muckshifter went Windows free ...

muckshifter

MucksPCLos is solid advice ! . . . It has the polish and good looks of SUSE . . . but GUI config tools that are a lot easier to manage. PCLos is by far the best distro for people new to Linux ( even for people that never came near to a computer at all ) No commandline needed.Mepis is fine too but is less goodlooking and lacks the easy GUI config tools.:thumbsup: Bruno
Hello Bruno,Well, we'll give it a go then, had a quick peek at the web site, I like what I see.Thank you. :thumbsup:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• muckshifter

• Bruno

• teacher

• linuxdude32

Oh Bruno,

NOTE: no commandline terror there
Sorry ... but that is all I got on that one ... no GUI whats so ever ... just a black screen with Logon. :thumbsup: Sorry, not laughing at you, but with my luck and your last words we were just asking for that to happen.And, as usuall, I have no idea how to "invoke" the desktop/GUI from the command line.NEXT!... any others? got 3 blank CDRs left, got about 40 DVDRs though. :thumbsup:

Hi MucksJust wait a minute . . we have "cheatcodes" we can try to boot this puppy . . . . . :thumbsup: . . . . what happens if instead of hitting <Enter> when your system finds the CD you type: livecd xdrv=fbdev and then hit enter ?What kind of video card are you using ?Have more "cheatcodes" if this one fails, but need a bit more info on where and how it fails :DB) Bruno

Did you try the startx command?
Ross, mucks knows NO commands. :hmm:
Hi MucksJust wait a minute . . we have "cheatcodes" we can try to boot this puppy . . . . . :) . . . . what happens if instead of hitting <Enter> when your system finds the CD you type: livecd xdrv=fbdev and then hit enter ?What kind of video card are you using ?Have more "cheatcodes" if this one fails, but need a bit more info on where and how it fails :DB) Bruno
Oh no, what do you mean instead of "hit enter" ... the first time I never 'hit' anything ... I was reading the screen and before I could do anything it went off on its own. The second time, I believe your are supposed to write 'live cd' ... now come on this is muckshifter ... put it in, auto run, no workie, throw away. :hmm: Nope! not for me. B)

Hey Mucks . . . just typing "livecd xdrv=fbdev" won't kill you . . . and it most likely will do the trick . . . . . Okay . . I see . . . . we have someone who likes to abbandon quickly B) . . have it the way you want it . . move on to Mepis ;):hmm: Bruno

Nice try ... but I aint moving, Mepis don't like my keyboard or mouse. B) No mouse ... no keyboard. :hmm: Bruno, unlike most here, I only have one PC these days, no printer. I got a stack of bits of paper with allsorts written on them, I have a splitting head, and so far Suse is the only Linux that works ... even if I can't access a USB HD, it's still working.Maybe tomorrow we'll try again, I did like what I saw at PCLos site, but for now I need a rest. :hmm:

Muckshifter I applaud your persistence, reading this has brought back so many memories. Dard is right there really are a lot of gui ways to do things, I have found lots just by poking around to see what stuff is and what it does.

You move fast. I come home from a marathon at work and find about 50 new posts. :) There are lots of gui ways of doing things. I use GUI a lot rather than command line......Just because it is there. :angry:

Hopefully Jason will have other ways of doing this with yast2.
You pretty much covered it. :angry: Sometimes yast still hangs, other times it's because the machine it's running on has limited RAM and it just runs as slow as molasses (i.e. it hasn't crashed, it's just still "thinking").Oh, I just remembered another way of killing apps in KDE (probably works in Gnome too, but haven't tried it lately). Make sure the problem app you want to kill (that's Linux speak for 'terminate' or 'end the app with extreme prejudice' has a visible window, then Alt+F2 and type 'xkill'. You'll get a skull and crossbones. Put it over (in front of) the offending app, and then click. Presto, gonno! It works on any "window" so be careful not to click on the wrong one or something like the taskbar (that's how I found out the taskbar was called 'kicker'). :) Btw, one of the reasons Linux gurus will tell you how to do stuff in command line is that often the CLI (command line interface) is the faster way to do things and is more standard across all Linux distros (avoids having to tell you to do it one way in Red Hat, another way in SUSE, another way in Mandrake, etc.). It alway doesn't get outdated as quickly. Linux distros are fast moving targets.Don't know about the floppy issue with SUSE, using 10.0 RC1 right now and though I've have a floppy drive, I've always had bad luck with floppies and have given up on them for the most part. And the bad luck applies equally to Windows as well as Linux. I think floppies just hate me. :)

I agree that PCLOS is very easy to use when it works . I tried it a couple of days ago, spent several hours with it and was not very impressed. I'll save my rant for my Linux blog. Just goes to show that with Linux distributions, there are no solid rules (as to what will work the best, etc.).

Hello linuxdude32,Flipping Klipper, I'll get you, seems all you need to do is ctrl+v ... oops, just printing my thoughts out. :D I understand I'll need to use the 'command line' but it just seemed to me that everybody on Linus uses it instead of any GUI. I'll get there. :thumbsup: Hello Teacher, sorry to leave you behind, but it looks like I'll be using Suse no matter what "little anomalies" it has. Cant find anything better ... for me.Got my printer finally in place near the PC ... so one shutdown comming up. Any problems and you'll know who it is. :teehee: