muckshifter went Windows free ...

muckshifter

Hello burninbush,

Actually, most of the recent distros I've played with will put an icon up on the KDE desktop if you have that box*** checked to show device icons on the desktop.
Exactly how mine works ... B) NTFS was what I always used in Windows, it was a BackUp drive ... however, I'm not using Windows anymore, so I'm not adverse to "formating" it for Linux. :) I pop the DVD backup in and up pops a window with all my files. B) I really do like this Linux. :) So what I would like to do is format the external USB HD, using Suse Linux, just so I know how, and copy over the DVD to have easy access. :D Now don't tell me how just yet ... let me screw it up, err, try it first. :(

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• muckshifter

• Bruno

• teacher

• linuxdude32

Actually, it seems I'm not alone ... a friend has just installed Suse 9.3, just to have a look at Suse, and has the same 'problem' ... two heads are now going to have a bash at it. (pun intended) :D B)

She has been using Linux for a few years ... so I must confess I have been cheating, I also got a book out of the Library, but have not got far reading it yet. B) Please do not be offended, as I really do appreciate all your help, your knowledge is invaluable, I'm trying to get my head around "it" and my friend was the one who convinced me to "give it a go" again ... very persuasive she is too. B) She is quicker with Google then I ... but you know how without the help of google. :D

Hello Teacher,Ok, we is stuck ...We tried this;Log out and Log back in as Root"Right click on the desktop- configure desktop- behaviour- device icons- tick show device icons - apply"I works, but only in root. :hmm: So ... what would you good folks recommend. :teehee:

Hello Teacher,Ok, we is stuck ...We tried this;Log out and Log back in as Root"Right click on the desktop- configure desktop- behaviour- device icons- tick show device icons - apply"I works, but only in root. :hmm: So ... what would you good folks recommend. :teehee:
Do I understand correctly that your icons for your drives such as your DVD/CD don't let you access them? If so we will need to go in and change your permissions so that you can use them and not just root.

Morning all. Hello Teacher,

Do I understand correctly that your icons for your drives such as your DVD/CD don't let you access them? If so we will need to go in and change your permissions so that you can use them and not just root.
No, just the external USB HD ... the DVD drives work fine.Hello Ross,
Muckshifter....That change you made was only for the root account. You need to do the same thing while logged in as normal user.;)
Nope, sorry first thing I did ... "could not enter folder /media/BackUp" ... :hmm: I have no problem with my USB Stick. I need to format this drive so Linux and windows can see it :teehee:

Hi MucksIn a nutshell this is what you should do:First check how Linux calls that drive with:

# fdisk -l

Imagine that the answer is "sde1" . . in that case you do:

# fdisk /dev/sde

This opens the partitioner for sde . . if ou press M you get the help-menu . . . first you have to delete the present partitions ( D ) then make new partitions ( N )See for a howto on fdisk here: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=244After partitioning you need to format the partitions . . . . for this we use ( in your case if you want to access the partition from Linux AND Windows make it Fat . . . for the first partition on sde:

# mkfs -t vfat /dev/sde1

That is all there is to it ;):teehee: Bruno

Ah, yes, hmmm, well then ... :teehee: Hello Bruno,I don't seem to be able to read what you have written, and, understand it. :( That is not your fault ... but unless people actually say "Start by opening a Konsole/Terminal" ... I sit here and wonder ... I have already had two very panic stricken moments when somebody told me to "log off" and "do this ..."what did I do, DOH! I restarted Linux. :hmm: I did not know how to "log off" ... :o I do now. I am missing some basic skill here, and I should learn to craw first before walking. If I don't know some "basics" what chance have I to learn any skills.I'm intelligent enough to know my limitations ... but I am equally frustrated at not being able to understand some "simple" instructions. This is what led me to "give up" on Linux the last time. :( I don't want to waste anybodies time and certainly do not want a personal tutor ... All I have "learned" since Friday is; How to invoke a Konsole/Terminal, How to Log off & on and How to make sure THINK is running & restart it if not. That's it. :( Here is an example of another "problem" ...I downloaded Thunderbird and installed it, I know I installed it because I had to setup my email addresses AND I received email ... I was well pleased at how "easy" that was, however, I closed the application and now I have no Idea how to "run" it ... you have to remember I have been using Windows for nearly 20years, yes I know Linux is not windows, but I really did think Thunderbird would have a "run here something or other somewhere" damed if I know, and I aint pressing any Icons till I do. :huh: This is the same sort of "problems" I was encountering on my last foray with Linux ... to add to insults, neither of my floppy drives are "mounted" now come on. I can understand I will have to "play" and get the LS120 to work, or dump it, but an ordinary Floppy Drive should surley have been "mounted" by the system? And then you see that the "USB Pen" (not the HD) is automaticly seen and a box pops up with all your files. Confused? I am.I know I need to NOT keep thinking Windows, but to go back to DOS, which I did know, is taking the mick. ;) I'll be back ... my frustrations have almost been vented. o:)

