• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• Owyn

• Bruno

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I fiddled around in the SCSI BOIS settings, but did not find anything that would set a longer delay.
That would not have fixed the problem anyway.
Abandoning that, I moved to the system BIOS. There I discovered something interesting: The ethernet adapter was set to on, but with PXE off. The ethernet options were as follows:
  • Disabled
  • On (PXE off)
  • On

I set it to on, and when I booted, I did not get the usual message saying that eth0 initialization failed. Definately a good sign. I am going to shut down and cold boot the CPU to see if that boots good too.

:)
I still have not heard a peep from the sound card (SB LIve PLatinum) yet, but I suspect the headphones are plugged into the wrong port, and I cannot see it well. Is there a sound file somewhere on the disc that I can try out?
[root@localhost apt]# find /usr -name *mp3/usr/bin/toc2mp3/usr/share/apps/kbattleship/sounds/ship-player1-shoot.mp3/usr/share/apps/kbattleship/sounds/ship-player2-shoot.mp3/usr/share/apps/kbattleship/sounds/ship-player-shoot-water.mp3/usr/share/apps/kbattleship/sounds/ship-sink.mp3[root@localhost apt]# find /usr -name *midi/usr/bin/kmidi/usr/bin/playmidi/usr/lib/menu/kdebase-midi/usr/lib/menu/kdemultimedia-kmidi/usr/share/apps/kmidi/usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kmidi/usr/share/sndconfig/sample.midi

Well, this afternoon I plan on working with this some more..... when I did the install, PV5 tried to overwrite the GRUB that was on the hard drive. Naturally, it failed. I will have to do a quick search today after work, get grub wiped off, and try the install again.The problem with ethernet failing is coming back again, too. This is really irritating (didn't have the problem with the ethernet card that I previously removed from the system). Since the machine is off most of the time (don't want them complaining about the two computers in the barracks during inspections), I will just have to get in the habit of rebooting right when the bootloader comes up, so the ethernet is setup properly. Am I going to run into this issue when I have the HD install done?Also, any news on how well an HD install plays with an ATI AIW 7500?

Saved this from the pclinuxos mailing list..... knew I would need it later:

> Boot sectors are typically 512 bytes long, and if it's done to the disk> (/dev/hda) instead of a partition (/dev/hdaX), it will be the first 512> bytes of the disk called the MBR (Master Boot Record).  You should be> able to remove grub (and other boot programs installed in the disks MBR)> with dd.>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1>> That will ERASE the disks master boot record and has saved me in the> past from various tinkerings with boot loaders.
Courtesy of Brandon Darbro. I will test it this afternoon, and if it works, Owyn can make it a tip.

Well, running /sbin/mii-tool seemed to do something, but it did not restore my ethernet internet connection. After wiping sda, I am now attempting a reinstall.

Well, running /sbin/mii-tool seemed to do something, but it did not restore my ethernet internet connection. After wiping sda, I am now attempting a reinstall.
HUH????mii-tool trashed your system???

I did$ su# mii-tool (check eth* basic status: 100Mbps FD)# mii-tool -v (get more info)# mii-tool -R (Reset to power on state)# mii-tool (check again: 10Mbps)# mii-tool -r (renegotiate)# mii-tool (check again: 100Mbps)And then retested internet connection. Worked find.

HUH????mii-tool trashed your system???
LOL! No, running the HD install trashed my HD because of the incompatibility PV5 has with GRUB. See above..... the command I posted above seemed to remove the GRUB, but when I did the install last night, I installed LILO to the wrong spot on the hard drive.... the boot sector of the / partition. Silly me. I needed to install it to the MBR.

Huh. Looks like PCLinuxOS don't like GRUB...... read that somewhere.....  B)  B)  :P LIve and learn.....
I meant to say in this post that the attempted HD install trashed GRUB.

I did$ su# mii-tool (check eth* basic status: 100Mbps FD)# mii-tool -v (get more info)# mii-tool -R (Reset to power on state)# mii-tool (check again: 10Mbps)# mii-tool -r (renegotiate)# mii-tool (check again: 100Mbps)And then retested internet connection. Worked find.
Is there a way to automate this process on boot up?

Sure.Add the commandsmii-tool -Rmii-tool -rTo /etc/rc.d/rc.localThe rest of the commands were just me testing the process.-----Retested:Just need mii-tool -R -rie. both commands can be combined to one command.

Edited by Owyn

Well, when HD install #4 completes successfully, I will add it, and post the results. Perhaps this needs to be a normal setting.
LOL. Tx..Just test it interactively first. If it works, then, add it to rc.local and cold reboot.That should give it the worst case stress test.Oh, and let me know how your sound is. I posted a message a while back about installing awesfx from the repository.

Well, I am getting an error:

INIT: /etc/inittab[1]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[2]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[3]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[4]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[5]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[6]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[7]: missing action field

The it asks me which runlevel to run. Will try a reinstall.

Well, I am getting an error:
INIT: /etc/inittab[1]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[2]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[3]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[4]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[5]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[6]: missing action fieldINIT: /etc/inittab[7]: missing action field

The it asks me which runlevel to run. Will try a reinstall.

DIIK:And I am off the forum for the evening.Need to get some scripts tested.Later.

Posing from my HD install now.....  :thumbsup: This is faster than on the CD, but not by much.... must be the PII 400........
Ok. Keep me in suspense.What did you change to get it working?

mii-tool -R -r does not restore ethernet for me..... either in rc.local, or when simply typed from a console.Other than that, the instal looks good.

mii-tool -R -r does not restore ethernet for me..... either in rc.local, or when simply typed from a console.Other than that, the instal looks good.
Hmmm.Do you have another procedure that does get eth0 and the internet working?Is your sound working?

Yep, I warm reboot :)Have not started on sound. Haven't heard anything from the headphones, but I think I am plugged ion the wrong jack on the sound card.

Yep, I warm reboot ;)
T'aint elegant, but, if it works.
Have not started on sound. Haven't heard anything from the headphones, but I think I am plugged ion the wrong jack on the sound card.
Don't expect any problems. According to my notes it worked on PV4.

When I was running PV4, I did not have an SB card in Rebel. There was an ISA card, but since then, it has been replaced with the Live! Platinum.

When I was running PV4, I did not have an SB card in Rebel. There was an ISA card, but since then, it has been replaced with the Live! Platinum.
Ahh. Right. Rebel2.I have got to take some time out from looking into problems and get caught up on my housekeeping.

Well part of the problem is my fault. Rebel has changed configs so many times, that I am going to create a page on my site with the current config and just link to it in my sig.

Sometimes it is really great having two systems..... For some reason, my primary system, Liberty, is refusing to boot with just the single new drive. It boots just fine with both drives installed. Very odd. I will be working on this in the morning. Now, time for some sleep.

Sometimes it is really great having two systems..... For some reason, my primary system, Liberty, is refusing to boot with just the single new drive. It boots just fine with both drives installed. Very odd. I will be working on this in the morning. Now, time for some sleep.
Check the Master/Slave/Cable Select jumpering on the IDE drives.The single drive should be jumpered to Master.

Yeah, I've been chaecking and playing with that.... odd. Seems like something is seriously messed up in the BIOS, because it is not even showing me the memory speed right now. I am going to reset the BIOS and hope that works. For some reason this system has always been somewhat picky about the drive setup. If I leave it alone, it is fine.