muckshifter went Windows free ...

muckshifter

:whistling: Boy, do I need help ... :wacko: Just an easy one to start you all off ... 100,000 more questions later, should improve my post count :devil: Ok, Question one ...I had an Iiyama 19" CRT monitor that Suse found no bother, however, that monitor was on it's last legs as the constant 'flickering' was driving me nuts ... I now have a Videoseven TFT/LCD E19PS 12ms monitor ... oh, you know what's comming then.Well, I don't think it is setup correctly as it looks as if I'm running in 800x600 and not 1280x1024 as it says.It is detected as a CMO CMC 19"AD (30-82Khz/43-76Hz) ... distruction on how to check and maybe improve would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: Mucks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• muckshifter

• Bruno

• teacher

• linuxdude32

I know when I swiched monitors I just edited the xorg.conf file manually with the specs of monitor.xorgconfig command runs a configuration wizard type thing, it may detect it better.

Hello HB, thanks for the reply ...I better make this clear now, that I have only been using Suse for 3 days, and by that I mean Linux.I'm crawling but learning to walk.Suse has a 'devicemanager' (suseplugger) that I used to "configure" the monitor. It was what came up with CMO CMC 19"AD (30-82Khz/43-76Hz) ... there are no spacific Linux drivers I can find for this monitor. :thumbsup: So I was just wondering if I and Suse have it 'detected' corectly. It really does not 'look' as if it's running in 1280x1024I have 7 days in wich I can return the monitor. :whistling:

Teacher runs SUSE - she can probably give ya better advice on this one since your a brand new explorer. I only seen SUSE once and it wasn't my thing.BTW welcome to the dark side :lol:just so you know that in your /etc/X11/ folder is a file called xorg.conf that is where the monitor, mouse, display, keyboard and other thigs are set. It's a very finicky file, one wrong word and no xwindows for you.

Here it is in a nutshell: Green button in the lower left corner -->System --> Yast. (Click on the green button and go up to the entry for System. Click on that and go down to Yast.) Hardware tab: Graphics card and monitor. (Click on the hardware tab). Now you want to click on the graphics card and monitor. Let it reprobe the monitor. Then click on change: Change --> Set the desktop. Use the sample menu to make the resolution and screen size match. Here you will use the menus to make sure the screen size nad resolution are what you want. Let us know how that works. :whistling:

Thanks for the help. :whistling:
I'll just add a couple of underlying concepts -- If you bring up Control Center, from the K menu, then Peripherals, then Display, you can see exactly what KDE thinks it's doing. No need to guess about it. If it's actually already at 1280x1024 [your desired rez?] then what needs adjustment is the timing of the sync pulses. Suse has a util named Sax2, which I think you can run from the command line, to do the margin adjusting, and then write the new 'modeline' statement into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. A very low-level way of doing the same is with the xvidtune util [run from a command window] -- which will allow you to [say, for example] click on the 'wider' button, then 'apply' -- iterate between the various buttons until the screen has grown/shifted to your desired position, then click on the 'show' button, to get a line showing the modeline that solves the monitor sizing. Then, you can manually edit that into the xorg.conf file. But I'd surely try the monitor on a windows box to be sure it isn't broken -- or, take it to the store where you bought it, and see it work on one of their puters. Even if you can fudge the margins as you like, you probably shouldn't keep a defective monitor. Edited by burninbush

