Linux here I come...

BrianT1701

Mike(LLfan) from My PC Clinic, convinced me to switch to Linux. I've been a Windows user for 8 years. So, this is a huge step for me, but finally I am going to put a stop to Bill's ownership of me(almost). I have downloaded, verified, and burned Mandrake 9.1 to CD's. I really don't see a real reason why I would need 9.2, plus I can't wait for that to be available. Basically, this is going to be a huge learning and training session for me. So, 9.1 is my choice on that.Now, where I go from here is where I am scketchy. I want to dual boot Mandrake and Windows XP pro. How this is done I have no idea. But, I have some book coming that will hopefully shed some light on that. I am just waiting for that to get here, before I start doing anything. But, if anyone has any insight so I can get an early jump it would be much appreciated.Here is my current setup:Dell 8200Pentium 2.4ghz processor512 MB of RAM80 gig HDSo here is an actual question. How much space should I give Linux on its partition, I have a lot to spare and I have no idea.So, that is pretty much where I am at. Tho, I am sure tons of more questions will be coming your way, for I am on a quest to eliminate Microsoft from my life.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianT1701

• Bruno

• teacher

• Owyn

Top Posters In This Topic

With that much space I would plan on 10 GB for Mandrake. I basically plan about 10 a distro. You really need to go and look at the Tips particullary the first section of the index. There you will find Partitions and guidance on how to set them up. Be sure to go and find the post for Basic Rules for Installs as well.Good luck with your adventure. We will be happy to walk you through it!

Thanks for your response. I've been looking through all that stuff for a few days(secretly ;) ), and right now it is all mumbo jumbo, but when it comes time to do it, and I actually have what is happening infront of me it all all make sense. I've got tons more to read before I do anything. I like to be well prepared.

Hello BrianT17011st off - welcome to the forum. :) I think you will find Mandrake 9.1 a good choice to start off with.I will make one recommendation - you may wish to use a old hard disk for your first install - just to get your feet wet with the install process. B)

HI Brian,Welcome to the forum, I tried Knoppix first and really loved it. Then I chose Mandrake 9.1 to install as it will partition your hard drive for you. I was really nervous about the install and so it took me awhile to do it. It went so smooth it was almost disappointing. Mandrake picked up everything except my winmodem, and I was able to find drivers for that too as well as the info needed to install them. 10 gig for a partition is lots and you can use whatever is left as a backup for windows and linux. If you're like a lot of us here on the forum though once you get started you may find yourself wanting to try other distros just for the fun of it.A google search on dual booting might get you some useful information, I know I had a walk through I printed off that took me through it step by step. Dual Boot MIni How ToGood luck and let us know how its going.

Hi Brain, Let me welcome you to the All things Linux forum too ! I Hope we can help you getting that Mandrake you burned to CD installed on your HD. I see you did already get all the good advice you were after . . . . so do read the things you planned to read and let´s get rolling. Looking forward to your first post done with Linux. :) By the way, did you read the post of another first time Linuxer that came over from MPC ? Here B) Bruno PS: Maybe you should talk to our good friend Zox, who has got the same avatar as you have . . . . ;) * they promise us the first snow of this season for tonight . . . . . ( since the weather seems to be another passion of yours :) )

Hello, all. Thanks for replying. I've already played around with the Knoppix distro for hours, and after a few minutes I was sure I want to use Linux. So, I am good on that end. I have everything backed-up and ready to go. If I could just get a good straight foward list of instructions on how to do this to dual boot windows xp, I would do it today.

Hi BrianFIRST:Do a good defrag of your Win XP . . . and scandisk . . Then:

Tips mandrake install ( The simple way ): 1). Go for all the defaults the installer presents you. ( do check if the partitioner leaves enough space for your Windows ) 2). Choosing packages: all on the left side the defaults + Gonme and KDE on the right ( If you do not run a server ( you absolutely need the development packages ) 3). Overview configuration . . check if there are no items left un-configured ( if so config them ) 4). Install Lilo in MBR 5). Make a boot floppy too 6). Update after install . . . 100 - 200 MB ( already ! :( Drakx, Harddrale, KDEbase, Gnomelibs Mplayer and many more) 7). Install more programs in the MCC, the default install, even with all the packages is pretty minimal, there is plenty more on the CD´s you can install with the normal "add software" in the MCC ! 8). Install anacron !!!! Have FUN !!
B) Bruno

Brian, lots of reading to do. =) Teacher provided some good links, and you will benefit from reading most of the sticky topics in this forum. But, the book I recommended you will be in more plain english and will take you through the setup process including dual boot.Teacher--10gb/distro? Wow I allocated 30 for Mandrake, 20 for Windows (which is just sitting there, and 10 for another distro which I have yet to decide on. How many distros do you run?

OK, just spent 5 hours downloading mandrake 9.2Now, the install of Mandrake will set me up to partition the drive, and dual boot XP?, If the answer is yes, then I am doing it tonight.And which file system should I choose to install Mandrake, the default option as described in Bruno's install instructions?I am all ready to go, and was just about to go for it, when I read something about installing windows first in on the of tips threads. I don't need to do this right? Just put in the mandrake cd one, and it will format and partition the drive, but then does it ask for a windows CD, or what here...yes, I am lost.

Hi Brian, Good morning ! First: Scandisk and Defrag windows. ( and make some coffee to keep your head clear. :thumbsup: )Second: Slide in Mandrake CD1 ( you won´t need your Windows CD ) Third: Follow the instructions posted Here ( Page 1, post 5, is edited to latest version ) Fourth: Don´t worry . . . . ;) . . . . it´s easier then you think ! 20 to 30 minutes later you will boot into your new Mandrake Linux :) Any more questions ? Ask them now ! B) Bruno

Right now, I have 2 partitions, the one with XP and programs is 8GB. and the other is 60 somethingMy HD is 80 gigs.Also, i just put the mandrake cd in right in windows? or boot from the cd drive?

Teacher--10gb/distro?  Wow I allocated 30 for Mandrake, 20 for Windows (which is just sitting there, and 10 for another distro which I have yet to decide on.  How many distros do you run?
As many as I want. I usually run about five. Currently I am down to just a couple with lots of empty space. I have yet to even partition half of my hard drives. I did run out of space on my /tmp last night but I had about 10 iso sitting there that I did not need.BrianWe are sitting and watching. Looking to see good results!

all my other stuff is on that 60, mp3's, photos, personal files, etc.i don't know why i made them so different in size, i think someone had suggested i leave 8gb for xp, and that is what i did, and i've yet to use it all, with all sorts of programs installed.

Do you have tons of MP3s? Any idea how much of that is actually in use. I can not imagine needing anywhere near 10 GB for all of thatl That should leave you plenty for a nice partition for Mandrake and extra left over unpartitioned for future distros!

that is what i am thinking, i'll make a partition of say 30GB for mandrake and have the other 30 for various stuff.if that sounds like a good idea...I am going to get this going.

BrianI would not touch the XP partition but just let Mandrake resize the 60 GB partition, take 20 GB ( or 30 ) off for Linux to begin with. So you only have to defrag your 60 GB partiton now. Then Reboot from the CD and change to expert-mode when partitioning questions come up, after that change back to "normal"-mode.I do not think you could/should make the 8GB XP partition bigger.:thumbsup: Bruno

I am coming to you from my very old mac.I am at the partition screen and there are many differnt choices in the thing here, in expert mode i seemount point, type, options, resize, format, mount, deletewhat do i want to choose here?

You start with "resize" of the 60 GB . . . then "type" and choose "ext3" . . . . then "format" . . . . that´s all. ( No mount points, options or mount yet ):thumbsup: Bruno