Mounting a DriveThe process of telling the file system that the drive exists and what directory it should apperar at. On most Linux vatieties, normal users can't mount drives, but if you're curious how it's done you should see your system administrator to find out which drives you can mount and how to mount them.
:hmm: ;) :huh: o:) :o :teehee:

Don't have a system administrator? If not, that's you. :hmm: There's a lot of new stuff to learn but don't let Bruno make you think you have to do it all via terminal. SUSE has a very capable partitioning program in YaST, too. :teehee:

Don't have a system administrator? If not, that's you. :P There's a lot of new stuff to learn but don't let Bruno make you think you have to do it all via terminal. SUSE has a very capable partitioning program in YaST, too. :thumbsup:
I have no intention of anybody influencing me on how I use my PC ... command line code is useful to ME only when needed. A good example is setting up THINK, I should not have to go jumping through hoops just to get a Floppy drive to work. **** even DOS has no problems with a floppy.
A TIP ABOUT THE TIPSHi mucks if you e-mail bruno he will send you his tips you can put on your desktop . that way they will always be handy when you need them . :thumbsup:
Sorry, but I did not get Linux to use as a command line OS ... I can do that in DOS. :thumbsup: Sincere apologies to all ...It seems that the "Floppy mount problem" is a "bug" in Suse 9.3, since April, and it has not been corrected. Who needs a Floppy Drive anyway? :rolleyes: I think it time to move on ... this is the second time I have tried to use Suse, and the second time I have had a "mount" problem, and I'm talking of a span of at least two years here ... if they aint got it fixed now, then I'm using the wrong OSI wonder how one burns an ISO on Suse

I think it time to move on ... this is the second time I have tried to use Suse, and the second time I have had a "mount" problem, and I'm talking of a span of at least two years here ... if they aint got it fixed now, then I'm using the wrong OSI wonder how one burns an ISO on Suse
Most everything can be done in a GUI using suse, mandriva, pclinuxos and many others.I can see that you are very frustrated at this point, 20 years in windows and a week using suse linux. Hardly a fair compairson, but I digress.I also agree that finding easy to understand instructions, articles, tutorials and how-to's can be a pain in the poop shoot. Worse 99.9% of then are doing it at the command line when there is a easy to use GUI way to get things done.Here are some easy to read articles with screen shots, mostly about KDE, they most likely will help you understand what's going on in KDE, how things are done. Or at least provide you with some clues.Here is the url for the main page.Here is a mounting and unmounting article that may help you.Most people use K3b to do all their burning, CD's and DVD's works great with .iso'sHTH

Hi again muckshifter!I don't have Suse installed right now ( I too had problems with 9.3 and 10 RC1, different than yours however) but it seems to me that if you have an ISO downloaded, all you have to do is put an empty CD in the drive and that should open KBIII ( which is a burning application like Nero but even better and very easy to use).One important thing ( and I learn a big lesson last week ) make sure you choose an ISO image ( probably near the top right ) and not copy data. That's what I did and the distro wouldn't install.I hope this helps and if you have more questions more knowledgeable people around will be there when the time comes. Remember Jason's moto ( linuxdude32 ) " It's all about having fun ". Good luck!P.S. Hey Dard. Great links! I'll be checking them too. Thanks!

Edited by réjean

Hello Dard,It looks like I have been going about this in the wrong way ... Teacher DID say, "have a play", well I am now, and to **** with what goes wrong.I have a YaST2 aplication going nuts here and I can't KILL it. :thumbsup: but the PC is working and completely ignoring that fact. cant fault it there.You are right and I told myself from the start not to compare Linux with windows ... I also forgot another rule "find a Disro" well I still think Suse is good but it is 'another version' of Linux. There are some pretty good 'tools' in hereMy 'problem' was thinking ... naw, just re-install and start again, **** I got the rest of my life to do this. :P I completely forgot about Bit's place, and I'm a member. :rolleyes: Thanks for understanding. :thumbsup: Hello réjean,Thanks, I'll give KBIII a look see and remember to use ISO. :thumbsup: Kind regardsMucks :teehee:

Hi Dard!I may be an old dog but I'm always willing to learn new tricks. I don't mind using a console but it can be useful at times to know both ways ( like when I can't remember a command at hand and don't feel to look through my notes or do a google search ). Thanks again!

Edited by réjean

mucks, I'm following along and following your frustration. I was told things and they might have been speaking Martian for all I understood. I understand a bit more now. I'm still not ready to ditch windows and install Linux. I need the comfort of windows when the frustration of trying to do something in Linux gets to be too much.IMHO, you picked one of the harder distros to start with. I looked at 10 live CDs and I found Mephis and PCLos to be two of the easier ones. They just worked without any thought on my part. Of course I learned that it is umount and not unmount (I must have tried unmounting something and couldn't understand why nothing was happening).

Hi Dard!I may be an old dog but I'm always willing to learn new tricks. I don't mind using a console but it can be useful at times to know both ways ( like when I can't remember a command at hand and don't feel to look through my notes or do a google search ). Thanks again!
Don't worry réjean, there will be plenty of time to become a command line commando after you have more time under your belt.Basically learn about 10 commands and use them when you want to, build on that. It will come in time.Users like GUI's otherwise we would all be using the command line exclusively. And many developers are building the tools, and the distros are including them in their offerings.They really do understand that the command line is not for everyone.Mucks, I used suse back in 9.1 a few years ago, and I have forgot most of what yast can do, but it does a lot. As far as killing that run away process you can use the k system guard to do that as root.Probably the easiest way to do this as root is to use the keyboard combination ALT+F2 then enter kdesu ksysguard click on run, you should see a dialog box that will ask for the root password, type that in then when k system guard opens look for the yast2 entry that is causing you problems. Click to highlight it then click on the kill button, it should kill that process shortly.If you cant do anything with yast2 then it probably is your only way to break out of that cycle.Hopefully Jason will have other ways of doing this with yast2.Last time I used yast to add fonts from the internet it broke, and when I finally rebooted the computer it would not go into the GUI because it lost the font server. There is a safer way to add fonts than using the yast tool. Just thought I'd pass this on. :thumbsup:

Hello Dard,And there is me thinking Suse was one of the easy ones ... :thumbsup: KsysGuard won't KILL that YaST2 ... but I have a reset button that will. :thumbsup: I'm just in the middle of downloading Simply Mepis 3.3 ... only one disk, and Suse need ALL 5.Hello zlim,I'm not brave, just knew that if I kept Windows, I would not be here now. :thumbsup: Pleased to see someone learning off my mistakes, heck, I learned off others too.... not Long, and we'll see what Mepis has to offer ... may even have a go at Mandrake, or whatever they call them selves.Anyway ... what do you guys-n-girls use?

Anyway ... what do you guys-n-girls use?
Mepis is one of my perennial favorites. Don't think there's another out there that is any easier. I probably wouldn't be still playing with linux if not for having that Mepis to rescue me. It's invaluable to have at least one that always works. Re killing something that won't quit -- open a command window, enter ps -A to get a list of all running processes -- and then just enter kill 3749 -- subbing whatever number appears beside the thing that won't quit. You can also do a ctrl-alt-backspace -- which will stop everything and allow you to re-login to KDE.

Mepis is one of my perennial favorites. Don't think there's another out there that is any easier. I probably wouldn't be still playing with linux if not for having that Mepis to rescue me. It's invaluable to have at least one that always works. Re killing something that won't quit -- open a command window, enter ps -A to get a list of all running processes -- and then just enter kill 3749 -- subbing whatever number appears beside the thing that won't quit. You can also do a ctrl-alt-backspace -- which will stop everything and allow you to re-login to KDE.
Now he tells me ... :thumbsup: I thought crtl-alt-backspace was just to restart xWell we can scrub SimplyM ... only one keyboard recognised and NO mices. Will Have to find out where I put my ps2 mouse before I try that again. Good job I have an old ps2 keyboard attached as well as my wireless keyboard. :thumbsup:
I use PCLos. It has many of the latest packages, and is regularly updated. it also has a nice Wiki for those new to the distrohttp://www.pclinuxonline.com/pcloshttp://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki
I'm running out of blank CDRs here ... :thumbsup: Suse is back ... I'll look at you offering there Ross.

MucksPCLos is solid advice ! . . . It has the polish and good looks of SUSE . . . but GUI config tools that are a lot easier to manage. PCLos is by far the best distro for people new to Linux ( even for people that never came near to a computer at all ) No commandline needed.Mepis is fine too but is less goodlooking and lacks the easy GUI config tools.:thumbsup: Bruno