Linux here I come...

BrianT1701

other=/dev/hda1label="windows"table=/dev/hda
You see this Brian ?? . . has to be other=/dev/hda6 . . . . let´s try it again$ su< password ># kedit /etc/lilo.confchange it to: other=/dev/hda6Save the file# /sbin/liloAnd pray . . . B) Bruno

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BrianT1701

• Bruno

• teacher

• Owyn

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you go back and edit your Lilo entry to reflect this? If it is confusing to do it this way you can do it through the GUI in the MCC.

Yep . . because hda6 does not work . . . :(Post me a screenshot of the MCC partitioning agin will you ?Would you try to boot from the Dell XP CD again ??:rolleyes: Bruno

Edited by Bruno

screen shot, i don't think so, i blew away my bandwidth with that other one.and i can't upload any images to my geocities about because there is no java installed, and that looks like some instense stuff to install.i will try the windows cd now, tho i am sure it won't work.on a side note I got the sound to work, but this totem program crashes every time

All I want to know if hda1 ( Win_c ) is blue now . . .For the sound: install XMMS . . more stable . . . did you get the updates ??:rolleyes: Bruno

Brian,Just try the CD . . you never know, because your latest install cleared the way to win_c in Lilo . . . you just never know.:rolleyes: Bruno

I can't tell you how many times folks have gone back to try something they did not think would work that they tried before and bingo - it works. Dont' give up the ship. We will get this solved yet.

If your Dell disk is trash let's discuss how much do you want windows on your computer? You really can do most anything in Linux. What are your computing needs? Let's look at that and see what Linux programs are out there that will work instead?Keep hda1 free for Windows and write to Dell and tell them your restore disk does not work and you need a new one. While you wait immerse yourself in Linux!

Brian, I guess you will have to call Dell . . . they have a special boot floppy or CD to boot from and then you can boot from your CD and reinstall XP . . . . On . . . . . C: !! ( hda1 ) . . . really XP on the last partition is not the best place . . . Then, if you have a Mandrake floppy we can restore Lilo after and let it boot hda1 ( XP ) too . . Till then you will just have to get used to Linux very quickly . . . . . :rolleyes: . . . . and we will help you to do so ! :teehee: By the way did you get the updates ? I´m signing off for the day . . have to get some sleep . . o:) BrunoLOL Julia . . crosspost . . the same thoughts . . . o:)

I don't know how I did it. I selected to start windows in the lilo, and it said the floppy again, so i throw the windows xp disk in the cdrom drive, bingo it started up, i deleted all partitions, i put windows xp on c: and the rest of the drive is partitioned as d. So, now when I decide to install Linux hopefully it will work. But, I am not going to try that again until that book I ordered gets here...Link to bookI can honestly say I have neven been this happy to be using windows.I also want to thank everyone here, I am sure I'll be posting more once I decide to try Linux again.For now I am off to download the 5 million Windows critical updates.

Glad to hear you have your windows back. Honestly I think you are set now to do the install. This time using the normal instead of the advanced install. As long as you don't touch HDA1 you can't harm your windows!

Hey Brian . . . . glad you got your Windows back ! And you´re giving up already on Linux ? After all you learned and 2 successfull installs in the last 24 hours ?Come on get some good sleep and as you wake up we will start again, this time with Win on C there will be no problem at all !Thought you liked a challenge ?o:) Bruno

LOL . . . Excuses, excuses !! . . . . . . You´re just slowly backing off . . . . LOL . . . din´t you get all the help you needed ?? What more can that book give you ?? . . . . LOL :) :) o:) ;) B) Bruno

Once you had me go into that konsle thing, i was like whoa....i better learn what these crazy commands are, or atleast have some general idea.Oh and you guys are certainly a huge help. Hopefully, that book will be here today, and if it is, I'll be installing linux today. I have already thought of about 5 questions to ask you guys, but I won't until I get to the point where I need the answer.

Once you got Mandrake installed the right way there is a GUI for most operations too . . . I just use the commnadline because it´s faster and it gives me the response I want . . . . you don´t have to know all that before starting with Mandrake . . . . Just let´s get the new install going, and then you can do little bits of learning at a time . . and add 1 trick on the commandline every day . . . . . As I said, get some sleep, and as you wake up make strong coffee and come back here to fight the lions . . I´ll be waiting !o:) Bruno

I can take you through about everything you need to do and never touch the command line. Bruno is a pro at the command line and I am good about finding the lazy GUI way to do things. We can go through it all and you don't even need to touch the command line.I have many books for the short time I have been in Linux Land. Most made no sense until I started doing! Put the CD in the drive and press reboot. We will stay out of hda1 and all will be okay!I know you can do it!

Question 1.I will not touch the c: partiton which is currently 30GB or so. So I have about 40GB to play with. What and how exactly do I set those 40GB's up during the linux install. I dont' want to be caught off guard like last time.

Question 1.I will not touch the c: partiton which is currently 30GB or so.  So I have about 40GB to play with.  What and how exactly do I set those 40GB's up during the linux install.  I dont' want to be caught off guard like last time.
Default install Brian, just the way you did the very last time . . . there is nothing to it . . . remember it had Windows in Lilo on hda1 . . and there is where you did reinstall XP yesterday . . . No special partitioning, just the default . . it will recognize your Linux partition from scratch . . . nothing can go wrong . . :)I knew you would be brave enough . . . come on let´s roll !! ;)o:) Bruno