Colin IS now Suse OOPS though

kamicota

Hi Julia kelly AdamJust to let you know Suse is UP :icon8: :'( ;) and running BUT OOPS :D it is all on the total Hard driveSo Colin's at it AGAIN will be coming soon as WE look at installing another one or two reasonably stable distos such as Kubuntu or W.H.Y So advice will be Truly APPRECIATEDAnd EVEN if it means re installing Suse and Partioning the hard drive then so be itCheers for Yearsand :icon8: :'( :'( :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: thnak you ALL for your PATIENCE & helpColin :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• ross549

• teacher

• havnblast

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear Colin, I had to leave home and go to work so I just saw your other post in the other threadI would say go for Kubuntu and let me know what you think of it.

Yep KellyI tried the Kubuntu Live & it workedNow will habve yto go for the Install CDHOPE I can partition the hardrive though to get it onHave not DARED look at what I have right now :P :hysterical: Colin

Righty Ho Et-alsSuse is ON but coming off for another reinstall (various :'( :icon8: reasons from MY install and inattention :P (typical impatient scorpio OOPS!!!)I now have Kubuntu Install CD cutThe hard drive is a full 40G no partionsAt present my sentiment sway towards two distros and these seem to be the two BUT :hysterical: I am still willing to accept other opinions and WILLING to put some other distro on alongside SuseWhich do I install first (lilo of course) crack the hard with 25G??? for Suse and 15G??? for KubuntuIt seems common sense to use Suse's lilo for boot up or does it and IF SO I KNOW this EXPLORER will still need help in assimilating bot distros into One liloSo before the fun Install Party begins :clap: :clap: :clap: again I TRULY welcome any and all adviceCheers for YearsColin :P :D

Edited by kamicota

No Advice here but I will be watching as I am interested to know what you think of Kubuntu, I didn't really care for ubuntu (not a fan of gnome really) Best of luck

Thank you RolanajWe will see if it even IS Kubuntu although I was comfortable with it when I tried the Livecd > Did not and was not in tune with Ubutntu Gnome Not for me :P I'm just looking for a similarly stable distro lke Suse and the new PCLos updated gave y system and me palpitations :hysterical: So the day is young here in B.C. and I had Suse on and off Three times yesterday and still missed some changes during each installBut we STILL try & keeping :icon8: Cheers for Yearscolin

hey there Et-alsI'm having an INSTALL PARTY all by myself :clap: --->>>Suse is OFF and Kubuntu is on butThought I would get choice of Lilo but BOoHoo it is grub :P And thought I'd get a chance to partion so that Suse could be on the last Parttion but no way :clap: So soon we will see what the next party favours are :hysterical: :icon8: Cheers for yearsColin :P :'( :clap:

Still hanging in thereKubuntu is updated and firefox Gimp and Thunderbird added through KynapticAlthough the heart just about stopped when near the end the screen icons went brownBut for now all is well withj kubuntu and Rolanaj I LIKE MUCH better than Ubuntu GnomwStill a ways to go yet as this is Grub & Suse is going to be LiloSo where to from here :hysterical: is still waitning to see if this is to be Suse companion :icon8: Cheers for YearsColin :P

Adam That sounds like a good ideaI was considering using a PClos live cdBut if it can be done as yet I am still up inthe air as to what the opartitions should be To me it seems like--->>>15G for Kubuntu25G for SuseUnless there is a more sensible way and inclucde swap partitionAnd again as there was no choice of lilo in Kubuntu WOULD Kubuntu and Suse be logical compatable choices ???Colin :hysterical: :P :clap: :'( :icon8:

Colin.... I know almost nothing about kubuntu. I booted it once, but did not care for it at all. I do not know what the setup routine is and how well it would co-exist next to suse.You will need to be booted into pclos for all of this.Let me know what you want for partitions.

AdamOOPS :clap: PClos went bybyes, OOPS :'( ATL went bye byes and now BY CHOICE Suse went byebyes until I can have the partitionin set upi to accept two distrosAnd thoughts are it would be Suse as the last and in the last partition after Kubuntu or another Distro that I have not been able to decide upon as the last upgfade of PCLos gave problems with LiloSo from there where do I go ??? I'ma little :clap: :clap: :hysterical: :icon8: right nowColin :P

I meant that you should use the PCLos CD running live, so we can wipe the hard drive... it would not work well if you were booted to it, now would it? :hysterical:

I understand......Boot into the livecd, and let me know when they get there. It would also be helpful to know what partitions you want.

AdamI'll boot into PCLos live and as for the partitions I am OPEN to suggestionsAs up to now ONLY TWO distros this time One Suse and the Other ????????????Colin :hysterical:

Righty Ho AdamMay have to download the new PCLos after the first install of Suse though and THANK you think I NEEDED that BOOST to PCLOs\Colin

OK, the first thingto do will be to wipe the hard drive.NOTE: EXTREMELY DANGEROUS COMMAND HERE! DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE NOT SURE THAT THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!!

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1M

This will wipe the drive completely. This command may take some time to complete.NOTE: EXTREMELY DANGEROUS COMMAND HERE! DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE NOT SURE THAT THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!!

Righty Ho AdamWill doAny idea on order of Install Suse Firts and PCLos last or PCLos first and Suse last???Still have to download the new PCLos in windows thoughColin

Let it install GRUB... we can wipe that portion before installing PCLos. ;)I would prefer you download PCLos in SuSE as well. Then, we can run the md5tsum there, and let K3B check the written copy for accuracy.