LinkSys wireless driver for Mandrake 9.2

Guest lea3792

Unpack the Windows driver with unzip/cabextract/unshield tools and find out the INF file (i.e., file with .INF or .inf extension) and SYS file (i.e., file with .SYS or .sys extension). If there are multiple INF/SYS files, you may look in the List if there are any hints about which of them should be used. Make sure the INF file, SYS file and any BIN files (for example, TI drivers use BIN firmware files) are all in one directory. Now use "ndiswrapper" tool to install the driver withndiswrapper -i filename.infThe good thing about the Linksys card CD is that the INF file is usually in the driver folder and they may only have 1 or 2 to 3 id set up for say win98, W2K WinXP etc.

Does unzip/cabextract/unshield come with instructions? I assume this means you can't just browse for the file? I will have to see if I have time tomorrow night to look at that (I am on the road to another conference today and have a workshop tonight). If I can't get to it then it will be Sunday before I even have time to look at this one.LeaLet us know how it works out. You might want to go back and try a few things. I will try to take all my wireless notes with me but responses might be sparse until Sunday. You never know how much free time you will have at one of these.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• Frogger

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

When I did it..it was just a drill down through folders and a copy paste Drill Examplefile:/media/dvd/WINNT40/OEMSETUP.INF(for adaptec card)...and dropped it in /home/barry until needed... The unzip/cabextract/unsheild depends on how the files are packed ona given cd (but I haven't ran into that yet... :angry2:

Edited by BarryB

When I did it..it was just a drill down through folders and a copy paste Drill  Examplefile:/media/dvd/WINNT40/OEMSETUP.INF(for adaptec card)...and dropped it in /home/barry until needed... The unzip/cabextract/unsheild depends on how the files are packed ona given cd (but I haven't ran into that yet... :o

BarryI will look at this Sunday hopefully. I copied a bunch of the inf files over when I last tried.

Guest lea3792

Good evening Julia,Bruno,Frogger,Barry and any body else involved in this fiasco, I printed up all of the instruction given so far and no matter what I have tried, this thing aint working. I am so thankfull for all the help and the time you all have put into this, it has been a learning experience for me. The sacrifice( your personal time ) you all have spent has been exemplary. I think at this stage of the game we ought to pull the plug on this thing and move on to something else. Your time is very valuable and it is better spent on some other projects that are more workable. I will keep an eye on the forum from time to time and maybe it will work out for some one else and I may be able to profit from it. Again thanks alot for all of your time and patience.RespectfullyLea

LeaWhen I get back home either late tonight or tomorrow I have one more thing for you to try. I have a script with instructions that worked for me. It will be out in the tips one day but I don't have it with me. In the meantime one of these might help you (even if one says D-Link. ;)Drake 10.1 and D-Link productsLinux Wireless networkingAbsoluteValueSystemsWireless How to]

LeaWhen I get back home either late tonight or tomorrow I have one more thing for you to try.  I have a script with instructions that worked for me.
Julia, everything you'd suggested will work only once the correct driver for the wireless NIC is installed. Lea has a NIC based on the RaLink 2500 chipset which is supported by an open-source project, currently in the beta stage. Absolutely nothing anyone suggests will have the slighest effect *until* either that driver is working on her system or the ndiswrapper utility (with which I have no experience) gets the vendor-provided Windows driver working on her system.--Cheers,Rob

Do you want to try ndiswrapper? If so, install the wrapper and then we can try some commands to get it going. I used wrapper to install my onboard connection but do not have it all the way yet. I have been playing with it for a couple of hours and don't quite have everything there yet.

If I could throw in a slightly off-topic comment in here;I rarely recommend WEP anymore.  The encryption has been broken for quite a while,  and it adds a lot of overhead to your connection speed, making it 20-50% slower.  What works just as well, if your router supports it, is to enable MAC filtering (only allowing those computers to join your network who have their MAC address listed in the router) and disable SSID broadcast (announcing your SSID to the world).  Combined, those two actions will protect your connection from all but the most determined and talented bandwidth thieves.Also, while troubleshooting your connection, you really don't want any encryption enabled.
According to the book 'Linux Unwired' by Roger Weeks, Edd Dumbill & Brian Jepson, on page 82, Disabling SSID broadfcast, MAC address filtering and IP address filtering are "almost useless in protecting your wireless network"Somewhat shortened:Dissabling SSID broadcast - Kismet and other wireless networkscanners can easily pick up the SSID by monitoring traffic from clients of the "hidden" network.MAC address filting - Kismet and other wireless scanners can easily pick up MAC address by monitoring client traffic on the wireless netork. Spoofing a MAC addres is very easy. The MAC address filter aonly authentiicates a device.IP address filtering - Any network sniffer or analyzer , such as Ethereal or tcpdump, can easily find IP addressis in use on any given network. If you think about it, the two items mentioned will make it difficult to connect to your wireless network, but do nothing to prevent someone monitoring your network. Remember, you aren't using encryption at all.

Guest lea3792

Good Morning Julia, I think I am going to pull the plug on this. I want to thank all of the forum experts for so much time they have put into helping me. Maybe the hard ware vendors will wake up and realize that there is a lot of money to be made servicing the Lunix community.We have been overlooked for so long. We are small (according to Microsoft) now but we are growing stronger every day and they will properly come to their senses that we are out there and we are a force to be reconded with. Money talks and you know what walks. Again my thanks!!!!!RespectfullyLea