Capt.Crow's woes. A thread of my linux mistakes and solutions that

Capt.Crow

Last night (after motorboating for a week of so ) the sound positively refused to co-operate. Tried a lot of stuff to get the audio back on the desktop. No way would it do its thing . So as it was way past my sleep mode I took out the biggest hammer I could find.*synaptic*Logged on and d/loaded every Pulse file I could find . Installed and rebooted. Still nothing . So somehow after going into zombie mode I started rooting around in the file system . Opened GNOME MPlayer and fiddled about a bit suddenly there it was,A little red X beside a speaker icon . Clicked it and it went away . Restarted the desktop and lo and behold the great one in the file system granted me sounds and audio again .

I gave up circa 50Mb of precious hard drive space .But it was worth it .

I wish I could remember the path I took ,I tried to retrace my steps again today , no way .

Strange thing about the human brain .When the solution to a problem is imperative it seem to run on automatic .

• Like 1

I wish I could remember the path I took ,I tried to retrace my steps again today , no way .

In Synaptic, File > History.

• Like 2

Had a look there . Good for having a look at the Synaptic history . As noted .Now I have to find the user history so the maze I somehow got through will be revealed .

• 2 weeks later...

I found a very old HP lazerjet 4000T with no toner cartridge put out of an office building some years ago. Some time later I took a punt and paid 30euro for 27A 10000 page cartridge . At first I just could not get it to work so put it away. Today I got it out again and paralleled it to my Debian machine. I had a look in the os anfd found a tweeking program. So I tweeked about a bit ,then tried it out . couldn't believe it when it started up and printed a test page . So in for a penny in for a pound . I dug out a PDF file and that printed too . All in the nick of time as the 4050 has been glitchy for the last six months or so .

Conclusion:- while it may be an older printer it is far superior in the speed quietness and quality of the printed text .

there must be billions of $ worth of no-fault equipment consigned to the waste tips all around the so called enlightened nations .

The world is overloaded with "rich" DORKS. Small wonder there are so many struggling on starvation incomes .

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Sometimes older is gooder. I have my brother's old HP Laserjet IV out in the shop. It's in pristine condition, but needs a toner cartridge. One day when I have money, I'll buy one. This ol' Laserjet printed fast (12ppm) in super-high quality.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well a lot of the issue is finding compatible parts for older hardware. The companies tend to not make things like toner cartridges and compatible anymore. Heck, nowadays they even hardcode expiration dates and signature on ink so you cannot use third party ink and parts.

• Like 1

Getting harder and harder to hook up this legacy stuff. I have a parallel port header on my motherboard so I guess I could find a bracket and cable to hook up a parallel printer. Fortunately most of my old junk printers can hook up via USB as well.

• Like 1

Well a lot of the issue is finding compatible parts for older hardware.

I just bought a toner cartridge for my LaserJet 1220--close to $100 :'( but it will probably last me 3+ years. Did not try any of the "non-HP" alternatives as I've read reports that people have bad luck with them and it's only a savings of about $30. I wonder if they'll be available next time I need one.
  • Like 1

I think the reason I got the toner so handy is the guy in the shop may have thought it was so obsolete that he would just be lucky to get the 30 bucks instead of having to put it in the recycle stock bin . I does have the HP sticker on it .

• Like 1

securitybreach

I think the reason I got the toner so handy is the guy in the shop may have thought it was so obsolete that he would just be lucky to get the 30 bucks instead of having to put it in the recycle stock bin . I does have the HP sticker on it .

Nice :thumbsup: