Learning GNU/Linux in a self-paced way

securitybreach

securitybreach

Neat write up with some nice resources:

Learning GNU/Linux in a self-paced way

I am frequently asked how to learn GNU/Linux. The fastest way to learn is to install a GNU/Linux distribution on your computer and use it everyday. Figure out how to do all of the tasks you would normally do with a computer using only free, libre, and open source software.

The second thing that has advanced my career with GNU/Linux the most is taking notes.

When I am about to do something new, I first write out what I am trying to do, the problem that I am trying to solve, or the original error message. I then research the topic. I take notes on the research and add the relevant links. Before I enter in any commands from the Internet, I try to understand the commands and switches as thoroughly as possible. I document the commands I use and add any notes about what each command does. If I forgot to document my commands, I can piece them together by looking at the. bash_history file.

If I messed up something, I should be able to refer to my notes and undo any changes. I then document that process.

Months later when the issue arises again and I have forgotten the process, I can look at my notes instead of restarting over again at the research phase.

Here are some other resources that can help you along the way:

https://github.com/TechnologyClassroom/SetupNotes/blob/master/os/GNULinux/GNULinux.md

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some examples:

Bruno and striker helped me set up WPA wifi before Network Manager could handle it.

Eric and Urmas helped me install Slackware for the first time.

Bruno helped many times with printer problems especially with Mandriva.

Bruno showed me how to chainload in my distro hopping days.

Josh's how-to helped with my first Arch install.

Lots of advice from Hedon James with "light" DEs like LXQt.

Sunrat provided info on Debian when I first ran into upgrade problems.

All too specific to find the answer in general Linux info.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I was one of those who just dived into GNU/Linux once I overcame my reluctance, which was accelerated by my then growing HATRED of MS Windows. I downloaded Ubuntu 6.06, installed it, and within a couple weeks I had a dozen other distributions on my machine. I was a babe in the woods. Much help from @Urmas, @Bruno, @striker@securitybreach, @steel, and many other sharp folks here at Scot's molded me into the old, lazy Slacker that I am today. ;)

And once again, Thank You, @Scot for making that possible. And Thank You, @Will Watts for keeping it alive!

• Like 2
  • +1 1

32 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I was one of those who just dived into GNU/Linux

Yeah me too. Just jump in with both feet and you will soon learn to make backups, take notes , do some research and ask questions and RTFM. I learnt to drive the same way and am still here 😂

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I was one of those who just dived into GNU/Linux

Me as well.  I made lottsa mistakes along the way but I loved the challenge.  Been a true believer for a long time now and I'm glad years ago I was curious enough to go for it.

• Like 2