Call for volunteers

Owyn

After nine(9) or ten(10) tries, I finally got PCLinuxOS 5 to install to my hard drive. Iam not sure if the nopcmcia command was the trick or if it was after partitioning and formatting letting it write to fstab then install and writeting(sp?) fstab again.Anyway: System InformationGigabyte GA-8LD533-C-P Mrico ATXform factor 4 Layer PCB MotherBoardCPU Intel Celeron 2GHz w/768MB DDR-2700 Ram FSB OC to 279MHzOnboard 845GL 8Mbs Shared (to start the built-in 128DDR 8xAGP). Could use 1MBs Shared but looks better with 8MBs2 Maxtor 40Gig HD Ultra ATA-1332 CD-ROM's 1: Mat****a DVD-R 2:Lite-on CDRWFloppy Drive GenericOnBoard LAN Realtek RTL8101L Chipset " Sound (Disabled)Muse DVD 5.1 Surroundsound(sp?)Aver Media TV CardBlitzz WireLess LAN CardDual boot with LILO Win98SEWill post lspci after the movie is over. Owyn finally got my DVD player working with his Hints. You got to love him! :) mike180

Edited by mike180

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owyn

• teacher

• Bruno

• mike180

Top Posters In This Topic

Tx Mike.Sorry you had problems with the HD install. I will post a new HD install tip later today. Sorry again, but I would like you to retry the install after the tip is posted.Why are you using "nopcmcia" boot option?Glad to see your DVD is working now. There was a reason that it was the first tip I posted. I knew using synaptic and using DVDs were both going to be hot topics.Could you also post the results of$ dmesg | grep CD

hi OwynI am following the PClinuxOS tips so I can try to install PCLinuxOS on the 10GB linux formatted space. I assume the HD install tip will be in this thread. I have printouts from the PC site and additional information from ATL. Have read them and still a little apprehensive in jumping in but wish to give it a tryOne of the messages I read today was getting Mandrake 9.2 added to the lilo.conf. I believe the information I have might work, but will need a little direction

Glad to see your DVD is working now. There was a reason that it was the first tip I posted. I knew using synaptic and using DVDs were both going to be hot topics.
This information has given me a "jump start" in installing PCLinuxOS being able to watch movie DVD's on LinuxA side issue, what does this colour scheme represent in lilo.. wb:bw:wb:bw...... I gather it is the colours , but what are they and how do they display a rough guess white and black ????Charlie

I am following the PClinuxOS tips so I can try to install  PCLinuxOS  on the 10GB linux formatted space. I assume the HD install tip will be in this thread.  I have printouts from the PC site and additional information from ATL. Have read them and still a little apprehensive in jumping in but wish to give it a try
I am posting some additional tips (about 10) today. Hold off on your install until I have a chance to post them.I am including some specific updates to HD install and after-install procedures.
One of the messages I read today was getting Mandrake 9.2 added to the lilo.conf.  I beleive the information I have might work, but will need a little direction
Am also working on an expanded lilo tip.
Glad to see your DVD is working now. There was a reason that it was the first tip I posted. I knew using synaptic and using DVDs were both going to be hot topics."
This information has given me a "jump start" in installing PCLinuxOS being able to watch movie DVD's on Linux
:P
A side issue , what does this colour scheme represent in lilo.. wb:bw:wb:bw...... I gather it is the colours ,  but what are they and how do they display  a rough guess white and black ????
Hmmm. Don't know. Could not find reference in "man lilo".

Wish I had done a HD install to hdb instead of hda with my win98se; had a bad block and ended up losing the whole drive. After a Low Level format, I am now re-installing everything. This time I will install PCLinuxOS-5 to hdb and let win98se keep hda to its self. Seems like such a waste.NEVERMINDMake it totally LINUX :D B) MIKE180 :( :(

Sorry about the delay, but hd faliure cause a definite slow down. Anyway, here is the file you ask for.# dmesg | grep cdehci_hcd 00:1d.7: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB2ehci_hcd 00:1d.7: irq 23, pci mem f033b000ehci_hcd 00:1d.7: enabled 64bit PCI DMAehci_hcd 00:1d.7: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Jun-19/2.4sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda traysr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/20x xa/form2 cdda tray ;) mike180

Sorry about the delay, but hd faliure cause a definite slow down.  Anyway, here is the file you ask for.# dmesg | grep cdehci_hcd 00:1d.7: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB2ehci_hcd 00:1d.7: irq 23, pci mem f033b000ehci_hcd 00:1d.7: enabled 64bit PCI DMAehci_hcd 00:1d.7: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2003-Jun-19/2.4sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda traysr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/20x xa/form2 cdda tray ;) mike180
Sorry.Need "dmesg | grep CD" (upper case CD).

Woops. My bad.ok$ dmesg | grep CDhdc: LITE-ON DVD+RW LDW-401S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drivehdd: CD-ROM 40X, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02 Vendor: E-IDE Model: CD-ROM 40X Rev: 204 Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12 :blink: mike180SCSI enabled after HD install

• 2 weeks later...

System Info:AMD Athlon Thunderbird & Duron K7 socket A 4x AGP ATX motherboard (AOpen AK73 Pro A)Hda - Maxtor 20gbHdb - Fujitsu 30 gbcd-rw HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240Bcdrom LG CRD 8522bNV11 Geforce2 MX/MX400 Tv@nywhere tv cardVT 82C686 [Apollo Super AC97/Audio] soundcardcpu Amd Athlon 1.2 ghz cpuid 6 cache size 256Mouse labtec 2 button /scroll wheelPrimax colorado USB 19200 ScannerAOpen FM56-PM56k speakerphone PCI modemMicrosoft Sidewinder gamepad proLexmark 2030 color printerCanon BJC 2100 printer

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] (rev 03)00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP]00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 16)00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 16)00:07.4 Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant: Unknown device 8800 (rev 03)00:0b.0 Communication controller: Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp Modem (rev 08)01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev a1)
I hope that is what you want