Welcome ChipDoc...

V.T. Eric Layton

Sorry I'm late to this party...welcome aboard ChipDoc....about KDE...once you get use to it...KDE can be fun...or torture, depends on your point of view..time of day..alignment of the planets..etc etc.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChipDoc

• V.T. Eric Layton

• securitybreach

• Urmas

... tolerance for frustration, etc! I've been having a GREAT time with this thing! To be fair, I'll probably try other environments once I've grown bored with configuring KDE, but that's still at least a week or so away.Oh and thanks for the welcome, Barry! It's pretty cool how so many folks are jumping up to offer help to a newbie like me.

Ooooh, Chip said the N word!

"We try to avoid the word "newbie", it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification" - Bruno

Remember those words in a year, abarbarian... :hysterical: Thanks too for the warm welcome. A lot of these boards are there and filled with intriguing info, but there's nobody actually there to chat with. A place like this runs on interaction and, once the people leave, the place gets a bit musty. Conversation keeps the place fresh! :)

V.T. Eric Layton
Sorry I'm late to this party...welcome aboard ChipDoc....about KDE...once you get use to it...KDE can be fun...or torture, depends on your point of view..time of day..alignment of the planets..etc etc.
That has to be the best description of KDE I've ever seen, Barry. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

ARRRRRRRRRRRGH! shocked.gifSue's right! Just in case you didn't see that... here it is again:QUOTE (Bruno @ Forum May 25 2003)We try to avoid the word "newbie", it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification. --BrunoOK, now that that's taken care of...

I absolutely agree that it shouldn't be used as a term of disparagement, Eric. But it was self-referential there, and it did seem to be a pretty good description for someone who had all of two days experience...Still, out of respect to Bruno, I'll refrain from using it in the future. Now the only question is whether to go all passive-aggressive on your posterior and come up with some term that's FAR more disparaging! :hysterical:

Edited by ChipDoc

Eric- Good to see ya Buddy, hope all is better and getting mo better ...Yeah I think KDE has that ying/ yang affect...pure joy and pure misery(at the same time) I still can't explain why I prefer it...probably same as why I prefer Mandriva.. :thumbup: (though I have to admit I do have a few systems with Gnome as the primary ..and no that doesn't mean I've switched...I have a few boxes that are KDE challenged.)

V.T. Eric Layton
....and it did seem to be a pretty good description for someone who had all of two days experience...
Nope. Here at BATL, you are a "new LInux Explorer or Adventurer", never a n*****. :teehee:=====Hiya, Barry! Yup! Things getting MUCH MO BETTER! Thanks for asking. :whistling: It's good to be back. :thumbup:

It's good to be back. :thumbup:
Glad to see you're back and posting frequently.I was getting worried. While you were away securitybreach was really gaining on your post count.

securitybreach
Glad to see you're back and posting frequently.I was getting worried. While you were away securitybreach was really gaining on your post count.
Who me? Never.... :thumbup: :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton
Yeah, with that blabby SecurityBreach and now Chip-Flapping-Jaws-Doc around, I'll have to really turn the ol' posting machine back into high gear if I want to maintain my vaunted position in the top ten blabbers of all time at Scot's. >_

Yeah, with that blabby SecurityBreach and now Chip-Flapping-Jaws-Doc around, I'll have to really turn the ol' posting machine back into high gear if I want to maintain my vaunted position in the top ten blabbers of all time at Scot's. :hysterical:
You needn't worry for a while, Eric. I'm actually feeling like a slacker here. Heck, I'm down under 20 posts a day!I guess that's what comes from playing with the OS instead of chattering. Once I get that settled down the way I like it, my posting will probably start to pick back up a bit.Incidentally, I really like GKrellM - I've been playing with it and finally gotten that magic combination of showing what I want in a format which I can actually read!

The funny part is that the thing which really got me hung up wasn't any of the system monitors themselves, it was the Moon Calendar. There were all sorts of cool options, but selecting them didn't seem to make any difference! I beat my head against it for hours before discovering that all of those options appeared in a mouseover popup window! :hysterical:

Thanks for the links, but my system is apparently different. It's simply not detecting either fan or voltage sensors. Oh well, the Temp works fine, and that's what I was really looking for.

V.T. Eric Layton

Did you follow the "sensors detect" step in that Bruno Tip? It will tell you what type of chip you have on your mobo and which sensors to enable/initialize at boot up.

