Problems connecting with Ubuntu

SueD

Hi All.Last week I installed Ubuntu. Installation went fine till I had to configure my PPPoE. After a few days of frustration, I realized it was an error on my part. Once things worked out, I found I can't connect automatically and must sudo pon dsl-provider every time I boot up. Fine, I can live with that.However, that doesn't always work. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?Please explain or ask me questions in the simplest terms possible. I'm an average user but my technical knowledge is pretty bad. Thank you.:)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• steel

• Urmas

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Sue,First, a "dumb question": when you ran PPPoE, did you tell it to connect automagically upon booting? Also: did you run PPPoE with or without "sudo"? "Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't." When it doesn't, what have you done next? Rebooted? Have you tried "poff" first, then "pon dsl-provider"?Lots of questions, I know... I haven't had problems with this... just waiting for the cavalry to arrive.Oh... you might want to check what's in your /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file. Open the terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
Enter your (Ubuntu) password, and the file opens in Gedit text editor.Ignore the commented (starting with #) lines... go to the end... there ought to be a line:
"your (net) user name" * "your (net) password"
Look kosher?

When I set up to connect, I did sudo pppoeconf. I did tell it to connect automatically but it didn't work so that's why I have to sudo pon dsl-provider. When it doesn't work, I plog and it says a few things including connection terminated. I haven't tried poff. I usually try a few times, try rebooting a twice then get frustrated and reboot in XP.LOL I think I understand what you're saying but I'm just on my way out and will have to get to this later. Thanks for your reply.

...then get frustrated and reboot in XP.
That won't do! B) :)
After a few days of frustration...
Methinks that's the issue here (baaad stuff in some file -- how's that for precise definition?)... we'll see what the others (read: those who know their schitt) have to say. :o

Hi SueDI am wondering how you connect tot the internet . . . . ( adsl ? modem ? router ? etc. )Because I see all there weird commands I never saw before:

sudo pon dsl-provider.plogpoff
Also I wonder what happens if you run Ubuntu "Live" . . . do you have to do all these things to connect as well ?And . . . is the command "netconfig" that we use in other distros not valid in Ubuntu ?B) BrunoPS: From what I read pon and poff are dial-up commands ??http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/lin.../index_101.html

And . . . is the command "netconfig" that we use in other distros not valid in Ubuntu ?B) BrunoPS: From what I read pon and poff are dial-up commands ??http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/lin.../index_101.html
"netconfig"... no such command.And... pon&poff work for me, too (although I have no use for them... I connect automatically when booting)... I have an Ethernet cabled "HomePNA connection".

I have an Ethernet cabled "HomePNA connection".
See, that is a Linux friendly connection B) . . . . I am beginning to think SueD maybe has an USB ADSL modem ( and that is why it is needed to dial-in on the ADSL account ) . . . . let us see what the next post will tell us.B) Bruno

i bet you are getting no such command because you did not sudo to run it. ;)
Me sudo even my morning coffee, B) No such command.Bruno:
See, that is a Linux friendly connection
B) :) :rant: :rant: :rant:
sudo gedit /etc/modules

When in there, add the following:

eth0 homepna=1pcnet32 homepna=1

Save changes. Next, in Terminal:

sudo modprobe pcnet32 pcnet32_homepna=1depmod -a

Re-effin'-boot.Annnnd - phhhewww:

pppoeconf

... from THERE it was easy (when you had zero experience with Linux). :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Edited by Urmas

Are you serious ?? That is a real pain !I never have to do anything absolutely nothing ( nor in Ubuntu ) to connect . . . my connection is always up by default when I install a distro or run a LiveCD, the CD finishes booting and I am connected automagically . . always, it never misses once !During install I tell it to use DHCP and that is all the installer wants to know and it does the job.B) Bruno

Thing is, the "eth" needs to be taught it is a "HomePNA device"... needs command line. No live didtros for me... I shoudn't complain... try PPTP HomePNA... like a locked drawer... with the key in the drawer. B)

Your format here is different that what I'm familiar with so I'll try to answer everything in this one post...My /etc/ppp/pap-secrets shows the last line as being kosher. That's good, right?LOLRight now I've got Ubuntu connected. It took a couple of tries and it finally succeeded. But it's got to be easier than this, right??? I had to sudo pon dsl-provider, then sudo poff dsl-provider then pon again before it finally worked.I don't think I'm using a USB ADSL modem. How would I know? I can tell you it's a D-Link DSL-300G ADSL Modem Generation II (that's what it says). I've been using it for over a year on XP and it never connected automatically there either. I couldn't connect with the Live CD either.And finally, is the sudo gedit /etc/modules for me to do???Just sign me Confused Canuck. B)

Hi SueCan you have a look in your /etc/resolv.conf ?? Because I think to understand that pon is trying to connect but fails in some way . . . most of the time this would be because of an invalid/empty /etc/resolv.conf file.You can see the file by giving the command "cat /etc/resolv.conf". You can read about the /etc/resolv.conf and what it should look like here: http://linuxmint.com/content/view/714/53/ ( see section "/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/resolv.conf.d/base" ):thumbsup: BrunoPS: An USB modem is connected to the USB port of your computer . . and Ethernet modem is connected to the Ethernet card. B)

