Arch Install

kamicota

Yep :"> CD nearly burned then its off to re format Linux Partitions on the 4600+ Dual Core x64And hopefully the eyes will follow all of Josh's Install notesCheers for YearsColin :lol:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• securitybreach

• kamicota

• V.T. Eric Layton

• zeek

Top Posters In This Topic

Another first up :w00t: with the downloadGot the CORE.iso from Gatech http but do not know if it the right one but will see in another 20mins or so :lol: eh???Cheers for YearsColin :">

securitybreach

Why would you format ahead of time? If you are formatting, why not use the Archlinux installer to format the partitions? Anyway, the core iso is what you want, so you are correct.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach
Righty Ho JoshBUT don't forget MDV is installed right now OK!!!Time to burn the CDThen it's OFF to the racesCheers for YearsColin :lol:
Ok cool. I will be here most of the night and tomorrow as well if you need me.Well any other time too but you know what I mean.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

Righty Ho JoshBUT don't forget MDV is installed right now OK!!!Time to burn the CDThen it's OFF to the racesCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:Josh Where is HERE because it is only 7.55pm hereDon't want you to miss your 31 yr old beauty sleepCheers for YearsColin :lol:

securitybreach
Righty Ho JoshBUT don't forget MDV is installed right now OK!!!Time to burn the CDThen it's OFF to the racesCheers for YearsColin :thumbsup:Josh Where is HERE because it is only 7.55pm hereDon't want you to miss your 31 yr old beauty sleepCheers for YearsColin :lol:
EST 9:57PM, I stay up to 3AM or so.Thanks

securitybreach
JoshThe way things are going THINK it will be way after beddybyes timeBut we will seeCheers for YearsColin :rant:
Hey no problem I will be on tomorrow and every other day plus thats 5 hours from now, I could do alot in that time.Thanks

Just to show how befuddled I am right now I potseted this in the wrong forumOOPs!!!I made partitions EXT3 and made one--->>>/ and have this message--->>>No Separate /Boot file systemYet the Windows is set as boot and Linux as /Asks Cancel and go back to fix the issues or ignore and continueCheers for YearsColin thumbsup.gif

securitybreach
Just to show how befuddled I am right now I potseted this in the wrong forumOOPs!!!I made partitions EXT3 and made one--->>>/ and have this message--->>>No Separate /Boot file systemYet the Windows is set as boot and Linux as /Asks Cancel and go back to fix the issues or ignore and continueCheers for YearsColin thumbsup.gif
Ignore and continue. I never make a /boot partition. Only a /, /home, and swap besides a couple of backup partitions,Thanks Edited by securitybreach

I seem to be in a loop[ after designating ext3 etc NOW there are thre errors shown as--->>>No file syem with /mount pointNo Swap PartotitionNo separate /boot file sytemNow with the option go back and fix or continueCheers for Years ( I THINK)Colin :thumbsup:

securitybreach

When you said:

Yet the Windows is set as boot and Linux as /
that does not make sense. The only place where I know windows can be set to boot is under cfdisk. Are we discussing the step in the partitioning for setting the mountpoints or the cfdisk part (adding/deleting partitions)?Thanks

Righty HoDid a few ESC and am n ow in cfdisk which shows Windows sda1 Primary Partition as boot and nothing in the three linux partitions as logicalCheers for YearsColin :rant:

securitybreach

In cfdisk. it is fine to set the Win as boot parameter and not for the /, Exit and save that. Next you should be on the set mountpoint part if memory serves me. I am not looking at it right now. Set the mountpoints and you should be ready to install. Make sure you install core and dev in the package section.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach

Ahh do not give up. You can do it, I promise!!! I will do everything I can to help you along the way, You will be thankful in the end, I promise.You spend a lot of time on ATL, and I can tell you have passion for Linux. You can learn anything once you set your mind to it. I know you have said previously that you just want to work. Trust me if you get past the initial setup of Archlinux, maintaining it is much easier than most distros you have ran across. Archlinux strives to be minimalistic and efficient in the way the system is ran. Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

JoshI have been back several times to try and fix as it asks and to me it seems as if each Linux partitions have multiple formats ie swap and /home etcThink I must abort and then start from scratch after seeing if windows is still in place (if NOT doesd NOT bother me as will do it again)Cheers for yearsColin :rant: OOPs!!!I made partitions EXT3 and made one--->>>/ and have this message--->>>No Separate /Boot file systemYet the Windows is set as boot and Linux as /Asks Cancel and go back to fix the issues or ignore and continueCheers for YearsColin thumbsup.gif

