Mandrake shutdown/power off

longgone

o:) B) Well I am back with another question regarding Mandrake 9.2 vs 9.0. I just loaded 9.2 on this machine yesterday, I have 9.0 on a second machine. Here is the question, on the 9.0 machine when I am all done and close out the session and click "shutdown" the machine does all it's goodies and then up comes the "shutdown" and then the machine powers off. This is good, it is what I would also like to have happen on the 9.2 machine. Can this be done via some means where the machine will pwr down instead of running through the shut down sequence all the way to the words "power off" but instead of continuing to run it will shut down as does the 9.0 machine. B)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• quint

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi longgoneWhat happens if you type "halt" in a console ?Also have a look in "/etc/rc.d/rc.modules" . . . . see the line

# /sbin/modprobe apm

If the line is "commented" ( has a # ) . . delete the # and it will power off like usual.B) Bruno

:thumbsup: :D :D Bruno: In response ... when I type /etc/rc.d/rc.modules then click enter this is the response I get/etc/rc.d/rc.modules: line21: initlog: command not foundso after receiving that I did try the /sbin/modprobe apm just to see what I get ... it tells me no such file or directory exists am I not doing something right :D :D :huh:

Hi LonggoneSorry for not explaining this properly . . . my fault . . . When you type /etc/rc.d/rc.modules you execute it . . . . to see it you have to type:

$ cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

To edit the file the best you can do is:

$ su< password >kedit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

After editing it you can save the file and close it . . then you will have to reboot to make the changes active.:thumbsup: BrunoPS: I use kedit here to edit the file, a better editor is Vi ( safer ) but Vi is hard on novice users . . . . . but once you got this problem cleared out, please do try to learn about Vi : Vi revisited

o:) B) :lol: Bruno: Well .... I tried what you said typing the $ cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules click enter and a DOS type window opens up with a whole bunch of info on it. After it is done loading I su and then enter the kedit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and it puts up another window but the closest thing it has to /sbin/modprobe apm is #! /bin/sh and then runs off info about the programmer (I guess) but to make a lot of typing short .. I did not see that /sbin/modprobe apm anywhere on the pages that came up

Longgone:It sounds like you are pressing Alt-F2 and then running the commands. What you need to do is open a console (KDE->Terminals->Konsole) and then type the command in the console window. eg:

[owyn@Mdk92 owyn]$ cat /etc/rc.d/rc.modules#!/bin/sh# © MandrakeSoft, Chmouel Boudjnah <chmouel@mandrakesoft.com># $Id: rc.modules,v 1.3 2003/07/21 11:46:19 flepied Exp $# description: launch modules specified in /etc/modules inspired by a# Debian idea.if modprobe -V 2> /dev/null | grep -q -m 1 module-init-tools; then        MODULES=/etc/modprobe.preloadelse        MODULES=/etc/modulesfi[ -f $MODULES ] || exit 0# Loop over every line in /etc/modules.(cat $MODULES; echo) | while read module argsdo  case "$module" in      \#*|"") continue ;;  esac  initlog -s "Loading module: $module"  modprobe $module $args >/dev/null 2>&1done

Hi longgoneYou are right, it´s gone in version 9.2 . . . . how strange ! . . . . . ( they drive you crazy those Linux coders :lol: )Well we can try another trick then:Open a console and type:$ su< password ># kedit /etc/rc.d/rc.localAnd add at the bottom of the file:

/sbin/modprobe apm

Save the file and reboot . . . watch the messages during boot ( press Esc ) and see if there are no errors . . . . After a full boot, power down and see if it works.B) Bruno

Thanks Owyn, it looks indeed as if he was using the "run-command" window and not a "console" or "terminal" . . . . had not occured to me that he was trying to do it that way . . . :DLonggone . . . I never use the "run-command" - box . . . . . . always open a "DOS-like" window, that is what we call a terminal or a console . . ;)B) Bruno

:thumbsup: B) Bruno/Owyn..... I was in a consol ... MD9.2 click on menu .. click on consol and from there I did what I did. The example that Owyn put up is exactly what I had too. After that came up I knew something was not right so I came in here. BTW I have no idea how to open up a "run command" window/terminal/consol in Linux ... I can in XP ... but I am still at snails pace here in Linux. Also after I do this thing that Bruno suggested, and, in the possibility that I do get errors, am I going to be "dead in the water" or will I be salvageable. I will have more on this later since I am going to put the 9.2 on the other machine that has the 9.0 on it. I want to see if it will power down on that machine.