... pon is trying to connect but fails in some way . . . most of the time this would be because of an invalid/empty /etc/resolv.conf file.You can see the file by giving the command "cat /etc/resolv.conf". You can read about the /etc/resolv.conf and what it should look like here: http://linuxmint.com/content/view/714/53/ ( see section "/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/resolv.conf.d/base" )
Yes... Sue writes:
I had to sudo pon dsl-provider, then sudo poff dsl-provider then pon again before it finally worked.
As if the computer had a ("failed") connection "on"... needs to be killed before a new connection can be attempted. B)

My cat /etc/resolv.conf shows... nameserver 209.87.239.20nameserver 204.187.144.34I looked at linuxmint.com and as I said in my first post, I'm technically challenged so I'm not quite sure I understand what it means.BTW, I had my usual problems this morning while connecting. Had to pon, then poff then pon again before I got a connection.My confusion about USB modems comes from the fact that I've never heard of one till this past week while doing a whack of researching my problems. Mine connects to my Ethernet card.

Hi SueCan you have a look in your /etc/resolv.conf ?? Because I think to understand that pon is trying to connect but fails in some way . . . most of the time this would be because of an invalid/empty /etc/resolv.conf file.You can see the file by giving the command "cat /etc/resolv.conf". You can read about the /etc/resolv.conf and what it should look like here: http://linuxmint.com/content/view/714/53/ ( see section "/etc/resolv.conf and /etc/resolv.conf.d/base" ):icon8: BrunoPS: An USB modem is connected to the USB port of your computer . . and Ethernet modem is connected to the Ethernet card. :thumbsup:
Yes... Sue writes:As if the computer had a ("failed") connection "on"... needs to be killed before a new connection can be attempted. B)
Ok, so how do I tell the computer to turn off the "failed" connection?

Ok, so how do I tell the computer to turn off the "failed" connection?
I'm not an expert with this... a "recent convert" just like you... but until someone comes with better ideas:1. Run pppoeconf again. It supposedly overwrites previous settings. Make sure you do "poff" before you run it.Done that already? Did it now and no help?2. Go to "Synaptic Package Manager" and install a package called "pppoe". You'll need to have addtitional repositories enabled; see here:http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.phpWhen "pppoe" is installed, it will detect the modifications you have made. It asks if you want it to replace the modified file(s) with its "default set". Allow it to do so. Now you can setup your connection either with "pppoe" or "pppoeconf".Didn't help, either? SKIP PART THREE UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE HAS PROVIDED IDEAS... BRIGHT OR OTHERWISE.3. If you haven't invested too much time and trouble in tweaking/pimping/modifying/decorating/etc. your system yet... wipe and reinstall. Skip the "After a few days of frustration, I realized it was an error" part. Go straight to pppoeconf and do "the net thing" right from scratch. :thumbsup: Edited by Urmas

from the Ubuntu forum Urmas linked to:

Woohoo! Thanks man! All I had to do was start pppoe and let xubuntu do all the configuring. At the end of the config, it gave the instructions to connect: to connect: pon dsl-provider to disconnect: poff for a status update: plog
Well that does indeed look easy enough ;):thumbsup: Bruno

I'm not an expert with this... a "recent convert" just like you... but until someone comes with better ideas:1. Run pppoeconf again. It supposedly overwrites previous settings. Make sure you do "poff" before you run it.Done that already? Did it now and no help?2. Go to "Synaptic Package Manager" and install a package called "pppoe". You'll need to have addtitional repositories enabled; see here:http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources.phpWhen "pppoe" is installed, it will detect the modifications you have made. It asks if you want it to replace the modified file(s) with its "default set". Allow it to do so. Now you can setup your connection either with "pppoe" or "pppoeconf".Didn't help, either? SKIP PART THREE UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE HAS PROVIDED IDEAS... BRIGHT OR OTHERWISE.3. If you haven't invested too much time and trouble in tweaking/pimping/modifying/decorating/etc. your system yet... wipe and reinstall. Skip the "After a few days of frustration, I realized it was an error" part. Go straight to pppoeconf and do "the net thing" right from scratch. :thumbsup:
Ok, I redid pppoeconf...things didn's work any better. Then I installed pppoe as you said to do...that just made things worse.LOL I could not connect at all, no matter what I did.Soooo, as frustrated as I was, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu from a different CD, just in case something was corrupt with my copy. Then I re-pppoeconf.Long story short, I'm back to having to pon, poff, pon again.Next idea?

Well, pon and poff seem to be the default trick in Ubuntu . . . . . and I am sure they know what they are doing.Back in the old days we had to edit the /etc/ppp/options, the /etc/ppp/peers, the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, the /etc/resolvconf, set the vpi/vci numbers of our isp and tweak a script that made the connection . . . . . These days I am spoiled with a super easy connection and that makes I quickly forgot about all those ppp config files.:thumbsup: Bruno

Next idea?
Next BRIGHT idea, you mean? :w00t: I think I'll let the others take it from here just now... if I come up with something better than "operation reinstall", I'll let you know.
Soooo, as frustrated as I was, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu from a different CD, just in case something was corrupt with my copy. Then I re-pppoeconf.
Have to say... you've got oomph. :thumbsup:

What do these commands do in Ubuntu:

$ sudo ifconfig eth0 down$ sudo ifconfig eth0 up$ sudo dhclient eth0

??Also can you show me the /etc/network/interfaces file ?? ( "cat /etc/network/interfaces" ):thumbsup: Bruno

Back in the old days we had to edit the /etc/ppp/options, the /etc/ppp/peers, the /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, the /etc/resolvconf, set the vpi/vci numbers of our isp and tweak a script that made the connection . . . . . These days I am spoiled with a super easy connection and that makes I quickly forgot about all those ppp config files.:w00t: Bruno
And to think I had trouble with DOS in 1990. That seemed like a whiz now.LOL
Have to say... you've got oomph. :thumbsup:
Nah, I'm just a stubborn old nanny goat.LOL

hi SueI just came across this thread, and i feel your pain ..... although there is a much much easier method to this madness.. what i use is RP-PPPoE...... if you dont want to edit everything by hand everytime you get online just click on rp and it acts like your windows xp, connect to the net thing.... its easy to setup and its gui if you dont like CL..... here is how to install it another method this giude to install other goodies thats the easiest way i know how to do it myself, hope it helps...

hi SueI just came across this thread, and i feel your pain ..... although there is a much much easier method to this madness.. what i use is RP-PPPoE...... if you dont want to edit everything by hand everytime you get online just click on rp and it acts like your windows xp, connect to the net thing.... its easy to setup and its gui if you dont like CL..... here is how to install it another method this giude to install other goodies thats the easiest way i know how to do it myself, hope it helps...
Yep Steel . . . RP-PPPoE looked like a good alternative to me too . . . I am glad you tested/used it so you can help Sue if needed. Good one ! :thumbsup:B) Bruno

Yep Steel . . . RP-PPPoE looked like a good alternative to me too . . . I am glad you tested/used it so you can help Sue if needed. Good one ! :thumbsup:B) Bruno
yeap Bruno i have used it myself on Slackware, vector, debian and ubuntu when i had ubuntu... and installed on a friends comp that the wanted to use Ubuntu but was struggling everytime he wanted to get online.. so i installed Rp on his ubuntu and he never had a connection problem again, and if you have to make any changes its so much easier for some using gui then cl ...

Thank you. The first method didn't work...when looking for http://frankandjacq.com/ubuntuguide/rp-pppoe-3.6.tar.gz I kept getting a 404 error. So, I tried method #2. I even rebooted after I refreshed the Gnome panel. I don't know why but it didn't work either. It looks like I may be stuck with pon, poff and pon again. And if that's the case, I may not be trying this for too much longer. My patience can only handle so much. B)

I may be stuck with pon, poff and pon again. And if that's the case, I may not be trying this for too much longer. My patience can only handle so much. B)
Hi SueI checked the site and your right the first one if down but here is the step by step...
wget -c http://easylinux.info/uploads/rp-pppoe-3.6.tar.gzsudo tar zxvf rp-pppoe-3.6.tar.gz -C /opt/sudo chown -R root:root /opt/rp-pppoe-3.6/

then you will have to edit the file like this

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/RP-PPPoE.desktop

and add all of this

[Desktop Entry]Name=RP-PPPoEComment=RP-PPPoEExec=gksudo /opt/rp-pppoe-3.6/go-guiIcon=Terminal=falseType=ApplicationCategories=Application;Network;

then save your file and you should see after in Applications -> Internet -> RP-PPPoE if you have any problems please make sure that your netowrk card is up and running ifconfig eth0also

Edit the "pap-secrets" file, inserting your proper user-ID and password.Install the file (or copy the relevant lines) to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.Your ISP may use CHAP authentication. In this case, add the line to/etc/ppp/chap-secrets.
also check or edit this other file
Edit /etc/ppp/pppoe.confThe file /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf contains configuration information for theDSL connection. You need to edit the following items:- Change ETH=eth1 to the correct Ethernet device for your modem. ( eth0 )- Change USER=bxxxnxnx@sympatico.ca to your proper DSL user-ID.Don't edit any of the other settings unless you're an expert.
do you have to set up your DNS or does your isp assign you one?if you have to edit then whatever you dns enter is you add it to your /etc/resolv.conf and should look like this
nameserver 204.101.251.1	nameserver 204.101.251.2

also

Also, MAKE SURE that /etc/ppp/options is EMPTY. The "pppoe-connect" scriptsupplies all required options on the command line; additional optionsin /etc/ppp/options may mess things up
i know in one of my distros i had the wrong /etc/resolv.conf enteries and it wouldnt let me connect..