Show Us Your Real Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Mask? Guy Fawkes? I don't know what you're talking about. AHEM! ;)

Oh, the lappy is on my other desk just to the right of the desk in this pic. Here it is, actually...

th_corner_desk-2011.jpg

Oh, and I'm snapping these pics with this really cool camera that Santa (my brother, actually) brought me for Christmas:

Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-W560_Red.jpg

:w00t:

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Ian... Yeah, I like that one a lot. Here's the wallpaper --> http://abstract.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/861151/ and the matching Persona for Firefox --> https://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/persona/442724

@ Réjean... Heh! Those are just the relatively current computer books. I've got books in boxes around here that go back to COBOL and the 8080A microprocessor. ;)

@ Réjean... Heh! Those are just the relatively current computer books. I've got books in boxes around here that go back to COBOL and the 8080A microprocessor. ;)

That really brings back the memories.

My first computer had an 8080 chip. It was a Heathkit H-8 build it yourself (sort of).

http://oldcomputers.net/heathkit-h8.html

Those days were a ton of fun. Now we just unplug a card from a slot and plug in another and it works. No dip switches or assigning IRQ's. Crazy!

V.T. Eric Layton

I have a great book called the 8080A Bugbook around here somewhere. This is the processor we used in the training computers when I went to tech school back around the time Noah was building his Ark. ;)

th_8080a_bugbook.png

I have a great book called the 8080A Bugbook around here somewhere. This is the processor we used in the training computers when I went to tech school back around the time Noah was building his Ark. ;)

th_8080a_bugbook.png

Obviously, you are mistaking the 8080 chip from the mid to late seventies with it's predecessor the 8008 which is what Noah used to build the ark. :hysterical:

That was the best sounding stereo receiver I have ever heard (from any manufacturer in any price range) bar none.

It was originally manufactured in the early 60's.

I rewired it with silver coated wires I bought from the NASA surplus store and replaced the tubes with some I had seen in a brand new $10000 stereo amp (Sensuous Sounds or some other specialtyshop). I built a custom oak enclosure for it. Then I built a pair of high output speakers with matching oak finish. The set up was bulky and heavy, but the sweetest sound. If only I hadn't gotten tired of moving it when I was nomadic.

• 1 year later...
V.T. Eric Layton

My real desktop looks just a wee bit different now that I'm using my lappy instead of my recently crashed main system.

realdesk112813_zpsc952482f.png

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

No. It looks like that all the time. It's an anal thing. I have a plaque somewhere that has that quote, Fran:

"A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind." ~Albert Einstein

Friends at a place I used to work chipped in and bought it for me.

I'm a neat person, but not a very good housecleaner. While things always look neat and arranged wherever I live, the odds are good that there is 3" of cat hair and a whole herd of dust T-rexes under the beds and behind the dressers. ;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
securitybreach

Looks great--only one problem. Where's Anubis? Or is he only there when you're there?

He is outside but doing ok

• Like 1

securitybreach

Nice and neat. Bet you are gutted at loosing the vga monitor shown in post 115 :hysterical:

That was just for the Raspberry Pi of which is now headless