• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChipDoc

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• Urmas

RIGHT click the "K" on lower left corner, choose "Menu Editor".Into "Internet", create a "New Item":See the blue "planet icon"? Yours looks like a question mark, right? Click on it, and you can choose an icon for your entry.That done, you can "copy" the new menu entry to the panel by RIGHT clicking it and choosing "Add to Panel". And:
It's that first one which was the real key. Told you I tend to miss those things which are staggeringly obvious! After that it was a piece of cake - I even used GIMP to create a cool little Verizon icon. And the whole thing works like a charm. Now I've got to figure out how to uninstall the autolaunch I've got set up and set up the autolaunch with the new thingie.Thanks for the help!

Welcome to BATL, ChipDoc. :) Some of us use KDE, some Gnome which are the 2 biggest desktop environments in terms of install size and resource usage, and also the most popular. Some use more lightweight setups like Xfce or LXDE (which runs great on my EeePC). For some reason Eric's computer is allergic to KDE4. :D :D security breach said Gnome is easier to configure, but I think it's just because KDE has way more configuration options. Gnome is designed to be simple. I personally use and recommend KDE. :hysterical: B) You'll find a wealth of knowledge and support here. We're not all hardcore experts, but if there's a problem to be solved we usually keep beating it over the head until it is. :lol:

Guest LilBambi

Hi Chip, a good place to start getting a handle on where programs are, could be to right click on items in the Start Menu and looking at the properties. It will show the location for the executable in the properties.I love KDE ... it has always been my favorite. :hysterical:

Hi Chip, a good place to start getting a handle on where programs are, could be to right click on items in the Start Menu and looking at the properties. It will show the location for the executable in the properties.
Oh I've already tried the obvious stuff. But when I right click on items in the Start Menu, the only options I have are Add to Favorites, Add to Desktop, and Add to Panel. When I click on items in the panel, I get more options, but nothing that lets me check out the properties. Oh well, I'll figure it out sooner or later.Probably sooner, since I'm having so much fun playing with this thing!

urmas@hyrysysy:~$ whereis firefoxfirefox: /usr/bin/firefox /etc/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /usr/share/firefoxurmas@hyrysysy:~$ whereis operaopera: /usr/bin/opera /usr/lib/opera /usr/share/opera /usr/share/man/man1/opera.1.gzurmas@hyrysysy:~$ whereis gimpgimp: /usr/bin/gimp /etc/gimp /usr/lib/gimp /usr/share/gimp /usr/share/man/man1/gimp.1.gzurmas@hyrysysy:~$ whereis evolutionevolution: /usr/bin/evolution /usr/lib/evolution /usr/share/evolution /usr/share/man/man1/evolution.1.gz

See a pattern here? :hysterical: As for [user] configuration files: they are in your /home directory – hidden (file/folder names begin with a dot – e.g. ".java", ".mozilla")... in order to view them, you have to tell your file manager to show hidden files.

Yep, I see the pattern! So I tried it myself and that raised a few more questions...

[chip@localhost ~]$ whereis firefoxfirefox: /usr/bin/firefox[chip@localhost ~]$ whereis gimpgimp: /usr/bin/gimp /etc/gimp /usr/lib/gimp /usr/share/gimp /usr/share/man/man1/gimp.1.bz2[chip@localhost ~]$ whereis chromiumchromium:

Now I can't help but wonder why Firefox is in one place, GIMP is in four places, and Chromium (which I'm using to type this!) doesn't appear at all.As George Carlin said, "Well... it's a mystery!" :hysterical:

Guest LilBambi

Maybe do a: whereis chromium-browser Sometimes names are slightly different than you would think initially, especially if the name could be multiple things, as in Chromium the browser, Chromium the OS, chromium the Firefox theme, etc. Google I think was a bit foolish in one way to name their browser after a component of Firefox, but then they made sure that people would see it without a lot of intensive marketing. :hysterical:

