No sound in free2006 reinstall

albrtijo

Here 'tis, Bruno:[charlie@localhost ~]$ cat ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc[Misc]LastConfiguredApp=Akregator[startProgress]Arts Init=falseKNotify Init=trueUse Arts=false[charlie@localhost ~]$
Hi Albrtijo . . . . . all those values have to be "true" . . . so:
Arts Init=trueKNotify Init=trueUse Arts=true

:w00t: Bruno

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• albrtijo

• Bruno

• teacher

• striker

For the Kmix issue . . . you can delete the kmixrc

$ rm /home/bruno/.kde/share/config/kmixrc

And all should be normal at next bootB) BrunoPS: also see post #61 :w00t:

Sorry Charlie, I'm guilty of not being specific enough. Since I knew you were using KDE rather than gnome, I thought it was safe to assume that the sections and tabs were the same but it may also depend on the version of KDE included with Mandriva free. Bruno is very good at getting directly to the place to look (hmmm, point and click lots of times vs command line - his method is also tons more efficient).
Liz,Thanks for your offer to help, no apologies necessary.Although I am becoming responsible for one: I threw up my hands at the conglomeration I was in, so I'm into reinstalling free2006. But here I am in an avalanche suggestions with inconsideration mud on my face. Inconsideration because I didn't announce my reinstall.I have saved all, or most, of Bruno's suggestions and I am proceeding a step at a time in using them.With one change in direction: with some priority over my sound problem, I'm trying to get the taskbar to show (by little rectangles with titles) which files are in use, the normal procedure. Every time I've installed free2006, I've been without that advantage. Although this time I noticed that in the very beginning the rectangles did appear, though that goodie soon disappeared.I hope all the good suggestors happen on this message. From now on I'll include the info in every response to suggestions.Whew! what a mouthful! albrtijo

Well I can tell you that my lack of sound was caused by Akregator! Exactly what you are showing. When I changed it to KDE System Notification, I heard all the nice sounds again. (All the other settings I tweaked didn't do a thing).

Well I can tell you that my lack of sound was caused by Akregator! Exactly what you are showing. When I changed it to KDE System Notification, I heard all the nice sounds again. (All the other settings I tweaked didn't do a thing).
Liz, look at post #61.

Liz, look at post #61.
Sorry to have to add this as a reply -- couldn't figure how else to do it.[charlie@localhost ~]$ su[root@localhost charlie]# modinfo soundcorefilename: /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdksmp/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko.gz (((see*below)))description: Core sound moduleauthor: Alan Coxlicense: GPLalias: char-major-14-*vermagic: 2.6.12-12mdksmp SMP 686 gcc-4.0depends:[root@localhost charlie]#[root@localhost charlie]# uname -r2.6.12-12mdksmp[root@localhost charlie]#The "smp" thing again. Whenever I bring up the processor info , it shows 2 Intel, Pentium 4 processors, 530J with Intel Hyper-Threading. But the info sheet copied from Sony shows only 1 processor, with HT, which I think is right -- computer not expensive enough for 2 of those babies.(see*here) should this be unzipped?

Hi albrtijoI think the smp is less important then the 2.6.12-12 . . . . because the 2.6.12-12 has a bug for your soundcard . . . you will need to upgrade the kernel !So first get the updates ( the normal way ) and after the updates are finished you go into the "add software" section and check the box for "All packages by medium repository" . . . then you will see a few sections of packages and one of them is "update_source" . . . in the list of the packages of the "update_source" you search for "kernel" and you try to find the same kernel you have but then with a higher number ( 2.6.12-14 or 2.6.12-17 or even the latest 2.6.12-18 ) and install that one . . . the installer will automatically update your lilo . . . so boot from the new kernel and see if you then have sound.:hysterical: Bruno

