Calling All Cooks!!!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plukaduk

• longgone

• NRD

;) B) :D .........Uh huh .. a couple of hot buttered rums .. glass or two of egg nog 'n rum mixed ..... nibble on the deviled eggs ..... a taste of stuffing .....
ross549

Well, I thought I would chime in with my own experience, but I know that my cooking skills are nothing compared to those of the chefs around here. :)Well, we had T-bone steaks today for lunch. Had I known this earlier, I would have broken out the grill, -5 temps nonwithstanding. So, we were stuck with broiling them. Since I felt like experimenting, I sprinkled some Mrs. Dash, Garlic salt, and dill on the steaks prior to broiling. Yummy! So much flavor, that I did not need Steak Sauce! My brother said they were "pretty good," so i know that he really liked them!Also, in light of my upcoming move off base (January 18th), I will be referring back to this thread for some recipes and ideas. ;)

Edited by ross549
Guest Paracelsus

I love Mrs. Dash! It's great on steamed mixed veggies, also.Never thought of Dill on steak. Will have to try that sometime.Glad you made it to Omro safe and sound! ;)

Edited by Paracelsus
:w00t: ;) ... Ummmmmm .... Mrs. Dash original in 'mashed taters, sprinkled on steaks that were marinated overnight in ... cajun spice .. injectable marinade .... almost time to grill .........
ross549

That does sound good.....Now the question...... I am going to be making french toast in the morning. What can I do to change the recipe a bit, and introduce the family to a new taste sensation? :PEdit: Stupid keyboard........

Edited by ross549

Depending upon how brave you are,,,,, make a batch using vanilla flavoring, another batch using either strawberry or orange flavoring, of course you are going to mix in cinnamon and sugar right at the start ... yes/no ..

• 2 weeks later...

I owed you this one Paracelsus. :P Crab Cakes500g peeled, cooked crab meat1 onion finely diced1 red capsicum, seeded, finely diced500g gruyere cheese grated200g bread crumbs, fresh1 tsp sesame oil1 egg white1 tsp sake1 tsp soy sauce1 tsp grated fresh ginger1 tsp chopped fresh garlica pinch of sea salt and white pepperMethodCombine all ingredients in a mixing bowl except for the bread crumbs. Add a sprinkling of bread crumbs to help bind mixture. Shape into small patties and then lightly coat in the fresh bread crumbs.In a heavy based frypan heat some peanut or olive oil, add the crab cakes and fry until golden on both sides. Finally garnish with some chopped chives and/or fresh lemon juice squeezed over the top.These are absolutely delicious served with a home style mayonnaise, cocktail style sauce or chilli dipping sauce.ole.gif

Pastitchio (Greek Lasagna)Sorry about lack of precise measurements...I'm like Paracelsus, I cook on the fly :D3lbs Ground beef2-3 medium onions (minced)3-4 stalks celery (minced)Small bunch fresh Italian parsley (chopped fine)Dry red wine (approx 1/4 cup)approx 6 ounces grated Parmesan1lb cut zitiwater6 eggs4 cups milkapprox 6 tbs butter4-5 tbs corn starch (flour roux may be substituted)1 small can tomato pastesalt, white pepper, cinnamon to taste.meat sauce:Brown ground beef with celery, onions, parsley, salt pepper. Drain. Place beef in pot, with 1/3 of Parmesan cheese, wine, cinnamon, tomato paste and water. Simmer for 1 hour or so adding water as needed. Meat sauce should be thick when finished.Ziti:Boil ziti to taste, drain. Return to pot (removed from heated) add 3Tbs butter, letting heat from pasta melt. Add 1/3 Parmesan and two eggs beaten and tempered (No scrambled eggs) Mix well. In 9x14 pan layer half of ziti on bottom, add all meat sauce as next layer, add remaining ziti as third layer.Cream Sauce:Add 4 cups milk, corn starch, butter, and 1/3 Parmesan cheese, white pepper, to sauce pan (salt to taste if needed). Bring to boil while stirring constantly. Boil until sauce is very thick (pudding consistency) remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Separate remaining eggs and beat whites to soft peaks. Gently beat in yolks. When white sauce has cooled properly (or you may temper meringue/yolk) fold into white sauce.Top layer of ziti with white sauce, spread evenly, sprinkle with a light coating of Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 for approximately on hour. Top should be a nice golden brown color. Remove and let cool a few minutes before cutting.