Hello,Thanks Teach' ... that was not quite how I got there, but the end result is the same. I used your method just to double check, and it tells me what I've already said above. How do you restart the graphic?I will point out that this monitor was 'tested' by me before leaving the computer show ... I went around looking at various monitors. The Xerox was out of my pocket @ nearly £300, this V7 was only £163, I know the stall holder personally. :) One reason I can take it back ... :thumbsup: I know what it looks like running Windows, as they were not running any Linux, and I had a good play around before deciding but forgetting that Linux may not like it anyway.What I see on the screen is actually very very good ... but it still "looks" BIG for 1280.How do I take a screen shot to show you ... a picture paints a thousand words. :D I probably need to go and reduce the Icons and stuff down in size.HI georgeg4 :wacko: burninbushNo, you lost me ... but I can assure you the monitor is perfect and runs fantastic on windows ... I wiped windows off. :whistling: I did not want an excuse to "reboot to Windows" ... I have plenty of time on my hands, and need to keep the mind busy.I think Teacher has just comfirmed that Suse is doing the best it can with this monitor, I would like destructions on how to restart graphics though, instead of "restarting" the system ... even though I am pretty good at restarting FaD from a Konsole. :D Thanks for the Help. :devil:

Hi Mucks"Ctrl+Alt+Backspace" is the magic command to restart the X-server . . . . . . and there should be a tool in Yast to set the screen resolution ( not in SUSE right now :whistling: ) . . . Or give the command "krandrtray" and a little applet will appear next to the clock where you can change the resolution.:thumbsup: Bruno

WE HAVE SUCCESS ...I had a "play" ... err, no I mean look at, Sax2, and I messed up. :thumbsup: I had to use the reset button as I do not know where CTRL/ALT/DEL is in Linux and was very thankfull that Suse started up AND it looks like 1280 is running.YIPPPEEEEEEmucks runs off to get a big bottle for verybody... Sorry Bruno ... I did not wait or see your reply, but I now know how to restart X ... it looks absolutely fantastic.Shall I carry on with question #2 ... or start a new post. Oh 'ang on were on Q 4 now ... aint we? :whistling: :wacko:

Carry on! :)MuckYou might want to spend some time in the tips. They can be a bit overwhelming but get used to using them as a reference and you will find yourself acting like a Linux pro in no time. :whistling:

Carry on! :)MuckYou might want to spend some time in the tips. They can be a bit overwhelming but get used to using them as a reference and you will find yourself acting like a Linux pro in no time. :thumbsup:
I got to page 5 and gave up ... all those "codes" put me off, But the one thing I have is ... loads of time, just need some Optrex in. :whistling:

It is a bit early for the tips other than to know it is there and you can search it. :)Take some time to browse around Suse. Go to the KDE Control Center and look at all the ways you can customize your desktop. It is pretty intuitive. You can play around with transparencies, how your toolbar across the bottom (kicker) looks and put a different wallpaper on every screen. :DThat could keep you busy all day between doing that and exploring all the software you have just installed. :whistling: Have fun and explore!

lmsensors is probably what you need, but it takes a bit of configuring as every mobo has different sensor chips, and is a CLI program.The easy bit is that once configured, you can use KSensors (in KDE of course) to make readings. It's a nice little GUI for lmsensors.Check the Tips for Linux Explorers - http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=265 will get it installed and configured for you. :hmm:

is there an 'easy' CPU temp monitoring program? :)
NO . . . not one that is easy to configure :D . . . . There are very good sensor-monitors available but it is considered as one of the hardest "hacks" here on the forum . . . . . So: you could earn yourself some kudo's with this challenge :)
I'm still on page 8 ... :D
LOL . . . I only add one Tip each week . . . so you might catch up in the end :hmm: :PB) Bruno

Hello Bruno,Well I have to agree ... I got as far as downloading the program ... and then read your first line, and err, had a little think, and said ... "self, wait for Suse to implement it" :hmm: I found out why my MB was beeping though ... I thought it was a temp' warning ('cos of FaD) ... turns out that KMail was using the MB speaker. :D Sorted now.I've gone back to page 3 (Brit joke) :) The more I "play" ... the more I like it.

