My PV5 Thread....

ross549

Owyn, Bruno, and everyone else......I am going to play with PV5 today on Rebel, so I thought I would go ahead and open up a thread for the coming questions!! I am first going to run it live, then install. I will run any requested tests. :) :) :) :o

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ross549

• Owyn

• Bruno

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam,I have SIS:

[bruno:~]$ lspci00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 735 Host (rev 01)00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS 530 Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/551300:02.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)00:02.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Sound Controller (rev a0)00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev 90)01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11DDR [GeForce2 MX 100 DDR/200 DDR] (rev b2)

:thumbsup: Bruno

I have a ASUS P4S533 MB SIS chipset Had problems with the HD install Finally got it after 4th try. Don't know if it was video card or chipset or something else..Mel :thumbsup: linux:/home/mhbell # lspci00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [siS] SiS645DX Host & Memory & AGP Controller00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [siS] SiS 530 Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [siS] SiS961 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 10)00:02.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [siS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)00:02.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [siS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07)00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [siS] 5513 [iDE] (rev d0)00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 04)00:0a.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 01)00:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 PF/PRO AGP 4x TMDSlinux:/home/mhbell #

I have a ASUS P4S533 MB SIS chipset Had problems with the HD install Finally got it after 4th try. Don't know if it was video card or chipset or something else..Mel :unsure:
At least one other user has reported exactly the same problem as yours. ie, Go to 100% on copy and then spin at copying /etc/fstab.Same as you his HD install was complete and worked on a reboot.Jaco has a debug log and is looking into it.

Hmm.... I was trying to run the live CD from the SCSI cdrom on my secondary machine. Do I need to specify some cheat code to make the SCSI CD work? I am getting a bunch of read errors (tested it already on my main machine with no problems) and then a CLI login prompt.

Hmm.... I was trying to run the live CD from the SCSI cdrom on my secondary machine. Do I need to specify some cheat code to make the SCSI CD work? I am getting a bunch of read errors (tested it already on my main machine with no problems) and then a CLI login prompt.
Not sure Adam. Limited SCSI testing so far.My notes show you were able to use PV4 on the Dell without boot options. Correct?

Yes. no problems at all. Since then, however, I have taken one ethernet card out, and replaced the soundcard with a Sound Blaster Live Platinum. Video card is Matrox G400 DualHead.

Yes. no problems at all. Since then, however, I have taken one ethernet card out, and replaced the soundcard with a Sound Blaster Live Platinum. Video card is Matrox G400 DualHead.
Can you retest PV4 CD?

I have the dual 650's, but the system will not boot with them for some reason. Dell's site says the Precision Workstation 410 will support up to a 700MHz PIII, but mine will not work. Don't know why. :lol:

I have the dual 650's, but the system will not boot with them for some reason. Dell's site says the Precision Workstation 410 will support up to a 700MHz PIII, but mine will not work. Don't know why.  :lol:
We should look at that later. Interested in test results with real dual-cpu.Right now I am guessing something on your new SCSI chains is causing the problem.When you get the chance to re-test PV4 can you also document before and after status of SCSI chains. I am betting that PV4 will not work now on Rebel.Hmmm. Think I will call it Rebel2 in my database. So many changes it is almost not the same system.

Gotcha. I call them channels.Would the fact that neither of the two new drives has been formatted/partitioned have anything to do with this problem?

Gotcha. I call them channels.Would the fact that neither of the two new drives has been formatted/partitioned have anything to do with this problem?
Possibly, but not likely.Let's focus on making sure PV4 LiveCD still works before trying to debug PV5.Disconnecting the new drives temporarily is also something we could try.

PV 4 booted after a few times...... but the onboard ethernet is not connecting to the internet. I am doing some tweeking to see what i can find.

The hardware detector is showing the ethernet as the right brand/model, but is loading driver:

3c59x

Is this the correct driver?Also, I noticed that the cable I have been using is a crossover cable. :D :D I was using it on the PCI ethernet card that was in the machine before, with no problems. Don't most ethernet cards detect wether the cable is crossover or not? o:) o:) o:)

It must be. Using the right type of cable, a quick reboot, and I am now online with PV4!Everything seems to be good to go...... any tests I should run?