Yep, I see the pattern! So I tried it myself and that raised a few more questions...
[chip@localhost ~]$ whereis firefoxfirefox: /usr/bin/firefox[chip@localhost ~]$ whereis gimpgimp: /usr/bin/gimp /etc/gimp /usr/lib/gimp /usr/share/gimp /usr/share/man/man1/gimp.1.bz2[chip@localhost ~]$ whereis chromiumchromium:

Now I can't help but wonder why Firefox is in one place, GIMP is in four places, and Chromium (which I'm using to type this!) doesn't appear at all.As George Carlin said, "Well... it's a mystery!" :hysterical:

/usr/bin/gimp is the actual program, /etc/gimp contains the global configuration files (like Win registry but using human-readable text files), /usr/lib/gimp contains libraries that can also be shared with other programs (kinda like dll files in Windows) and /usr/share/ usually contains the documentation and resources like icons and texture files etc. /usr/share/man/man1/gimp.1.bz2 is the man file, many programs have a help file called man. Try the command
man gimp

to see it. That's probably a simplified explanation though. I don't know where chromium hides though, don't use it.If you really want to see every file with the name gimp, you can use the command

locate gimp

May be a scary number of results. As that will fill a few pages on the console you can pipe it through the less command to only show a pageful at a time. Use the spacebar to scroll to the next page. The pipe symbol ( | ) tells the console to feed the result of one command to the next command. Like this:

locate gimp |less

Most of us explorers here use the command line as well as the GUI as often it gives more meaningful results quickly.Have fun exploring! :lol: :D

Edited by sunrat

Maybe do a: whereis chromium-browser
That did it - thanks!
chip@localhost ~]$ whereis chromium-browserchromium-browser: /usr/bin/chromium-browser /usr/lib/chromium-browser /usr/share/man/man1/chromium-browser.1.bz2

Thanks for the tips - they (of course) worked like a charm! I'm not kidding myself about understanding what's going on yet, but I'm beginning to understand how to find out.

Most of us explorers here use the command line as well as the GUI as often it gives more meaningful results quickly.Have fun exploring! :D :hysterical:
I'm an old DOS guy (actually I'd been playing with computers for six or seven years when DOS came out in 1981) so I'm really comfortable with the command line stuff. Even in Windows, there are a number of things which work better in the command line than they do in the GUI

Now I can't help but wonder why Firefox is in one place, GIMP is in four places...
Well, Firefox & its "Mozilla siblings" do have a lot in common, so:
urmas@hyrysysy:~$ whereis mozillamozilla: /usr/lib/mozilla /usr/share/mozilla

Oh, and... here is the bible:Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

/usr/bin : This is the primary directory of executable commands on the system./usr/lib : includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts. Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data exclusively used by the application must be placed within that subdirectory. /usr/share : is for all read-only architecture independent data files. This hierarchy is intended to be shareable among all architecture platforms of a given OS; thus, for example, a site with i386, Alpha, and PPC platforms might maintain a single /usr/share directory that is centrally-mounted. Note, however, that /usr/share is generally not intended to be shared by different OSes or by different releases of the same OS.Any program or package which contains or requires data that doesn't need to be modified should store that data in /usr/share (or /usr/local/share, if installed locally). It is recommended that a subdirectory be used in /usr/share for this purpose.Game data stored in /usr/share/games must be purely static data. Any modifiable files, such as score files, game play logs, and so forth, should be placed in /var/games.
:hysterical:

It is everyone else who is weird. :D Long live the Geeks :hysterical:
I knew it couldn't be me that was weird. Never thought anyone else realized it.With the crazy ride technology is, the geeks rule the world.

securitybreach
I knew it couldn't be me that was weird. Never thought anyone else realized it.With the crazy ride technology is, the geeks rule the world.
Very true :hysterical:

I'm gathering that Gnome is the usual GUI of choice here?
There's at least one person here (me) who can't seem to make up his mind...Got GNOME, KDE 3.5, KDE4, Xfce, LXDE, Openbox, and Fluxbox all installed here -- for the most part, at least a couple of DEs and/or WMs to choose from on each distro. I just like a change of scenery every few days, I guess.