• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianT1701

• Bruno

• teacher

• Owyn

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a swap partition about twice the size of the amount of memory you have. Thus if you have 256 MB of memory you should have a swap of 512. You want the swap and it does not take much space!

Brian, I´m off to work now, . . . teacher will take over from here . . . :thumbsup: ;) Bruno * My doctor says I have to eat . . . the grocery store says I need money to buy the food . . . my boss says I have to work to get the money . . . . . It´s a cruel and complicated world . . . .

[quote name='Bruno' date='Oct 24 2003, 05:01 AM'][color="grey"] * My doctor says I have to eat . . . the grocery store says I need money to buy the food . . . my boss says I have to work to get the money . . . . . It´s a cruel and complicated world . . . . [/color][/quote]The mystery is solved. Here everyone thought he didn't work and now we find out he has to work so he can eat. BrianHow is the partitioning going? Did you get your swap partition?

it is installing the system right now, i made a swap partition of 1024, without even seeing your post about the ram thing, and i have 512MB of ram, it came to me somehow to make it 1024...so it has about 10 mins to go on the install. will report in.

I´m stunned ... still don´t know where he´s getting all that time from...and now he´s off to work????Did I really read that correctly , WORK ? Bruno ??????

I didn't think he was ever going to let anyone know he actually holds down a job. I think he has a time compression machine so he can go into work like the average Joe and come out and he has worked his eight hours while only 20 minutes have gone by for the rest of us. I can't get him to admit it though! B) B) ;)

StrikerThat would have to go in the water cooler and then would he ever see it? Besides, he once posted what he does for a living. It was up for about five minutes this time of morning until I responded back in disbelief that he would tell the world. It disappeared. ;) Go do some digging. It might be elsewhere. You will note that you won't see him back on the forum now for about eight hours or so since his last post. I hear he even sleeps at night and takes time to dine!BrianAre you about finished with your install? Do I need to get the fireworks ready? Those ten minutes should be about up! Just follow the menus. Don't forget to set up a good root password you can remember and set up your Brian account. It will give you the option then to automatically log in as Brian each time. That is great if you don't have to worry about anyone else on your computer. Make the root password one that others won't stumble on if you share your computer.

well, i am writing this in linux, but i fear something has gone terrrible wrong.when my system boots there are 4 choices, linux, linus something, failsafe, and floppy. no windows?i really i am not upset about that, because i hope there is someway to fix that.so now i wonder what went wrong?also, while i am using linux, the desktop area is too large, and it scrolls from top to bottom. how do i stop that?

I hear he even sleeps at night and takes time to dine!
unbelievable ! We´ll see how he responds when he´s back from work...

We will have to fix your windows. That is simply a matter of installing it into your LILO. The screen. It looks like you have set the wrong resolution. You need to find the Mandrake Control Center. If you booted 9.2 then you start by going to the button in your lower left corner of your screen (you can get there?) and then up to Configuration and down to Configure your Computer. If you don't have the button in the corner of your screen, let me know.It will then ask for that root password. Once you have that the menu will appear. You will then go to Hardware --> Change your Resolution. Get that set up so you can see everything. Try reducing the size that it shows there. Let me know how that goes!

Teacher,I´m just following now , I won´t interrupt this from now on except when necessary. ( this problem sounds to me like a problem I had everytime I tried to set up 9.0 on my rig back then.) ;)

OK, got that screen problem fixed.Now, how to get windows, how to view the various drives i set up, and all this other stuff i have no idea on what to do.

Next step is your LILO. You first need to figure out where your Windows partition is located. While you are in the Mandrake Control Center, go to the tab for Mount Points . There you will see something that says DiskDrake helps you define and resize hard disk partitions. Click on that. A warning screen will pop up in the corner of your screen telling you to backup your data. Since we are not changing anything don't worry. If you only have one hard drive it will be labeled hda at the top tab. You will see a key across the top that tells you what type of partitions you have. The blue is for Windows. Click on the blue tab on your partition list and Under details it will tell you the size of your partition and where it is located. I have one and it is labeled as Device=hda1. It also says I gave it the name of win_c. It guesses and says that DOS probably considers that as drive C. I keep that particular drive as one where I store things I want to not be touched by any installs yet accessable by any. This particular one on my computer does not have an operating system but it gives you the idea of what to expect and the information that is ther.Now that you know the device, and the hard drive name you can add it to your lilo. Don't close out of the MCC but are you still with me on this?

LILO continued:Since you are still in your Mandrake Control Center, and you have closed out of your mount points you will see on the top screen a tab labeled Boot. Once you have clicked on this tab you see a menu item that says DrakBoot helps you set up how your system boots. You wnat that. Then at the top of the screen it will say Lilo/grub mode You are currently using LILO as your boot manager. Click on configure to launch the setup wizard. Configure. Select Configure.The next menu will say drakboot . Click the ok button. You will then click Add . It will want to know some details then. First it will ask you whether you are adding another type of OS or Linux. Of course, you will want the Other OS (Windows) .Next it will ask for a label where you will call it XP or whatever suits your fancy and for root you will indicate the /dev/hda1 or whatever partition it was where you found your Windows. Once you are done tell it ok and you will then be able to boot into your windows the next time you restart or boot up your computer. ;) Julia (Bruno's pinch hitter while he works sometimes)

fireworks.jpgSince Quint, our install King, is not up this early usually I will provide the fireworks in honor of your first Linux install! Way to go Brian!

ok, i thought that was going to work. but it didn't.it went into lilo, and the windows option was there, when i seleted it, the screen turned black with a little flashing white bar, and sat there, so i had to hit the power button and now here i am. check out screen shot snapshot3.jpeg

AAAAIIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!How did you get your windows partition at the end of the hard drive? That is your problem I believe. Windows thinks it has to be on the first partition or in the first part of the hard drive. Or what is that first partition? It looks like it says windows but it is set up with a different file type such as journalized fs. Unfortunately, I need to walk out the door to work in about one minute. I will check in as soon as I get to work and before our students arrive to see what has been figured out. My guess is at this point that you will need to do a new partition at the beginning and reinstall your windows there. Then you can have your files on the windows partition you know have at the end. The menu in your screen shot is the place to do this but I don't know if you can do it without hurting Mandrake. Can you afford to wipe everything out and start over? Bruno might have some better ideas but he won't be back on line until about 6.5 hours. What percentage of your first drive is in use and what is there?I promise I will check in as soon as I get there (about 35 minutes from now) but will only have about half an hour before duties begin.

I've got no problems with deleteing everything and starting over. I might have to because something isn't right. I noticed that I have no sound as well. i get this error when trying an mp3Application "totem" (process 2917) has crasheddue to a fatal error.(Segmentation fault)Now, question is, so i boot from the XP cd? will it delete everything, return the file system to NTFS on all parts? and then i should create new partitions? i truely have no idea what is going on.

Brian,just hang in here till Julia's back.In the maintime I'll be here ,

I've got no problems with deleteing everything and starting over.
That's a good thing. What Julia said about Windows : it has to be at the beginning of your hard disk as far as I know.Mandrake is (IMHO) notorious regarding overwriting the MBR, it happens everytime I install my 9.1 on my machine.(even while I'm installing on a separate hard disk ! ! ) Then after the Mdk install the first thing I do is popping in the XP cd and boot from that, then I do a R option (repair);Then it ask me for my admin password which I then provide, then I type :fixmbrand answer " yes" to the question windows asks me if I really want that ,then I type fixboot c (c stands for the drive from where windows boots under normal conditions at MY machine)then the obligatory question as above to answer with a " yes" ,then type " exit" ,then the final reboot back into windows .At that point I'll have my windows back and up and running.The above can come in handy when all is in good shape but mdk did screw up your mbr, so write it down in case you need it.In the maintime let's wait for Julia to call back in. Stay tuned Brian.

Here is what i'd like to do:Totally whipe this drive...Install windows XPthen that will be the first partition linux will see.So then install mandrake again, hopefully making this work.Now, I tried to boot from the xp cd, and lilo came on and put a stop to that so how do i get lilo out the the boot record?I am starting to sweat here, 7am, and I haven't gone to sleep. i think it is time to buy a mac, windows, always worked but i hated bill owning me, linux sounded great, so i try it, it goes terribly wrong, so right now the only OS to never give me any problems is the macOS.

I see,don't panic, there's no need to. If you need some rest, go ahead and take it. It's always better to start from the beginning with a fresh mind. When you're back on line, we'll be here again.And remember, " there's no business like linux business" , only in your case a few hours later. ;)

I see Teacher 's back.Hold on Brian. (I've got something in mind to get you out of there and start a fresh, but wait for Teacher first.)

Okay. First, I thought this was a Mac? I wondered why you were running windows. Options:A:1. Go back to your Mandrake Control Center and set up a 10GB partition in the first partition. Let it format it as FAT 32. Linux is not found of the newer Windows disk formats.2. Reboot with the windows CD in and reinstall in this first partition. 3. Do all your windows updates and patches.4. Insert your Mandrake disk. Do a clean install5. On the partition set up, sepecify the partitions excluding partition hda1. 6. After a successful install you should be good to go.B:1. Go sleep.2. Check back in later.3. We will brainstorm in the meantime. I have read countless places that Windows has to be the first partition. I have done dozens and dozens of installs (Don't ask but I am the first to do a new install rather than try to salvage a mess.) I have yet to overwrite Windows. Your windows is not overwritten right now. It is just in the wrong place. I have never seen it do this when it was initially set up this way. By the way, sorry I had to run out on you. If I don't get to work an hour before school starts I end up driving with hundreds of 16 year old drivers and that is scarier than I care for. I prefer a peaceful drive to start my day. B) I have found that it is never a good idea to do an install or mess around in root when tired. I end up going in circles and not thinking straight. (Yes I do think normally at times ;) !!).Let me know what option you are going to select!

Rereading your last post, if you don't care about windows then we are okay anyway. All we need to do is work on your sound. Windows by default starts off with sound muted. You need to go into your multimedia and check your aumix and your kmix and make sure settings are not set to zero!

I will try to go to sleep, but I don't know if I can. Because of my current unemployed situation i spend all day on this computer, and i need it. right, now i feel like my best friend in the hospital(yes my computer is my best friend, sad i know)...so i am worried here.