good sign !
Didn't know about the "HP Printer Toolbox".
LOL . . . enjoy the new toy :whistling: Keep an eye on it !:rolleyes: Bruno

Hi AlbrtijoCan you check that box for hplip so it starts at boot, next reboot and try again if the printer does work ? This is a good sign ! LOL . . . enjoy the new toy B) Keep an eye on it !:thumbsup: Bruno
Bruno:hplip is "stopped" with "X On boot"When I "ok" MCC --> service and restart the computer, hplip is still "stopped" with "X On boot".When I click hplip "stopped" "Info", I get:!/bin/bash Startup/shutdown script forHPLIP Note, this script file must startbefore cupsd. For chkconfig the HPLIPpriority (ie: 50) must be less the cupsdpriority (ie: 55). For LSB install_initdthe cups script file should have "hplip"in the Should_Start field. chkconfig:2345 14 61 description: Start/stopscript for HP Linux Imaging and Printing(HPLIP). © 2004 CopyrightHewlett-Packard Develpment Company, LPBEGIN INIT INFO Provides: hplipRequired-Start: Required-Stop:Should-Start: Should-Stop:Default-Start: 3 5 Default-Stop:Description: Start/stop script for HPLinux Imaging and Printing (HPLIP) ENDINIT INFOWhen I click Start, I get:Stopping hpiod: [OK]Stopping hpssd: [OK]Starting: hpiod: [OK]Starting hpssd: [OK]When I click Stop, I get:Stopping hpiod: [OK]Stopping hpssd: [OK]albrtijo

hplip is "stopped" with "X On boot"When I "ok" MCC --> service and restart the computer, hplip is still "stopped" with "X On boot".
This is the usual behavior . . . . nothing to worry about.Did you test printing after booting with the new settings ??B) Bruno

This is the usual behavior . . . . nothing to worry about.Did you test printing after booting with the new settings ??B) Bruno
When I click "Print" the "Print hplip - KWrite" screen (with "Name:" down to "Print") comes with dotted line after Name:Then a window with this message:An error occurred while retrieving the printer list:Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: host not found.albrtijo Edited by albrtijo

When I click "Print" the "Print hplip - KWrite" screen (with "Name:" down to "Print") comes with dotted line after Name:
Strange ! . . . Better go into the MCC and remove the printer . . . . next reboot ( printer attached and ON ) . . . .then after the reboot add the printer again.One question: does it pick the correct printer automatically or do you have to choose it from a list ??B) Bruno

Strange ! . . . Better go into the MCC and remove the printer . . . . next reboot ( printer attached and ON ) . . . .then after the reboot add the printer again.One question: does it pick the correct printer automatically or do you have to choose it from a list ??B) Bruno
Bruno:First it picks the printer and sets it up automatically.********************I just tried the "install the printer" in MCC. It shows my HP PSC 2510 is setup and enabled. I tried the "printer test page", it printed fine.I went back to Desktop, clicked this KWrite file, clicked "Print", the printer page opened with dots only in the "Names" and: After a few seconds, the following appeared:An error occurred while retrieving the printer list:"Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: host not found."****************************I don't know how to "check that the CUPS server is correctly installed."Bruno, part of this message is from an old file I randomly chose today to test the printer.albrtijo

The cups server has to be okay . . . you would not be able to print a test page if it was not !:) Bruno
The printer won't work in Linux on my laptop (2006LE) or my desktop (free 2006) but works in Windows XP on both. I say this to acknowledge the printer is connected to the computers.I have had the printer work on both machines in the past. In fact after the setup process on the laptopthe "test" prints in color now, but it doesn't print otherwise.I don't remember being in the dark this long with the computers than any other time in my life.But I keep hopin' albrtijoSomething new: on my Sony Desktop by going to the konsole and entering "lpr Text_File" I get a printout, but the Sony will not print from the gui. Edited by albrtijo