Sorry to have to add this as a reply -- couldn't figure how else to do it.[charlie@localhost ~]$ su[root@localhost charlie]# modinfo soundcorefilename: /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdksmp/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko.gz (((see*below)))description: Core sound moduleauthor: Alan Coxlicense: GPLalias: char-major-14-*vermagic: 2.6.12-12mdksmp SMP 686 gcc-4.0depends:[root@localhost charlie]#[root@localhost charlie]# uname -r2.6.12-12mdksmp[root@localhost charlie]#The "smp" thing again. Whenever I bring up the processor info , it shows 2 Intel, Pentium 4 processors, 530J with Intel Hyper-Threading. But the info sheet copied from Sony shows only 1 processor, with HT, which I think is right -- computer not expensive enough for 2 of those babies.(see*here) should this be unzipped?
No, leave it as is.

Hi albrtijoI think the smp is less important then the 2.6.12-12 . . . . because the 2.6.12-12 has a bug for your soundcard . . . you will need to upgrade the kernel !So first get the updates ( the normal way ) and after the updates are finished you go into the "add software" section and check the box for "All packages by medium repository" . . . then you will see a few sections of packages and one of them is "update_source" . . . in the list of the packages of the "update_source" you search for "kernel" and you try to find the same kernel you have but then with a higher number ( 2.6.12-14 or 2.6.12-17 or even the latest 2.6.12-18 ) and install that one . . . the installer will automatically update your lilo . . . so boot from the new kernel and see if you then have sound.:sweatingbullets: Bruno
Bruno,Installed 2.6.12-18mdk-i586-up-1GBTo do so I had to install 100 items including some Apaches.No sound at the finish of loading, but once again there's sound when ~/sound.sh is clicked.***********Forgive the double-clutching but there's never the indication in Taskbar when a program is loaded (i.e. the little rectangles with the files' names). Because of this maneuvering between files is nerve-wrackingly slow. I couldn't find the messages where we worked on this problem.**********The KMix controls window now has 3 tabs:Output with:FrontFront micLineCDMicInput:CaptureCaptureSwitches:Input Source: Line Mic Front Mic Line CDInput Source: (but this one with Headphone printed vertically beside it) Line Mic Front Mic Line CD************
No, leave it as is.
Thanks, striker.I know three of your relatives. The third one stops me quite often in my mastering of Linux.albrtijo Edited by albrtijo

\Forgive the double-clutching but there's never the indication in Taskbar when a program is loaded (i.e. the little rectangles with the files' names).Because of this maneuvering between files is nerve-wrackingly slow. I couldn't find the messages where we worked on this problem.
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=14774scroll down to post #4I believe that's what you're looking for, at least it starts there.
I know three of your relatives. The third one stops me quite often in my mastering of Linux.
Can you explain a bit? :sweatingbullets:

Hi albrtijoI think the smp is less important then the 2.6.12-12 . . . . because the 2.6.12-12 has a bug for your soundcard . . . you will need to upgrade the kernel !So first get the updates ( the normal way ) and after the updates are finished you go into the "add software" section and check the box for "All packages by medium repository" . . . then you will see a few sections of packages and one of them is "update_source" . . . in the list of the packages of the "update_source" you search for "kernel" and you try to find the same kernel you have but then with a higher number ( 2.6.12-14 or 2.6.12-17 or even the latest 2.6.12-18 ) and install that one . . . the installer will automatically update your lilo . . . so boot from the new kernel and see if you then have sound.:hysterical: Bruno
BrunoI've been back-searching some of the old messages of ours that you afforded me access and I came across this. As you can see I still don't have access to alsamixergui[root@localhost charlie]# urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...6/media/contrib with ../media_info/hdlist_contrib.czadded medium contribwrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation Free CD1 (cdrom1).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation Free CD2 (cdrom2).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation Free CD3 (cdrom3).cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "contrib"... ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...list_contrib.czfound probed hdlist (or synthesis) as ../media_info/hdlist_contrib.cz...retrieving doneexamining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.contrib.cz]examining pubkey file of "contrib"......imported key 78d019f5 from pubkey file of "contrib"performing second pass to compute dependenciesexamining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation Free CD1 (cdrom1).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation Free CD1 (cdrom1)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation Free CD2 (cdrom2).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation Free CD2 (cdrom2)"examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation Free CD3 (cdrom3).cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation Free CD3 (cdrom3)"examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.contrib.cz]built hdlist synthesis file for medium "contrib"found 0 headers in cacheremoving 0 obsolete headers in cachewrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg][root@localhost charlie]# urpmi alsamixerguino package named alsamixergui[root@localhost charlie]#