soon you will discover that you can do everything u did in windows in linux - just got to keep pluckin away at it and it will all come together
Hello HB,I was 90% sure I could do all I need to do in Linux. The reason I did not dual boot was to 'force' myself to persist and WIN. I know what I'm like and only surprise myself occasionally. :) My first experience with Linux was a "hmmm, right, goodbye" ... second time round took me 2 days to "mount" a CD drive and the thing was loaded from CD. Doh!This is my 3rd attempt ... :hmm:

SUSE doesn't always detect your monitor (same with other distros). In fact, it didn't detect my monitor until about a year ago. Before that, I had to fake it and just tell pick a Generic monitor with a resolution and refresh rate I knew it to be capable of. You can do the same thing with lCD> Look in the list that Julia referred to you and find LCD -> and then pick a resolution and frequence that the monitor can do (checks your docs to see the range). The frequencies you'll see listed here are for vertical and in Hz. Most people are annoyed by the display at 60 Hz so you probably want to pick at least 70, 72, or 75 Hz so you're not.The resolution shown is the MAX that the monitor device is capable, not necessarily the resolution you end up with. For that you'll need to check the resolution area and choose which one you want. Just because a monitor claims to be capable of a certain resolution doesn't mean you want to use it. I only have a 15" right now and it is capable of 1024x768 but you can't use it at that resolution - it looks like crap, all fuzzy and the text is too darn small.

Hello linuxdude32,Don't tell the others, but that is what I did. At the time I did not know how to restart X and the screen froze. Had to use the reset button on the PC, but I was fortunate that all was well and all I really needed to do was restart x.Need to get some more basic "commands" under my belt before messing about with the hardware settings. Actually I don't think I need to do anything about the rest of the hardware. I don't have a standby system apart from 4 different "live" CDs so I should be able to ask for help even if I mess it right up.Oh, there is one Item that has me a little annoyed. Wrong word, anxious is a better word.I copied and saved, and also made an image of Windows on an external USB hard drive ... now when I attach that drive Suse says it "cannot enter media" the drive is listed as "sde1" ... is it because it is in NTFS :D Fortunately I also used DVDs to save my data to. Not got around to checking them yet, been too busy reading. :) Mucks B)

I copied and saved, and also made an image of Windows on an external USB hard drive ... now when I attach that drive Suse says it "cannot enter media" the drive is listed as "sde1" ... is it because it is in NTFS :D
Nope it is called sde1 because it is an external USB hard drive B) . . . . . . you should be able to access it though, the thing that might be stopping you from accessing it is that you maybe have to "mount" it first:NOTE: Do not type the $ and > signs, they are part of the prompt and only show if you are "root" or not !!
$ su< root-password>> mkdir /media/sde1> mount /dev/sde1 /media/sde1> ls /media/sde1

( The last command should show you what is on sde1 if the previous commands were successful :) )B) Bruno

ls /media/sde1= No media :D B) B) I tried to copy a file over ... just refused. :( Bloody glad I stuck everything on DVD as well. :)
A method I've used here, occasionally -- Starting with the usb external disk unplugged, get your linux up; then from a command window do an fdisk -l command to see what the system can see as disk partitions, both mounted and unmounted, of all types. Then plug in your usb gizmo, give it a couple seconds, and do the command again. If the system is seeing the disk through the usb port, then fdisk -l should show it. Most importantly, it'll also show what your linux is *naming* the device. On my machines, external usb storage is always a /dev/sdXX -- starting with /dev/sda1 on the boxes that don't have a scsi card. Note that if you have a usbstick [flashdisk] plugged in first, then the kernel will give the usb disk a designation that follows -- won't necessarily always be the same name, depends on the order you plugged them in. Once you know how the system is naming the device, then you should be able to mount it with a standard mount command -- to some previously created mount-point. Not obvious here that formatting such a disk ntfs is the best plan -- fat32 would be a more universal choice. Actually, most of the recent distros I've played with will put an icon up on the KDE desktop if you have that box*** checked to show device icons on the desktop.***Control Center, Desktop, Behavior, Device Icons ... enable these at top, and then check the items you'd like to see.