Welcome ChipDoc...

V.T. Eric Layton

Chip, sensors input in Linux is loaded with the kernel at boot as a module. You'll need to follow the Tips in Bruno's write-up about LM-Sensors and Gkrellm to get sensors to properly load as a module with each boot. Maybe that's the issue you're having... or maybe it's early and my brain is not working. :">
My only real issue (not really a problem per se) is that I don't seem to have either fan or voltage info. This laptop might actually not even have a fan - it's always been pretty silent.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChipDoc

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• Urmas

I couldn't find the folder at first; then I realized it was /home/chip/.kde4/share/config - no big deal.
Sorry about that, Chip! I acrually got "mine" in .kde/share and NOT .kde4/share... different distros and all that.
Well at least now I know that thing's called the Activity Bar. It's back now.
So that is working as it should now?

So that is working as it should now?
It's actually working better than the original! The original had just the icon; the new version has both the icon and the title. No clue how to adjust that, but I like the title inclusion.

Hi, Chip, glad to see you here too. I don't get a chance to post much anymore, but I come by and check what's happening when I can.

Edited by ebrke

Thanks Elizabeth! It's only been a week and a half, but I'm settling in nicely here. Lots of welcomes and welcome help! I can see why you enjoy it over here. Great to see you once again!

There is a new Ubuntu release out today 10-10 2010. It is gnome release though Kubuntu is a kDE version.If you want to experience Gnome this is a great way to start.The release is Ubuntu 10.10.The previous release is a LTS release (Long Term Support).I personally don't like KDE although I keep a KDE version of PCLinuxOS 2010 around mainly to help with questionsrelated to KDE.As soon as Ubuntu 10.10 is released I will be installing it (I've already made room for it).The LTS release will remain my main Ubuntu install however.

I personally don't like KDE although I keep a KDE version of PCLinuxOS 2010 around mainly to help with questionsrelated to KDE.
I'm not a fan of Gnome but I think I have one somewhere in the garden. :thumbsup: </my satirical hat>

I personally don't like KDE although I keep a KDE version of PCLinuxOS 2010 around mainly to help with questions related to KDE.
I'm not a fan of Gnome but I think I have one somewhere in the garden. :thumbsup: </my satirical hat>
Sometimes I think I'm the only person in the Linux world who has no preference between the two. Love them both!

The last time I ran Linux (around '97 or '98) I used Gnome. I didn't dislike it, but picked KDE this time simply as a way to try something new. Admittedly, after a gap like that, Gnome would have been new too...

Guest LilBambi

I started out with playing around with my Jim's Redhat 6 in commandline. Didn't care for Gnome visually, but loved Gnome apps. So I run KDE and run mostly Gnome apps ... so does that make it Knome or GDE? ;)Good you remembered that ~/ means /home/yourusername ;)There are some really good things about getting into Linux and understand the commandline. Many things can be done so much faster at the commandline, and others are a pain in the commandline. They are getting better at replicating what can be done in the commandline with a gui counterpart. But I like the commandline for some things. I always say, whatever works for the job and you feel comfortable, unless the gui stuff breaks stuff ... can happen ... or just not granular enough control yet in the gui.

V.T. Eric Layton

Not to turn this into desktop environment debate thread, but my first experience with Linux was Ubuntu back at 6.06 (Dapper Drake). It had the Gnome Desktop. I had no issues with it, but I preferred something with a little more customize-ability. I found KDE the first time I installed Slackware. WOW! Talk about customizable. I was in love with KDE from that time on. Then...kde-demon.pngKDE 4 happened. :(I've been using Xfce in my primary Slack installation and Gnome in my secondary Debian ever since. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :thumbsup:

So I run KDE and run mostly Gnome apps ... so does that make it Knome or GDE? :)
:thumbsup: I was a big command-line guy for years. It's what originally drew me to Linux back in the Win95 days. I went on rather a long OS/2 jag about that time too. Oddly enough, that OS/2 experience is part of what got me the job at the Tampa Tribune which I had for 12 years.You're right though; some things work better in a GUI, others work better in a CLI.I really like KDE so far.

I was in love with KDE from that time on. Then...<insert creepy horror movie music here>kde-demon.pngKDE 4 happened. :(I've been using Xfce in my primary Slack installation and Gnome in my secondary Debian ever since. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :thumbsup:
I suspect that the fact that I didn't have any experience with KDE 3 kept me from any particular dislike of KDE 4 - particularly since it was beyond the first release by the time I first saw it.