Sure did. Here's the result:

[root@localhost ~]# sensors-detectShutting down sensord:                                          [  OK  ]Removing sensors modules: # sensors-detect revision 5818 (2010-01-18 17:22:07 +0100)# System: TOSHIBA Satellite L355# Board: Intel Corp. Base Board Product NameThis program will help you determine which kernel modules you needto load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safeand recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,unless you know what you're doing.Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no): ySilicon Integrated Systems SIS5595...                       NoVIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors...                          NoVIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors...                            NoAMD K8 thermal sensors...                                   NoAMD Family 10h thermal sensors...                           NoAMD Family 11h thermal sensors...                           NoIntel Core family thermal sensor...                         Success!    (driver `coretemp')Intel Atom thermal sensor...                                NoIntel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor...                         NoVIA C7 thermal sensor...                                    NoVIA Nano thermal sensor...                                  NoSome Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write tostandard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): yProbing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2fTrying family `National Semiconductor'...                   YesFound unknown chip with ID 0xfc11Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4fTrying family `National Semiconductor'...                   NoTrying family `SMSC'...                                     NoTrying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'...               NoTrying family `ITE'...                                      NoSome systems (mainly servers) implement IPMI, a set of common interfacesthrough which system health data may be retrieved, amongst other things.We first try to get the information from SMBIOS. If we don't find itthere, we have to read from arbitrary I/O ports to probe for suchinterfaces. This is normally safe. Do you want to scan for IPMIinterfaces? (YES/no): yProbing for `IPMI BMC KCS' at 0xca0...                      NoProbing for `IPMI BMC SMIC' at 0xca8...                     NoSome hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usuallysafe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have anyISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (YES/no): yProbing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290...       NoProbing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290...       NoProbing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290...                   NoProbing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290...                   NoLastly, we can probe the I2C/SMBus adapters for connected hardwaremonitoring devices. This is the most risky part, and while it worksreasonably well on most systems, it has been reported to cause troubleon some systems.Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no): yUsing driver `i2c-i801' for device 0000:00:1f.3: Intel 82801H ICH8Module i2c-dev loaded successfully.Next adapter: intel drm CRTDDC_A (i2c-0)Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): yNext adapter: intel drm LVDSDDC_C (i2c-1)Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): yClient found at address 0x50Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'...                     NoProbing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'...                     NoProbing for `SPD EEPROM'...                                 NoProbing for `EDID EEPROM'...                                Yes    (confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)Next adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at 6000 (i2c-2)Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): yClient found at address 0x50Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'...                     NoProbing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'...                     NoProbing for `SPD EEPROM'...                                 Yes    (confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)Probing for `EDID EEPROM'...                                NoClient found at address 0x52Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'...                     NoProbing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'...                     NoProbing for `SPD EEPROM'...                                 Yes    (confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.Just press ENTER to continue: yDriver `coretemp':  * Chip `Intel Core family thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): yLoading sensors modules: Starting sensord:                                               [  OK  ]Unloading i2c-dev... OK

As you can see, besides the Intel Core family thermal sensor, the only thing it finds are EPROMS. But as I said, I was mostly interested in monitoring the temperature anyhow.

Curiouser and curiouser! I accidentally deleted my temperature widget and restored it - now it has four board temps instead of just two! I guess it did something after all... :thumbsup:

Does a reboot fix this? :thumbsup: If not... the configuration files for widgets/plasmoids are in /home/chip/.kde/share/config .See if there are "double entries" for your misbehaving gizmo in /home/chip/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletrc .Either try with deleting the double entry, or – if you prefer a slash and burn approach – delete all plasma configuration files and [re]start off a clean table:

rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*

Does a reboot fix this? :thumbsup: If not... the configuration files for widgets/plasmoids are in /home/chip/.kde/share/config .See if there are "double entries" for your misbehaving gizmo in /home/chip/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletrc .Either try with deleting the double entry, or – if you prefer a slash and burn approach – delete all plasma configuration files and [re]start off a clean table:
rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*

Well first off, thanks for pointing out the slash and burn approach - I'm not ready for that yet, but I will be soon enough and it's nice to know it's out there.I don't think rebooting actually had anything to do with it. I deleted and restored the widget within the same session. And I have rebooted MANY times without seeming to affect this thing one way or the other.I couldn't find the folder at first; then I realized it was /home/chip/.kde4/share/config - no big deal.There's an enormous amount of stuff in plasma-desktop-appletrc. I'm loathe to adjust anything at all until I understand it a bit better, but there weren't any obvious dupes other than the desktop itself. I'm guessing that relates to the fact that I have four desktops.I'll keep puzzling over this thing for a while. Thanks for the help!

Oh, one more thing I need help with... sighYou know that place in the bottom panel where it shows the running applications? The place is still there, but the running apps no longer appear. What's that function called and how can I get it to reappear?Don't worry, one of these days I'll become a little more savvy about all this. :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

Chip, sensors input in Linux is loaded with the kernel at boot as a module. You'll need to follow the Tips in Bruno's write-up about LM-Sensors and Gkrellm to get sensors to properly load as a module with each boot. Maybe that's the issue you're having... or maybe it's early and my brain is not working. :thumbsup:

You know that place in the bottom panel where it shows the running applications? The place is still there, but the running apps no longer appear. What's that function called and how can I get it to reappear?
Well at least now I know that thing's called the Activity Bar. It's back now. Edited by ChipDoc

Welcome, ChipDoc!I can't believe I missed this thread. Oh, well, better late than never. :thumbsup:
No problem, Peachy - thanks for the welcome! As you can see, it's hardly as if there's been nobody to chat with. It's actually amazing how many folks are out here trying to help. My only real problem is knowing what to ask...Well, that and shutting up! :">