• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abarbarian

• securitybreach

• saturnian

• sunrat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got it working!!!  Turns out the problem was that the presistence.dat file was in the root directory and I needed to create a /ventoy folder and move it there.  Now I have the choice of booting with o

There are three kinds of lies... lies, d4mned lies, and statistics.   ~Samuel Clemons AKA Mark Twain

I mentioned Emmabuntüs DE3 in this thread a couple of months ago. Since then, I installed it on my "test" machine. Based on Debian Stable.   Something about this distro keeps grabbing me. Em

raymac46

I'm down to (blush!) 4 distros but in my defense 3 of them are either Debian or based on Debian. Arch is just too much fun to give up, although I wouldn't want to install it for the grandkids until my geeky grandson gets a bit older.

abarbarian

I am a tad busy at the moment so am only running two distros. Boring old Arch and boring old MX-19. Boring as in rock steady with no glitches to fix , yawn yawn yawn. 🤩

• +1 1
  • 3 months later...
abarbarian

This is not an article on a distro but it may be of some interest to folk distro hopping or folk wanting to try out several live os's.

Create A Bootable USB Drive By Simply Copying The ISO To The USB With Ventoy (Linux And Windows) 

Ventoy is a fairly new open source tool to create bootable USB drives using Linux or Microsoft Windows ISO files. You install this tool to a USB drive, then simply copy some ISO files to the USB drive and you can boot from it with no other changes (so without having to reformat the USB drive every time you want to create a bootable USB drive, and without having to extract the ISO file contents).

The application is available for Microsoft Windows and Linux. It has a graphical user interface on Windows only; on Linux you'll need to use it from the command line.

When copying multiple ISO files to the USB drive, Ventoy provides a menu on boot from where you can choose which ISO to boot. You can even create a multiboot USB drive by adding ISO files for some Linux distributions and Windows ISO files on the same USB

How to create a bootable USB drive with persistence using Ventoy

When you create a regular Linux live USB, you can install software, download files, make changes to the system, and so on, but all of these changes are lost after a reboot. A persistent live USB allows saving any changes you make to the live system, so they are still present the next time you boot to it.

Ventoy supports creating bootable USB drive with persistence support. Among the Linux distributions for which Ventoy supports persistence are Ubuntu, MX Linux, Linux Mint, Elementary OS and Zorin OS, although more probably work, but haven't been tested. Generally, any Linux distribution based on Ubuntu should work.

Ventoy has some pretty neat features and is a most interesting tool. 😎

• Like 1
  • +1 1
wa4chq
12 hours ago, abarbarian said:

This is not an article on a distro but it may be of some interest to folk distro hopping or folk wanting to try out several live os's.

Create A Bootable USB Drive By Simply Copying The ISO To The USB With Ventoy (Linux And Windows) 

Ventoy has some pretty neat features and is a most interesting tool. 😎

Hey abarbarian....tnx for the info about Ventoy.  Interesting tool.  I'll have to give it a try.

• Like 1
securitybreach

So I am just curious, since you can do that anyway on window and (some) linux distros, what does it actually offer? When we make image sticks at work, we just delete the files and copy the new image extracted to the drives. They usually work fine that way. Sometimes, you may have to format them but usually not. 

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

So I am just curious, since you can do that anyway on window and (some) linux distros, what does it actually offer? When we make image sticks at work, we just delete the files and copy the new image extracted to the drives. They usually work fine that way. Sometimes, you may have to format them but usually not. 

Ok, never mind. I didn't notice the persistent features and such

When you create a regular Linux live USB, you can install software, download files, make changes to the system, and so on, but all of these changes are lost after a reboot. A persistent live USB allows saving any changes you make to the live system, so they are still present the next time you boot to it.

• Like 1
wa4chq

Looks like you can also have multiple distros instead of just one.  I have a few distro's on a thumb drive....it's like Christmas when I get them out and boot up....I don't remember what's gonna pop up cuz I never label 'em....lol

securitybreach
15 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Looks like you can also have multiple distros instead of just one.  I have a few distro's on a thumb drive....it's like Christmas when I get them out and boot up....I don't remember what's gonna pop up cuz I never label 'em....lol

Ah that is nice, cool :thumbsup:

abarbarian
18 hours ago, securitybreach said:

So I am just curious, since you can do that anyway on window and (some) linux distros, what does it actually offer?

Features

100% open source

Simple to use

Fast (limited only by the speed of copying iso file)

Can be installed in USB/Local Disk/SSD/NVMe/SD Card

Directly boot from ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI files, no extraction needed

No need to be continuous in disk for ISO/IMG files

MBR and GPT partition style supported (1.0.15+)

x86 Legacy BIOS, IA32 UEFI, x86_64 UEFI, ARM64 UEFI supported

UEFI Secure Boot supported (1.0.07+)

Persistence supported (1.0.11+)

Windows/Linux auto installation supported (1.0.09+)

FAT32/exFAT/NTFS/UDF/XFS/Ext2(3)(4) supported for main partition

ISO files larger than 4GB supported

Native boot menu style for Legacy & UEFI

Most type of OS supported, 600+ iso files tested

Linux vDisk boot supported

Not only boot but also complete installation process

Menu dynamically switchable between List/TreeView mode

"Ventoy Compatible" concept

Plugin Framework

Injection files to runtime enviroment

Boot configuration file dynamically replacement

Highly customizable theme and menu

USB drive write-protected support

USB normal use unaffected

Data nondestructive during version upgrade

No need to update Ventoy when a new distro is released

Ventoy home site

I gave it a quick try out, downloaded .iso's and copied and pasted to a Ventoy usb stick,

Arch

Fedora SOS

Fenix

They booted to a useable live os.

Porteous KDE

Pepermint OS

Did not boot at all.

Slacko Puppy

Booted but quit with errors.

It was just a quick test run. Seems like a neat tool and easy to set up and use. I already have MX on a usb as an emergency tool so it may not be much use to me but it will make trying out some os's a lot easier. 😎

• +1 1
Bookmem
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Ventoy home site

I gave it a quick try out, downloaded .iso's and copied and pasted to a Ventoy usb stick,

Arch

Fedora SOS

Fenix

They booted to a useable live os.

Porteous KDE

Pepermint OS

Did not boot at all.

Slacko Puppy

Booted but quit with errors.

It was just a quick test run. Seems like a neat tool and easy to set up and use. I already have MX on a usb as an emergency tool so it may not be much use to me but it will make trying out some os's a lot easier. 😎

I must be doing something wrong.  I used my Mint 20.1 box to create a 16gb persistance.dat file and placed it and the Mint 20.1 iso files on the Ventoy 64gb USB drive.  Also made the ventoy.json file on the USB drive.  But when I boot the from the USB, instead of the persistance menu, my only option is to boot the iso file.

abarbarian
On 1/13/2021 at 7:30 PM, Bookmem said:

I must be doing something wrong.  I used my Mint 20.1 box to create a 16gb persistance.dat file and placed it and the Mint 20.1 iso files on the Ventoy 64gb USB drive.  Also made the ventoy.json file on the USB drive.  But when I boot the from the USB, instead of the persistance menu, my only option is to boot the iso file.

Never tried to do that as I am busy doing a fresh Arch install. This link may help you,

https://ventoy.net/en/plugin_persistence.html

😎

• Like 1
17 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Never tried to do that as I am busy doing a fresh Arch install. This link may help you,

https://ventoy.net/en/plugin_persistence.html

😎

Got it working!!!  Turns out the problem was that the presistence.dat file was in the root directory and I needed to create a /ventoy folder and move it there.  Now I have the choice of booting with or without persistence.

edit: Ooops!  It was the ventoy.json file that had to be moved, not the persistence.dat.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Agree 1
  • +1 2