Problems connecting with Ubuntu

SueD

Congradulation Sue!!!Steel is right btw:We are all following your adventure and learning in the process. Look at me still asking lots of question ( sometimes the same ones ) since a year and a half and I have never been slapped behind the head ( yet ). Keep up the good work and trying. We love you.Réjean
Thanks Réjean, that's a very nice thing to say. You fellas are so nice and helpful here (I looked through several posts before I finally posted), I think I'll be sticking around. :D After playing around with the Live CD, I decided to install PCLos just to give it a better try. So far, I'm liking what I see. And the best part is...it booted up and connected exactly like I wanted.LOLI love to learn new things and hopefully, I'll enjoy this journey.BTW, nice are Cape Breton is. Almost as nice as my home of PEI. :thumbsup:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SueD

• Bruno

• steel

• Urmas

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo, it worked! Thanks Bruno and Steel! This makes me a happy camper. :thumbsup: I'm going to go explore with this one, kick the tires, check how it handles on the road, etc., and if I like it, I may forget about Ubuntu and stick with this one.
Hurrrray !Glad you found a distro that makes less fuss of connecting :D . . . . . Hurray for PCLos !
After playing around with the Live CD, I decided to install PCLos just to give it a better try. So far, I'm liking what I see. And the best part is...it booted up and connected exactly like I wanted.LOL
That is perfect . . . . There are many around here that like PCLos, it's a great Distro !The main difference wit Ubuntu is that it uses the KDE desktop and that you have to "su" and give the root-password instead of "sudo" if you have to give a root command.What version did you install ? The 9.3a-Junior or the 9.2 ?Anyway . . . nice to see you happy ! . . . And thanks for not giving up trying . . and sticking around ! :thumbsup::P Bruno

Thanks Bruno for all your help. You and Steel were godsends. I'm a stubborn person and don't like to let something so trivial get the best of me but I must admit I was reaching the end of my rope. I'm not sure I would've continued for much longer without both of your encouragement.I installed the 9.3a Junior. So far I like it but I had to install Firefox. I'm not sure I like the look and feel of Kongueror. Besides, I'd been working with Fx for well over a year and I needed that familiar face/fox. I guess Ubuntu didn't like my modem/computer/me but I figured there had to be something out there that was right for me. This is a good start I think and one I will be happy to have taken.I'll be sticking around. I'm sure I'll have several more questions to ask if I can't find the answers in other posts. :thumbsup:

Hi SueYep the 9.3 junior is pretty basic and does only have the minimum of software pre-installed ( they wanted to keep the download small ) . . . . but if you open "Synaptics" ( the package manager ) you will find about 5000 extra packages for easy install ;)I suppose that is where you did get Firefox . . . . and if I were you I would go in and install a good few more goodies. There even is Gnome ( the desktop Ubuntu was using ) in the software sources and if you install "Gnome2" and "Gnome-desktop" you will have the choice at next reboot to login to KDE or Gnome.That is the advantage of a "basic" install: you can customize it exactly the way you want. :DAnyway . . . if you have anymore questions: don hesitate to ask them . . . after all that is why we are here for ;):thumbsup: Bruno

Great Job Sue, i knew you could of done it :) .... sorry i took a few days repling back i went camping, i will never learn not to camp in 90's weather :devil: :) ..... and as much as i love debian and debian based distros i have to admit that nothing comes close to the ease of using Pclos, thats why i always recommend Pclos, i wish that debian, and debian based distros would be as easy connecting to the net and doing some work as Pclos ... if you want a distro that has all the goodies that you will want and need and if you dont want to chase after all the plugins and doing alot of configuring by hand then you really cant beat Pclos... then after if you want more challenging and nerve wrecking and hair pulling and creating B) :hysterical: :rant: :rant: :locked: :locked: ... i could give you some names of some other distros :hysterical: ps I am glad that you didnt give up and your having fun with Pclos, its really a nice distro and only rpm based distro i will use on my computer myself ... Louis

... if you want a distro that has all the goodies that you will want and need and if you dont want to chase after all the plugins and doing alot of configuring by hand then you really cant beat Pclos... then after if you want more challenging and nerve wrecking and hair pulling and creating :devil: :) :) :locked: :hysterical: :hysterical: ... i could give you some names of some other distros B)
Heh heh...I'm a glutten for punishment so when I get bored with PCLos, I just may take you up on that offer. :locked: Thanks again Louis.