Spring 2014 has finally arrived here in Virginia!

Guest LilBambi

a noxious plant that covers everything!

http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/

In the United States, kudzu is extensively reported in Alabama, Arkansas, Washington, D.C., Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, North Dakota, New Jersey, Oregon, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Edited by zlim

One of spring's less common concerns has arrived--a bird (think a robin, hard to tell right now) has just nested in the large bush by my front steps. There's not too much foot traffic there, but it's hazardous because just a new feet away I have to put down garden net to protect a long bed of hostas beside the walk. If I don't do that, the deer have a banquet and I'm left with a long bed full of nothing but green stems for the entire summer. I'm worried that the little ones may wind up tangled in the net, but can't do much but try to be watchful. This also means that I probably can't prune the bush for the better part of the summer, which leaves the front of the house looking kind of unkempt. I've also got a medium-large rodent (exact species unknown) digging holes in my backyard and trying to establish a permanent presence. I stuff all holes I see him dig with steel wool and little cotton swabs soaked with ammonia or peppermint oil--I've read that many rodents will avoid those smells. He disappears for a few days and then the battle starts again. I'm trying to keep every speck of bird seed of the ground and hope he'll get discouraged. Ugh.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

Deer and moles are the bane of my life. Those beautiful bambies ate all the fresh growth on virtually all my plants this year and they are only just recovering. An the moles well they must be on amphetamines as I have never seen so many hills.

I actually saw a moleys snout this year as he was forming a new hill, looked ever so cute with his little pink nose.

:shifty:

V.T. Eric Layton

I have some pretty pictures of those deer you mention on a REALLY BIG thumb drive that I recently received via chain mail. ;)

I have some pretty pictures of those deer you mention on a REALLY BIG thumb drive that I recently received via chain mail. ;)

Thems the little bleeders munching in me garden. Now if I lived in the states they would be in the freezer but it is harder to get a gun over here. Well it is not that hard if you know the right folk , just expensive,an they tend to lock you up for quite some time if they catch you. :pirate:

I'd have to be pretty hungry to shoot one though. One look from them big brown eyes and I'd falter.

V.T. Eric Layton

Cows, pigs, and chicken are much easier to hunt. I'm going to hunt for some at my local grocery store in just a few minutes.

If push comes to shove, temmu of the lower case, I'd eat you if I got hungry enough; unless you're all skinny and stringy. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

We'll have to wait till I don't have access to dead cow, pig, or chicken to worry about it. Even then, I'll still have to work my way down the meat ranks before I get to stringy temmu. There's horse, possum, and pigeon long before temmu. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Don't freak out on us now, temmu. We're just kidding around. I really don't have any cannibalistic tendencies; strictly a beef, chicken, pork + potatoes kind of guy. You're safe around me. Now if the zombiepocalypse starts and I find myself in your neighborhood and you own a cow, pig, or chicken; I would suggest you keep it locked in barn. sm_gnam.gif

How the heck did we get from spring and flowering plants to cannibalism? I was going to post about the goldfinches in my backyard, but I think I'm in the wrong thread! :hmm:

Edited by ebrke

V.T. Eric Layton

Not even enough for a McNugget?

Science has proven that there are no real food products in McNuggets. ;)

• Like 1