Good Reads - Discussion of Books, Literature, Reading, etc.

Cluttermagnet

Guest LilBambi

Yes that works directly too ... Takes you right to that page of the slideshow on Flickr!

So just snag the link from a Flickr! Slideshow page and post it in directly like a YouTube video link and the forum will put it in media brackets.

Is that correct?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zathrasnj/8377251901/

Here's the link inside the code tags. Try a copy & paste into your browser

Your link leads to a single photo. :ermm:

Guest LilBambi

No it doesn't, it's one picture, the first in a slideshow. Wait for the arrow to show to move to the next one.

Maybe this was a NoScript moment too?

Humble eBook Bundle 3

Seven sweet literary works. Humble eBook Bundle 3 features six novel works of prose from respected authors. Name your price for Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale by Holly Black, Jumper by Steven Gould, The Happiest Days of Our Lives by Wil Wheaton, and Zombies Versus Unicorns - An Anthology edited by Holly Black & Justine Larbalestier. Pay more than the average and you'll also receive Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw!

As a special exclusive, pay $15 or more and you'll also get Homeland by Cory Doctorow (narrated by Wil Wheaton) in audiobook format!

Gad don't you just hate sales. :devil:

Support charities and authors. You choose where your money goes: between the authors and/or the following charities, Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America Emergency Medical Fund and World Reader. If you like this promotion, a tip to Humble Bundle would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by abarbarian

Guest LilBambi

I have Little Brother in eBook format from Cory's website as well as the, audiobook format done by Random House audio narrated by Kirby Heyborne (great job!) when Cory offered it, and I also got the hardcover edition from Amazon.

I think there is enough overlap between the two that you could read Homeland on it's own. But it's hard to tell if I would know for sure since I read it after Little Brother. ;)

I can't wait to hear Wil Wheaton do Homeland!

Guest LilBambi

Just listened to another very good book, Free: The Future of a Radical Price by Chris Anderson (MyPassionIsBooks Blog).

Chris Anderson read it himself and if you have the bandwidth, you may want to snag it from the Wired.com article where he also posted the MP3 audiobook version!

I have all the links for audible free download, other downloads, online listening and podcast link from the LearnOutLoud.com link on the blog article.

Enjoy!

V.T. Eric Layton

Listen to books? Nah... I can't quite justify that. It's kinda' like tasting colors. Of course, back in the day... er, nevermind.

I keep thinking that listening to an audio book would be a way to work out on the elliptical, trouble is I can't manage to actually get to the elliptical. I have a couple audio books that were offered free through audible and amazon and Neil Gaiman had a Halloween one last year that he posted for his fans. I listened to the Halloween one and enjoyed it but it was short not sure if I could handle having a whole book read to me.

V.T. Eric Layton

How 'bout just a story?

Here's friend ChipDoc (Paul) performing E. A. Poe's The Raven -->

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15753011/Chip_Poe's%20Raven.mp3

or maybe you'd prefer a bit creepier The Outsider by H. P. Lovecraft performed by a much younger ChipDoc (back when he was still in chip med school ;) ) -->

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15753011/chip_outsider.mp3

Enjoy!

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow! The board automatically posted my raw links as embedded players. COOL! I've never seen that before.

Guest LilBambi

I started listening to audiobooks because of all the hours on the road to get to clients and back home again.

Now with my eyes getting too tired, I find it is still a good way to read a book.

Also, trying to get to sleep with pain is much easier if you can keep your mind busy.

• 5 weeks later...

For lovers of epic fantasy, Robert Jordan's entire Wheel of Time series has been nominated for a Hugo Award in the Best Novel category thanks to a quirk in the nomination rules. Tor, Wheel of Time's publisher, has just verified that the entire 14 book series will be included in this year's Hugo Voter's Packet. Just that seems to be worth the $40 price for the supporting membership!

• Like 1

Strangely, I'm with Eric on audio books. I could never get into them. Even when I was a little kid I couldn't wait until I could read by myself instead of being read to. Many people I know do like audio books for long commutes, I just used to stick with music.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 2

Guest LilBambi

Me too. Always dead tree books were my favorites. But I spend too much time on the road with my business, and sometimes have trouble getting to sleep and my eyes have become problematic.

Because of these and Frank Muller's introduction into audiobooks, I have embraced audiobooks. It was totally against the grain for me initially so I totally understand your positions. Now I find I am able to read more because of the additional ways I can read that I could not have done before and the wasted hours on the road are redeemed!

my eyes have become problematic
I can identify with that. Luckily, most of my really bad close vision can be remedied by reading glasses and good light. Remove either of those and I have a problem! I got cataracts early and the choice with that surgery resulted in improved distance vision but really blurry close vision.

I started listening to audiobooks because of all the hours on the road to get to clients and back home again.

Also, trying to get to sleep with pain is much easier if you can keep your mind busy.

Ditto the long hours on the road. It really does depend on the person reading the book though. An I really prefer to listen to BBC or any other provider of radio plays or series's.

I hardly ever use pharmaceutical medication for pain relief. I prefer to use ancient herbal methods and have done since the 70's. :whistling:

This Time article has another argument for reading paper books What You Need to Know Before Letting Your Kids Read E-Books

Speaking at the annual conference of the American Educational Research Association in Philadelphia, the Schugars reported the results of a study in which they asked middle school students to read either traditional printed books, or e-books on iPads. The students’ reading comprehension, the researchers found, was higher when they read conventional books.
  • Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton
The students’ reading comprehension, the researchers found, was higher when they read conventional books.

I can believe that. It's not as easy to skim a dead tree book as it is an electronic or audio version. Plus, plain white paper pages with black type don't provide much in the way of distraction from the main content.

Guest LilBambi

I always enjoyed dead tree books and yes, going back and re-reading anything I didn't understand or missed due to interruption is easy in a conventional book. But really not hard in an eBook or an audiobook if you know how ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Wouldn't "good listens" be a more accurate description here? ;)

I think I'll go hunt that second one down at my local library and add it to my reading list. :yes: