No sound in free2006 reinstall

albrtijo

This is crazy . . you should not need any of those 6 packages it suggests just to install Kmix . . . . I will have a look again tomorrow !B) Bruno

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• albrtijo

• Bruno

• teacher

• striker

This is all to weird to be true . . . . . why would you need graphic packages to get the soundmixer to install ?Can you show us

$ rpm -q  kdemultimedia-kmix

And what software sources are "active" in the MCC ?B) Bruno

This is all to weird to be true . . . . . why would you need graphic packages to get the soundmixer to install ?Can you show us
 $ rpm -q  kdemultimedia-kmix

And what software sources are "active" in the MCC ?:thumbsup: Bruno

[charlie@localhost ~]$ rpm -q kdemultimedia-kmixkdemultimedia-kmix-3.4.2-10mdk[charlie@localhost ~]$This is a shot in the dark. Your "software sources" is Greek to me.Installation Free CD1 (cdrom1) " " CD2 (cdrom2) " " CD3 (cdrom3)update sourcecontribmainplf-freeplf-nonfreejpackageNL-Clubthac-rpmsSeerOfSouls

Yep that explains it . . . you do have kdemultimedia-kmix installed:

[charlie@localhost ~]$ rpm -q kdemultimedia-kmixkdemultimedia-kmix-3.4.2-10mdk
And when you want to install another kdemultimedia-kmix it takes the one from Thacs or PLF that has a higher version number and thus it will have to upgrade a whole lot of other packages ( probably to upgrade to KDE 3.5 that is in Thacs )Now I would go in the MCC -> RPM sources . . and take the ticks out of the boxes at:plf-freeplf-nonfreejpackageNL-Clubthac-rpmsSeerOfSouls They sound not always be active . . . only if you need special packages from them . . . . . And next I would first have a look at the kernel and have the one without "smp" installed. ( if you look in "Updates" you will see there even is a 2.6.12-14mdk :thumbsup: ):icon8: Bruno

Yep that explains it . . . you do have kdemultimedia-kmix installed: And when you want to install another kdemultimedia-kmix it takes the one from Thacs or PLF that has a higher version number and thus it will have to upgrade a whole lot of other packages ( probably to upgrade to KDE 3.5 that is in Thacs )Now I would go in the MCC -> RPM sources . . and take the ticks out of the boxes at:plf-freeplf-nonfreejpackageNL-Clubthac-rpmsSeerOfSouls They sound not always be active . . . only if you need special packages from them . . . . . And next I would first have a look at the kernel and have the one without "smp" installed. ( if you look in "Updates" you will see there even is a 2.6.12-14mdk B) ):) Bruno
I removed the ticksuname -r kernel 2.6.12-12mdkI can't find 2.6.12-14mdkWhen I go to MCC > upgrade I get "no new upgrades available."When I go to MCC > install > kmix, I get none.When I go to MCC > uninstall > kmix, I get:kdemultimedia-kmix-3.4.2-10mdkkdemultimedia1-kmix-3.4.2-10mdkNo kmix,but /usr/bin/ has a 2.8KB Executable kmixWhen I click the Xed-out speaker icon in the systray, I get:a small window labelled KMix which showsCurrent mixer: "nothing is listed"When I try:[root@localhost charlie]# /usr/bin/kmixkbuildsycoca running...Reusing existing ksycocakbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Sound/amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-sid'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Publishing/Xpdf.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/pdf'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Publishing/Xpdf.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-pdf'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Publishing/Xpdf.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-pdf'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/dv'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-nsv'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-m4a'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-asf'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-asx'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-wax'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-flac'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'misc/ultravox'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Totem Movie Player.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-matroska'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/kuickshow.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-eim'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Xine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Xine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Xine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/Xine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-matroska'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Presentations/OpenOffice.org Impress.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.stardivision.impress.template'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Presentations/OpenOffice.org Impress.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.ms-powerpoint'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Video/kaffeine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-mplayer2'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KMediaPart'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/msvideo'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kaffeine_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-mplayer2'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/bmp'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/fits'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pcx'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pix'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Multimedia/Graphics/The GIMP v2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/pnm'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Spreadsheets/OpenOffice.org Calc.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.stardivision.calc.template'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kmilo/kmilo_thinkpad.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KMilo Plugin'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/System/Archiving/CDBurning/Nautilus CD Burning.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-cd-image'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KMediaPart'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-mpeg'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ogg'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gstreamer_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Drawing/OpenOffice.org Draw.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.stardivision.draw.template'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Internet/WebBrowsers/Mozilla Firefox.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/mml'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Wordprocessors/OpenOffice.org Writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.stardivision.writer.template'kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/var/lib/menu-xdg/applications/Mandrakelinux/Office/Wordprocessors/OpenOffice.org Writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-doc'KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/7[root@localhost charlie]#Don't understand much but the WARNING.albrtijo .

