Arch Install

kamicota

Yep JoshWas thinking that myselfBut after around 3 to 4 hours of this PARTICULARLY with the lack of KNOWLEDGE I have with this type of install will have to RECOVER what little ESTEEM there is left with a different Distro Install on the 4600+And see what happens in the next few days as ALL 7 Operating systems will be in the process of reinstalls or new Distro Installs tooTHANK YOU so much for showing SUCH PATIENCE yourself :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Cheers for YearsColin ;) :w00t: :">

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• securitybreach

• kamicota

• V.T. Eric Layton

• zeek

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Eric --->>>FUN in a draining sort of wayJust as a sideline or aftereeffect of this last two three days --->>> fished PCLinuxOS 2009.4 LXDE out of the trash can and find that works Live anyways so well on the 4600+So thats one possibilty tomorrow when WE be in RECOVERY mode :thumbsup: Cheers for YearsColin :) :">

This inspired me to give it a go. Will do so after Christmas/New.Yrs Holidays.I was following along ( cheering for ya all the way )I'm not sure what happened ( not that I would know. I too --> just a beginner).How I was following along:I was doing all the following side-by-side to see what step you where at1) reading this thread2) seeing where you where (via SB's tutorial)3) seeing where you where at in the video (via google) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=62...l=en&view=24) seeing where you where (via Beginner's Guide) http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide It was down today.5) and now also by (link supplied by SB): http://ebalaskas.gr/archlinux-2009.08/Great effort by both of you - Colin and JoshI do have some questions:1) Do I have to install iptables seperatedly or its part of the base install? Do you use a GUI config tool (shorewall, firestarter, guarddog, etc)? Or did you start from scratch and create your own basic rule set?2) When installing Grub, does it recognize the other distros on your system or do you have to populate Grub manually to tell it how to boot the other distributions? Cheers

securitybreach
This inspired me to give it a go. Will do so after Christmas/New.Yrs Holidays.I was following along ( cheering for ya all the way )I'm not sure what happened ( not that I would know. I too --> just a beginner).How I was following along:I was doing all the following side-by-side to see what step you where at1) reading this thread2) seeing where you where (via SB's tutorial)3) seeing where you where at in the video (via google) http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=62...l=en&view=24) seeing where you where (via Beginner's Guide) http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide It was down today.5) and now also by (link supplied by SB): http://ebalaskas.gr/archlinux-2009.08/Great effort by both of you - Colin and JoshI do have some questions:1) Do I have to install iptables seperatedly or its part of the base install? Do you use a GUI config tool (shorewall, firestarter, guarddog, etc)? Or did you start from scratch and create your own basic rule set?2) When installing Grub, does it recognize the other distros on your system or do you have to populate Grub manually to tell it how to boot the other distributions? Cheers
Well I will be here anytime you want to give Arch a go. As far as your questions:1) Iptables is part of the base install. I do not use a gui for iptables though. If needed I write my own rule set. Mind you any application can be installed. I personally use IPCop and a decent router to secure my system. That and I tend to use "security through obscurity". All my services use completely different ports than the default ones.2) With grub you usually have to populate the menu yourself. By default you will only get Arch, Arch Fallback, and Windows only if you uncomment it out. Archlinux gives you a chance to do this in the installation process.Hope that helps. Also, nice find on the video. :) Thanks

JoshLearned a lot these last two days or so ESPECIALLY from your tutorial.But it's "horses for courses" when I look at my exploits and compare them even with Zeeks remarks and questions that just showed the gaps in my lack of expertise.And is why I can do many installs over the course of a week with the likes of MDV/PClinuxOS etc and even windows beacuse of the simplified methods.With Arch it seemed i was in a new world that although the last 5 or 6 hours stint did not upset me (WHICH IS A SURPRISE) it got me to realize that this type of install is not for me.Maybe it's the end result in MDV/PCLinuxOS happens in 20 mins or so and a grateful smile emerges and like many I do not wish to tweak the end result as long as Open Office/K3b/unrar can be used that seems all the pleasure that is neededCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Kamicota: If you would asked me I could of told you it would take you longer than 20 minutes to fully install/setup. The installation itself is very quick, like 3 minutes but you had problems understanding cfdisk so it took alot longer. The longest part of the setup is installing packages and setting up your systemis and that really depends on how fast your internet is. You will not setup or do anything with a mouse until you get a window manager running and then most things require editing a config file. If you are not comforable editing text files and running commands, Arch is not really for you. I should of warned you first but I was excited to see someone else giving Arch a try and I thought I could walk you through it. Now on the other hand, if you would of made it past the installation, you would of had an extremly powerful, lightweight, and easy to admin distribution.Thanks

Colin:I hope I haven't discouraged you from trying again at a future date.I was just trying to follow your journey. In time (after some R&R), look over the links to the video and pics onthe install process -- If only to see the process. As far as my questions:1) Firewall question: I'm paranoid. My ISP is via cable. 2) Grub question: I messed up Grug soooo many times. Mostly, spelling errors, forgetting to start from zero, etc.One of the reasons I am going to install ArchLinux is that I'm lookingfor a leaner distro. From what I have read, KDE4 will slow my systemdown too much, so time to try something different. For me the carrot/insentive is: "powerful, lightweight, and easy to admin " "horses for courses"a horse is a horseof course ...unless your are the famous Mr. ??Not sure if the above makes any sense - must be the tryptophan from allthe turkey. Stay optimisticCheers

ZeekI am optimistic that possibly another try with Arch will happen but not with the 64 - right now it seems destined for the IBM Pentium 4 I agree not onlly is KDE4 a hog it has a way of it's own that to me is not an improvement on 3.5 JoshI was NOT expecting a 20 min install like MDV/PCLinuxOS but they are what I feel at ease with right nowThe ins and outs of editing config files text files and not only running command but also knowing them is where I have fell short in my journey with Linux.But this aside still believe we may give the IBM a shot with 32bit - even if somewhere a;long the line I fall short and it does not work.These were new experiences and as I still have those 8 pages may look in and on seeing how Zeek and you fare with his install that is if Zeek posts about itRight now have not even touched the 4600+ as STILL have not decided which distro to install - oh well for a Scorpio that can only be a lesson in patience as is the wait time until Arch again.Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

JoahQuite often I loose sight of the fact that --->>> IT IS THE JOURNEY THAT COUNTS not the end resultThat is probably why I enjoyed the Arch ExperienceCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:

Yep Eric had a few of those in the UK the prize was the BSA 500 but thats 60years ago :thumbsup: :"> :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin :w00t: IT IS THE JOURNEY THAT COUNTS not the end result

Edited by kamicota

Yep I agree Eric ;) Seems as if the MIND had two portfolios open at the same time - 2009 and 1936 and somehow it (the mind) chose 2009 And look what happened :hysterical: Cheers for YearsColin :hysterical: