New kid in the Red Hat

Jeber

No, friends, I haven't fully embraced the "other side"...it's more like I'm straddling the fence. My Toshiba laptop is now a dual-boot system of WinXP and Red Hat 9.0. Installation was a breeze compared to past attempts with SuSE. All hardware recognized. No damage to my Win partitions. Dual-boot option works properly.But I do have one immediate question (with the option of 4725 follow-ups to be posted later)...does anyone out there have Roxio Go Back on their Windows partition...or does anyone know...if I can safely go ahead and re-enable Go Back on the Windows partition without messing with the Linux partition. As much of Go Back's function takes place at boot up, and it's a registry monitoring program as well...so you see my concern.Good gawd...another whole forum to read in full...you guys slow that postin' down for a bit, will ya? ;)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• Jeber

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations JeberWe all claimed to straddle the fence for a while. Welcome to where all the action is! You won't be able to stop yourself form posting. Just wait and see. But you don't need to do 5000 posts - just 1 or 2 or 1000! ;)

Congrats Jeber !! What a nice surprise to see you here with your Hat under your arm ! Welcome my friend !- Installation was a breeze - you said . . that is what we keep saying here . . it´s easy ;)About the ¨Go Back's function¨ , I´m sure a few XP users over here can give you that answer, but first: let´s celebrate !;) Bruno

Joy - I am surprised at you! Wanting to push people off fences. ;) We don't want him to get hurt do we? I figure he will be jumping just as soon as he has time to play a while. No persuasion necessary. :D

No, no, not yet! ;) There are still too many programs and applications over on the XP side for me to get off the fence. That's why a dual-boot is perfect for me. No committment. How like a guy! :D

;) He's still got Windows on part of that machine and he's also asked a Window's related question in a Linux forum, I say push him off!

No committment.  How like a guy!  :D
You said it yourself. What can we add? Soon enough, soon enough.By the way, I was trying to explain to a friend that these were all normal people on the forum last night, then she saw your avatar. ;)

We wouldn't dream of letting him get hurt. Isn't that what the forum is here for? To make the landing soft? How can you get hurt with such great friends around? ;)

Hey, now...I didn't ask a Windows question here! ;) I asked a linux question regarding a Windows app. See the diference in emphasis? I don't want linux damaged by a Windows program. Man, Bruno, what have you got going on in here? Looks like a gang of frustrated cow tippers to me. :D I'm going to bed now. Talk amongst yourselves. Schmoozle. :D

Man, Bruno, what have you got going on in here?  Looks like a gang of frustrated cow tippers to me.  ;)
They are hard enough to keep in line Jeber, tell me about it ! :D ( sleepless nights I have :) ):D Bruno

I am not even going to try to figure out what you meant. ;) We just thought you would not stay on the fence long. No one ever does. They always jump! :D (Not always to our side either). Glad you know which partition to worry about. I don't think Windows can hurt Linux because it can't see it! By the way, Linux does not use the registry. There should not be any entries there to show you have done anything to your computer. About the only thing it could see is that you have less hard drive space. Should it goof up Linux in some strange way, just do a reinstall! Practice makes perfect.

JeberGo Back will be fine with the dualboot (if I am correct it's (Go Back)processes don't don't start til the reg hive look so it be ok and like restore it saves data markers not partion image , so your good to go there...and welcome to the Linux fun Bunch!!...Glad you had a good install with REDHAT!!!!!!!!!!

nlinecomputers

Jeber,GoBack alters the boot partition to put its code in. I think you can load Goback but if your using Lilo or grub as your boot loader it will get clobbered by goback and you will not be able to load Linux except from a boot floppy.

OnlineI believe your right....had to do some rethinking and checking on the booting process....with Grub and Lilo.Thanks for bring that up..kinda was thinking along the lines of 3rd party boot mamagers like Boot Magic.