securitybreach
JoshI have been back several times to try and fix as it asks and to me it seems as if each Linux partitions have multiple formats ie swap and /home etcThink I must abort and then start from scratch after seeing if windows is still in place (if NOT doesd NOT bother me as will do it again)Cheers for yearsColin :rant: OOPs!!!I made partitions EXT3 and made one--->>>/ and have this message--->>>No Separate /Boot file systemYet the Windows is set as boot and Linux as /Asks Cancel and go back to fix the issues or ignore and continueCheers for YearsColin thumbsup.gif
Ok I am confused. FIrst hit enter when booting the Arch cd. Then login as root with no password. Then type /arch/setup. Then next:
The first step of the installation is "Prepare Hard Drive". After clicking this, you will be presented with another menu. Choose "Partition Hard Drives" The Arch Linux installer uses cfdisk, a CLI based partitioner. Cfdisk looks confusing at first, but is actually very simple to use. If you want to make a partition, select the item with the file system type "Free Space" and choose "New". Next you will be able to choose between a primary partition and a logical partition. Most of the time you will only need to make primary partitions, but if you will need more than four partitions, you will need to make a logical partition, which can contain many more than you will need. Next you will choose how big you want your partition to be. The first one we will be making is the root partition, which will contain all of your programs. It will need to be at least 6GB unless you will be installing a lot, then 8GB would suit better. I personally use 15gb for / but it is up to you. Cfdisk expects you to put in the sizes in megabytes. Since a gigabyte is about 1000MB, you can easily work it out. The next step will ask you whether you want your partition to be at the beginning of the free space or at the end. Choose the beginning unless you have specific needs. Now we will make a home partition, which keeps your files separate from your programs, so if you want to reinstall, your files and settings will be saved in the home partition. Next you need to make the swap partition.You should make it double the size of your RAM, so if I have 1GB of RAM, make your swap 2000MB. You will need to choose the file system type for this one, so go to "type". A bunch of numbers and file system types will appear. Ignore them and press a key. Type in the number "82". There. Now you have made your swap partition!Repeat the steps again, and when you get to when you choose which size you would like the partition, just press enter because you want your home partition to fill up the rest of your hard drive or choose the size you would like your /home. Next you need to use the cursor keys to go to "Write". Type "yes" to confirm it. Next go to "Quit". Note I always write down my partition layout since it helps when setting the mount points.The next part of the installation is "Set Filesystem Mountpoints". This means where we want Linux to find our partitions. The first partition you will choose is the swap partition. Make sure you use the partition number you made in cfdisk. The next one is the root partition you made using cfdisk. Next you will choose your file system type. I normally choose "ext3" since it the most stable IMHO. There will be one more partition left (unless you have another operating system installed) that you set as your home partition. Select it and type in "/home".After clicking done on the mount point screen, you will be asked if you want to format the partitions. Select yes for all of them unless you have a /home parititon that would would like to keep, then click no for formatting /home. Then click "Return to the Main Menu" to go back to the installation steps.
Sorry to quote the instructions from my install guide but I think we are confusing each other: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=27596So what step are you one?Thanks Edited by securitybreach

JoshWe are back to scratch --->>>aborted to see what damage I had done and with all my fiddling around losty the ability to boot into MDV but no big deal as that is about to be replaced anywaysCame back and after seeing you in you Insta ... arch post realized I hade been trying to do this without reading the print out I had done from your post so for now we probably need to sdtart all over again hu :rant: ???Cheers for YearsColin :w00t:

V.T. Eric Layton
EST 9:57PM, I stay up to 3AM or so.Thanks
Heh! Most folks know that I'm a biker here in Florida. My nickname is Nocturnal. It seems we have something in common, Josh. ;)Here's a nice pic of me from back in spring of '06 after about 23 straight hours of partying at a biker rally in Lake City, FL. I'm too old to do that stuff anymore. :w00t: 07Rally.pngA more recent mugshot:kinkos_052709.png :rant:

securitybreach

Cool. I was in Daytona Beach for 13 years so I got to go through all the Bike Weeks and Biktoberfests every year. I used to love the biker events. I imagine you have to been to quite a few of them. Is that really you? I wish we could of partied when I was in Florida. I just moved to PA last December.Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Josh and EricThere are still palpitations here after such and unauspicious start and stop at the rudimentary partitioning So what do you thinkCheers for YearsColin :rant:

securitybreach
Josh and EricThere are still palpitations here after such and unauspicious start and stop at the rudimentary partitioning So what do you thinkCheers for YearsColin :rant:
Start from scratch. Go by my tutorial word for word and if you have a question post it and we will get past it. With Archlinux, it is best to go by the instructions other wise you will get confused. Even I have to go by the guide to install Arch and I have done it many times.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

securitybreach
Will try JoshAlthough did not see anywhere to TYPE in "FREE SPACE" etc Arch cd going back in nowCheers for yearsColin :rant:
Type in Free Space? Do what? I am really confused...It says: select the item with the file system type "Free Space" In other words I was saying to make a parititon in the free space in cfdisk but seeing as you already had the partitions setup there is no need.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

That's me... both of those pics. Speaking of hijacking threads... here's my bike at that time:Heritage_01.jpgI was at many Bikeweeks and Biketoberfests over the years. Small world, huh? Sadly, I gave my bike up to my brother earlier this year so he could sell it and pay the rent where he was staying. Times are HARD. I've been unemployed now for 15 months. My brother lost his development business back in '06 and lost everything he had... homes, cars, planes, even his own Harley. It's been UGLY for both of us.Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled Linux conversation. :rant:

securitybreach

Dam* sorry to hear that Eric. Even the planes? Man it is getting rough in Florida, my friend says there is absolutly no work in Florida. Tourism has completly vanished in these times. I guess more of reason to use Free and OSS in this time of need.Well since you showed your true self here i am: http://www.imagebam.com/image/6879e757546334/Thanks

Edited by securitybreach

Josh EricThink I will have to HIJACK this thread too and GO TRY Ultimate 2.4Even reading the instructions it seems as if the easier graphical installs are my cup of tea because the same loop keeeps croping up KNOW it's NOT Arch or your install instructions it's just moi.Like I said before not e\ven up to Beginner stage with thisCheers for YeatrsColin :rant: