My PV5 Thread....

ross549

well, after a fair amount of troubleshooting and consulting with some guys i know on IRC, we have determined that the motherboard is apparently dead. Very irritating.... I did not want to spend money on a new XPC...... :thumbsup: I hold Owyn personally responsible....... all this testing and reconfiguring..... :blink:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• Owyn

• Bruno

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the P 650's.Did you ever find out why they would not work?Probably not a real good time to experiment, but, it would speed things up a bit.
Dell does not support CPU upgrades... at least on systems out of their warranty. I do have a link to the dell forums where they discuss CPU upgrades... but I have not had time to do any kind of research.It seems that FCPGA PIII's on slotkets work just fine.... but voltage issues are prevelant. I have to do more reading.

Ouch.  You only wanted an excuse to upgrade anyway.  Face it.  You want the latest toys. :whistling:--Julia :'(
Yeah, but my income/expenses does not support that wish... :'(

Well, after a lot of tossing/turning last night and research this morning at work (did I do that?), I went ahead and got the Shuttle SB65G2. I also ordered 1GB od DDR400 Memory, and the upgraded power supply for the XPC. I really did not want to do this..... but my PII 400 is a lot long in the tooth. My budget is stretched to the max this month. :(Now the decision: Suse or PV5? :PAnyone want to buy a broken motherboard?

Hi Adam . . are you sure it is Linux compatible ?? . . . And are you aware that for many distro's you will need boot parameters to reduce the amount of RAM used because only few can handle 1G ?Specs do look nice though ;)B) Bruno

Hey, Bruno....Nope..... no idea wether it is Linux compatible.... but that's what you guys are here for right?? :PThe only possible issue I see is the ethernet.... I beleive it is a broadcom controller. I will be disableing the Wireless.... until Linux compatibility matures.

BrunoDon't you know he has been taking lessons from me? Besides mem=850M works in most all distros! I might have to start bumping that number up to see what works. That looks a lot like hubby's specs. Did you compare? If so I know you are good for at least Drake based distros.Julia B)

Hey, teach......It is an Intel chipset.... so I don't see an issue with that, but we will definately going to have an install party next week!! What model was your hubbie's computer again? (I know I asked before)Bruno... am looking at the lists now.. B)

Did you compare? Julia B)
No . . I gave him the links . . he's a big boy, can look for it himself to reassure himself that he will not have surprises later :huh:
Bruno... am looking at the lists now..
I knew you are a guy that uses his brains before pulling his wallet B) :DB) Bruno

Well, Bruno...... I spent a lot of time this morning poring over specs..... Linux was really a secondary concern at that point. I willl most likely be going to a ship later this year, and will have to run Windows while I am there (got to share with the shipmates). I am fairly sure that I will have no problems with Linux..... this model is about 6 months old. Just be lucky I didn't buy the new, top-of-the-line model! That one was running an ATI chipset (Linux suppoert most likely=0)!Intel 865PE chipset... am still digging through the lists, but they are sketchy at best. Have not yet found anything specifically that says the chipset is compatible. B)

Hubby's is the 51! here.Julia:)
Actually, that was the first one I looked at. B) But I did want something that had Dual-channel memory. Dual channel= crazy fast!!

:huh: Go for it. You can make it work. You know why I didn't go for more bucks for something like that - hubby wouldn't know what to do with "crazy fast". B) B) :DJulia :)

Adam:I am a bit confused about what your system status will be when you are finished with the upgrades.I think it is.Liberty - Dead MotherBoard. Scavenging parts for Liberty 2.Liberty 2 - New partial system. Finish with parts from Liberty.Rebel - Work in progress.Did I read properly between the lines?

Adam:I am a bit confused about what your system status will be when you are finished with the upgrades.I think it is.Liberty - Dead MotherBoard. Scavenging parts for Liberty 2.Liberty 2 - New partial system. Finish with parts from Liberty.Rebel - Work in progress.Did I read properly between the lines?
Yep..... looks about right, except Liberty has already BEEN scavenged in preperation of the arrival of Liberty2. :)Rebel will at some point get a second processor...... but it very quickly became low priority when liberty went belly up.I am running into some wierdness with PV5. When I have Firebird windows opem, and I click on the menu link for Mozilla, it opens another firebird window. Also, when I have a whole mess of Mozilla windows open, and I close one, I have observed all windows closing. Very odd........

OK, I am trying to create the needed partitions for my install of PV5 onto Liberty's hard drive. How do I create an extended partition? hda1 is already setup and ready for an install of windows.

Hi AdamJust use diskdrake in PCLos to make partitions . . but you have to reboot in between to really write them to disk ( HD ) . . make plenty partitions and it will automatically create an extended one . . . :huh::huh: Bruno

OK, looks like the partitions "took"I now have to install Win*** on the C partition....... that way, I can have the dual boot setup properly.

I am running into some wierdness with PV5. When I have Firebird windows opem, and I click on the menu link for Mozilla, it opens another firebird window.
Yeah Adam experienced that as well but not unique to PcLos probably because firefox and mozilla share certain libraries;although if I open mozilla and then firefox no problems though.I say firefox because installed it yesterday and this behaviour still occurs.

Well, PV is installed on my system..... ethernet was not a problem..... no boot parameters for the extra memory. >_< I have not yet played with the sound yet, but that is next.Yay!! :huh: B) :( ;) :D :D

AdamDo I read that right ? Is your new shuttle booting PCLos without problems . . . . and NOT Windows ?? >_<( Is the world going crazy ?? LOL ):huh: Bruno

Yep, Bruno.... you read it right.....Windows will not boot. >_< :huh: ;) :( I think it has something to do with the FAT32 partition that diskdrake created.