Forum-Software-Upgrade-Related Issues

Scot

I got an email notification. The problem is: I don't want any emails. Maybe it has to do with what is ticked at the bottom of the quick reply window (enable email notifications of replies is always ticked, even though I don't want it)> I may have forgotten to untick it. I know this is probably the forum default but why don't my personal preferences over ride what ever the forum default is?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havnblast

• nlinecomputers

• Scot

• Arena2045

Did you go to My Controls --> E-mail settings and tell it you don't want replies?

Edited by teacher

This is from the IBP updtes for 2.0:

Topic and Forum SubscriptionsNone: This will not send out any emails but it will retain the forum or topic in the subscriptions panel which will allow you to 'bookmark' useful or favourite topics/forums.Delayed: This is 'classic' mode. The board will email you notification when you're not active on the board.Immediate: This will email you immediately after a new topic has been made (forum subscription) or reply has been made (topic subscription). This will send an email regardless of activity and it will send multiple emails if there are multiple replies.Daily Digest: This will email you a digest of all new topics (forum) or replies (topic) in one email - once per dayWeekly Digest: This acts in the same way as the daily digest but it will digest the week and send it - once per week.

nlinecomputers
Immediate: This will email you immediately after a new topic has been made (forum subscription) or reply has been made (topic subscription). This will send an email regardless of activity and it will send multiple emails if there are multiple replies.
Thanks for the head slap Julia. :) I'd had read it but not comprehended it. My default is immediate so that is why I'm getting all those notices. The email that it sends needs to be edited as it states this is the only message.Off to change my settings. :thumbsdown:

No problem Nathan. It was good for me to go check out the differences. I love getting immediate replies (except when out of town and I come back with 100s of messages. B) ). It helps me keep track of what is going on with the forum without logging in or when I am working with someone to know they have replied without refreshing every 15 seconds.

Curiouser and Curiouser!!I always log off when I leave.But the board still doesn't update for me. :hmm:And I experience the same behavior on my work system.I think I try wiping out the cookies again.

Here's one to throw a kink in it. Today, I logged in as an anonymous user. This evening, logged out & logged back in like usual (not anonymous user). The forums look like they've been read (all lighter blue), but when I go into one of the forums, there are still unread topics from before my logout/ login. Very curious indeed. :huh:Also, each time that I logged in as an anonymous user, I checked don't remember me & make me invisible (or whatever that choice is) & I had to log in twice every time. After first try at anonymous login, I was still a guest. Worked right on the 2nd try every time. :whistling: No biggie, just annoyances. :thumbsup: Edited by siebkens

I was looking at My Assistant, thinking that possibly between My Assistant and forum subscriptions, I might have a suggestion for StoneGiant for his preferences. Instead I noticed the following in MyAssistant:

My AssistantSince your last visit...There are 60850 new posts.( View ) 4 of these posts are replies to topics you started.( View )
Does anyone thing that there has been 60850 new posts between yesterday and today. :lol:

Guest Paracelsus

Actually, Corrine...This issue came up here "Behind the Scenes", as it were, and several of us have noticed it. I think Julia or Jebs said they perused the IPB Forums and found that it is a Known Issue for v2.0.3.haven't heard if there is a resolution for it yet, though.

Edited by Paracelsus

You are right. There is a bug and a patch that needs to be applied. I found it on the IPB It will take a while to get around to all of these things. Since we are an all-volunteer force around here it has to be sandwiched in between our "real" jobs and our families. ;)

Here I was thinking that Titan was paying us a visit. As I recall he does manage to turn the board upside down :blink: when he is around.@Julia -- Being a volunteer at a few sites myself, I completely understand. I discovered it by accident and didn't see it reported here so thought I'd pass the word along.

A new change? Only the original post and the last reply are now shown in the view. All other replies are concatenated as indicated in this sample:SNLF_View.gifPerhaps this was a change to improve site performance as I don't see any way to change this in preferences in the UserCP. Is there a way to expand all replies in a topic?Edit Note: After replying, I note that the reply is added to the concatenated list.

Edited by Corrine

Whew! Thanks, for the fast reply, Arena. I never even saw other view options and hadn't realized that I had clicked on one of them.

Linear+ seems to leave the first thread post at the top of every page of a thread. I'm sure it probably does other stuff, but that's what I've noticed

• 2 weeks later...
Arrghh...can someone PLEASE set the option to "Subscribe to Thread" *OFF* by default for quick-reply?? :' />

I think it's unanimous that that's the way it should work. No one has so far found a way to do it. Havnblast, you know this software pretty well. Do you know? This may be back in this thread somewhere. I didn't just read the whole thing again.-- Scot

A reply was in some topic, but I can't find it. What users can so is go into:My Controls--Email Settings Under Options----Enable 'Email Notification' by default? <-- Check That ---- than in the drop down box select No Email Notification than click the Amend My Email Settings.You will not get emails than if new posts are done and it doesn't matter if the box is check or not on the quick reply. I use that feature and never get emails for every new topic and I don't uncheck it in the quick replyI have to check on the Administrative end if it can be taken off - I don't know if it is something with 2.0.3 or what since I don't have this version.

Email Notifications SettingsTopic and Forum SubscriptionsNone: This will not send out any emails but it will retain the forum or topic in the subscriptions panel which will allow you to 'bookmark' useful or favourite topics/forums.Delayed: This is 'classic' mode. The board will email you notification when you're not active on the board.Immediate: This will email you immediately after a new topic has been made (forum subscription) or reply has been made (topic subscription). This will send an email regardless of activity and it will send multiple emails if there are multiple replies.Daily Digest: This will email you a digest of all new topics (forum) or replies (topic) in one email - once per dayWeekly Digest: This acts in the same way as the daily digest but it will digest the week and send it - once per week.

Edited by havnblast

Thanks, Havnblast. Also from much earlier in this thread (as well as elsewhere), there's a discussion about the need to actively log out in order to start receiving forum notifcations by email. There seems to be a lot of variation on that, or there was back then. (The email thing with this forum software has always been a little quirky.) But I noticed in the Admin CP in the security settings area there's a "Session Expiration" setting whose default setting is one hour. The description reads "Removes inactive sessions over the limit you specify."I'm wondering if we shortened that number whether it might not improve the chance that people get notifications. If I'm understanding the feature properly, you're not logged out until an hour after you shutdown the browser window or don't make any other moves in the forum. So for that period of time, you're not going to get forum notifications.If I'm right the opposite problem would be that if you paused your forum activity to take a phone call or send an email, you could find yourself logged out -- or more properly, needing to log back in. But my guess is that 30 minutes or even 20 minutes would be OK, and people would miss fewer notifications.Don't know if I might be on the wrong track. I've not had time to research what this feature really does. I wish the IPB folks would include real help files, or at least direct links in context to a help doc on their forums or the web.Any thoughts?-- Scot

Edited by Scot

James M. Fisher

I am set for "Immediate" notifications, since I'm not always logged in here. Works better than the previous version of this software, that's for sure.

Scot and other admin there is a Admin Panel Guidehttp://www.invisionpower.com/documentation...hp?page=32&p=19Might want to look thereSession Expiration - The amount of time, in seconds, a user's session should remain active in the database.User the links in the left hand colum for explanations of features

Thanks, but this guide, which I've looked at before, gives no additional detail on this feature, or most other features. Documentation is a real failing of IPB. Was just asking if *you* knew anything about it. Thanks anyway!-- Scot

I am set for "Immediate" notifications, since I'm not always logged in here. Works better than the previous version of this software, that's for sure.

Yup. I use that setting too. Curious, James, does it solve all the problems? I'd appreciate your input on that. Thanks.-- Scot

James M. Fisher
Yup. I use that setting too. Curious, James, does it solve all the problems? I'd appreciate your input on that. Thanks.-- Scot

I wouldn't say it solves the problem 100% Scot, but it's far better than before. There are still times when a thread I am involved in continues to get replies and I am not getting any notifications of them.I am always 'logged in' here, but at least notifications continue to arrive.

As far as I know, changing the session isn't going to help with notifications. I see there is some topics on this issue on the IPB forum, but since I am not a customer I can not get access to it. Since yours is licensed you should have access to these topics under the Invision Power Board Support section.They probably keep the documentation out of public view so they can get people to purchase the license for assistance and questions.I ran across this tho for the quick reply

Admin CP>Skins & Templates>Click on the skin you want to edit>Edit Root Skin Template HTML>Topic View>quick_reply_box_open> Look for:<if="ipb.member['auto_track'] != """><input type="checkbox" name="enabletrack" value="1" class="checkbox" checked="checked" /> {ipb.lang['qr_add_email']} |</if>
replace it with this:<if="ipb.member['auto_track'] != """><input type="checkbox" name="enabletrack" value="1" class="checkbox" unchecked="unchecked" /> {ipb.lang['qr_add_email']} |</if>
That will get rid of the autocheck mark to subscribe to this forum

Thanks for that info, havnblast. :rolleyes: I will try this either later today or tomorrow. Mind telling me where you found? Thanks!By the way, did not know you aren't registered. Let me return the favor. If you ever want me to search for something on the Licensed Support board, let me know.-- Scot

Note: This is now done.-- Scot

As far as I know, changing the session isn't going to help with notifications.  I see there is some topics on this issue on the IPB forum, but since I am not a customer I can not get access to it.  Since yours is licensed you should have access to these topics under the Invision Power Board Support section.They probably keep the documentation out of public view so they can get people to purchase the license for assistance and questions.I ran across this tho for the quick replyThat will get rid of the autocheck mark to subscribe to this forum