Barry,If ¨Goback¨ restores the MBR to windows state, why then not boot RH from a floppy and put either Grub or Lilo back on it´s place ?For Lilo the command is: /sbin/liloFor Grub the command: grub-install /dev/hdaJeber,Grub and Lilo are the two most used bootloaders for Linux, RedHat makes by default use of Grub, so if you´re ever in troubles ( or after a ¨Goback¨ ). . . boot from a floppy ( hope you made one, you do need one for emergencies ) and simply restore Grub with the magic command: ¨grub-install /dev/hda¨:rolleyes: Bruno

SonicDragon
By the way, I was trying to explain to a friend that these were all normal people on the forum last night, then she saw your avatar. 
LOL! :rolleyes: ;) :)

nlinecomputers

Bruno,Because it doesn't put it back into a "windows" state. It puts it into a "Goback" state. If you restore a standard MBR using FDISK /MBR on a goback installed machine you will not be able to boot. Goback alters the boot partition to place a restore partition on the computer. So it puts its own custom boot loader in the MBR. It isn't very flexable and the modified partitions are not standard partitions. FDISK will show then as non-dos partitions and you can't boot from a floppy if the MBR is dorked up. This is why Goback should be avoided like the snake oil it is. Standard drive recovery methods and tools are unable to access the data. If you loose your MBR, say to phyiscal damage, you loose the drive.Jeber,I would not use Bruno's advise here. I don't think it will work because of the non-standard methods used by Goback.

Ok correct me if I'm wrong, But I thought that if booting from a floppy the HD boot doesn't matter..it is bypassed ....also regardless of the Go Back Partion..a new MBR would be wriiten to the first sector..leading to the Win or Linux boots ...or am I missing something here..or does Go Back clobber to MBR so bad it can't be over-written without affecting the Win Partitions.. This is just for my edification

Jeber, can't help you yet, on "GoBack" (still awaiting a response), but I did get this for you:redhat.jpgWelcome to Linux, and Congratulations !!!

Quint...Nice Graphic..Would look great on a tee-shirt.... ;) You ever noticed when somebody installs linux..some of us act like it is akin to the birth of a New Baby!!! :rolleyes: :) :)

Quint...Nice Graphic..Would look great on a tee-shirt.... :D You ever noticed when somebody installs linux..some of us act like it is akin to the birth of a New Baby!!! :rolleyes:  :)  :)
Barry, :) Good one... ;) :) Jeber, Might make a nice avatar. :D

Jeber,1. Make a concise backup of Windows.2. Make a boot floppy for RH - I'm sure someone here will be able to walk you thru the steps.3. Use a bootdisk [ http://bootdisk.com/ ] and run FDISK/ MBR 4. System should boot directly to Windows5. Install Go Back6. Test RH floppySource: A firend of mine who works for Symantec tech. support which now provides support for Go Back. Last words out of his mouth " If it were my system I wouldn't do it without a prior image of the hard disk."Barry B - Boy or Girl? :rolleyes:

Ya know looking at the graphic..I'm thinking boy :) ....Maybe because of the low brimed Redhat :) ..kinda of that Macho gangster look... ;) :rolleyes:

nlinecomputers
Ok correct me if I'm wrong, But I thought that if booting from a floppy the HD boot doesn't matter..it is bypassed ....also regardless of the Go Back Partion..a new MBR would be wriiten to the first sector..leading to the Win or Linux boots ...or am I missing something here..or does Go Back clobber to MBR so bad it can't be over-written without affecting the Win Partitions.. This is just for my edification
Goback doesn't use windows partitions it converts your drive into a GoBack Partition. It uses a method simular to the way a drive overlay works. If you boot from a floppy the Goback overlay isn't loaded and you can't see your windows partitions. You have to have a goback boot disk or you have to let the driver load off the hard disk and then boot from floppy. On the Goback boot screen you'll have an option for boot from floppy. Also here is one more thing against this method. If you use GoBack and manage to boot Linux off of a floppy Linux will be unable to see your Windows partittions. One of the great benifits of using Linux is the fact that it can read from FAT,FAT32, and NTFS drives. It will not happen with GoBack.