Bruno, A non sequitur' I'm digging through our past messages. A reminder, I am getting plenty of boopety boops when I click sound..sh. Maybe you'll see something.I'm also scavenging for a solution to why the little rectangles with a used file's name never appear (and then disappear) in the taskbar. I waste a lot of time recovering files that disappear off the screen, or completely, when I have to use another file. Back to the sound problem:**********Hi albrtijoAs long as "aslamixer is installed you can use "aumix" as the gui for it ;):hysterical: Bruno
QUOTE(Bruno @ Dec 14 2005, 06:05 PM) *Great . . .that works better, thanks !I think I see what is wrong, we need to make a few changes . . . . . . can you please post:CODE# cat /etc/modprobe.confThen start aumix with ( as user !! ):CODE$ aumixThis should pop up the aumix GUI . . please do "File" --> "Save" and after that post:CODE$ cat /home/albrtijo/.aumixrcAnd then I can post the changes you will have to make to both files smile.gifcool.gif Bruno*********************************The following (using the instructions above) I ran today 4-1-06[charlie@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.confinstall scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ata_piix; /sbin/modprobe ahci; /bin/trueinstall usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/truealias ieee1394-controller ohci1394alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intelremove snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intelinstall snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-hda-intel && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }alias eth0 e100alias eth1 eth1394[charlie@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/modprobe.confinstall scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ata_piix; /sbin/modprobe ahci; /bin/trueinstall usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd; /bin/truealias ieee1394-controller ohci1394alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intelremove snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intelinstall snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-hda-intel && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }alias eth0 e100alias eth1 eth1394[charlie@localhost ~]$******I ran the above twice to see if the gap was for real. It is, does it mean anything?**************[charlie@localhost ~]$ aumix[charlie@localhost ~]$ cat /home/charlie/.aumixrcvol:81:81:Pline:80:80:Pmic:54:54:Pcd:80:80:Ppcm2:100:100:Pigain:100:100:P

Hi albrtijoHow did you get that gap in your /etc/modprobe.conf ?? Not that it would influence the correct running of the distro, but it should not be there. :DNext . . the /home/charlie/.aumixrc . . . there is a "P" at the "Mic" . . . and that "P" should actually be an "R" . . . . . you can change that in any editor and next in the aumix-gui do "File" --> "load settings" . . . it will then load those same settings also at next reboot.:hysterical: Bruno

Hi albrtijoHow did you get that gap in your /etc/modprobe.conf ?? Not that it would influence the correct running of the distro, but it should not be there. :DNext . . the /home/charlie/.aumixrc . . . there is a "P" at the "Mic" . . . and that "P" should actually be an "R" . . . . . you can change that in any editor and next in the aumix-gui do "File" --> "load settings" . . . it will then load those same settings also at next reboot.B) Bruno
Did that ok, Bruno.The Sony desktop (the misfit), with free2006, has a Kmix window with::Only one tab: Output (no Input, no Switches)includes:LineMicrophoneCDPcm2IGainalong the bottom:Balance slider and:Realtek ALC880PCLos on the Sony has a simlar "one tab" setup.PCLos on the Toshiba laptop with le2005 has:the comlete 3 tab Kmix screen Seems like the trouble is with Sony desktop, but:Free2006 on the Sony does not furnish the little "active programs'" rectangles, w/name, in the taskbar. PCLos on the Sony furnishes them.The little rectangles appear (bright) when a program is activated, they dim when another program is activated, they disappear when their program is deactivated.albrtijo Edited by albrtijo

Hi AlbrtijoI think that maybe the 2 things are related ( http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=14931 ) so let us first solve that one and then return here,:thumbsup: Bruno
Bruno and all:Just in case, here is "sound.sh". If I click the sound.sh icon in /home/albrtjo, I get lovely boopety boops.If I go to the console /home//albrtijo/sound.sh the boopety boops are just as delightful.#!/bin/sh# soundchk.sh# Rev 1.00 2003-10-13 Initial Release - Mandrake 9.1 specific# Rev 1.01 2003-10-13 Added Checking Devices# Added grep steps to restrict output. Really needed for Knoppix.# Add file exists tests to find correct tools# Completed port to Knoppix 3.3. Should also be much better for UNKNOWN.# Rev 1.02 2003-10-14 Added test -x for aumix# Fix bug in lspci greps# Rev 1.03 2003-11-24 Add additional tests from alsa aadebug script# Rev 1.04 2003-11-25 Fix typo in 1.03 lspci grep# Add check for artsd# Add check for using cdrom# Rev 1.05 2005-01-22 Adapted to udev and kernel 2.6 by Bruno# Rev 1.06 2005-01-23 Adapted by Bruno to better suit SUSE and Slackware# Rev 1.07 2005-01-23 Added a bit of interactivity at the end --Bruno# Rev 1.08 2005-01-23 Adapted chkconfig to suit SUSE --Brunoechoecho "soundchk.sh v1.08 - Running Sound Configuration Checks"echoecho# time and userdate=$(date)echo "Today is $date"me=$(whoami)echo "Sound tested by $me"echoechoecho "== Identifying System =="uname -s -r -v -p -ocat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i "model name"cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i "cpu mhz"cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i memtotalcat /proc/meminfo | grep -i swaptotalechoecho "== Checking dsp devices =="ls -l /dev | egrep -i dsp\|soundechoecho "== Checking mixer devices =="ls -l /dev | egrep -i dsp\|mixerechoecho "== Checking Knotify =="cat ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc# adapted to suit SUSE and Slackechoecho "== Checking Driver =="if test -f /usr/bin/lspcidrakethen /usr/bin/lspcidrake -v | egrep -i "(audio|multimedia|host bridge)"elif test -f /sbin/lspcithen /sbin/lspci -v | egrep -i "(audio|multimedia|host bridge)"elif test -f /bin/lspcithen /sbin/lspci -v | egrep -i "(audio|multimedia|host bridge)"elif test -f /usr/bin/lspcithen /usr/bin/lspci -v | egrep -i "(audio|multimedia|host bridge)"elseecho "==> Test not available on this system !"fiechoecho "== Checking Actual Driver in Use (/etc/modules.conf) kernel 2.4 =="if test -f /etc/modules.conf; then cat /etc/modules.conf | egrep -i snd\|soundelse echo "==> Test not available on this system !"fi# added for kernel 2.6 by Brunoechoecho "== Checking Actual Driver in Use (/etc/modprobe.conf) kernel 2.6 =="if test -f /etc/modprobe.conf; then cat /etc/modprobe.conf | egrep -i snd\|soundelse echo "==> Test not available on this system !"fiif test -d /dev/snd; then echo echo "== Checking alsa /dev/snd ==" ls --color=none /dev/sndfiechoecho "== Checking if Module Loaded =="/sbin/lsmod | egrep -i snd\|sound\|audio\|gameecho if test -x /sbin/chkconfig; then echo "== Checking in what level Sound service is configured to run ==" /sbin/chkconfig --list sound echo echo "== Checking in what level Alsa service is configured to run ==" /sbin/chkconfig --list alsa echo echo "== Checking in what level AlsaSound is configured to run ( Only SUSE !! ) ==" /sbin/chkconfig --list alsasoundelse echo "==> Test for run levels not available on this system !"fiechoecho "== Checking if Sound Volume muted =="if test -x /usr/bin/aumix; then aumix -qelse echo "==> Test not available on this system !"fiechoecho "== Checking artsd setup =="ps -A -f | grep -i artsd | grep -v grepechoecho "== Checking which program uses the sound card or cdrom =="echo " (no output is okay)"if test -x /sbin/fuser; then /sbin/fuser -v /dev/dsp /sbin/fuser -v /dev/cdromelse /bin/fuser -v /dev/dsp /bin/fuser -v /dev/cdromfi# Extra test added by Brunoechoecho "== Test wav file . . . . . please wait =="# test on SUSEif test -f /opt/kde3/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav then /usr/bin/play /opt/kde3/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav# test on Slackwareelif test -f /opt/kde/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav then /usr/bin/play /opt/kde/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav# test on Mandrake, Fedora and PCloselif test -f /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav then /usr/bin/play /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wavelse echo "==> Test not available on this system !"fi# Interactive partecho -n "Did you hear the soundfile Yes/No ?:"read answer# the user did not enter anything:while [ -z "$answer" ]; doecho "You did not tell me Yes or No !!!"echo -n "Did you hear the soundfile Yes/No ?:"read answerdoneecho "You typed: $answer Thanks !"sleep 2echoecho "== End of Checks ;-)"echo3). Now save the file ( File --> Save ) and close the kwrite window.4). Next another command:CODE$ chmod 755 sound.sh. . . it will look like nothing happens, this is okay.5). And the last command is:CODE$ ./sound.sh[charlie@localhost ~]$ cat sound.sh