When I go to MCC > uninstall > kmix, I get:kdemultimedia-kmix-3.4.2-10mdkkdemultimedia1-kmix-3.4.2-10mdkNo kmix,
??? . . . . . . kdemultimedia-kmix = kmix :DFor the kernel . . . . go to the MCC --> Install software and tick the box "All Packages by Medium Repository" then see the section "Update_source" and scroll down the list to find the kernels ( yep they are hidden for the average user, but they are there B) )Next open your /etc/modprobe.conf in an editor and add the line:
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
Next reboot and . . . . I hope . . . . I hope you will have sound :'(:) Bruno

??? . . . . . . kdemultimedia-kmix = kmix :DFor the kernel . . . . go to the MCC --> Install software and tick the box "All Packages by Medium Repository" then see the section "Update_source" and scroll down the list to find the kernels ( yep they are hidden for the average user, but they are there :) )Next open your /etc/modprobe.conf in an editor and add the line: Next reboot and . . . . I hope . . . . I hope you will have sound :'(:thumbsup: Bruno
Bruno,arlie@localhost ~]$ su cat /tec/modprobe.confsu: user cat does not exist[charlie@localhost ~]$ su[root@localhost charlie]# cat /etc/modprobe.confalias eth0 e100install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ata_piix;/sbin/modprobe ahci;/bin/trueinstall usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd;/sbin/modprobe ehci-hcd;/bin/truealias eth1 eth1394alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel[root@localhost charlie]#After following your latest directions, still no sound.When I run uname -r, I get 2.6.12-12mdk (no change), but when I go to the startup OS-selection window and go down to and click on 2.6.12-17mdk-up-4GB, uname -r gives me the "17" kernel instead of the "12".There is also a "17" with 1GB and several others beside the originals.Now when I right click the speaker icon in systray, I get a small window with (top to bottom) a "headphones" icon, a green light, and a "Mixer" button. Clicking that button brings up the "mixer" with "Output", "Input" and "Switches". Hooray at last, an "Input".But in the "Input" window instead the usual "Stereo/Mono" pair of slide-switches, there are two slide-switches, each labelled Capture, with red lights, unlit, below and partially reddened triangles above.Nothing in "KMix-help" mentions these.Bruno, I'm about to give this up. I'm ashamed of costing you so much time and it's not easy to ask for more from you if I go on with free2006 on the Sony desktop.Your help is a blessing.albrtijo

but when I go to the startup OS-selection window and go down to and click on 2.6.12-17mdk-up-4GB, uname -r gives me the "17" kernel instead of the "12".There is also a "17" with 1GB and several others beside the originals.
Well at least the 2.6.12-17mdk-up-4GB is better then the smp you booted up to now . . . . . even better would be the 2.6.12-17mdk-up-1GB but for the sound it would make no difference.
Now when I right click the speaker icon in systray, I get a small window with (top to bottom) a "headphones" icon, a green light, and a "Mixer" button. Clicking that button brings up the "mixer" with "Output", "Input" and "Switches". Hooray at last, an "Input".But in the "Input" window instead the usual "Stereo/Mono" pair of slide-switches, there are two slide-switches, each labelled Capture, with red lights, unlit, below and partially reddened triangles above.
But we have Kmix . . . . . and more options in it then before don't we ??? . . . . . Did you try ALL the sliders in the output section ?? ( sometimes they switch the "headphone-slider with the vol-slider :) )See . . . . . what I fear is that by having all your sources active ( see post #36 ) you did get a few packages installed that are incompatible with the soundscripts 2006 has by default . . . ( just a guess )My advice with the additional sources is to not keep all the additional ones active all the time:
NOTE 2: So again the warning: Mainly I only have the CD and Contrib source active all the time . . and only make all others active if I can not find the package I look for in those two ( CD and Contrib ) . . . . also you will get just too many different versions of the same package if you use all the sources at the same time, and sticking to the native Mandrake ones is recommended !
( Yep I know I forgot to add the warning at the 2006 sources . . . sorry :thumbsup: )So my question is: Immediately after the fresh install of Mandriva 2006, did you have sound back then ??:thumbsup: Bruno

Well at least the 2.6.12-17mdk-up-4GB is better then the smp you booted up to now . . . . . even better would be the 2.6.12-17mdk-up-1GB but for the sound it would make no difference.But we have Kmix . . . . . and more options in it then before don't we ??? . . . . . Did you try ALL the sliders in the output section ?? ( sometimes they switch the "headphone-slider with the vol-slider :) )See . . . . . what I fear is that by having all your sources active ( see post #36 ) you did get a few packages installed that are incompatible with the soundscripts 2006 has by default . . . ( just a guess )My advice with the additional sources is to not keep all the additional ones active all the time: ( Yep I know I forgot to add the warning at the 2006 sources . . . sorry :thumbsup: )So my question is: Immediately after the fresh install of Mandriva 2006, did you have sound back then ??:thumbsup: Bruno
Nope, neither first nor second install did I have sound to start. But eventually you helped me get sound on the first install.albrtijo

Nope, neither first nor second install did I have sound to start. But eventually you helped me get sound on the first install.albrtijo
Hi Albrtijo . . . . . That leaves us with only one more option: dig out ALL your old threads since the release of 2006 in September 2005 . . . . :'(Here they are: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...ult_type=topicsB) BrunoUPDATE: Is this the one ?? http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...topic=13898&hl= and this one: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...topic=13951&hl= and http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...topic=13974&hl= ( I think the last one has the "real" solution :clap2: )

Hi Albrtijo . . . . . That leaves us with only one more option: dig out ALL your old threads since the release of 2006 in September 2005 . . . . :'(Here they are: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...ult_type=topics:hmm: BrunoUPDATE: Is this the one ?? http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...topic=13898&hl= and this one: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...topic=13951&hl= and http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...topic=13974&hl= ( I think the last one has the "real" solution :hmm: )
Bruno:Thank my lucky stars I'm 9-10 hours from 'dam. I just tried PCLos on my Sony desktop and got only Output on screen. I tried it on my Toshiba laptop and got both Input/Output.But we somehow got sound to work on my first installment of free2006 on the Sony. I'll keep searching those old exchanges you set up for me. One thing I want to make sure you understand: I returned that replacement sound card and sound worked with my present setup.Also we've had Kmix's Input/Output onscreen this time too.Peace, Bruno, pleeeez!This is weird. Here's one of the lists that popped up as necessary when, a few days ago, I was trying to install something relating to sound. But when I searched for akode today, it was "not available".(akode was Sylvias suggestion that you quoted)To satisfy dependencies, the following package(s) also needto be installed:akode-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, akode-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde,akode-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, akode-alsa-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde,akode-alsa-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, akode-alsa-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde,akode-xiph-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, akode-xiph-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde,akode-xiph-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, amarok-1.4-0.beta1_rc1.4.mdk2006.0.mde,amarok-engine-arts-1.4-0.beta1_rc1.4.mdk2006.0.mde,amarok-engine-gstreamer-1.4-0.beta1_rc1.4.mdk2006.0.mde,arts-1.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, arts-1.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde,dkms-drm-2.0-39.mdk2006.0.mde, kdeartwork-3.5.1-5.mdk2006.0.mde,kdeartwork-3.5.1-5.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdebase-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-kate-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdebase-kdeprintfax-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-kdm-config-file-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdebase-konsole-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-nsplugins-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdebase-progs-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-progs-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kde-icons-crystalxp-20060207-2.mdk2006.0.mde, kde-icons-crystalxp-20060207-2.mdk2006.0.mde,kdelibs-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdelibs-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde,kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, kdemultimedia-kaudiocreator-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde,kdemultimedia-kmix-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, kdemultimedia-kmix-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde,kdemultimedia-kmix-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, kdenetwork-3.5.1-8.mdk2006.0.mde,kdenetwork-kopete-3.5.1-8.mdk2006.0.mde, kdenetwork-lisa-3.5.1-8.mdk2006.0.mde,...NOTE: this is not albrtijo's interjection:There was a problem during the installation:libakode >= 2.0-2.mdk2006.0.mde is needed by libkdemultimedia1-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde.i586libakode.so.2 is needed by libkdemultimedia1-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde.i586akode >= 2.0-2.mdk2006.0.mde is needed by kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde.i586akode-alsa >= 2.0-2.mdk2006.0.mde is needed by kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde.i586akode-xiph >= 2.0-2.mdk2006.0.mde is needed by kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde.i586unable to install package http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/t....0.mde.i586.rpmunable to install package http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/t....0.mde.i586.rpmunable to install package http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/t....0.mde.i586.rpmunable to install package http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/t....0.mde.i586.rpm**********************************************Also when I start the computer, in the list of choices (linux, windows, etc.) there are 4 or more relating to kernels. I have to choose "17" or "12" is used.The following resulted eventually from your suggestion to run ls -al /boot (see bottom of this page)File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="linux"boot=/dev/sdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltmenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messageimage=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent" vga=788image=/boot/vmlinuz label="linux-nonfb" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="resume=/dev/sda6"image=/boot/vmlinuz label="failsafe" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe resume=/dev/sda6"other=/dev/sda2 label="windows" table=/dev/sdaimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdksmp label="2612-12smp" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.12-12mdksmp.img append="resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent" vga=788image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdk label="2612-12" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.12-12mdk.img append="resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent" vga=788image=/boot/vmlinuz-i586-up-1GB label="linux-i586-up-1GB" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-i586-up-1GB.img append="resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent" vga=788image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB label="2612i586up1GB-17" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB.img append="resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent" vga=788image=/boot/vmlinuz-i686-up-4GB label="linux-i686-up-4GB" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-i686-up-4GB.img append="resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent" vga=788image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GB label="2612i686up4G-17" root=/dev/sda5 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GB.img append="resume=/dev/sda6 splash=silent" vga=788[charlie@localhost ~]$ ls -al /boottotal 11108drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 24 18:34 ./drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Mar 24 18:34 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Mar 7 10:35 boot.0800lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Mar 24 18:34 config -> config-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71299 Sep 9 2005 config-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 70651 Sep 9 2005 config-2.6.12-12mdksmp-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71262 Feb 13 11:54 config-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 71364 Feb 13 12:27 config-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GBdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 7 09:20 grub/-rw------- 1 root root 302322 Mar 21 10:05 initrd-2.6.12-12mdk.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 284122 Mar 7 10:34 initrd-2.6.12-12mdksmp.img-rw------- 1 root root 294130 Mar 23 09:02 initrd-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB.img-rw------- 1 root root 302322 Mar 23 09:35 initrd-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GB.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Mar 23 09:02 initrd-i586-up-1GB.img -> initrd-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Mar 23 09:35 initrd-i686-up-4GB.img -> initrd-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GB.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Mar 21 10:05 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.12-12mdk.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39 Mar 24 18:34 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 695 Mar 21 10:09 kernel.h-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 695 Mar 7 18:39 kernel.h-2.6.12-12mdksmp-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 695 Mar 23 09:51 kernel.h-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 695 Mar 23 12:45 kernel.h-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GB-rw------- 1 root root 457216 Mar 23 09:35 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Mar 7 10:35 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 254766 Mar 23 09:35 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Mar 7 10:35 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Mar 24 18:34 System.map -> System.map-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 639316 Sep 9 2005 System.map-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 647919 Sep 9 2005 System.map-2.6.12-12mdksmp-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 637975 Feb 13 11:54 System.map-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 639398 Feb 13 12:27 System.map-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Mar 7 10:35 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Mar 21 10:05 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1608520 Sep 9 2005 vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdk-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1693626 Sep 9 2005 vmlinuz-2.6.12-12mdksmp-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1565990 Feb 13 11:54 vmlinuz-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GB-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1608025 Feb 13 12:27 vmlinuz-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GBlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Mar 23 09:02 vmlinuz-i586-up-1GB -> vmlinuz-2.6.12-17mdk-i586-up-1GBlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Mar 23 09:35 vmlinuz-i686-up-4GB -> vmlinuz-2.6.12-17mdk-i686-up-4GB[charlie@localhost ~]$ Edited by albrtijo

From what I read in the other threads is that the root of the problem is that your snd-hda-intel soundcard is not supported in the 2.6.12-12 kernel ( they forgot to put it in ).So even with a clean install the only way to get sound is upgrading the kernel. ( see http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...topic=13974&hl= )But in our journey to get sound out of your system . . . . and the Thac sources active . . . . you did get a few .mde packages that are not compatible with the .mdk ones. From the error messages you get I see it is asking for the .mde packages, not the .mdk ones, see:

To satisfy dependencies, the following package(s) also needto be installed:akode-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, akode-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde,akode-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, akode-alsa-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde,akode-alsa-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, akode-alsa-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde,akode-xiph-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, akode-xiph-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde,akode-xiph-2.0-4.mdk2006.0.mde, amarok-1.4-0.beta1_rc1.4.mdk2006.0.mde,amarok-engine-arts-1.4-0.beta1_rc1.4.mdk2006.0.mde,amarok-engine-gstreamer-1.4-0.beta1_rc1.4.mdk2006.0.mde,arts-1.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, arts-1.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde,dkms-drm-2.0-39.mdk2006.0.mde, kdeartwork-3.5.1-5.mdk2006.0.mde,kdeartwork-3.5.1-5.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdebase-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-kate-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdebase-kdeprintfax-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-kdm-config-file-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdebase-konsole-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-nsplugins-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdebase-progs-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdebase-progs-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kde-icons-crystalxp-20060207-2.mdk2006.0.mde, kde-icons-crystalxp-20060207-2.mdk2006.0.mde,kdelibs-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde, kdelibs-3.5.1-16.mdk2006.0.mde,kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde,kdemultimedia-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, kdemultimedia-kaudiocreator-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde,kdemultimedia-kmix-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, kdemultimedia-kmix-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde,kdemultimedia-kmix-3.5.1-9.mdk2006.0.mde, kdenetwork-3.5.1-8.mdk2006.0.mde,kdenetwork-kopete-3.5.1-8.mdk2006.0.mde, kdenetwork-lisa-3.5.1-8.mdk2006.0.mde,
. . . . so if you really want to go through with it you will need to re-activate the "Thac" ones in the MCC . . . . because those are the ones it is looking for.The problem is that you will have to upgrade a few 100 MB packages ( KDE 3.5 ) to have all the dependencies resolved . . . and that it is not even sure the sound will work when finished ( but you can try though . . . . if it really fails we will have to do a re-install anyway )Back to the kernel issue: booting the 2.6.12-12 is useless . . . I would choose the "2612i586up1GB-17" from then Lilo menu.Next I would see what upgrading to KDE 3.5 brings you . . . ( going back to 3.4 is no option beccause you already have some 3.5 ones ) . . . maybe reading this thread would help you: KDE 3.5 rc1 in Mandriva 2006 ? -- Warning: dangerous ! --:hmm: Burno

