Top Posters In This Topic

• albrtijo

• Bruno

• teacher

• striker

And if you now try to do
# urpmi xmms

what does it say ?:thumbsup: Bruno

Plenty![root@localhost charlie]# urpmi xmmsno package named xmmsThe following packages contain xmms:AudioCompress-xmmsadplug-xmmsgdam-xmms-plugingdesklets-cornerxmmsgxmmsgxmms-beep-media-playerlibxmms1php4-xmmspyxmmsruby-xmmsxfce-xmms-pluginxmms-Zonxmms-alarmxmms-aoxmms-cdcoverxmms-cdreadxmms-coverviewerxmms-crossfadexmms-crystalityxmms-cueinfoxmms-eqxmms-fcxmms-findxmms-gdancerxmms-immsxmms-infopipexmms-itouchxmms-jackxmms-kdexmms-libvisualxmms-lircxmms-madxmms-masxmms-modplugxmms-morestatexmms-mp3cuexmms-mplayerxmms-musepackxmms-nasxmms-nbsxmms-normalizexmms-oggrexmms-sc68xmms-scrobblerxmms-sidxmms-sidplayxmms-singitxmms-speexxmms-status-pluginxmms-uadexmms-vtxxmms-weaselxmms-xf86audioxmms-xosdxmmsctrlxmmsdxmmsmplayer[root@localhost charlie]#

Looks to me that xmms is already installed . . . Please press <Alt+F2> and in the run-box type "xmms" . . . . what happens ?:thumbsup: Bruno

Looks to me that xmms is already installed . . . Please press <Alt+F2> and in the run-box type "xmms" . . . . what happens ?:thumbsup: Bruno
xmmsCould not run the specified command.

And what gives
$ rpm -q xmms

??:thumbsup: Bruno

[charlie@localhost ~]$ rpm -q xmmspackage xmms is not installed[charlie@localhost ~]$I'll be ******!

Are you sure this is the regular Mandriva 2006 Final version that was released last September/October ??I mean you do have a very odd install there . . . . usually xmms is always installed by default :thumbsup: . . . . I know you made a bit of a mess with the SOS and Thacs sources activated for a good while in the MCC . . .but that should not have removed the xmms that was ( should have been ) there before.Did you maybe upgrade to KDE 3.5 ??;) Bruno

Are you sure this is the regular Mandriva 2006 Final version that was released last September/October ??I mean you do have a very odd install there . . . . usually xmms is always installed by default :thumbsup: . . . . I know you made a bit of a mess with the SOS and Thacs sources activated for a good while in the MCC . . .but that should not have removed the xmms that was ( should have been ) there before.Did you maybe upgrade to KDE 3.5 ??;) Bruno
Not that I recall. I looked around but don't know how to "uname -r" it.

Try:
$ rpm -q kdebase

:thumbsdown: Bruno

Bruno:[charlie@localhost ~]$ rpm -q kdebasekdebase-3.4.2-55mdk[charlie@localhost ~]$And the Free 2006 CDs are dated 11-25-05albrtijo

This is some serious mysterious install you have . . . here are things that happened I can not explain . . . the "special" boot screen you have . . . and the missing xmms . . . . I'm absolutely puzzled !:thumbsdown: Bruno

This is some serious mysterious install you have . . . here are things that happened I can not explain . . . the "special" boot screen you have . . . and the missing xmms . . . . I'm absolutely puzzled !:thumbsdown: Bruno
Bruno:Should I make another download and start from scratch? I'll need some coaching on how to do it.And since my external HD is on the fritz, I'd have no BU. I could let /home go without formatting, but what if the problem is in /home?There is the question: why do I have the same sound problem with PCLos:one tab "Output" w/ line, mike, CD, pcm2, IGain?Yet with PCLos the active files' rectangles (with name) do appear in the taskbar, but not in Free2006.And would my little pest: "Default/10.1" remain?Ah, me! Maybe I should go back to my old pastime "chasing women", there might still be a couple of really slow ones out there.albrtijo

And since my external HD is on the fritz, I'd have no BU.
Hi Albrtijo . . . could you please translate the RED parts ?? . . . I can't see what you are trying to say :'(Also, can you define exactly at what moment in the boot-process you are getting "Default/10.1" ??Next you talk about booting PCLos . . . . how do you boot it if it is not in the lilo boot menu ??The fact that both have problems with your card is because kernel 2.6.12 has a bug relating to your soundcard.:thumbsdown: Bruno

Psst BrunoOn the firtz - not working like it shouldBU: BackUp???Albritjo--Careful, what would you do if you caught one? Never mind. It's safer to play in Linux. :thumbsdown:

Hi Albrtijo . . . could you please translate the RED parts ?? . . . I can't see what you are trying to say :'(Also, can you define exactly at what moment in the boot-process you are getting "Default/10.1" ??Next you talk about booting PCLos . . . . how do you boot it if it is not in the lilo boot menu ??The fact that both have problems with your card is because kernel 2.6.12 has a bug relating to your soundcard.B) Bruno
Bruno, the computer started hanging up during boot, it seems at various places, while in the new kernel version. Whether it has any connection, I booted in the 2.6.12 kernel in order to send this.Tomorrow I'll tackle it again.Nighty night.albrtijo

I think it may be time for a secret weapon . . . have a look here:ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...devel/iso/i586/( The 2006.1 released 12/26/2005 with the stable xorg :whistling: )B) Bruno
Bruno, just in time, I had a helluva job trying to start free2006 this time. The startup screen was full of mumble-jumble and startup would lock up on several different lines I won't bother to list.Well that makes my following info ready for the wastebasket but I'll show it anyway:There is under /etc/netprofilethe "Profiles" (folder), and a file "current" containing Profile="DEFAULT" and a file "list" containing:/etc/hosts/etc/isdn/isdn1B.conf/etc/isdn/isdn2B.conf/etc/localtime/etc/ntp.conf/etc/ntp/step-tickers/etc/ppp/ioptions1B/etc/ppp/ioptions2B/etc/ppp/chap-secrets/etc/ppp/pap-secrets/etc/ppp/peers/adsl/etc/ppp/peers/ppp0/etc/profile.d/proxy.sh/etc/profile.d/proxy.csh/etc/resolv.conf/etc/sysconfig/network/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-*[0-9]/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*[0-9]/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_cnx_down/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_cnx_pg_up/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_cnx_up/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_down/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_iop1B/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_iop2B/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_isdn1B/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_isdn2B/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_prog/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_resolv/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_speedtouch/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/net_up/etc/yp.conf/etc/netprofile/profiles /10.1 /files /etc /sysconfig /network-script ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1, ifcfg-sit0ifcfg-eth0: DEVICE=eth0BOOTPROTO=dhcpNETMASK=255.255.255.0ONBOOT=yesMETRIC=10MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=noUSERCTL=noIPV6INIT=noIPV6TO4INIT=noPEERDNS=yesNETMASK=255.255.255.0DHCP_CLIENT=dhclientNEEDHOSTNAME=yesPEERDNS=yesPEERYP=noPEERNTPD=noifcfg-eth1:DEVICE=eth1BOOTPROTO=dhcpONBOOT=yesifcfg-sit0:DEVICE=sit0BOOTPROTO=dhcpONBOOT=yes/etc/netprofile/profiles /default /files /etc /profile.d /sysconfig /network-scriptsv /servicesservices has 34 empty files from acpi to xinetdWell I'm off to see the wizard at nuulg.albrtijo Edited by albrtijo

Yep . . just get the new ISOs and remind me to tell you to upgrade the kernel after the install so your soundcard gets a fair chance to work :whistling: . . . And I will have to explain to you how to deal with additional software sources without risking to mess up the install ;)B) Bruno

Yep . . just get the new ISOs and remind me to tell you to upgrade the kernel after the install so your soundcard gets a fair chance to work :whistling: . . . And I will have to explain to you how to deal with additional software sources without risking to mess up the install ;)B) Bruno
Brace yourself. Installed free 2006.1.0.3. No sound, no active file's rectangle in taskbar, and no Windows XP. The Windows (Fatal System Error) is too long for tonight. Be back on the morrow.albrtijo

No sound, no active file's rectangle in taskbar,
Hi albrtijo . . . . . means you will have to format the /home partition too when installing ! ( or delete the /home/albrtijo/.kde folder when logged in as root and reboot ) And upgrade the kernel soon after the install.:whistling: Bruno

Hi albrtijo . . . . . means you will have to format the /home partition too when installing ! ( or delete the /home/albrtijo/.kde folder when logged in as root and reboot ) And upgrade the kernel soon after the install.:'( Bruno
Reinstalled -- formatted all three partitions -- now I can't get their backup to restore my /homeHaving difficulty installing all of alsa -- got a couple but with most of then, when I click on them, the hour glass twirls no end.In one case:xmms-alsa-1.2.10-20mdk "can't be selected."kernel 2.6.12.13mdk no .18 available.I'll be back and pluggin' away, but I'm off to a great-grandson's 13th birthday. It's the D*** kids that are making me old.albrtijoIn case you didn't know, Bruno, albrtijo is the first two letters of his and his 3 brothers' names. He's #2.Oh, the little rectangles showed up, but no sound -- yet!

now I can't get their backup to restore my /home
Better be careful with restoring the backup . . because in the backup is the corrupt file that gave you "the little rectangles" problem.Kernel 2.6.12-13 should be okay to have sound . . but if you get the updates you will have 2.6.12-18 available too.xmms-alsa is only available in "contrib" . . . but only add "contrib" just to install that one file and then disable the source again to avoid confilcts.:'( Bruno

Better be careful with restoring the backup . . because in the backup is the corrupt file that gave you "the little rectangles" problem.Kernel 2.6.12-13 should be okay to have sound . . but if you get the updates you will have 2.6.12-18 available too.xmms-alsa is only available in "contrib" . . . but only add "contrib" just to install that one file and then disable the source again to avoid confilcts.:'( Bruno
I only backed up "user", not "system".It tells me there are no updates. I went to MCC, "look at available updates", "Security", "Bugfixes"' and "Normal" all posted "none available".That seems odd after my previous experiences with upgrading.Is xmms-alsa necessary?albrtijo

Hi AlbrtijoPlease hold back on restoring backups until we know your install is 100%Can you show us

# cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

xmms-alsa would be nice though . . . . but that is only a detail compared to the other stuff we are facing ;):'( Bruno

Hi AlbrtijoPlease hold back on restoring backups until we know your install is 100%Can you show us
# cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

xmms-alsa would be nice though . . . . but that is only a detail compared to the other stuff we are facing ;):thumbsup: Bruno

'mornin' Bruno,[root@localhost charlie]# cat /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfgInstallation\ CD1\ (cdrom1) removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD1 (cdrom1).cz key-ids: 26752624 removable: /dev/hda static with_hdlist: ../../media/media_info/hdlist1.cz}Installation\ CD2\ (cdrom2) removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main2 { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD2 (cdrom2).cz key-ids: 26752624 removable: /dev/hda static with_hdlist: ../../media/media_info/hdlist2.cz}Installation\ CD3\ (cdrom3) removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main3 { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD3 (cdrom3).cz key-ids: 26752624 removable: /dev/hda static with_hdlist: ../../media/media_info/hdlist3.cz}update_source ftp://ftp.mandrake.ikoula.com/Mandrakelin...i586/media/main { hdlist: hdlist.update_source.cz key-ids: 26752624 synthesis update with_hdlist: media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz}[root@localhost charlie]#

update_source ftp://ftp.mandrake.ikoula.com/Mandrakelin...i586/media/main { hdlist: hdlist.update_source.cz key-ids: 26752624 synthesis update with_hdlist: media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz}
Please change the RED part to
ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates

Then try to get the updates again ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Please change the RED part to
ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates

Then try to get the updates again ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Bruno:This is a summary of what I got:"List updates empty" "none available" or "already installed"**********This where I looked: SOFTWARE PACKAGES UPDATEX Security updatesX Bugfixes updatesX Normal updatesI'd express myself but the Bruno system wopuld just X me out.albrtijo***************This is my new urpmi.cfg:Installation\ CD1\ (cdrom1) removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD1 (cdrom1).cz key-ids: 26752624 removable: /dev/hda static with_hdlist: ../../media/media_info/hdlist1.cz}Installation\ CD2\ (cdrom2) removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main2 { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD2 (cdrom2).cz key-ids: 26752624 removable: /dev/hda static with_hdlist: ../../media/media_info/hdlist2.cz}Installation\ CD3\ (cdrom3) removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main3 { hdlist: hdlist.Installation CD3 (cdrom3).cz key-ids: 26752624 removable: /dev/hda static with_hdlist: ../../media/media_info/hdlist3.cz}update_source ftp://ftp.surfnet.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/M....0/main_updates { hdlist: hdlist.update_source.cz key-ids: 26752624 synthesis update with_hdlist: media_info/synthesis.hdlist.cz}

Well it is very well possible that the packages you have are of a higher version number then the "normal" 2006 . . . . let's have a look:

$ rpm -q kdebase

Also, when you query for updates does it get the new list from the server ?:icon8: Bruno

Well it is very well possible that the packages you have are of a higher version number then the "normal" 2006 . . . . let's have a look:
$ rpm -q kdebase

Also, when you query for updates does it get the new list from the server ?:icon8: Bruno

In MCC:when I clicked "Look at available updates, etc."I got:Software Media ManagerX Security updatesX Bugfixes updatesX Normal updates (none)and a small separate window with:The list of updates is empty. This meeans that either thereis no available update for the packages installed on yourcomputer, or you already installed them.*************************************When I clicked "Select from where, etc."I got the following:Media ManagerEnabled? Updates? Medium X X CD1 X X CD2 X X CD3 X X update_sourceWhen I clicked update (righthand list)I got a vertical window with:Unable to updatemedium; itwill beautomaticallydisabled.Errors:nothingwritten inlist file for"update_source OK************************[charlie@localhost ~]$ rpm -q databasepackage database is not installed[charlie@localhost ~]$

Hi albrtijoYou typed "rpm -q database" . . . sorry, but I was looking for "rpm -q kdebase" :) . . .LOLAlso:

Media ManagerEnabled? Updates? Medium X X CD1 X X CD2 X X CD3 X X update_source
Should look like
Enabled? Updates? Medium X .. CD1 X .. CD2 X .. CD3 X X update_source
I assume the update_source is not disabled . . . . is it ?? If so we will have to remove the source and add it in the terminal . . . so let me know the score ;)B) Bruno