Capt.Crow's woes. A thread of my linux mistakes and solutions that

Capt.Crow

Cluttermagnet

Running a 'consumer grade' OS like Linux Mint makes it pretty easy. On pretty much every piece of hardware I own, a dozen or more platforms, the PrtScn key just works. Press the key, a dialog window pops up. Tell it a name for your screen grab and where to put it. Presto, graphic created. Then you can open gimp and photo edit to your heart's content. Crop it down, etc. Then post it to Imgur, which was a great suggestion on Josh's part. I just started using Imgur and like it a lot.

Honestly, you guys with your arch and slackware sometimes remind me of that scene in the movie Animal House- the 'other' fraternity's initiation rites. Whack! Thank you sir, may I have another? Whack! (etc.) :hysterical:

No, seriously, I do admire folks who compile their own OS. I've been too lazy to learn. :sorcerer: :medic: :worthy:

• Like 3

I believe the whole idea behind Linux ,is one dosn't side step problems ,lateral thinking is fine and workarounds cool. The first and foremost thing is community and the interaction laid bare for all to see. Novice and maestro alike . PrSc is a dead banana on this system for a while . In the meantime The gimp is coming along .

• Like 3

Has anyone used "multistrap"....Trying to find out how to get rid of "foreign architure" This broken junk is stopping me install stuff. Always getting error code 2.

used rm to get rid of the old adobe .. Maybe it gone maybe not . If not will use "shred"

Finding bigger weapons all the time . Wageing war on bugs :devil: :devil: :devil:

Well I've just discovered that the last entry in>///var/log/dpkg.log< was on the 2014.04.29. Something smells a bit off there.

That as I remember was when I tried to install Skype.... So it looks like it's back to the manuals and try to repair dkpg.

I have been over on LQ looking for the answers . No luck yet .

Adobe flashplugin :- I've been wondering if I can install Palemoon will flah work in well with that .

Palemoon is now d/lded to /usr/home. unpacked and I've got the pminstaller.sh Now everytime I try to install I get

>Authorisation required<>Please enter your password< in a popup box. Neither my root nor user passwords satisfy

this requirement. Does one have to get some password from the Palemoon site . I have even tried it on Root terminal .

Still no movement .

I've just read the intro page . It really looks interesting . Bookmarked for future research. Good link Thank you .

Depending on your broadband speed you could be up and running within the hour. :devil: :whistling:

• Like 1

This desktop has no room for another OS. The Dell I normally use for watching movies is on the blink ,graphics wise, and it only has Microkarp on it so as I get the time I will bring that on line .

• 2 months later...
Capt.Crow

Update:- After an attack of whiskey fingers the others night I couldn't get the shut down to shut it down .I deleted the taskbar instead of closing a web page. So (humble pie swallowed whole) pressed and held in the box button until it complied . Soooooo crazy.

However today I started it up in recovery mode and with a little bit of fiddling around I have the box working again . But not totally restored to it's pristine condition.

I cannot get .the clock nor the earcandy volume control back .other things like nepomuk neither . but they are not so important . The main thing is the KDE quick launch is intact.

Two hours rooting in the online man pages gives me a new wealth of info . But sadly I cannot find the specifics that I require .

Actually the mouse which has a lot less bodyweight was totally squiffo .I was not too legless to make it down from the loft and into the crib without rousing the household . But that drunken lout of a mouse certainly created havoc with my desktop. :whistling:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Isn't that mouse a bit young to be imbibing? Are you contributing to the delinquency of a minor mouse?

sad-mickey.jpg

• Like 3

I cannot get .the clock nor the earcandy volume control back .other things like nepomuk neither . but they are not so important . The main thing is the KDE quick launch is intact.

Sounds like you have removed your "System Tray".

• Like 3

securitybreach

If that is the case, Right click desktop, Add widgets, find system tray item, drag-n-drop onto your panel somewhere.

• Like 2

If that is the case, Right click desktop, Add widgets, find system tray item, drag-n-drop onto your panel somewhere.

Awww, I wanted to leave a bit of a challenge. ;)

• Like 1

Capt.Crow

Found the system tray in the swamp. Hosed it down

Stuck a few badges on it.

It works. .

It's not where i;s supposed to be looks really ugly ,but I will pretty it up later.

Now get seated securely ....This minute I;m stuck crawling along o the worst OS ever .That and the notebook conspire to frustrate and create hot keys willi nilly.

Why ? well it;s the only way I can get out o n this <E3272> huawei broadband dongle

I've had a look in it;s files and they're written in a very obscure English ... .Has to be installed by root .

Tried the term . I can cd to the install files .But for the life of me I just cannot get the syntax right . to install the rotten thing . on Debian . Yet again the Crow is feeling really SKEWPIT!!!

And the tiny screen on this thing sure don;t help any .

Unlock Widgets and click on the cashew, now you can drag panel items to wherever you want.

For your dongle woes, I have no experience with them. Try here -

https://wiki.debian.org/Modem/3G

It appears some are supported out of the box, and others require a little config change. Hope yours is one of the easy ones! On the plus side, I've heard Huawei are one of the better supported brands.

Also try searching http://forums.debian.net/ . Hint, search that forum works best with Google eg.

huawei broadband dongle site:http://forums.debian.net/

• Like 1

At long last I have Slackware installed and good enough to get on the net . I am a very happy chappie. Even got a queasy broadband modem and ISP. to work well. It's been a longish hack for me .But I really have to thank Eric for his silent encouragement,

I will never forget all the information so well presented on Dugan Chan's homepage,When it came down to it ,desperation was the main driver .

I am happy to announce that I am a new Slacker now . Yipee

• Like 1

Hokey/kokey:- This is a sharp learning curve. I've broken just about everything on the system today. The boot in. The browser . And just about 50% of everything else. The worst of it was Firefox and Konqueror crashing and the system not posting through to login. System freezing. Everytime it froze I just stuck in the install iso and when that gave up (blinking cursor,black screen)

I gave up nearly.

I resolved the browser problem by installing Seamonkey.Lilo sorted itself out after a few restarts.

So here we are again (I always knew Slackware was virtually bullet proof) I maybe have problems through lack of swap part and 504Mb of ram.

Tomorrow I am going to order the Slackbook and dvd's from the Slackstore.com.....

I will then boot and suit correctly..

I got a Huawei E3272 LTE usb stick. It speeds along the surf , But no way can I install it on Debian. *no netmanager* and Sagis will not push it either .

Not really fussed as It works on all 4 of the other machines here.

Still I kinda miss the old desktop .

abarbarian

At long last I have Slackware installed and good enough to get on the net . I am a very happy chappie. Even got a queasy broadband modem and ISP. to work well. It's been a longish hack for me .But I really have to thank Eric for his silent encouragement,

I will never forget all the information so well presented on Dugan Chan's homepage,When it came down to it ,desperation was the main driver .

I am happy to announce that I am a new Slacker now . Yipee

You will soon be able to play with a real os like Arch grasshopper. o:)

Seriously though.. Well done on the install, I am too much of a wimp to try being a slacker. :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well Slackware has kept me busy the last few days. Found out some simple things I never knew before . One was how to uncomment a mirror. More important is the way to access these files for editing . SU wont get you there . So all is now up dated upgraded and up for grabs.

Seamonkey is a tad slower than I'm used to and crashes now and then. Don't have the file/edit/about/etc toolbars up yet.Everything else is good.

I put another 512mb ram into the extra slot. But it's only showing 736Mb of the total of 2x512. Cpu is running way up at the top of it's range and memory is really getting soaked up by some little weevil .

No swap partition really isn't helping. perhaps using the huge.s Kernal untrimmed is another flaw in this scenario.

Any day now this Amilo is going to have it's windows *broken,swept up and dumped in the bin forever*

A clean sweep and a whole new fresh *as the morning dew*install of Slackware 14.?

How would you divi up 40Gb. :shrug:

• Like 1

abarbarian
How would you divi up 40Gb. :shrug:

Either would not bother or 10GB for /root and 30GB for /home or 28GB /home and 2GBswap. :breakfast:

securitybreach

Yeah 40gb is way too small for anything nowadays. I use that much just for my / partition, then 32gb for swap and the rest for /home

As I'm not a great mover and shaker on the net . So a huge HD is not really needed ,a few photos ,couple of progs. bookmarks and maybe some d/loaded info. 10for root is sensible 2swap ,then maybe split the rest 60/40 for home and logic.

All the heavy stuff goes via stick or rw to other boxes which are never on the net .

My main thing is to get movie streaming off to a fine art . Yep the truth is out :-I'm a movie and TV serial fanatic.

securitybreach
split the rest 60/40 for home and logic.

I know what /home is but what is "logic" ? :fish:

Perhaps, logical partition but I do not know how that would applicable.