Mandrake shutdown/power off

longgone

:D Well, in regard to the 9.0 status .. actually no change .. did the following though.1. Removed modem card and reseated just to be sure it was solid in the slot.2. Installed the software for the modem, since it was nowhere to be found in the Control Panel add/remove section nor anywhere else either. Hummm...3. Downloaded and installed all updates to the modem. (Was a few GB).4. Re-Installed 9.0 (3rd time), used the default suggested program packages.5. Tried to set up the web connection using dev/modem, dev/ttyS0, S1, and S2. On S2 I get the error kppp cannot find dev/ttyS2.6. When attempt is made to query modem, I get the response "modem does not respond". And that is what has been done/accomplished/attempted up to now. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought.Have you verified in another distro that the modem is still working? When one dies at the same time as something else it can leave you running in circles for a while until you think to check that.

Teacher: Not sure if you mean another Linux distro or just another OS. The modem hooks up to the web fine on the XP side of the machine. So I am going to assume (could be a grave mistake) that the modem is good. Someday I will learn to leave well enough alone. :D

I meant any distro. The fact that it still works in Windows answers the question. I just wanted to make sure it was software and not hardware causing the problem. :D

Not sure if this has anything to do with your power down problem but I have found that if I restart windows on my dual boot system instead of shutting down and then load Linux, Linux will not shutdown but will restart everytime.

Rolanaj: Hummmm ... the situation is/was that on another machine, with Mndrk 9.0 on it when I click on the "shutdown" button and then click "halt" the machine will power off but on the 9.2 it just goes to text words 'power down" but it does not shut the machine off. I was/am trying to find out if it can be done and if so how it is done.

My computer is set up, through the bios I believe, so that you can not shut the power off by hitting the power button you always have to shut down through windows. This became an issue one time when windows decided it didn't want to shutdown, the only way to shut it off at that point was by unplugging it. This was corrected when I had my bios flashed.At any rate I think it might be a good idea to check the bios and see what kind of options are there. Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2 both shutdown (completely off) for me as long as I make sure and exit windows by shutting down and not restarting, maybe windows sends a message to the bios?

Rolanaj: Well, since I am actually on two different machines in this post now I should mention that in the BIOS under the Power Management section both have identical setups, with the only exceptions being the IRQ and the COM port that the modem uses. I figured that was something peculiar to the way the modem was read by the way the mainboard was set up. But at the moment the "automatic shutdown" has been moved to a secondary spot. My main concern now is the machine that has the 9.0 on it not being able to connect to the web, where as, it worked fine until I tried to put 9.2 on it which it did not like at all, kept getting various errors "while installing this or that package" so reloaded the 9.0 back and now no web connection. So now I am trying to figure out where the web went on it.