Hi AlbrtijoPlease explain to me what you mean with "boopety boops" . . . . . is that the sound you are hearing ? Does that mean there is sound ?Also, what is the output to screen if you run ( execute ) the script ?:thumbsup: Bruno

Hi AlbrtijoPlease explain to me what you mean with "boopety boops" . . . . . is that the sound you are hearing ? Does that mean there is sound ?Also, what is the output to screen if you run ( execute ) the script ?:whistling: Bruno
Bruno, you don't dig boopety doops, you ain't got rhythm, man.Yep, it's sound -- surprising, beautiful sound.Here is sound..sh:Interestingly, this morning typing sound.sh in the terminal got "no such", but typing /home,albrtijo/sound.sh brought up the following:soundchk.sh v1.08 - Running Sound Configuration ChecksToday is Wed Apr 5 08:30:04 PDT 2006Sound tested by charlie== Identifying System ==Linux 2.6.12-18mdk-i586-up-1GB #1 Wed Mar 15 11:35:32 MST 2006 Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz GNU/Linuxmodel name : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHzcpu MHz : 3001.811MemTotal: 507184 kBSwapTotal: 1124508 kB== Checking dsp devices ==crw-rw---- 1 charlie audio 14, 3 Apr 5 08:25 dspdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 140 Apr 5 08:25 sound== Checking mixer devices ==crw-rw---- 1 charlie audio 14, 3 Apr 5 08:25 dspcrw-rw---- 1 charlie audio 14, 0 Apr 5 08:25 mixer== Checking Knotify ==[Misc]LastConfiguredApp=Akregator[startProgress]Arts Init=falseKNotify Init=trueUse Arts=false== Checking Driver ==snd-hda-intel : Intel Corp.|I/O Controller Hub Audio (vendor:8086 device:2668 subv:104d subd:81a0)== Checking Actual Driver in Use (/etc/modules.conf) kernel 2.4 ====> Test not available on this system !== Checking Actual Driver in Use (/etc/modprobe.conf) kernel 2.6 ==alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intelremove snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intelinstall snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-hda-intel && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }== Checking alsa /dev/snd ==controlC0 pcmC0D0c pcmC0D0p seq timer== Checking if Module Loaded ==snd_seq_dummy 2468 0snd_seq_oss 28320 0snd_seq_midi_event 5632 1 snd_seq_osssnd_seq 43696 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_eventsnd_seq_device 6604 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seqsnd_pcm_oss 46464 0snd_mixer_oss 15296 1 snd_pcm_osssnd_hda_intel 12044 0snd_hda_codec 78696 1 snd_hda_intelsnd_pcm 74056 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codecsnd_timer 19236 2 snd_seq,snd_pcmsnd_page_alloc 7848 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcmsnd 43428 9 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timersoundcore 6592 1 snd== Checking in what level Sound service is configured to run ==sound 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off== Checking in what level Alsa service is configured to run ==alsa 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off== Checking in what level AlsaSound is configured to run ( Only SUSE !! ) ==error reading information on service alsasound: No such file or directory== Checking if Sound Volume muted ==vol 75, 75line 77, 77mic 0, 0cd 0, 0pcm2 100, 100igain 100, 100== Checking artsd setup ==== Checking which program uses the sound card or cdrom == (no output is okay)== Test wav file . . . . . please wait ==Did you hear the soundfile Yes/No ?:yYou typed: y Thanks !== End of Checks ;-)/home/charlie/sound.sh: line 189: syntax error near unexpected token `)'/home/charlie/sound.sh: line 189: `3). Now save the file ( File --> Save ) and close the kwrite window.'[charlie@localhost ~]