Also after I do this thing that Bruno suggested, and, in the possibility that I do get errors, am I going to be "dead in the water" or will I be salvageable.
Please longgone . . . would I suggest anything that would damage your system ? Or something that would be irreversible ? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :devil: No don´t worry . . . if it does not work we just delete the line you added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and all will be as before . . . :D :DB) Bruno

:thumbsup: <_< Bruno::: Well after a truly lousy day .. I am back did the following:opened consol from MD9.2 menu columnsu<password>kedit /etc/rc.d.rc.local enterthe black window opens up tells me the (I think)sysconfigcoca is running then another window opens up similiar to the one that Owyn has a little further back and at the very end I add as the last line/sbin/modprobe apm enterrebootall so far is good ... did not see any error msgs of any sortselect shutdown click okmachine sends all its shutdown/kill info to where ever machine halts allPower down ....... and nothing has changed .. it still runs on .. but since nothing happened .. I would say that command was neither good nor bad ... much better than the rest of the day has been. :ermm:

at the  very end I  add as the last  line/sbin/modprobe apm      enter
Sorry to be so picky but did you save the file before rebooting ? ( also I hope you did not type "enter" at the end of the line ) . . . But if all this is a misunderstanding please try in a console:
$ su< password ># shutdown -h now

Also please check Menu --> Configuration --> KDE --> System --> Login Manager --> ( password ) --> Sessions:Allow shutdown = EverybodyRemote = Only RootHalt = /sbin/haltReboot = /sbin/rebootSorry you had such a lousy day . . . :thumbsup: . . let´s hope this works and will shed some light on your day . . <_< Bruno

I never use the "run-command" - box
I do sometimes, eg: I just pressed Alt-F2 for run command and then enterred "kedit".I happened to be in a keyboard mood and selected kedit from the drop down list. Sometimes I don't feel like navigating menus. Other entries in the drop down include gkrellm, konqueror etc. The "options" in run command are also usefull. Lets you select run as other user, root in particular. Very handy sometimes with konqueror to be able to run as root.

Hi LonggoneBecause I´m sutting down for the night, I post you a few questions in case the above did not work . . . . hopefully if you post the answers during the night, I can post the reply in the morning ( European time ):1). Are you by any chance using the SMP kernel ? 2). Do you have a P4 HT processor ? 3). Are there any apm or acpi settings in the BIOS ? 4). Is "apmd" installed on your system ? Look in MCC package management. Or type in a console:

ls -al /usr/bin/apmd

If it´s not installed, do install it. 5). Will you post us your /etc/lilo.conf, here is how you do that: ( in a console )

cat /etc/lilo.conf

Will print the file to the screen so you can copy and paste it. :thumbsup: Bruno Notes: We should check the append line in lilo: "acpi=off" should either go or be "acpi=on" OR add "apm=smp" either apm=on. . . . . . I will write how to make those changes in a post following your post containing the /etc/lilo.conf as it is now.

:devil: Here we go::[dale@local host dale}$ cat /etc/lilo.confboot =/dev/hdamap =/boot/mapvga =normaldefault ="windows"keytable =/boot/us.kitpromptnowarntimeout =100message =/boot/messagemenu- scheme=wb: bw: wb: bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz label ="linux" root =/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount hdd=i de-scsi splash=silent acpi =ht" vga =788 read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label ="linux-nonfb" root =/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi =ht read - onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz-enterprise label ="linux-enterpris" root =/dev/hdb1 initrd=/boot/initrd-enterprise.img append="devfs=mount hdd=l de-scsi splash=silent acpi =ht" read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz label ="failsafe" root =/dev/hdb1 initrd =/boot/initrd.img append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=l de-scsi acpi =ht read-onlyother=/dev/hda1 label ="windows" table=/dev/hdaother=/dev/fd0 label "floppy" unsafe{dale@local host dale}$and there it is from lilofrom my attempts at trying to find out if apmd is in stalled the following results:ls-al/usr/bin/apmdbash" ls-al/usr/bin/apmd: no such file or directorytried thisls -al/usr/bin/apmdls: invalid option --/the only difference between the two entries is the space between the ls and the "-"and in answer to the four questions:1. Am using the kernel that it booted to by default2.. The cpu is AMD XP2100+3. In the BIOS under the power management heading the ACPI is enable .... fyi .. in the mcc there is the option of checkint this on or leave it blank ... I have tried both to no availand I am assuming that since that line that I entered in that window is still there that it was saved .. since I did not see any heading anywhere to specifically save it ... but when I re-visited that particular area to check it was still there .. so it must have been savedand also the lousy day was because of the other computer .. not this one ... the other one has some serious health problems right now/ :'( :'(

