LinkSys wireless driver for Mandrake 9.2

Guest lea3792

Hi Lea, Next steps are:

su< password > rpm -ihv wireless-tools-27-0.pre23.2mdk.i586.rpmrpm -ihv wlandetect-0.3-1mdk.noarch.rpm

That will install the two packages . . . . just show us what you see in the terminal when you give those comands.:P Bruno

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• Frogger

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lea3792

Hi Bruno and Julia, here is what I have[lea3792@localhost lea3792]$ suPassword:[root@localhost lea3792]# rpm -ihv wireless-tools-27-0.pre23.2mdk.i586.rpmPreparing... ########################################### [100%] package wireless-tools-27-0.pre23.2mdk is already installed[root@localhost lea3792]# rpm -ihv wlandetect-0.3-1mdk.noarch.rpmPreparing... ########################################### [100%] 1:wlandetect ########################################### [100%][root@localhost lea3792]#I hope this helps, oh by the way you wanted to remind you I sshouls remove "MAIN" sourse. I sure hope this has it. Respectfully Lea

Congrats Lea . . . Those are installed !!!! ;) B) . . . Now Julia can take it from here on because I know zilz about wifi.:) BrunoPS: But the MAIN source . . . Menu --> System --> Configuration --> Configure Your Computer ( MCC ) --> Sotware Management --> Media Manager . . . . . . . select the MAIN source and press the "remove" button . . . . . . That is all :) :unsure:

Ok Lea, here goes:1. Go into your Mandrake Control Center (start -->Configure your computer --> Mandrake Control Center)2. Go to the Network Section. 3. Click on Add network connection4. See if it will find yoru driver. Just click through each step.5. If succssful and it works great. If not:$root<password>#iwconfig eth0 (1 if you have a regular lan card too) mode Managed (if running without WEP configuration)#iwconfig eth0 or eth1 (insert next number here) essid (1)<insert the name of your home network here - default if you have not changed it>Then see if it will connect. Good Luck! B)

Guest lea3792

Well Julia I went through all of the instructions, I did it every which way and still a no go. The first set of instruction I went through just gave me the opstion of manual configuration and when I went to load the driver it went so fast that it returned me to " load drivers manually" . I did that several times hoping I was going something wrong. When that would'nt work I went to the next set of instructions and it stated " eth0 (1) it said no wireless extensions. What are your thoughts.RespectfullyLea

Hi folks, I stumbled across this thread while looking up something else. Thought I could contribute, since I've just gone through everything Lea has and more with wireless and Mandrake. In short, "Here Be Dragons" if it doesn't work automatically. :-) Wireless networking in Linux, especially Wireless-G, is still quite primitive. It works, and works well; that's not the primitive part, don't get me wrong there. But frequently it has to be done manually. Firstly, Linksys uses the Broadcom chipset and they will not support Linux. The control of the radio transmission is in the software driver, not the hardware chip, and to fall in line with FTC regulations, Broadcom is not releasing any information that could be used to write a Linux driver. There are a couple of solutions, however. Firstly, sell the card to a Windows user. Secondly, use a wrapper around the Windows driver to get it working in Linux. There are commercial wrappers: http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/?PHPS...e817bbc2671c1fc and open source wrappers: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net Ok, Lea said s/he bought a Linux compatible wireless card. Good stuff. Unfortunately, as s/he noticed, s/he's not out of the woods yet. First, we have to find out what wireless chipset it's using. Then we have to get the right driver for that chipset. Some drivers need a separate HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) firmware module loaded, as well, which may need to be obtained independently of the driver. (The HAL contains the controls regulated by the FTC for the radio communications of the wireless card. It's closed source so that folks can't tinker with it. Well, that's the theory anyway. :-) After that, it's a simple (Hah!) matter of configuring the wireless interface and then connecting to your wireless network. OK, first steps. Put the wireless card in your laptop. From the console, run this command "/usr/bin/lspci". This will scan the PCI bus and report what it finds attached to the bus. Look for lines in the output with the phrase "Ethernet controller" in them and post them here. Mine says:02:00:0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01) This tells me that my PCMCIA network card has an Atheros chipset, which I knew already, because that is why I bought the card in the first place. Yours may well be different. It may say something like Prism, Intersil, or Orinoco. If it says Atheros, you're in luck as it has excellent Linux support and works great in Linux. For anyone interested, I bought my card at Costco the other week, marketed under the Blitzz brandname. But once you know the chipset on the network card, you then know which driver you need. If you should happen to have an Atheros-based card, you'll want the madwifi driver (http://madwifi.sourceforge.net). If you have a Prism-based card, Mandrake already has the necessary prism54 driver in the default install, but you'll have to get & load the required HAL firmware module (http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/). There is a chance that Mandrake has already detected your card correctly and has loaded a driver for it. To check for that, how about listing all the drivers that are loaded on your system, with the wireless card attached? To do that, run this command from the console " /sbin/lsmod" or "/sbin/lsmod | less" if the output is more than one page (use the spacebar or the up/down arrows to go through the list) and post the results here. If the list is lengthy, we're not interested in any lines starting "snd -", "ipv6", "gameport", "floppy", "ide -", "cdrom", "loop", "nls_", "via-", "agpgart", "usb", "ext2 or 3" or "loop"; you can safely edit those out. If you see "prism54" in the output, go to the prism54.org URL I gave earlier and follow the instructions there for downloading and installing the firmware. Once the chipset is identified, the correct driver & firmware module (if necessary) loaded, then configuration of the network interface (eth1, ath0 or perhaps wlan0) can take place. Be aware that eth0 is likely to be your on-board wired network card. Unfortunately, there's a darn good chance that I'm going to forget about writing all this and this forum five minutes after sending off this post. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. :-) If you want more help or any follow-up from me, I suggest that you also email me (linux@myrealbox.com). While all the above might seem intimidating to a newcomer, the good news is that once things are configured and up & running, it'll work really well and you can just forget about it. :-) The other good news is that you can relax, it's really not that hard (says he, looking down the learning curve. :-) Welcome to the Light Side of The Force. :-)--Cheers,Rob

Rob Thanks for posting. We are going through in babysteps here. However, this gives me some good ideas about a few different ways to go along in setting it up. I was not aware that Linksys does not have compatibility. I use D-Link so I could not discover this.

I did that several times hoping I was going something wrong. When that would'nt work I went to the next set of instructions and it stated  " eth0 (1) it said no wireless extensions. What are your thoughts.RespectfullyLea
LeaIf you have eth0 in use by your lan connection then you would use "eth1" next. If that doesn't work then try wlan0.

Guest lea3792

Yo Frogger I hope this helpsroot@localhost lea3792]# /sbin/lsmodModule Size Used byi830 74516 2binfmt_misc 8744 1md5 3584 1speedstep-lib 3364 0rfcomm 32348 0l2cap 19876 5 rfcommbluetooth 39076 4 rfcomm,l2capnd-intel8x0,snd-ac97-codec,snd-pcm,snd-timer,snd-mpu401-uart,snd-rawmidi,snd-seq-devicesoundcore 7008 1 sndaf_packet 16072 2ds 17572 2yenta_socket 18624 1pcmcia_core 59972 2 ds,yenta_socketthermal 9928 0tc1100-wmi 5028 0processor 13736 1 thermalfan 2756 0button 4624 0battery 7044 0ac 3204 0eth1394 17000 0eepro100 26316 0mii 4224 1 eepro100ohci1394 30788 0ieee1394 292056 2 eth1394,ohci1394sd_mod 19232 0scsi_mod 104044 2 sd_mod,usb-storageintel-agp 19584 1nvram 6856 0evdev 7648 1ehci-hcd 26244 0uhci-hcd 28752 0usbcore 103172 5 usb-storage,ehci-hcd,uhci-hcdjbd 49080 1 ext3

Guest lea3792

02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801BD PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet Contr oller (rev 83)03:00.0 Network controller: RaLink Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card (rev 01)Here is the other info.RespectfullyLeaOh by the way Julia I tried using wlan0(1) and it did'nt workLea

eepro100              26316  0mii                    4224  1 eepro100
From this I can tell a few things. You have a network card that is an eepro100. You don't appear to have any other hardware I can see that can be configured as a wireless. It looks pretty much how mine does except I show a prism2_usb which is my USB wireless support. I have built in wireless that is the atheros: ‎AR5213 802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter. It does not show up this way and I can not format itt. I suspect that is significant.I can tell you that we have not tried the wireless-network route and that did not work so now we will try the wlan support route.I still neeed to know if you are trying to run encrypted or not. Do you know? Have yout yped in your router IP and looked to see how things are configured?: I am not sure if Linksys is the same but for my DLink I type http://192.168.1.0 and that pulls up my router administration where I can cllick on the wireless button and check it all out.

> 03:00.0 Network controller: RaLink Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card (rev 01)Bingo! Your PCMCIA network card is using the RT2500 chip from RaLink. There is a GPL Linux driver for it. Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/rt2400 (no, that is not a typo) and download the rt2500 package. The file will be called rt2500-1.0.0.tar.gz. This file is source code for the rt2500 driver and utilities. It needs to be compiled & installed. Unfortunately, it's a beta driver and there seems to be some problems with it. I tried it and had problems compiliing. A novice stands no chance from this point, on his/her own. If it were my card that I was trying to get working, I'd now be participating in the beta program and helping to find the bugs and test the driver. If you wish to proceed from this point with this card, I suggest that you get a local linux expert/programmer to help you. I'm a linux expert but not a programmer, so can't debug the compile problems. My advice to you, if you can't get expert local support, would be to replace the card with one based upon the Prism54 chip. The SMC2835W card is such a card; I have one and it works really well with linux. Mandrake has most (but not all, unfortunately) of the necessary support out of the box. PCMCIA cards based upon the Atheros chip are also well supported, but require driver source code (madwifi.sourceforge.net) download and compilationTeacher: the interface for a RaLink card will be ra0. The compile failed with makefile inconsistencies.

From this I can tell a few things. You have a network card that is an eepro100.  You don't appear to have any other hardware I can see that can be configured as a wireless.  It looks pretty much how mine does except I show a prism2_usb which is my USB wireless support.  I have built in wireless that is the atheros:  ?AR5213 802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter.  It does not show up this way and I can not format itt.  I suspect that is significant.I can tell you that we have not tried the wireless-network route and that did not work so now we will try the wlan support route.I still neeed to know if you are trying to run encrypted or not.  Do you know?  Have  yout yped in your router IP and looked to see how things are configured?:  I am not sure if Linksys is the same but for my DLink I type http://192.168.1.0 and that pulls up my router administration where I can cllick on the wireless button and check it all out.
Teacher sez:> I have built in wireless that is the atheros: ?AR5213 802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter.> It does not show up this way and I can not format itt. Teacher, download the madwifi driver from http://madwifi.sourceforge.net. Compile and install it. The driver will be called ath_pci and the interface will be called ath0. Use the Mandrake Control Centre to configure it after installing the driver. I found that ath0 wasn't being successfully brought up while booting if I was using WEP encryption on the router. I traced this down to a missing statement in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0. It turns out that the Control Center didn't put the wireless key into the config script. Or maybe I didn't have WEP enabled when I configured the card. If this should happen to you, ensure that you have a "WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=<your WEP key>" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0.

Guest lea3792
Teacher sez:> I have built in wireless that is the atheros: ?AR5213 802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter.> It does not show up this way and I can not format itt.  Teacher, download the madwifi driver from http://madwifi.sourceforge.net.  Compile and install it. The driver will be called ath_pci and the interface will be called ath0.  Use the Mandrake Control Centre to configure it after installing the driver.   I found that ath0 wasn't being successfully brought up while booting if I was using WEP encryption on the router.  I traced this down to a missing statement in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0.  It turns out that the Control Center didn't put the wireless key into the config script. Or maybe I didn't have WEP enabled when I configured the card. If this should happen to you, ensure that you have a "WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=<your WEP key>" in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0.

Guest lea3792

Good evening Julia, Bruno and FroggerFirst to Julia- I am using WEP But every body else in my family can sign on ( They are using windows machine ) Frogger- I down loaded the drivers from the web address you provided. This address makes for some very interesting reading. Talk to you soon.RespectfullyLea

Good morning Bruno, I would like to say yes but I am afraid not, any thoughts???

Oh . . sorry I must have miss-interpreted you post . . . . . and was celebrating to early I guess.Me, I am all wired :) . . . . have no clue about wifi . . . . so I will leave you in the hands of the experts ! Just hold on, I am sure they will get you hooked up :)B) Bruno

To successful go through all of this you really must turn the WEP off. After you have it working, then you can successfully add WEP back in. :) I will post a script when I get home for adding WEP and everything that you can try. I need time to do it so it must wait until I am home late tonight (for me anyway)

I have played with that and madwifi. Neither with any luck. I get through about 10 steps or so and then I can not find the right extension on windows. Of course, you have to have the windows file to use ndiswrapper.

If you don't have the windows driver you might get away with the inf file on the CD that came with the card..not really the greatest option, I agree..

Below is from the install Instructions... Again the INF , I think all win drivers are inf files(could be wrong.but I think they are. The file from the linksys card CD isn't the best option, but tracking it down on the win disk isn't much fun either...(plus you come up with a boatload of INF files on search,,and some time the driver name doesn't really fit ...when I did my last laptop I guess you could Google WinXP name for wireless drivers...Last time I did this..I got lucky after only searching through most of the Dang drivers on the Disk(was a very long night..LOL)Unpack the Windows driver with unzip/cabextract/unshield tools and find out the INF file (i.e., file with .INF or .inf extension) and SYS file (i.e., file with .SYS or .sys extension). If there are multiple INF/SYS files, you may look in the List if there are any hints about which of them should be used. Make sure the INF file, SYS file and any BIN files (for example, TI drivers use BIN firmware files) are all in one directory. Now use "ndiswrapper" tool to install the driver withndiswrapper -i filename.infThe good thing about the Linksys card CD is that the INF file is usually in the driver folder and they may only have 1 or 2 to 3 id set up for say win98, W2K WinXP etc.

Edited by BarryB