Bruno, you don't dig boopety doops, you ain't got rhythm, man.Yep, it's sound -- surprising, beautiful sound.
LOL . . . . . well I thought it was sound you were hearing . . . it just seemed to good to be true and I wanted to be sure we were talking the same language :PSo we can close this subject and concentrate on your "other" little bug in the bootloader . . . great !:whistling: Bruno

LOL . . . . . well I thought it was sound you were hearing . . . it just seemed to good to be true and I wanted to be sure we were talking the same language :PSo we can close this subject and concentrate on your "other" little bug in the bootloader . . . great !:whistling: Bruno
Bruno:So there's understanding:The only time I have sound is:1. When I click the "sound.sh" icon in /home/albrtijo/2. When I click "yes" inside sound.shThere is no entry sound.Yesterday I had "radio" on screen and running, but no sound.albrtijo

??Please open XMMS . . . and press Ctrl+L . . . then paste this URL in the box and press OKhttp://64.236.34.97:80/stream/1008Do you hear sound ??:whistling: Bruno
Bruno,Don't have XMMS.Went to MCC and was given 57 files to download plus 3 more specials, but when I tried to select them, I was told, **** no, you cannot install them.Linux's god is the Grim Reaper.albrtijo

Hi AlbrtijoYou have no XMMS installed ? . . . But how would you listen to music without the best mediaplayer there is ??Go in the MCC Software Sources Section and disable all sources except the CDs and Contrib . . . then try again to install XMMS ;):whistling: Bruno

Hi AlbrtijoYou have no XMMS installed ? . . . But how would you listen to music without the best mediaplayer there is ??Go in the MCC Software Sources Section and disable all sources except the CDs and Contrib . . . then try again to install XMMS ;)B) Bruno
Bruno,Without sound, who needs one?On this one I'm living up to my father's estimation of me: "dumb as a fencepost!": I haven't found the MCC Software Sources Section, or CDs and Contrib in any section.albrtijo

If you open the MCC you see on the tab it opens on an Icon with the letters "rpm"and the text: "Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system"Click on that section and tell me what sources you see and which ones have a tick in the box.B) Bruno

If you open the MCC you see on the tab it opens on an Icon with the letters "rpm"and the text: "Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system"Click on that section and tell me what sources you see and which ones have a tick in the box.B) Bruno
MEDIA MANAGEREnabled? Update? MediumX No X Installation Free CD1 (cdrom1)X No X " " CD2 (cdrom2)X No X " " CD3 (cdrom3)X X update_sourceX No X contribI made an exact copy.