I started out with playing around with my Jim's Redhat 6 in commandline. Didn't care for Gnome visually, but loved Gnome apps. So I run KDE and run mostly Gnome apps ... so does that make it Knome or GDE?
That's like me -- for example, when in GNOME, I normally use Dolphin (before KDE4, I used Krusader and Konqueror in GNOME).
You're right though; some things work better in a GUI, others work better in a CLI.
Yep!
I suspect that the fact that I didn't have any experience with KDE 3 kept me from any particular dislike of KDE 4 - particularly since it was beyond the first release by the time I first saw it.
Good point. A lot (if not most) of the complaints about KDE4 seem to boil down to the fact that it isn't KDE 3.5. Also, I'm kinda glad I waited for awhile before giving KDE4 a try. Seems that there were quite a few problems with it early on.
Then...KDE 4 happened. :(I've been using Xfce in my primary Slack installation and Gnome in my secondary Debian ever since.
Both great choices, in my opinion! My plan was to add Xfce to my KDE distros if I didn't like KDE4. It turns out that I do like it, but still I like to have Xfce installed in at least one or two distros.

V.T. Eric Layton

My biggest issue with KDE 4 was that it was too darned buggy on my system (regardless of distribution). I've tried every version from 4.0 to 4.3, none were stable. They all crashed and bugged out on my system. I gave up. I'm hoping one day (4.5, 4.6, etc.) KDE will be usable for me again. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

For me, it wasn't apps that were the issue. It was the actual KDE interface that was crashing and buggy. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

It's likely getting to be time for me to try KDE 4 again.I gave up when I tried to customize the GUI and broke it, and then restore my settings and it broke on its own. But that was in the early days of KDE 4.Sure it is much more stable now....been well over a year since I tried it.

KDE 4 came into it's own with one of the point releases of 4.4.We are now at 4.5 with point releases and are starting to see the promise of the future features.The developers were very adventurous to go this route, they knew it would be a hard road for the first several years. They are really getting to where they want to be now.Plasma, Nepomuk, Akonadi, Strigi, KWin, All the other new technology showing the proof of their promise.

That's like me -- for example, when in GNOME, I normally use Dolphin (before KDE4, I used Krusader and Konqueror in GNOME).
I didn't realize Dolphin was a Gnome thing. I've been using it since the beginning since it came with my KDE4 install.
A lot (if not most) of the complaints about KDE4 seem to boil down to the fact that it isn't KDE 3.5. Also, I'm kinda glad I waited for awhile before giving KDE4 a try. Seems that there were quite a few problems with it early on.
I don't care what package we're speaking of, there are ALWAYS at least a few problems with the first release. I believe I've got KDE4.2 at the moment (how do I find out) and it's working great for me.

A lot (if not most) of the complaints about KDE4 seem to boil down to the fact that it isn't KDE 3.5.
That's exactly the same complaint I hear about using Linux....It's not Windows!

I believe I've got KDE4.2 at the moment (how do I find out) and it's working great for me.
Easy.Open 'System Settings', click on Help on the toolbar, last choice at the bottom is 'About KDE'That is it.

Guest LilBambi
Or it's not a Mac!I even hear folks say the same thing when they move from WinXP to Win7.It's what we get used to. Human nature loves to stagnate and get comfy...but for many of us, the deeper nature is to be challenged and learn something new. Our lives have more meaning and our day feels more productive (at least in my case) if I learn something new every day.

That's actually a legitimate concern in many cases. Neither Photoshop nor my AirCard would run under Linux last time I tried it. But a dozen years have gone by since then and now my AirCard works fine and GIMP does everything I need. Linux, here I am!

Open 'System Settings', click on Help on the toolbar, last choice at the bottom is 'About KDE'
Which, of course, would be a whole lot easier if I could FIND something called "System Settings"... sigh. I've been doing this less than two weeks and still am not completely familiar with the architecture of this thing. Help!

Human nature loves to stagnate and get comfy...but for many of us, the deeper nature is to be challenged and learn something new. Our lives have more meaning and our day feels more productive (at least in my case) if I learn something new every day.
The day I stop learning stuff is the day you might as well just put me in the ground. I've been having a simply wonderful time navigating my way around Linux these past couple of weeks!Would have been massively frustrating without all the help I've gotten though - thanks guys!

Which, of course, would be a whole lot easier if I could FIND something called "System Settings"... sigh. I've been doing this less than two weeks and still am not completely familiar with the architecture of this thing. Help!
System Settings is the icon that looks like a crossed screwdriver and crescent wrench in KDE.If it's not on the taskbar, click on the "K" menu icon on the taskbar. It is on the favorites pane that opens by default. Also, on the settings menu under the "K".

System Settings is the icon that looks like a crossed screwdriver and crescent wrench in KDE.If it's not on the taskbar, click on the "K" menu icon on the taskbar. It is on the favorites pane that opens by default. Also, on the settings menu under the "K".
Yep, there it was! There are actually two icons with crossed tools - I picked the one in the blue circle. Of course it was the other one I needed. But now that I've found it, I know for sure that I'm running KDE 4.5.2 - thanks!