Whatever You've Got Risotto 500g of skinned white fish fillets6-8 medium sized mushrooms, peeled and finely chopped ½ cup dry white wine 1 cup short grain rice 2 cups chicken stock 2 large dollop of butter (approx. 60g)1 chopped onion1 teaspoon crushed garlic salt and pepper1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)Use just about any white fish for this one - even tinned Australian salmon in an emergency! :D MethodSauté onion and garlic in a good sized pan for a few minutes. Stir in rice and wine. Slowly add the stock, stir well and add the salt, pepper and mushrooms. Cook for around 15 minutes until the rice is soft. Place the fish fillets on top of the rice, cover pan and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the fillets. When the fish is cooked, break it up with a fork and mix in with the rice. As a final touch, transfer to a heatproof dish, grate cheese on top and put under a grill until the cheese has melted. Looks messy but tastes great! :nuke: Creole Prawns with Wild Rice  This New Orleans-style dish tastes equally good with WA prawns and is adapted from an "An American Sampler II", by the American Women's Club of Perth. Wild rice was originally cultivated by the North American Indians. At least 2 cups of raw prawns (cleaned)4 large knobs of butter (approx 120 g)1 small onion, finely chopped1 small green capsicum1 teaspoon crushed garlic 8 green olives, stoned and finely chopped1 tin of tomatoes1 bay leafPinch of dried thymePinch of cayenne pepper2 teaspoons of parsley, chopped2 teaspoons of brown sugarSalt (to taste)1 cup wild rice or brown wild rice mixtureMethodSimmer onion, olives, cayenne and garlic in the butter over a low heat for about two minutes. Core and de-seed the capsicum, chop and add to the mixture. Add chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, brown sugar and salt and gently simmer for about an hour, until you are left with a thick sauce-like mixture. After you have started to cook your mixture, begin your boiled rice. If wild rice seems expensive, brown rice/wild rice mixtures can be purchased more cheaply. Stir raw prawns into mixture and simmer for around 10 minutes, making sure it is well heated. Serve on a bed of rice, accompanied with a glass of chilled white burgundy or a cold beer. B)

Pluka's Bouillabaisse. Ingredients (serves around ten hungry guests) 2 kg assorted fish pieces (cutlets, chunky and thin fillets - check what your local fish shop has and ask his advice) 1 kg mussels, cleaned and de-bearded 6 green crabs, cleaned 1 green crayfish, any size, cut into chunks 200 gm scallop flesh20 yabbies 20 whole green prawns or cutlets 2 onions, peeled and chopped 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped 1 tin of peeled and chopped tomatoes 2 leeks, split, washed and roughly chopped (use white part only) 2-3 litres fish stock A good slurp of olive oil A handful of parsley, roughly chopped, plus a few sprigs of dill or fennel, thyme, a bay leaf or two, and a pinch of saffron 1 glass white wine (Riesling is great) Salt and pepper A little orange or lemon zest Lots of crusty breadMethod In a large heavy-based sauce pan or large casserole heat olive oil and lightly cook without colour the onions, leek and garlic for two minutes. Add tomatoes, then the thickest pieces of fish, crabs, yabbies, cray, prawns, herbs and citrus zest. Add saffron, salt and pepper and cover with fish stock and wine. Simmer with lid on for five minutes. Add scallops, mussels and thinnest pieces of fish (like whiting or herring) and cook for a further seven to ten minutes. Garnish using a sprinkle of parsley and dill. Leave in casserole and serve in large bowls with lots of crusty bread. Serving The traditional recipe is to pour the broth over the bread, I prefer the dunking method. :D

Edited by Plukaduk
Guest Paracelsus
:D :D :drooling:I LOVE Bouillabaisse!!! :D :w00t: :drooling:OK...I think most of us now know that Yabbies are the Antipodal version of (American) crayfish. So...What, then, is considered "Crayfish" in Oz??? B) Edited by Paracelsus
Guest Paracelsus

Ahh!! Those puny, albeit sweet, Pacific Lobster.Good...But no match for Homerus Americanus(Try as I might... I couldn't find a good photo of one that wasn't related to its premier status on the American East Coast Seafood Menu. This critter was probably a five pounder)

Edited by Paracelsus
Ahh!!  Those puny, albeit sweet, Pacific Lobster. Good...
Here you go a brace of King Island Crayfish, just the right size...Crays%2015.jpg Edited by Plukaduk
B) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Dave (Pluka) ... I would like an honest straight up answer here .... what type of taste/flavor do emu eggs have as compared to plain old white chickens ???????????????///
Dave (Pluka) ... I  would like an honest straight up answer here .... what type of taste/flavor do emu eggs have as compared to plain old white chickens ???????????????///
Don aka Plukaduck :rolleyes: You can only eat Emu eggs if you are a Koorie (Aboriginal Australian) I think. I have been told that they are strong tasting. You also would only need one to make a omelette for a couple of people :hmm:
Paracelsus said: Jeez, Pluka...That Sam Kekovitch had me so scared, I think even I might eat lamb on Australia Day
Yes he has that effect on people, he certainly has the vegan and the other veggie type people in a snit over the advert. The advert has been before the advert censorship board and it was deemed fit for human consumption. :rolleyes: Now where's me Tofu snags (sausages) gone...? B)
B) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .... OOpppsss... sorry Pluka (Don) ... was thinking about your x-country cohort Ozidave.... reason I asked is the egg ranch where I get my eggs at have a couple of emu's and they sell their eggs also .. very dark green shell .. think they are 4 or 5 USD ( :w00t: :hmm: :w00t: ) each .. and it would make a TEXAS sized omelet ,, or a bunch of scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos Edited by longgone
I  asked is the egg ranch where I get my eggs at have a couple of emu's and they sell their eggs also .. very dark green shell .. think they are 4 or 5 USD ( :hmm:  :rolleyes:  :w00t: ) each .. and it would make a TEXAS sized omelet ,,  or a bunch of scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos
I have been having a bit of a Google around, and I'm 100% certain that the eggs are protected in Oz. The Koories can eat them as they are a traditional food source.Emu farming for meat and the by products, leather, feathers etc. is allowed if you have the necessary permits. So I suppose that the farmers would be keeping all the eggs for breeding purposes. :rolleyes: As you say they would make Texas size omelet B) Edit: Here's some more stuff includin recipes, egg carving etc...Tjuringa Emu Products Edited by Plukaduk

I have only seen 2 emu's there in over a year so I don't think it is for breeding ... Paracelsus could make up a whole breakfast with one egg (unless lab rat got it first for testing purposes) B) :rolleyes:

I have only seen 2 emu's there in over a year so I  don't think it is for breeding ...  Paracelsus could make up a whole breakfast with one egg (unless lab rat got it first for testing purposes) ;)  B)
Longone, these laws effect only Australia, and do not apply to other countries. I should have made that a bit clearer. ;) Mmmmmmmmmm Lab Rat Omelets. :hmm:
Guest Paracelsus
Paracelsus could make up a whole breakfast with one egg (unless lab rat got it first for testing purposes)
:happyroll:You know it, Dale!!There are several Emu "Ranches" in these here parts of Texas. Emus were touted in the late '80s as "The New White Meat" (countering the Pork industry's ads for pork as "The Other White Meat"... battling the poultry industry). ;) Anyway...It never really caught on, that I know of. I think each raiser finds their own scam... erm... method, ya... method... of making a go at it. Many of them advertise (through an association), trying to entice new people into raising them. (Remember the Llama and Alpaca ranching schemes??)I've never had Emu meat or eggs... but I'd be willing to try them at least once :thumbsup:My motto toward eating is..."I'll Eat Anything That Doesn't Fight Back When I Poke It With A Fork" B) (Once, anyway ;) ) Edited by Paracelsus