From what I read in the other threads is that the root of the problem is that your snd-hda-intel soundcard is not supported in the 2.6.12-12 kernel ( they forgot to put it in ).So even with a clean install the only way to get sound is upgrading the kernel. ( see http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...topic=13974&hl= )But in our journey to get sound out of your system . . . . and the Thac sources active . . . . you did get a few .mde packages that are not compatible with the .mdk ones. From the error messages you get I see it is asking for the .mde packages, not the .mdk ones, see:. . . . so if you really want to go through with it you will need to re-activate the "Thac" ones in the MCC . . . . because those are the ones it is looking for.The problem is that you will have to upgrade a few 100 MB packages ( KDE 3.5 ) to have all the dependencies resolved . . . and that it is not even sure the sound will work when finished ( but you can try though . . . . if it really fails we will have to do a re-install anyway )Back to the kernel issue: booting the 2.6.12-12 is useless . . . I would choose the "2612i586up1GB-17" from then Lilo menu.Next I would see what upgrading to KDE 3.5 brings you . . . ( going back to 3.4 is no option beccause you already have some 3.5 ones ) . . . maybe reading this thread would help you: KDE 3.5 rc1 in Mandriva 2006 ? -- Warning: dangerous ! --:D Burno
I'm thinking. Meanwhile:Can't add charlie to both wheel and audio.xxxxxxxx ]# usermod -G audio charlieroot:x:0:bin:x:1:daemon:x:2:messagebussys:x:3:adm:x:4:tty:x:5:disk:x:6:lp:x:7:mem:x:8:kmem:x:9:wheel:x:10:mail:x:12:news:x:13:uucp:x:14:man:x:15:floppy:x:19:games:x:20:tape:x:21:cdrom:x:22:utmp:x:24:usb:x:43:cdwriter:x:80:audio:x:81:charlievideo:x:82:users:x:100:nogroup:x:65534:rpm:x:101:xgrp:x:102:xfs,gdmntools:x:103:ctools:x:104:vcsa:x:69:xfs:x:70:messagebus:x:71:haldaemon:x:72:clamav:x:73:gdm:x:74:slocate:x:105:charlie:x:500:htdig:x:106:[root@localhost charlie]# usermod -G wheelusermod: user wheel does not exist[root@localhost charlie]# usermod -G wheel charlie[root@localhost charlie]# cat /etc/grouproot:x:0:bin:x:1:daemon:x:2:messagebussys:x:3:adm:x:4:tty:x:5:disk:x:6:lp:x:7:mem:x:8:kmem:x:9:wheel:x:10:charliemail:x:12:news:x:13:uucp:x:14:man:x:15:floppy:x:19:games:x:20:tape:x:21:cdrom:x:22:utmp:x:24:usb:x:43:cdwriter:x:80:audio:x:81:video:x:82:users:x:100:nogroup:x:65534:rpm:x:101:xgrp:x:102:xfs,gdmntools:x:103:ctools:x:104:vcsa:x:69:xfs:x:70:messagebus:x:71:haldaemon:x:72:clamav:x:73:gdm:x:74:slocate:x:105:charlie:x:500:htdig:x:106:[root@localhost charlie]# usermod -G audio charlie[root@localhost charlie]# cat /etc/grouproot:x:0:bin:x:1:daemon:x:2:messagebussys:x:3:adm:x:4:tty:x:5:disk:x:6:lp:x:7:mem:x:8:kmem:x:9:wheel:x:10:mail:x:12:news:x:13:uucp:x:14:man:x:15:floppy:x:19:games:x:20:tape:x:21:cdrom:x:22:utmp:x:24:usb:x:43:cdwriter:x:80:audio:x:81:charlievideo:x:82:users:x:100:nogroup:x:65534:rpm:x:101:xgrp:x:102:xfs,gdmntools:x:103:ctools:x:104:vcsa:x:69:xfs:x:70:messagebus:x:71:haldaemon:x:72:clamav:x:73:gdm:x:74:slocate:x:105:charlie:x:500:htdig:x:106:[root@localhost charlie]# usermod --helpUsage: usermod [-u uid [-o]] [-g group] [[-G group,...] [-a]] [-d home [-m]] [-s shell] [-c comment] [-l new_name] [-f inactive] [-e expire] [-p passwd] [-L|-U] name[root@localhost charlie]# Also I've noticed that when the beginning "loading" and ending "unloading" lists pass alsa, there's a plunk in the speakers. Also the 3 tab kmix window is back, but with "Control" instead of "Volume" slides.albrtijo

Just edit the /etc/group file by hand with an editor . . . see: The Groups Command;)B) Bruno
Bruno:file:///home/charlie/sound.shI was looking for something when I spotted the above. For the **** of it I clicked and got the loudest, clearest boopety boop, boopety boop, boopety, boop, bu, bu, bu, bu, buProperties: Shell Script, 4.7 KB, Modified: 03/15file:///home/charlie/sound.sh/06, Accessed 03/28/06But when I restarted the computer, the entry music was not there.albrtijo Edited by albrtijo

Hi albrtijoLOL . . . . So you have sound . . . but not "the entry music" at boot, is that correct ??( Post is nopt 100% clear to me :hysterical: )Well, that is progress !! :DB) Bruno

Charlie, when I didn't have sound in Mepis, I discovered that something had changed the default sound setting.1. Open KDE CC -> Sound and Multimedia -> System Notificationin Event Source the KDE System notification should be selected (I had something that started with an a but it wasn't aRts not alsa). I don't know what changed it but once I selected KDE sytem notification, I had startup sound.

Is it by chance a HT (Hyper Threading) P4, that might explain the smp kernel.
Yes, Barry, it's hyperthreading, I'm sorry I didn't reply, but I was in such a mess and still am. I've tried another install of free2006 and if anything the mess has grown. Thanks for your interest.albrtijo

Charlie, when I didn't have sound in Mepis, I discovered that something had changed the default sound setting.1. Open KDE CC -> Sound and Multimedia -> System Notificationin Event Source the KDE System notification should be selected (I had something that started with an a but it wasn't aRts not alsa). I don't know what changed it but once I selected KDE sytem notification, I had startup sound.
Liz, what is KDE CC? I've searched through the menu, but I didn't get to System Notification.Oops, I just noticed "Mepis". Do you have an idea of a similarity in MDV free2006?albrtijo Edited by albrtijo

Pssst. Its the KDE Control Center. It has all those desktop settings and such. It should be under configuration or something like that. :)

Pssst. Its the KDE Control Center. It has all those desktop settings and such. It should be under configuration or something like that. :)
Teach, the closest I can come is sound under Services and sound is on.albrtijo

Not your Mandrake Control Center.....Sorry I don't have 2006 here to check to see what it is called. It is KDE Control Center under Configuration in PCLos. Every distro that uses KDE has the KDE Control Center. It is just a mater of locating it.

Hi AlbrtijoCan you show us

$ cat ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc

That is the place responsible for the systemsounds.:) Bruno

Teach, the closest I can come is sound under Services and sound is on.albrtijo
KDE Control Center, Sound & Multimedia, System Notifications

Hey CharlieYou might want to tryOpen Kmix and under the switches tab, try turning off the external amplifier switch..this has worked a few times for me(depending on distro and equipment

Sorry Charlie, I'm guilty of not being specific enough. Since I knew you were using KDE rather than gnome, I thought it was safe to assume that the sections and tabs were the same but it may also depend on the version of KDE included with Mandriva free. Bruno is very good at getting directly to the place to look (hmmm, point and click lots of times vs command line - his method is also tons more efficient).

Hi AlbrtijoCan you show us
$ cat ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc

That is the place responsible for the systemsounds.:w00t: Bruno

Here 'tis, Bruno:[charlie@localhost ~]$ cat ~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc[Misc]LastConfiguredApp=Akregator[startProgress]Arts Init=falseKNotify Init=trueUse Arts=false[charlie@localhost ~]$
Hey CharlieYou might want to tryOpen Kmix and under the switches tab, try turning off the external amplifier switch..this has worked a few times for me(depending on distro and equipment
Barry, you've returned me to part of my problem. I only have KMix > Output (one tab) -- no Input -- no Switches.albrtijo
KDE Control Center, Sound & Multimedia, System Notifications
bunrninbush, there is no Sound & Multimedia in either of my Configure Your Desktop or Configure Your Computer.albrtijo