KDE/GNOME/X??? GUI's

kamicota

I no longer have Windows on this hdd, and I'm not very familiar with SuSE's partitioning tools, but the Mandrake install CD (#1), can take care of the partitioning...you must be very careful, however. I see from your post that "F" is "/dev/hda7" - if this is where you would take the space from, you should write it down, because Mandrake will call it: "/dev/hda7", not "F". Before I would proceed, I would make a complete "backup" of that partition...be it to CD's, or to another partition. Have a well-thoughtout plan, and all will be fine! And fun!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• quint

• teacher

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Most of my work on there can be cdr'dAnd we have been in with Suse's CD#1 and also with Mandrakes CD#1 as mandrake was on before SuseYou know there are $500 AMD XP 2500 computers in Calgary and wonder if thats the way to go ehand have one for Linux & the other for MSBy the way Quint WHERE do you Live, It is only just after midnight here and on the Easyt coast after 2.00am If this is Personal please excuse the forthrightnessColin :huh: :lol: ;)

I will be "hitting the hay" very soon, but will be back tomorrow...by that time, you'll probably already have Mandrake installed and running, as I'm sure Bruno and Julia will walk you through everything. They will probably be here in a couple of hours. :lol: If you do start now, please refer to this webpage, as it is very helpful:Mandrake 9.1 install...as well as this one:Basic install tipsGood fortune.

Great THANX QuintDon't hold your breath about having Mandrtake on tomorrowBut I have and ACE up my sleeve with a friend here in Soarwood B.C. that might want to give this a try as he is on his way to Suse tooColin :lol: :huh: ;)

LOVE the FLAGI FEEL as if I have been in the Bi-Centennial Time Warp trying to get up and knowledgable with linuxAnd AM GRATEFULL For allt the HELP :lol: :huh: ;) Colin

ColinI see Quint told you to expect us about now. Have not decided if I am up for the day yet but do I understand you are about to install Mandrake 9.1 on your hda7? What do you need to know in order to get started?

At this point in time I'm hoping to take some space from my F windows drive that may hda7.It is a 10G & I could possibly use 6/7G and release it for mandrake to come along side Suse But will probably ask a friend to help me here to as it means puttoing in Suse #1 CD and doing some Juggling with this extra space for MandrakeThis seems a little precarious to say the leastLike Quint says I'd probably have to CDR my work on F and as there are no programs running on it I should be OK with a couple of Gigs left for Win98.Yet now that I think of it It may even all be made available if I just use Win 98 Drive D for both programs my grahpics, Writings and Downloads as that is a 11G driveSo as of now I am still up in the air especially as it is 2 am or so here and still wrestling with the planOh well that was a little long winded <_< Thanks for the come back JuliaColin :thumbsup:

Sounds like you need a good night's sleep at this point. Never mess with partitions when you are tired. You are more likely to make errors.Clean up your space on your drives, get some sleep, and then we will be ready to go in and start your install. I don't think you need to do the SuSe CD1 and the Mandrake CD1. Mandrake does a nice partitioning job. You can resize partitions and it will tell you how much space is there. Besides I doubt Bruno is on for a couple of hours since he stayed up so late last night. I won't be on this afternoon but he probably will be as well as others that can walk you through it.

You must have seen my eyes they are just about closedHad even a better thought Just use F drive for mandrake and Yes the Mandrake # 1 CD will partition it/them for me as I have used a couple of the earlier releases.But how this goes with Multi Booting scares me a little but we have to see :thumbsup: Thanx again JuliaColin

But how this goes with Multi Booting scares me a little  but we have to see
Multibooting is a breeze Colin . . . as long as you make sure that you´ve got boot-floppies of every distro before you overwrite the MBR with the Mandrake LILOKeep us posted,:thumbsup: Bruno

But But BUT here is another hurdle, the possibility of messing around with the windows Fat 32 Here is my Techie Guru's Observations "with your hard drive already having one primary partition, and an extented partition with multiple logical drive letters inside it, trying to extract a logical fat32 drive area from the extended fat table and using it as an ext2 or ext3 may corrupt the origanal fat32 table of the extended partition you are using now." :( :blink: :whistling: So where doesd this leave me now PLUSSuse has the grub Loader while Mandrake has liloWill my learning curve level out soon :blink: :unsure: colin

Mandrake 9.1Slackware 9.0Mepis 200308Lorma 4.0rc2Conectiva 9.0VectorSOHO 3.2Mandrake 9.2 (testing)Vector 4.0RedHat 9.0DamnSmall 0.4.10Knoppix 3.3 Slackware 9.1ALT Jr. 2.3bSuSE 8.2Mandrake 9.2 (non-test) :lol:  :blink:  :unsure:  :whistling:  :thumbsup:P.S.: Colin, you can do it...I did! All the info necessary, is found in the "ATL forum". :blink:
But has anyone configured a USB printer attached to XP and tried to share it over the network to a Linux host? Have tried repeatedly in Mandrake 9.1, 9.2 and SuSE 8.2 with no success. :(

Hi Peachy Thanx for the ALTforum with respect to Win98/Suse/Mandrake and reformating Drive F to linux the main apprehension I have is with possible destroying of my Win 98 Fat Table In the Extended partions where my D,E & F Drives and possibility of not accessing my programsI only have c10G for Suse right now and don't know if that is enough for Both suse & Mandrake :unsure: :blink: :whistling: colin

Colin, don't sweat the FAT32 partition issue. I've had no problem installing/re-installing SuSE/Mandrake/Red Hat on one of my multiboot monsters that has XP and 98, too, spread across two drives.

Peachy was yours a similar addition like I am considering which is with my partitioned 40G Drive:-With C,D,E & F for 98 and the ones Suse made for me I would love to remove F drive & make it mandrakes drive & let Mandrake partition it it's way.Hope this isz clear as even I have trouble explaining as well as writing my intentions :blink: :unsure: :whistling: colin

Hi Peachy Thanx for the ALTforum  with respect to Win98/Suse/Mandrake and reformating Drive F to linux the main apprehension I have is with possible destroying of my Win 98 Fat Table In the Extended partions where my D,E & F Drives and possibility of not accessing my programsI only have c10G for Suse right now and don't know if that is enough for Both suse & Mandrake :unsure:  :(  :whistling: colin
Hi Colin,My advice is that if you are apprehensive, then do not proceed. Wait until you are able to purchase another hard-drive, then there will be no chance of destroying your Win98 partitions/data. :blink: 10GB would probably be sufficient for SuSE & Mandrake, but I think they would feel "cramped". best fortune to you...have fun deciding what to do. :blink:

Peachy quote:

But has anyone configured a USB printer attached to XP and tried to share it over the network to a Linux host? Have tried repeatedly in Mandrake 9.1, 9.2 and SuSE 8.2 with no success. 
Can only speak for me...don't have a USB printer or share over a network, also haven't had XP on this hdd or my other for months; besides, Peachy, you are way beyond my abilities - in all aspects of computing. I look to you and Bruno and Julia and others first and foremost.

Peachy quote:
But has anyone configured a USB printer attached to XP and tried to share it over the network to a Linux host? Have tried repeatedly in Mandrake 9.1, 9.2 and SuSE 8.2 with no success. 
Can only speak for me...don't have a USB printer or share over a network, also haven't had XP on this hdd or my other for months; besides, Peachy, you are way beyond my abilities - in all aspects of computing. I look to you and Bruno and Julia and others first and foremost.
Thanks quint, but, I don't know everything... :whistling: Linux and printing has never been my forte, but I brought my old dot-matrix printer to work so maybe I will hook it up to one of my lab machines and see if I can print.

Peachy was yours a similar addition like I am considering which is with my partitioned 40G Drive:-With C,D,E & F for 98 and the ones Suse made for me I would love to remove F drive & make it mandrakes drive & let Mandrake partition it it's way.Hope this isz clear as even I have trouble explaining as well as writing my intentions  :blink:  :unsure:  :whistling: colin
Well, I started with a 9 GB drive that had Windows XP and Windows 98 as primary partitions, added a 60 GB drive and added more NTFS and FAT32 partitions. I've used Partition Magic to do my resizing; I don't trust the Linux NTFS resize tools enough to let them do it. But as you can see both drives have a mix of NTFS and FAT32 with some FAT32 in the extended partitions. Partition table errors can be simple to fix: but you must know how to use the correct software tools to do it.
Disk /dev/hda: 9115 MB, 9115361280 bytes255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1108 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hda1 * 1 784 6297448+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/dev/hda2 785 1108 2602530 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)/dev/hda5 785 789 40131 b Win95 FAT32/dev/hda6 790 1042 2032191 83 Linux/dev/hda7 1043 1107 522081 82 Linux swapDisk /dev/hdc: 60.0 GB, 60022480896 bytes255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hdc1 785 5790 40210695 7 HPFS/NTFS/dev/hdc2 1 784 6297448+ b Win95 FAT32/dev/hdc3 5791 7297 12104977+ f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)/dev/hdc5 5791 6290 4016218+ 83 Linux/dev/hdc6 * 6291 6791 4024251 83 Linux/dev/hdc7 6792 6856 522081 82 Linux swap/dev/hdc8 6857 7297 3542301 83 Linux

Think I'll MULL it over a while longer.The extra HD may be an option BOY :blink: :( :lol: these indecisive times bug me Even considered other distro's. Found Xandros supports the epson C42UX buty US$99 a little steep for a retired Canadian.There are SO many helpfull responses and i am GRATEFULBut I feel as if i have been dragged thro a hedge backwards with all these decision "Me" has to make so it is time for "ME" to dry up for a little while eh??? :whistling: :lol: :blink: :unsure: colin