Longgone quote:

from my attempts at trying to find out if apmd is in stalled the following results:ls-al/usr/bin/apmdbash" ls-al/usr/bin/apmd: no such file or directory
Put a space between"ls" and "-al" and "/usr/bin/apmd"...fingers crossed. :devil:< ls -al /usr/bin/apmd >

OK, longgone, just to be sure of the "spaces", try this:< ls -al /usr/bin > (no need to post, since you should get very many listings; let us know what you get.) :devil:

Here's what I get:

quint@linux:~> ls -al/usr/bin/apmd/bin/ls: invalid option -- /Try `/bin/ls --help' for more information.quint@linux:~> ls -al /usr/bin/apmd/bin/ls: /usr/bin/apmd: No such file or directoryquint@linux:~>
(I think you missed a space between "-al" & "/usr/bin/apmd"). :devil:

Slackware does the same thing. It will shutdown with "shutdown -h now", but you then have to hit the power button on the case for it to fully shutdown. Very annoying :devil:

Quint: Okay,,,  #$%@^&    I  did miss the space ... so  I tried  again and  go the same no such file or directory that you got so ..... from there to  where
Bruno quote:
4). Is "apmd" installed on your system ?Look in MCC package management. Or type in a console:CODEls -al /usr/bin/apmdIf it´s not installed, do install it.
Do as Bruno suggests, he will be here soon.I was reading about your WinXP problem, and I'm beginning to wonder if they are somehow related? :devil: (I will post you an excellent link over there, that may help you.) :devil:

Sonic: Yes this is the same way, whether it is from the GUI or the Command line, after all is said and done and the "Power down"line appears you still have to hold in the "power button" for several seconds before the machine will actually shut down. On my other machine which is dual boot also (or was, sorta messed up now) it had Mdrk 9.0 on it and when you clicked on "shutdown" at the end of the session that is what it did. Sent all the required signals to shut down all running processes (as they say) and then it would also shut down power to the machine too.

On my other machine which is dual boot also (or was, sorta messed up now) it had Mdrk 9.0 on it and when you clicked on "shutdown" at the end of the session that is what it did. Sent all the required signals to shut down all running processes (as they say) and then it would also shut down power to the machine too.
yea, mandrake is the only distro that i have noticed/tried that does this.

Hi LonggoneFirst and very important: Go to the MCC --> Software Management and install "apmd" . . . . . . . As far as I can see right now that will solve your problems ! ( If not we will add an argument to your lilo )( I see you re-typed the full lilo to post it here . . . . there is however a very easy way to copy and paste info from the console in a post: simply select with your mouse and go to your post and push the middle mouse button to paste it, . . . selecting in Linux does the same action as copy in windows . . . . pasting in Linux is a simple push on the wheel of your mouse :devil::devil: Bruno

Slackware does the same thing. It will shutdown with "shutdown -h now", but you then have to hit the power button on the case for it to fully shutdown. Very annoying  :devil:
Sonic . . . In Slackware you can power down properly . . it does have the line " /sbin/modprobe apm" in "/etc/rc.d/rc.modules" . . . I´m sure because I did the tweak myself in my Slack 9.1 !!!
Slackware does not power off by default as you give the command "shutdown -h now"To address that problem: # vi /etc/rc.d/rc.modules ( as root )Look for the APM section anduncomment the line "# /sbin/modprobe apm" ( delete the # )Save the file ( give the command /sbin/modprobe apm if you don´t want to reboot ) and next time you do "shutdown -h now" as root your computer will power off as usual.
:devil: Bruno

:devil: First to Quint .... two different machines here ..... The one with the XP problem/s is not used very much at all, sort of a spare, if you will. Second to Bruno ... What middle mouse button,,, this is a Logitech Tracball,,, got button on the left, button on the right, and ball in the middle. I will have to learn that procedure, it will save lots of time. Now to the "apmd" I have not as of yet found a Software Management listing, closest thing I can find is Software Packages and in that list I did not find a program listed as apmd ... I will go back an try again.... Be back in a few.

Longgone quote:

First to Quint .... two different machines here ..... The one with the XP problem/s is not used very much at all, sort of a spare, if you will.
Sorry, been reading/searching for a few hours - guess these "old eyes" need a rest! :devil: